PSVR or Oculus Rift - What should I get?

KiLLER--HZ--7

sup guys

i am looking forward to buy one of the mentioned VR headsets.

i already tested the oculus rift, which was just really stunning.

nevertheless, i am not a pc gamer, i rather play my games on playstation. but i am really confused if the ps version will have the same quality, the same experience?

in your honest opinion, maybe someone who already tested both headsets, what would you recommend to buy? what is better? or is the psvr on the same level as the rift?

as mentioned, i am a playstation fanboy, but i am also interested in a good vr experience (and therefore wouldnt even hesitate to get a high end pc if VR should dominate on that platform). 

any help is appreciated

thanks!

I have only played on one (PSVR) but i have seen and video recorded people playing on Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (on my you tube channel).

Choice for you will come down to maybe 2 big factors.

1. What systems you own/prefer to play on.

2. Price you are ok with spending as there is a huge difference in cost between the 3 units mentioned.

I was left speechless after I played on PSVR, it was the most immersive surreal experience I can even imagine.

I cannot wait until I can play regular PS4 games like TLOU in full cinema mode, this has only been lightly spoken of but I believe will be a massive feature.

The choice will be yours alone, but choose wisely, these things are not cheap.

PSVR will not be as high quality as Oculus Rift or HTC Vive (depending on your PC) because the PS4 simply isn't powerful enough to offer resolutions higher than 1080P with VR, but it will arguably have better games that may be better suited to you. Personally, I'll be picking up the PSVR because I prefer console gaming and I think VR is a legitimate step up in gaming and not a gimmick like motion controls so I will support the first generation hardware so hopefully Sony will be able to improve it and offer a higher quality experience with the next generation. 

Parker

It's all a question of money, PSVR is the cheapest, Oculus is twice the price (then a PC on top) and Vive .... well just leave your credit card on the table. As with everything what you pay is what you get. I am going with PSVR in large part because I see it as a bit of a fun novelty experience. If down the track it really takes off them perhaps I will consider laying out the $ for a high quality experience.

thanks!

obviously go for the PS VR since its the better option

PS VR is the cheapest, while both the oculus rift and the htc vive are far more expensive, and on top of that you'll need a powerful (and expensive) pc to make them run properly there.

the quality of games will be much better on the PS VR simply 'cause sony is financing most of them, which means you'll get to play exclusive AA and AAA VR games on it like resident evil 7 (which will only have VR support on ps4), batman arkham vr (is only being released on the ps4), until dawn rush of blood (again, ps4 exclusive), etc...

meanwhile with the oculus and htc you'll mostly get to play only poor-quality indies and not much else.

so yeah:

cheaper price + better games = PS VR

a more expensive price + you'll need a powerful and expensive pc + 90% will be unfinished indies = oculus rift and htc vive.

Try out the PSVR before making the decision. It's ridiculously expensive either way, so you should test them both beforehand.

actually the PS VR is the cheapest, both the oculus rift and htc vive are far more expensive than it and on top of that you'll need a powerful and expensive pc to make them run properly.

Edited by smellslikejavier

i am not a pc gamer, i rather play my games on playstation > You've answered your own question here.

Like others have said, since you aren't a PC gamer, you probably also don't have the PC for it.  All PS4 models can run it fine (with the Pro being able to run it better), so much cheaper in the end for you.  And I also agree with what Kuuhaku says, try it out first before purchasing, right now I think they are sold out in a good majority of areas so if you haven't preordered it, best thing you can hope for is that your local game store is doing demos for people interested in purchasing it whenever they do get more stock in.  You could find out there's really no hype to it etc.

the quality of games will be much better on the PS VR simply 'cause sony is financing most of them, which means you'll get to play exclusive AA and AAA VR games on it like resident evil 7 (which will only have VR support on ps4), batman arkham vr (is only being released on the ps4), until dawn rush of blood (again, ps4 exclusive), etc...

meanwhile with the oculus and htc you'll mostly get to play only poor-quality indies and not much else.

Ok, no. You really need to understand this. 3rd party AAA companies are not making exclusive VR games. RE7 will have a little tiny PSVR mini-game in it. FF15 has a little mini-game that uses the PSVR. CoD: Infinite Warfare has a little mini-game for PSVR. This has all been announced, they've all come out and said the VR support are little mini-games that have no bearing on the games at all. VR support will always be indies, with Sony throwing money everywhere trying to get their PSVR to work.

Ok, no. You really need to understand this. 3rd party AAA companies are not making exclusive VR games. RE7 will have a little tiny PSVR mini-game in it. FF15 has a little mini-game that uses the PSVR. CoD: Infinite Warfare has a little mini-game for PSVR. This has all been announced, they've all come out and said the VR support are little mini-games that have no bearing on the games at all. VR support will always be indies, with Sony throwing money everywhere trying to get their PSVR to work.

No.

RE7 is fully playable in PSVR.

Capcom link:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/timturi/blog/2016/06/24/resident-evil-7-developers-discuss-the-new-evolution-of-horror

Edit: For those who don't like clicky clicky here is a copy/paste of the most relevant part...

RE7 is fully playable in PlayStation VR Mode. Tell us about the impact this has on the game.

Kawata-san: I think VR is a really good match for horror. When we first got it implemented we were all so excited to try it out, put on the headset, and get into the horror experience. You have to try it out for yourself to figure out how immersive it is and how you feel like you’re right there in the room.

Is the game content the same between PSVR and a regular playthrough?

Nakanishi-san: Yes, the content is the same, but of course for VR we need to optimize the experience to make it comfortable and as immersive as possible. But the game itself is the same, whether you play in PSVR Mode or play it regularly.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I remember hearing rumors that Oculus Rift will support the Xbox Scorpio on launch, if true, that could make the Oculus Rift be a serious competitor to the PSVR.

Pricing and the current games selection goes to the PSVR, power and longevity clearly goes to Oculus Rift. For you, I would go for the PSVR for now seeing as you are a self proclaim PS fan-boy (We all got our preferences).

Edited by FlareXV

• 2 weeks later...

No.

RE7 is fully playable in PSVR.

Capcom link:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/timturi/blog/2016/06/24/resident-evil-7-developers-discuss-the-new-evolution-of-horror

Edit: For those who don't like clicky clicky here is a copy/paste of the most relevant part...

RE7 is fully playable in PlayStation VR Mode. Tell us about the impact this has on the game.

Kawata-san: I think VR is a really good match for horror. When we first got it implemented we were all so excited to try it out, put on the headset, and get into the horror experience. You have to try it out for yourself to figure out how immersive it is and how you feel like you’re right there in the room.

Is the game content the same between PSVR and a regular playthrough?

Nakanishi-san: Yes, the content is the same, but of course for VR we need to optimize the experience to make it comfortable and as immersive as possible. But the game itself is the same, whether you play in PSVR Mode or play it regularly.

Further no:

While EA and Rocksteady are starting with some small stuff, Ubisoft aims to have two big VR exclusive PS4 games out by the end of the year, and Crytek is working on a big PSVR exclusive game as well.

Additional no:

Stop implying that indie games are less of an experience than AAA games, it's embarrassing.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...