Is this game worth buying?

You'll miss out on some of the lore, and the lack of Witcher 1 & 2 on Sony consoles prevents any kind of save-importing. It's very similar to playing Mass Effect 3 without having played the first two games. You'll still have a helluva good time, but you'll miss out on some stuff, like references, past characters, story, etc.

Objectively seen, it's a fantastic game with equally great DLC, so I'd definitely recommend picking this up. And if you do want to enrich your Witcher knowledge first, just watch lore videos on YouTube.

• Like 2

Yes you can easily play without any prior knowledge. However its not such a bad thing if you want to watch those "5 min Summary of Witcher 1/2" videos to get the gist of the backstory.

If you love RPGs this game is to good to pass up. Ton and tons of hours, solid story and gameplay. Has most things you want from in a RPG.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely. It was my first Witcher game and I caught on to what was going on. There's also something of a codex in it you can use too. The only thing that directly references the previous games is when you're asked about what happened in them and you can answer which ones. It will be confusing but your answers don't affect much at all.

• Like 1

Yes!! Just buy it. I had no clue about any Witcher lore before I got 3, they have an intro which explains some of the lore. Also, you learn a fair bit of past lore within the game, even though it's not strictly needed.

Personally, after I had done with 3 I went back and got the novels. My favourite game of all time and the only game which has got me to buy all the art books, novels, t-shirts, statues, previous games xD I'm literally addicted to it lol.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As I only own Playstation consoles, I've never had the opportunity to play Witcher 1&2, but let this be said: Witcher 3 is one of the absolute best games on ps4. Period. The lore, the combat, the story, the side quests, the magnitude, the characters, the leveling and development... everything about it is just straight awesome! Get the complete edition and you'll have a plitnum plus dlc worth about 200 hours of gameplay.

PS if you're planning on 100% this game, follow a guide or you will end up missing a lot of trophies on the way, forcing a new game plus scenario! Unless you're into that sort of thing ;)

Edited by cam_wick