PlayStation VR games discussion for VR players

Oobedoob S Benubi

VEV: Viva Ex Vivo seems to have gotten a VR update.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/42092-game-thoughts/

Does anybody happen to have a European version of the game? For now all that I can conclude is that anyone with a US version will have had a VR update.

I decided to buy the game so I can now say with certainty that yes, the EU version has VR as well :)

It seems that for VR, they have toned down the level length (to 15 minutes from 30), and there are less predators.

It looks good though about two thirds in I got a bit lightheaded. It must be said that most of the VR games I already played have you sitting or standing still in the game so I have not yet played much "freeroam". Also, I turned the speed to turbo right at the start, and I've actually got the flu or something at the moment so that probably does not help.

The game looks pretty good, considering it's a €5 game made by three people. I'll play the other levels later this week.

Wohoo! :awesome:

Guess we will see how subs work in VR :awesome:

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/summer-lesson-coming-asia-english-early-2017

Oh hey, I missed this. Nice! :D

I wonder if it will come to the west after all then. :hmm:

In the end...

Maybe it's not dead :awesome:

And with that, VR is saved. :awesome:

It was touch and go for a minute there, and there were a few close calls, but VR has come back from the dead. It is now the fuuuuture. :awesome:

Edited by Undead Wolf

Gal*Gun VR has been announced! http://gematsu.com/2016/10/gal-gun-virtual-reality-game-announced

o1mHhVZl.jpg

They haven't said what platforms it's coming to yet, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that it'll be coming to PSVR.

I have just one thing to say... HELL YES! :awesome:

More reason to get VR. Thanks for the info Mio-chan. 

Gal*gun

The Idom@ster

Summer Lesson.... Oh yes!

For those who haven't seen the thread I made, Sports Bar VR is a really fun game I bought a few days ago. The mini-games in it can get a little glitchy, but the social interaction between people is hilarious. It's like they're actually there. It's cool for those who have friends that are around the world. People socialize/role play more than seriously play the mini-games :P

Edited by DuckSwimmer

After a few days of playing in short burst, my cybersickness is pretty much completely gone. Decided to try the Driveclub demo again to see if it really made a difference. It did, no motion sickness at all. Ended up buying the game today and it's awesome! There's a large game in there. Tons of cars, tracks, the social aspect is fun (never played the original Driveclub, but I'm guessing it's the same?), it's just awesome. The low resolution I hear mentioned a lot is more of a PSVR problem than a Driveclub problem. A higher resolution would be even better, but the game's really playable.

Also bought Battlezone a few days back. There's a fantastic game in there (feels really smooth, looks great, controls well), but it's just too hard for me. I'm struggling to complete a short campaign on easy. There's a thread in the Rebellion forums about the difficulty and sadly that's getting a bit too harsh, but it's nice to read that they're hearing the complaints and are working on it.

• Like 1

Anyone here played RIGS? Curious about impressions of that one.

I only played the demo, it was smooth, colourful and looked really good, just not my type of thing to keep me interested for very long.

I would like to add that when I looked down from up high it really did feel like I was up in the air and I momentarily had vertigo, which is not a criticism, more of a compliment.

• Like 1

So, disappointing news for me...

During Gunjack play, it seemed like the whole thing was "off" somehow, tilted. The cockpit moves along with your view and it was not completely straight. This had nothing to do with the camera following unfortunately... turns out there's either a calibration problem or the screen in the headset is not put in completely vertically.

Once I saw it, I could not unsee it... all static screens that were supposed to be straight in front of me were slightly tilted. I returned the set, the manager in the store agreed that it was defective and I got a new one right away.

Sadly, the new one had the same problem...

The store fully refunded my set, I did not want to wait on another one just to risk the same problem again. I want to get PSVR back but first they need to eliminate a couple of problems for me. I've put the refund into all pre-orders I have open and the rest is going to the bank so I have already started saving for a PS4 Pro / PSVR combo. I'm definitely switching over, but unfortunately the VR adventure is on pause for me, for now. Two defective sets in a row is too much for me for this price.

That's a shame mate, two sets same issue.

As you know i had to return my headset 3 days after owning it cos the image was all blurry (was ok on the first day).

I thought everything would look great on my new set but Summer Lesson still looks massively blurry and all out of focus, not at all like it does in broadcasts on You tube, and just to see if this was still the case for me when I broadcast I actually did so today... and it looks a lot better in broadcast than it does in actual play.

^That is my upload and It does not look like this whilst actually playing.

That's a shame mate, two sets same issue.

As you know i had to return my headset 3 days after owning it cos the image was all blurry (was ok on the first day).

I thought everything would look great on my new set but Summer Lesson still looks massively blurry and all out of focus, not at all like it does in broadcasts on You tube, and just to see if this was still the case for me when I broadcast I actually did so today... and it looks a lot better in broadcast than it does in actual play.

^That is my upload and It does not look like this whilst actually playing.

I'm still a bit confused about your blurry issues... I can't talk about Summer Lesson since I do not have it but you also claimed Robots Rescue to be kinda blurry (though less than Summer Lesson) and I thought that was one of the crispest games on VR.

Combined with you being bothered by the screen door effect, I'm tempted to say that your eyes do not accept VR. Time and experience will tell if it gets better...

Yes we did speak of this before but i cannot accept that my eyes do not accept PSVR.

My wife said the same thing about Summer Lesson, I only mentioned my experience to her and asked her to tell me hers afterwards and she said it was out of focus and blurry, eye strainingly so if I am being honest and this is on 2 different headsets, the downside is that as it is not a common game it is not something mass opinion can help with.

Rez plays wonderful, as did EVE.

Edit: The screen door is certainly visible in some things more than others, although I would say a little less so on my 2nd headset which leads me to think that these headsets might be inconsistent in their production, I realise this is a bold thing to say but I can only go on mine and now your experiences of 2 week ownership and how between us we have returned (at present) 3 headsets back to the store.

Edit 2:

I broadcast Resident Evil Kitchen demo last night (link below) and this looked mostly ok, I think it was held back by the limitations of the existing PS4 and this will be boosted by the PS4 Pro.

As before broadcasts look better than actual first person gameplay, but this didn't look too bad to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmiMxpi3Zo

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Anyone here played RIGS? Curious about impressions of that one.

It was the game I was most excited about, but one of the biggest turn offs for me. Just how you're going through the tutorial and it seems like they "make you" go through some controls that'll definitely make you sick, then right after they're like.. would you like to switch it to the analog sticks instead? Or control your spawning through the map menu?

I mean good for them having us try out the full game, but that game could get you pretty sick real fast.. I haven't picked it up since unfortunately..

I'm still a bit confused about your blurry issues... I can't talk about Summer Lesson since I do not have it but you also claimed Robots Rescue to be kinda blurry (though less than Summer Lesson) and I thought that was one of the crispest games on VR.

Combined with you being bothered by the screen door effect, I'm tempted to say that your eyes do not accept VR. Time and experience will tell if it gets better...

Just a follow up on this as I have had a chance to exchange messages with someone here at PSNP, I asked him how Summer Lesson was for him and whist he did say he didn't mind if I quoted him I didn't ask him if it would be ok to name him, so I won't.

''Hello,

This is the same for everyone I looked into it also to see if it was my VR playing up but after reading many forums the game has been designed that way''.

He went on to say...

''unless Hikari is rather close or almost in the middle of the screen and not moving much that she can be out of focus or blurry''.

And this...

''A lot of the background items are also blurry, I did find getting closer to Hikari made it slightly better on the eyes and to view in general''.

Hopefully this will not be the trend with smaller budget titles on PSVR.

Edit: I have just played the Wayward Sky demo and this was amazing...

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of mini reviews of VR games I just completed that don't seem to be getting any attention really.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Assembly:

So far, this is the best/most complete experience I have had on PS VR.

The Assembly is essentially a first person adventure/puzzle games with a very strong story line about a secretive organisation that is experimenting on live specimens both human and animal. You play as two different characters, one who is a long in the tooth employee of 'The Assembly' and another who is a test subject that has just come into the building. These story lines are entirely separate with some overlapping segments, with the employee story line essentially revolving around his attempts to escape his seemingly non-consensual captivity within the complex via investigation and standard walking simulator puzzle elements. The test subject story involves completing a series of 'trials' that determine your effectiveness to 'The Assembly' - these take the form of various different puzzle games including a murder mystery.

I found the game to be very confident in it's use of VR and highly immersive. The gameplay takes the form of Batman Arkham VR with the ability to teleport around (in my experience so far, easily the best method of first person gameplay within VR) the environments (although conventional first person controls are available, I found these did give me motion sickness). The trophies are possible within one play though and are a mixture of story related unmissable s, chapter specific trophy's and also collectibles. Sadly, despite being meticulous in my exploration (or so I thought) I missed a dossier or two and so missed the platinum by one trophy  :angry: .

The game took me about 6 hours or so total and I personally found it a blast, a really fun, thought provoking story and one of the most 'complete' experiences you can have in VR. I highly recommend it, and personally didn't feel let down spending the £15 or so it cost.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weeping Doll:

So...Weeping Doll. 

I picked this up on offer (think it was £6 or so), and had read nothing about it. Now, I must preface what will be a mostly negative review by saying I didn't do my research and so the fault in buying this is really my own. Weeping Doll is a first person horror game (horror in the loosest of senses) where you play a housemaid (I think?) in a house searching for a missing girl. The house is totally empty aside from the girl in question and the dolls mentioned in the title.

The house has many puzzles that reveal keys, that open doors etc, you get the idea. Think of the first few Resident Evil games but even dumber and you probably get the drift. You walk around the house interacting with items, picking stuff up and putting it in your inventory, backtracking to open the cupboard you couldn't earlier etc, and make progress eventually to get to the heart of the 'mystery'. Unfortunately, not only is the gameplay pretty meh, but the lack of any scares (at all) in a game that is clearly within the horror genre, is a pretty big issue. There isn't even a feeling of dread in the house, it is almost totally devoid of atmosphere and as far as I can recall does not even have music. The dolls are all over the place, but do not move - at no point in the game is there a jump scare (something I was obviously preparing myself for the entire time) which makes the whole concept feel quite redundant.

So it sounds pretty poor from what I have said above there - but then get this - the game takes an hour (tops) to complete in it's entirety. I wasn't following any form of guide or anything at all, not at any point in this game was I lost or stuck. Despite being open in terms of the environment, it is still a very linear game with only one route to success which makes the prospect of replay value totally redundant. The trophies are pretty much just for finishing the game and picking items up, there does appear to be some that are for doing specific things but I got those without trying and judging by rarity it seems everyone is. Additionally, not only was the game short but the ending was so abrupt! I don't want to spoil the outcome of the actual story line, but I can say that at the end of the game, I literally ended up walking through a door into a room full of pictures of the staff that worked on the game, instead of a traditional credits scene. This was really confusing and not clear what they were going for as I had no idea whether that was it or not.

Weeping Doll is basically pretty crap, there is no other way to put it. I am struggling to think of any redeeming features bar the fact it is an easy 100%, but I felt short changed spending £6 on it. Poor effort  :( .

• Like 2

I feel like I'm extremely torn with this game because of this review.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/09/robinson-the-journey-review

..I want to wait for a price drop, but then I don't....

If you're looking at reviews, then it might be worth noting that IGN's review gave it one of the worst scores:dunno:

Personally I tend not to look at scores any more anyway. Any ass can write down a few numbers, I value the review itself a lot more - actually the few reviewers I often read/watch don't even bother with giving scores.