Thoughts on the game?

Oobedoob S Benubi

I just stumbled across this on PSN. Seems like a fun game and it's getting some good reviews, what's the consensus over here?

Looks like an interesting puzzle game, but it seems like it could be a bit on the either short and/or easy side. And how well is the story done? Because the trailer shows a gimmick puzzle platformer but the voice-over makes the story seem deep and psychological... I thought the story in a puzzle game like The Swapper was very well done while being deep but such a thing can get annoying if it's not created the right way.

• 2 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Possibly a little on the short/easy side, although I haven't gone searching for collectibles yet, and some of the later puzzles provided a nice yet accomplishable challenge. I haven't played The Swapper so no comparison from me. Possibly the voiceover is trying to be more philosophical than the game manages, but at no point did I find it annoying. Can't remember what I payed for it, but £7-10 is probably about right. It was fun, which is what games are meant to be, right?

EDIT: Having now got all the collectables, I can say that they don't really add anything to the game. Mostly they're in areas that were simply inaccessible without the full spectrum, therefore they do not require a new way of doing the level. Therefore, you are just repeating puzzles you've already done, which is not satisfying, just annoying.

Still a good game though.

Edited by Captain_Anura
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just finished my first run through. An ok puzzler - finished all the levels without too much drama except one where I had to look up how to do it. The first half of the game seems to be paced slightly too fast and the second half slightly too slow. That said, a solid freebie from PS+

The collectibles are a drag though. We should either be able to teleport to a single puzzle (or have more checkpoints in each area) or puzzles should stay complete when you finish a room.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a cool concept with a passable story.  My biggest complaint, though, is that sometimes the color wheel does not stay on the color you select.  I don't know how many times I died because of this.  It's almost as if the developers knew there was not enough "meat" to the game and decided to work this in to give it more length.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 11.12.2017 at 6:43 AM, Bilpe said:

My biggest complaint, though, is that sometimes the color wheel does not stay on the color you select.  I don't know how many times I died because of this.  It's almost as if the developers knew there was not enough "meat" to the game and decided to work this in to give it more length.

This. It gets better after you get used to it, but when you have to quickly change colors, it's quite nasty. Happened to me a few times, maybe because I put the right stick back to neutral before letting go of R3 (even though it felt to me like it was the other way round ?). Also, I had a hard time distinguishing fuchsia/pink and purple at some points in the later levels (maybe the devs should have made the purple color a bit darker).

• 1 year later...

It's a combination of Limbo, RIME, Dokuro, Flower and some of those nice, easy relaxation type games.

RIME is probably a good comparison since both Hue and RIME put a huge emphasis on exploring, with nice soothing music to accompany the journey. If you despise exploring and walking simulator type games it's better for you to skip Hue even though it's technically a 2-D platformer. Both games have their collectibles.

Not the best, but certainly an easy 100 percent and not a bad game at all.

• 6 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 5:43 AM, Bilpe said:

It's a cool concept with a passable story.  My biggest complaint, though, is that sometimes the color wheel does not stay on the color you select.  I don't know how many times I died because of this.  It's almost as if the developers knew there was not enough "meat" to the game and decided to work this in to give it more length.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:58 PM, Sillshez15 said:

This. It gets better after you get used to it, but when you have to quickly change colors, it's quite nasty. Happened to me a few times, maybe because I put the right stick back to neutral before letting go of R3 (even though it felt to me like it was the other way round 1f914.png). Also, I had a hard time distinguishing fuchsia/pink and purple at some points in the later levels (maybe the devs should have made the purple color a bit darker).

The game is a very good idea but the controls are lousy. On the Vita they're even worse. The color you choose doesn't work several times and you have to do the same level again. Quick lousy ports intended as a cash grab that ultimately were a common part of the Vita sad story.

The PS4 version does work better in controls, but in 2 different TVs fuchsia and pink are extremely similar. Don't these guys even bothered to test this on TVs? It wasn't the Vita the only lousy port after all.

If you try to cloud save from the VIta and just get messages saying that you were disconnected from PSN , keep trying. Eventually it will work. Mine eventually worked around the 20th try... ?

Edited by cris3f

• 4 months later...

I'm more than half way through the game, and I'm definitely enjoying it.  Solid little puzzle game.  Puzzles are pretty easy to figure out and very straightforward.  My only complaint would be what others have said in this thread about the color wheel sometimes not staying on the color you've chosen.  I thought I was just playing badly, but I'm glad to see others having the same issue.  I have already died numerous times during sections where you have to change colors fast and just not staying on the color you've chosen.  Frustrating, but other than that I'm enjoying!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 0:22 PM, shawn-norris said:

I'm more than half way through the game, and I'm definitely enjoying it.  Solid little puzzle game.  Puzzles are pretty easy to figure out and very straightforward.  My only complaint would be what others have said in this thread about the color wheel sometimes not staying on the color you've chosen.  I thought I was just playing badly, but I'm glad to see others having the same issue.  I have already died numerous times during sections where you have to change colors fast and just not staying on the color you've chosen.  Frustrating, but other than that I'm enjoying!

I've had the same issue, but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I'm on the final area of the game and I've enjoyed it a lot. I've had the game since it was free on PS Plus, so I'm not sure why I waited this long to play it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...