Kill Your Completion (Event finished)

Shovel Knight. :awesome:

Or grab the Mega Man Legacy Collection. It's currently on sale in EU and costs only 8 Euros.

I was actually alluding to MStalker's piece before me :-)

I love me some classic platforming but I was never into Shovel Knight. I also never really liked the Mega Man series. Only one I liked enough to play through was Mega Man X on the SNES.

I really like Ducktales and I absolutely love Super Star Wars, I also like semi retros like Rayman Legends, Braid or Fez. There's a bunch of new platformers I love which aren't even (fully) retro, like Runner2 or Unravel or Limbo or Thomas Was Alone or Stealth Inc 1.

All in all, if we're taking big sandbox games out of the equation then platformers are probably wat I enjoy most, perhaps tied with puzzle games. I still have a selective taste though.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Game #3:

Zone of the Enders HD Edition (ps3_10.png)

Lc308ad.png

I thought 2nd Runner was much more enjoyable than the original. The first game kind of felt like a demo or something to me. Like they had this general idea or concept of mech combat and then just threw some stuff around that gameplay. The sequel felt like a much more cohesive and complete game with better polish around the edges. I also liked how they switched the cutscenes to anime rather than using that CGI that looks very outdated in the first game. 

Overall those games are right in the middle of the average ratings scale for me. Didn't love them but didn't hate them. I really don't mean that as a negative though. I know in today's market it seems like a game is either the greatest thing ever created or complete garbage and a disaster, but I still find value in decent games that might do a few solid things. Hope you end up enjoying it more and the second game is much better imo.

Holy crap, I was catching up on this thread while watching telly, a random episode of The Goldbergs one on, and Adam (one of the characters) started singing the theme tune to The Gummi Bears.  These coincidences really freak me out.  Get out of my telly box voodoo_eyes  :D

Great updates guys.

No kidding, it freaked me out when voodoo and Billy starting talking about DuckTales of all things and that happened to be the game I was playing. Off topic but do you like The Goldbergs? That's one of my favorite current comedies. 

I love me some classic platforming but I was never into Shovel Knight. I also never really liked the Mega Man series. Only one I liked enough to play through was Mega Man X on the SNES.

I really like Ducktales and I absolutely love Super Star Wars, I also like semi retros like Rayman Legends, Braid or Fez. There's a bunch of new platformers I love which aren't even (fully) retro, like Runner2 or Unravel or Limbo or Thomas Was Alone or Stealth Inc 1.

All in all, if we're taking big sandbox games out of the equation then platformers are probably wat I enjoy most, perhaps tied with puzzle games. I still have a selective taste though.

After reading that highlighted part, we are no longer friends.  :angry:

I'm joking. I loved Rayman Origins and Legends and am hoping they eventually make another game. I need to look into those other games you mentioned. I believe DuckTales is the last platformer in my backlog so I need to stock up on some more.

No kidding, it freaked me out when voodoo and Billy starting talking about DuckTales of all things and that happened to be the game I was playing. Off topic but do you like The Goldbergs? That's one of my favorite current comedies. 

Yeah its alright.  I pretty much dual screen everything, so there is always some telly on, and I tend to prefer comedies.

Holy crap, I was catching up on this thread while watching telly, a random episode of The Goldbergs one on, and Adam (one of the characters) started singing the theme tune to The Gummi Bears.  These coincidences really freak me out.  Get out of my telly box voodoo_eyes  :D

Great updates guys.

You should be grateful, that it wasn't me singing it :P . It would've been way cooler, if you'd actually found an obscure channel that was still broadcasting those cartoons :lol:.

• Like 1

Ah, didn't catch the connection then. :)

Maybe the reason is/was that I didn't like the DuckTales-remake that much. It was ok to revisit all those locations with updated graphics and some additional gameplay elements but the actual gameplay wasn't fun for me. Personally I enjoyed the Castle of Illusion-remake, which came out around the same time, much more.

Back in the days I also liked to play several of the cult 2D-platformers (Lion King, Mario World 2, the Donkey Kong-trilogy :heart: ) but now I'm more enjoying the 3D-platformers. But like with every genre there are some hits and some misses. As of today I'm really anticipating the release of Wayforward's (they programmed the DuckTales-remake) upcoming Shantae-game. As a KS-backer I was able to play the E3 2015-demo and I really like

Edited by Crimson Idol

AFAIK PSNProfiles only gets the 0% trophy lists when you have at least one trophy after the list was added to your PSN-account. But your first trophy in this game shouldn't be too far away. You will earn one at the end of the prologues. ;)

I didn't know that.

Wild Arms 3 (Day 2)

Le3fda3.png

I finished the prologue today and got my first trophy for the game. I can't say any other things since my last update but I get accustomed to the controls. Ihope I have more time to play tomorrow and at least beat one more boss.

• Like 1

41iS5Lpn4GL.jpg

Okay so I cheated and finished this game anyways, sue me I had to know how it ended and PS Now was being really garbage with me trying to get this game finished. Not to mention the bugs itself.

So I was right Zellner was the original Raven the entire time. They made it blatantly obvious that the guy we was after was not the real Raven. Like I said I first suspected Inspector LeGrand before moving my suspicions over to Gerbhart, who interestingly I really really liked up until the events in the Saloon of the boat. He seemed kind of nice, which was contrast to his asshole behavior when you play as the second character. Turned out he was really tortured and quite evil. He had no good reasoning for anything he liked the Jewish girl who I suspected never reciprocated and was outraged that she was pregnant and killed her. Anyways as far as the revelation I have to admit I was upset he was the girls father and they were all in on it. I was hoping that he was a solo agent and that they were going to be completely surprised at the end. Like he basically survives spoils the fake Raven's show and then at the end LeGrand realizes holy crap that stupid Swiss cop was playing me the entire game. Instead those three are sipping champagne on a beach lol.  

Great game though I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite adventures games of all time, by a guy who freaking loves adventure games.

Now I don't have to work or do anything the rest of today or tomorrow so it looks like I'm going to bust my ass getting some hours into God of War.

You should be grateful, that it wasn't me singing it :P . It would've been way cooler, if you'd actually found an obscure channel that was still broadcasting those cartoons :lol:.

I see you've been playing the Star Trek game, I've actually very much wanted to add a Star Trek platinum to my collection because I'm a fan of the series and those movies. How is it?

• Like 3

Lcbabc8.png

Game 3 - Day 2

Hours Played: 3 and a halfish

Trophies earned: 10/51

Not much to say really. Game is all over with the difficulty. It started out somewhat difficult, then got easy and now it's back to rage-inducing. Not because it's difficult per se, but because some fights are just broken as hell, as in your character getting stun locked in an infinite loop of damage..

I've now completed 7 levels, there are 9 I think. I'll probably try to finish the story mode up before going to bed.

Oh and before I forget, the game is utter shite, so yeah... licensed cash grab.

PS: Why is there no emote for "vomiting" ? It would represent perfectly what I want to do after beating a level in this crapfest.

@Maddawgmax: The game is alright, the AI is atrocious though. It is in permanent co-op mode. The 2nd character is controlled by CPU, if there isn't a human player around, It also suffers from a couple of bugs and glitches, especially on stealth sections (mandatory for plat). Finishing the game in co-op is a must as well, which is what I've been doing recently (local co-op with a friend of mine). Unfortunately there isn't much variety in enemies instead there are a shitload of cutscenes, often 4 or 5 in a row.

I bought it for €4,00 and it's not worth much more imo. So if you can get it cheap, maybe check it out.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 3

Turns out we didn't need to space suit to walk and breathe on the moon because Gyro invented Oxy-chew, an oxygen flavored moon gum. Makes sense to me.

Funniest one I ever saw was in Sam&Max (not the average to good games, the amazing comic). They can breathe on the moon just fine and Max guesses that the astronauts just didn't have the stones to try it.

• Like 1

This is me over the last day and a half.  Needless to say, I haven't played anything and I'm not sure I'm going to.  Carry on without me.

Wait you're not going to play anything for the rest of the month or your current game sucks and you don't want to play it?

Apologies for my absence...we went out of town over Independence Day as fireworks were proving problematic.  Since we've been back I've been unwell, barely even moved out of bed let alone picked up a controller :(  Still feeling incredibly under the weather and slept on and off all day.

I have been popping on though to read all of your progress...need to go back over and give some likes out <3

Just take your time. Getting well again is the top priority at the moment. :)

Edited by Crimson Idol

Game #3

L2d5c7c.png

Day 3

Where do I even begin when talking about the mess that Beyond: Two Souls is? The credits sure did put an emphasis on the presentation of the game rather than the story as the only writing credit I saw was for David Cage. One of the key problems is the format of the story as several chapters of the story are mixed around and it keeps jumping from childhood, to post-CIA, to being a teenager, to being in the CIA, etc. The game has nearly two dozen chapters that do this time skip and of course it gets difficult to keep track of when things happen. Even towards the end there was a chapter than laid the motivation for a character's whole actions and the future heel turn. If this played out earlier as intended we would have questioned the character's actions throughout the story and I wouldn't have freaked out when a ghost makes an appearance in human form. Speaking of that the rules of the world set aren't quite clear as Willem Dafoe's family shows up in a bloody mess, then normal, while a character that kills himself immediately shows up in ghost form in a different outfit. There's also the rules of who Aiden is and isn't able to interact with as I would have possessed everyone if given the chance, why he couldn't heal Jodie's leg after she got shot or even how he's able to heal at all. Basically Aiden is a deus ex machina that is used every freaking time Jodie can't do things for herself and then he's forgotten to give conflict for Jodie.

Jodie herself is a pathetic character as she freaked out for having a kid's dad be killed but she frequently kills soldiers from Somalia or Not-North-Koreastan without thinking of the consequences after. One of those cadavers may have been a dad, but nope, everyone else is OK to kill. Ugh, it reminds me of the stupid freak-out Lara Croft had in the reboot with her first kill and never afterwards. Whenever Jodie is in trouble, and when isn't she, she calls Aiden for help for nearly everything from disabling security to lowering a hay bale. The relationship between them isn't well-done as Jodie frequently yells at him to leave her alone but is more than willing to ask him for his help. By the way, that's my second prediction that I got correct in this event and it was the boring, obvious option that Cage wrote. Jodie's pretty stupid as well as she was part of the CIA and didn't know who the president of the country she was assigned to, didn't speak any foreign language, she doesn't clean up after stealing stuff, and she doesn't really know what she wants from her relationship with Aiden. In the Navajo chapter that had a ghost but is never brought up again, Jodie states that her powers were actually useful for others for the first time, ignoring the homeless people that she helped out earlier. Jeez, the homeless chapter was not only played before but it's also chronilogically before it. 

There lies my main problem with the story as there doesn't seem to by any consequences for actions done. Since the story needs to proceed Jodie will get severely injured but won't die even if it did look like she should have. For several action scenes I left the remote alone and saw what the game would do. In one chapter a person saved Jodie from burning and then that character never appeared again. For a fight scene I let Jodie get beaten up with a chain, a hook, stabbed in a hand with a screwdriver, and she won by having a monster killed the other person. I left Jodie alone close a bomb that would detonate in three minutes and the game just propelled her forward. Jodie was about to drown in a scene similar to Uncharted 3, but unlike Uncharted 3 where you would die if you were slow, I didn't budge Jodie and somehow she was rescued by Edward. Edward tried CPR and she didn't respond, leading to a cut to the next chapter. What's the point of having action scenes if there's no tension and a fear of failure. In The Walking Dead if you failed a QTE during an action scene you'd bet there would be a gruesome death scene and the scene would restart. One of the fine points of Heavy Rain was that a character dying is that they would stay dead and make it harder to get a lifeline for the final solution. There are several times in which you can chose to save characters and their status does affect the amount of choices of what ending you get, like being with Edward, Jacob, or some baby. However, the epilogue makes previous choices moot as it didn't even seem to connect to the Edward ending; heck, Jodie said that the other world wasn't part of their lives anymore and that epilogue clearly contradicts that. I don't know why the epilogue was added but if David Cage wants to try to make an action-based sequel, no. Just... no.

I could write more in detail as to why the details in the story sucks like how the government's attempt to control the Shadow Realm makes them look like the stupidest idiots or how a character wants to merge both this world and the Shadow Realm, similar to the plot of Guacamelee! At least in Guacamelee! everyone knew that was a bad idea and the bad guy wanted to rule both worlds, in BTS the character just wants to see his loved ones even though he does so later with an easier and less world-destroying manner. Even my family made fun of the scene where Jodie and Selim survived a crash explosion without any explanation. I'm sure there are others who have dissected the plot and probably better than I would. I'll complete this game for the Platinum Rain Day event as I want to kill most of the characters in this game and I mainly feel that way for bad horror films. Beyond: Two Souls will place in my bottom five of all time but I still have to see how bad the sex assault scene is and whether being evil gives me some pleasure in tormenting most of these terrible characters.

• Like 4

Apologies for my absence...we went out of town over Independence Day as fireworks were proving problematic.  Since we've been back I've been unwell, barely even moved out of bed let alone picked up a controller :(  Still feeling incredibly under the weather and slept on and off all day.

I have been popping on though to read all of your progress...need to go back over and give some likes out <3

Not part of this event, but I hope you feel better!

Game #3:
Zone of the Enders HD Edition (ps3_10.png)

Lc308ad.png

Didn't play this game on Friday (I prefered to continue Odin Sphere where I now finished the stories of Mercedes and Oswald) but instead I decided to play Saturday night to at least reach the "minimum" amount of played hours.

I had to redo the battle against Tempest but after reading how to reduce the damage to the surroundings it went a little bit better. Afterwards I was confronted with those nasty rescue missions. The one in Town 2 really gave me struggles as the Frames killed at least 2 civilians. After replaying that mission for the fourth time I decided to stick with the B-rating. I continued the story and played up to the part with two EPS-antennas that have to be taken down. While doing this I had to do another rescue mission. Again only a B-rating: All survived but damage was too high. :(

Final thoughts:
Now that I got the hang of the battle system it's a little easier but overall it still doesn't feel that great. My biggest problem is the camera. The camera is rotating rather slow when using the right analog stick which is annoying when you want to inspect the surroundings. In the normal battles it's okay as long as you use the Lock-On function. Biggest annoyance is definitely ADA, the AI of the frame you control: We picked up the Metatron (an energy orb to replenish the health), surroundings have taken damage, enemies surround us, enemies are engaging us, Enemies... :blah:
I guess Hideo Kojima really enjoyed the Microsoft Office assistant Clippy (anyone remember him?) and he wanted to include an assistant that's as annoying as that abomination. ADA really drained my nerves while doing all those missions and I wish there would be the option to lower the voice volume, but there isn't one. :(
I'm sure I will finish the game in the future but it will be somewhere on the bottom list of the games to be completed, right beside the American McGee's Alice-DLC, Transistor or Hotline Miami 2.

Stats:
Total playing time: ~3 hours
Trophies earned:6 / 25
Completion rate:16%
Did the game lower my completion? Yes

Now I will wonder how La-Mulana EX will turn out. I hope it will be a more satisfying experience than Zone of the Enders. :hmm:

I thought 2nd Runner was much more enjoyable than the original. The first game kind of felt like a demo or something to me. Like they had this general idea or concept of mech combat and then just threw some stuff around that gameplay. The sequel felt like a much more cohesive and complete game with better polish around the edges. I also liked how they switched the cutscenes to anime rather than using that CGI that looks very outdated in the first game. 

Overall those games are right in the middle of the average ratings scale for me. Didn't love them but didn't hate them. I really don't mean that as a negative though. I know in today's market it seems like a game is either the greatest thing ever created or complete garbage and a disaster, but I still find value in decent games that might do a few solid things. Hope you end up enjoying it more and the second game is much better imo.

It became a little bit better but it still was no game that I really enjoyed. I can understand your point of view, though. It feels unpolished in some departments and for me it feels like a game where they had a great idea for a story/premise but didn't know how to do the actual gameplay. And I guess I will play the second game, too. Mainly due to the fact that I can't sell the collection (bought it as a download).

• Like 4

It's all good, no need to apologize. Just take a breather, until you feel up for it.