NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

Just now, Eyjabria said:

I've used the same NNID on two 3DSs (made a system transfer to another one)

That's the point. When I'm selling my N3DS because of a financial problems, I'm probably not having a second one at home. :P 

So, I can't transfer it and I can't login in that account with any other 3DS, even though I resetted the system.

It even tells you that a factory reset isn't detaching an ID.

1 minute ago, Neputyunu said:

That's the point. When I'm selling my N3DS because of a financial problems, I'm probably not having a second one at home. :P 

So, I can't transfer it and I can't login in that account with any other 3DS, even though I resetted the system.

It even tells you that a factory reset isn't detaching an ID.

Ah, I had no idea it worked that way that you always need a new console to move the ID to. I thought system transfer was mostly for moving your save data and such. That's a good reason to stay on physical purchases mostly then. I guess they're afraid of people abusing the system somehow.

3 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

I hope they are doing somewhen a remake of 4th gen (Diamond / Pearl / Platinum) too. Sinnoh was a nice region. Pokemon there were nice too.

Personally, I hope that if there's any remake at all, they'll do a 1080p version of Red/Green/Blue. Can't beat the classic.

Also, I hope that we can see a new Pokémon Snap someday. It being on the Virtual Console means they can't have forgotten about it completely.

Also, I love it that I posted the statistics news and the "WE WANT STATS" people are quiet for now while you two are going "mèh, Pokémon and how digital Nintendo purchases work is more important".

Personally I'm not invested in WiiU/3DS to Switch transfer but I would like it for everybody who does want to bring their stuff to the Switch. I just hope the Virtual Console starts with everything from WiiU/3DS and only expands from there. I'd like to play Eternal Darkness and Skyward Sword, for instance.

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

Personally, I hope that if there's any remake at all, they'll do a 1080p version of Red/Green/Blue. Can't beat the classic.

Why? Kanto was good at first, because it was the original game and because of that "wow!", because it was something new.

But it was boring in G/S/C and it was boring in FR/LG.

Kanto will always be boring.

They need to remake the whole map, so that it is compareable to nowadays Pokemon. I mean, the design of Kanto is just boring. FR/LG was, even though it was using the engine of R/S/E, inferior af...

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Also, I love it that I posted the statistics news and the "WE WANT STATS" people are quiet for now while you two are going "mèh, Pokémon and how digital Nintendo purchases work is more important".

Personally I'm not invested in WiiU/3DS to Switch transfer but I would like it for everybody who does want to bring their stuff to the Switch. I just hope the Virtual Console starts with everything from WiiU/3DS and only expands from there. I'd like to play Eternal Darkness and Skyward Sword, for instance.

Well, wasn't Nintendo going to completely restart their online services?

I mean, maybe it's usable and "up2date" with Switch. Maybe stuff is going to be account-bound. They also dropped regionlock, so, it's possible...

...Can't find it though, because Google results are meanwhile just about that what we know since one or two weeks...

10 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

Why? Kanto was good at first, because it was the original game and because of that "wow!", because it was something new.

But it was boring in G/S/C and it was boring in FR/LG.

Kanto will always be boring.

They need to remake the whole map, so that it is compareable to nowadays Pokemon. I mean, the design of Kanto is just boring. FR/LG was, even though it was using the engine of R/S/E, inferior af...

Yeah but I was not talking about a regular remake, I wanted a from the ground up remake :) basically, I want Breath Of The Wild with the first generation of Pokémon :D

Well, wasn't Nintendo going to completely restart their online services?

I mean, maybe it's usable and "up2date" with Switch. Maybe stuff is going to be account-bound. They also dropped regionlock, so, it's possible...

...Can't find it though, because Google results are meanwhile just about that what we know since one or two weeks...

They haven't said anything definitive yet but odds are high that purchases will be account bound from now on (it is heavily implied, anyway). See below for the answer they gave Kotaku.

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

Personally I'd say the purchases themselves are probably account-linked as well then, and the only question would be if it is possible to bring over purchases made on the WiiU and 3DS.

Edited by BillyHorrible

How the accounts are handled would be really interesting to know, even though I'm not that interested in the Switch atm. Personally I assume they will continue to use a combination of NNID and the MyNintendo-account. I guess the main aco♥ will be the MyNintendo-one where all purchases and downloads will be tied to and the NNID will be your main online handle.

The current status on the 3DS and the Wii U is rather confusing and I guess no one besides Nintendo themselves could say how everything is tied together.

Personal story:

I put my Wii U on eBay and as a preparation I wanted to detach the NNIDs from it. I once read (back in 2014, when I bought the Wii U) that you can't detach the NNIDs from the Wii U without deleting the whole account or contacting the Nintendo Support. Still I checked the user settings and found the option to detach the NNID from the Wii U and in contrast to the myths it's possible to do so without deleting the actual NNID. Which can also be done but you have to activate a checkbox. And although I deleted the NNIDs the downloads I bought from the eShop (some free games I got during those Club Nintendo-promos) were still playable on the the Wii U.

Now I wonder if those downloads would work on a second Wii U or not. But as I won't buy one I guess I will never find out. :hmm:

But at least the transfer between systems itself is handled well by Nintendo. Just switched from my 3DS XL to a New 3DS XL and everything got migrated without any big hurdles. Now I just have to hope that I will use it more than my old 3DS. But I'm optimistic as I enjoyed the Yoshi's WW-demo on the 3DS much more than the game on Wii U I'm sure I will spend some happy gaming time in the next few days. :D

Edited by Crimson Idol

57 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

How the accounts are handled would be really interesting to know, even though I'm not that interested in the Switch atm. Personally I assume they will continue to use a combination of NNID and the MyNintendo-account. I guess the main aco♥ will be the MyNintendo-one where all purchases and downloads will be tied to and the NNID will be your main online handle.

The current status on the 3DS and the Wii U is rather confusing and I guess no one besides Nintendo themselves could say how everything is tied together.

Personal story:

I put my Wii U on eBay and as a preparation I wanted to detach the NNIDs from it. I once read (back in 2014, when I bought the Wii U) that you can't detach the NNIDs from the Wii U without deleting the whole account or contacting the Nintendo Support. Still I checked the user settings and found the option to detach the NNID from the Wii U and in contrast to the myths it's possible to do so without deleting the actual NNID. Which can also be done but you have to activate a checkbox. And although I deleted the NNIDs the downloads I bought from the eShop (some free games I got during those Club Nintendo-promos) were still playable on the the Wii U.

Now I wonder if those downloads would work on a second Wii U or not. But as I won't buy one I guess I will never find out. :hmm:

But at least the transfer between systems itself is handled well by Nintendo. Just switched from my 3DS XL to a New 3DS XL and everything got migrated without any big hurdles. Now I just have to hope that I will use it more than my old 3DS. But I'm optimistic as I enjoyed the Yoshi's WW-demo on the 3DS much more than the game on Wii U I'm sure I will spend some happy gaming time in the next few days. :D

I sold my Wii two weeks ago and I was unable to delete my shopping account, it didn't accept the code on the bottom of the Wii. Went to the store, turns out that the Wii has been shut off from the internet (with the exception of stuff like Netflix) for a while now.

I hope for those that actually still have a WiiU/3DS account to take games from (I wiped my 3DS years ago when I sold it) that they can get their Virtual Console stuff again for free. Personally, I am getting a Switch anyway and my biggest question is "will the Virtual Console be filled from the start?" because after Zelda and Snipperclips and Fast RMX, I plan on not buying anything for a while unless it's N64 Virtual Console stuff.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I sold my Wii two weeks ago and I was unable to delete my shopping account, it didn't accept the code on the bottom of the Wii. Went to the store, turns out that the Wii has been shut off from the internet (with the exception of stuff like Netflix) for a while now.

I hope for those that actually still have a WiiU/3DS account to take games from (I wiped my 3DS years ago when I sold it) that they can get their Virtual Console stuff again for free. Personally, I am getting a Switch anyway and my biggest question is "will the Virtual Console be filled from the start?" because after Zelda and Snipperclips and Fast RMX, I plan on not buying anything for a while unless it's N64 Virtual Console stuff.

You sold your Wii and 3DS, and you never bought a Wii U? Are you sure you're really a Nintendo fan? :P

I have bought 5+ 3DS systems over the years (mostly upgrading to better models, but occasionally replacing a screen with marks in it, which has happened to me repeatedly and seems to be a design flaw with the XL and New XL), and I can't imagine ever getting rid of my Nintendo consoles. Maybe not everyone has a huge backlog though... you know, for those Nintendo systems with no good games. :hmm:

Back on topic, I also hope that Nintendo carries over Virtual Console purchases (or at least offers Switch versions for $1-$2 each like the Wii U did for Wii purchases). It would also be nice if the Switch has lots of games in the Virtual Console (and also non-emulated digital games) that haven't been announced yet. Of course, since I didn't get in a pre-order before it sold out, by the time I finally get a Switch it will probably have a lot more games. :)

31 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You sold your Wii and 3DS, and you never bought a Wii U? Are you sure you're really a Nintendo fan? :P

I have bought 5+ 3DS systems over the years (mostly upgrading to better models, but occasionally replacing a screen with marks in it, which has happened to me repeatedly and seems to be a design flaw with the XL and New XL), and I can't imagine ever getting rid of my Nintendo consoles. Maybe not everyone has a huge backlog though... you know, for those Nintendo systems with no good games. :hmm:

Back on topic, I also hope that Nintendo carries over Virtual Console purchases (or at least offers Switch versions for $1-$2 each like the Wii U did for Wii purchases). It would also be nice if the Switch has lots of games in the Virtual Console (and also non-emulated digital games) that haven't been announced yet. Of course, since I didn't get in a pre-order before it sold out, by the time I finally get a Switch it will probably have a lot more games. :)

I'm a SNES and N64 fan... :)

I used to sell my console every time I wanted a new one, now with PS4 and Switch will be the first time I have two "current" consoles. Sold my original Wii back when I got an X360, I just wasn't using it any more. I mainly got this new Wii to play some stuff with the missus, it ended up only being used for Netflix in the living room, and we have a smart-tv now...

For me it's less a question of backlog and more of "am I still using it?" - bought a 3DS years ago, only really played Spirit Tracks on it... So I sold it. Decided a few years ago that I wanted one again... I got 3D Land and played through the main game, got Ocarina and never finished it, got SteamWorld Dig and never finished it, got Pokémon Y and never finished it, got Ace Attorney and never finished it... So I traded it in for a Vita, which I still haven't bought any games for but I get PS+ games and I use it occasionally when I want to play PS4 without using the television. I reckon my Vita activity will plummet once I have a Switch.

I still have a SNES and use it frequently, and if my N64 hadn't broken down then I would still have used that one as well. I'm going to restock my N64 library on the Switch though. I now own a SNES, a PS4, a PS3 and a Vita. I kind of feel that next to the Switch, I don't need any more consoles. I'm barely touching my PS3 backlog as it is.

And yeah I hope the Switch gets much more titles on the Virtual Console. Body Harvest and Rogue Squadron for the N64, for instance, or Eternal Darkness for the Game Cube, and I would not complain with Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 1/2 and 3D World either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Could really do with a remake or sequel, 

Definitely, unfortunately Electronic Arts has all rights to making Star Wars games :(

The X-Wing missions in LEGO The Force Awakens were awesome! They could just make a full game about that and I would already be satisfied.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Definitely, unfortunately Electronic Arts has all rights to making Star Wars games :(

The X-Wing missions in LEGO The Force Awakens were awesome! They could just make a full game about that and I would already be satisfied.

True. I have heard that the PSVR Battlefront Xwing mission feels like Rogue (personally no idea though), so there is always a little hope just maybe a spiritual successor for PSVR and not Switch.

16 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

True. I have heard that the PSVR Battlefront Xwing mission feels like Rogue (personally no idea though), so there is always a little hope just maybe a spiritual successor for PSVR and not Switch.

Unfortunately I don't have PSVR any more, my unit was defective and the replacement was defective as well so I just got my money back. I was looking forward to X-Wing VR though... And I do indeed hope that it will become a full PSVR game some day, a trophy-less ten minute DLC to -ugh- the multiplayer game Battlefront is not doing it any justice.

I have more hopes of it returning to PSVR than to the Switch, frankly, especially because Factor 5 went belly-up.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm a SNES and N64 fan... :)

I used to sell my console every time I wanted a new one, now with PS4 and Switch will be the first time I have two "current" consoles. Sold my original Wii back when I got an X360, I just wasn't using it any more. I mainly got this new Wii to play some stuff with the missus, it ended up only being used for Netflix in the living room, and we have a smart-tv now...

For me it's less a question of backlog and more of "am I still using it?" - bought a 3DS years ago, only really played Spirit Tracks on it... So I sold it. Decided a few years ago that I wanted one again... I got 3D Land and played through the main game, got Ocarina and never finished it, got SteamWorld Dig and never finished it, got Pokémon Y and never finished it, got Ace Attorney and never finished it... So I traded it in for a Vita, which I still haven't bought any games for but I get PS+ games and I use it occasionally when I want to play PS4 without using the television. I reckon my Vita activity will plummet once I have a Switch.

I still have a SNES and use it frequently, and if my N64 hadn't broken down then I would still have used that one as well. I'm going to restock my N64 library on the Switch though. I now own a SNES, a PS4, a PS3 and a Vita. I kind of feel that next to the Switch, I don't need any more consoles. I'm barely touching my PS3 backlog as it is.

And yeah I hope the Switch gets much more titles on the Virtual Console. Body Harvest and Rogue Squadron for the N64, for instance, or Eternal Darkness for the Game Cube, and I would not complain with Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 1/2 and 3D World either.

Okay then, you're a Nintendo fan who isn't a packrat like me. :) There are so many great 3DS games, and even some real gems on the eStore. For example, Box Boy and its sequels are just perfect puzzle platforming games. 

I still have all my consoles, I just can't imagine selling them when I know I will use them again someday. Of course, as noted in another thread, your backlog is manageable, while mine is certainly not. There may be a correlation here... maybe getting rid of systems and unplayed games is the way to go :P

I suppose I'm in the minority in any case, since Gamestop always does these "trade in your old console when the new one comes out" promotions. The only time I've traded in systems is when I traded in an older 3DS for a newer one, which I've done a couple of times. That's the same system though, so I wasn't losing an ability to play any of my games. 

Oh, and even if you're not a Japanese game fan, the Vita has some value above and beyond the Switch. The Switch isn't going to fit in anybody's pocket, and I can't tell you how many times I've been glad that I had my 3DS or Vita in my pocket when I've been out and about. And no, I don't play smartphone games. :)

On the subject of Star Wars games, with Disney seeing what a cash cow that franchise is (I'm thinking their purchase will go down in history as one of the most lucrative license acquisitions of all time), hopefully they will start to create some decent games. Battlefront wasn't a great start but I'm hopeful about Amy Hennig (formerly of Uncharted fame) being involved with what appears to be a much more story-based game. I'd love to see another space shooter game but that genre has few releases these days. It doesn't help that the recent releases and in-development games either go mostly unnoticed (Star Fox Zero) or are surrounded by controversy (No Man's Sky, Star Citizen). 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Okay then, you're a Nintendo fan who isn't a packrat like me. :) There are so many great 3DS games, and even some real gems on the eStore. For example, Box Boy and its sequels are just perfect puzzle platforming games. 

I still have all my consoles, I just can't imagine selling them when I know I will use them again someday. Of course, as noted in another thread, your backlog is manageable, while mine is certainly not. There may be a correlation here... maybe getting rid of systems and unplayed games is the way to go :P

I suppose I'm in the minority in any case, since Gamestop always does these "trade in your old console when the new one comes out" promotions. The only time I've traded in systems is when I traded in an older 3DS for a newer one, which I've done a couple of times. That's the same system though, so I wasn't losing an ability to play any of my games. 

Oh, and even if you're not a Japanese game fan, the Vita has some value above and beyond the Switch. The Switch isn't going to fit in anybody's pocket, and I can't tell you how many times I've been glad that I had my 3DS or Vita in my pocket when I've been out and about. And no, I don't play smartphone games. :)

On the subject of Star Wars games, with Disney seeing what a cash cow that franchise is (I'm thinking their purchase will go down in history as one of the most lucrative license acquisitions of all time), hopefully they will start to create some decent games. Battlefront wasn't a great start but I'm hopeful about Amy Hennig (formerly of Uncharted fame) being involved with what appears to be a much more story-based game. I'd love to see another space shooter game but that genre has few releases these days. It doesn't help that the recent releases and in-development games either go mostly unnoticed (Star Fox Zero) or are surrounded by controversy (No Man's Sky, Star Citizen). 

Oh I'm a packrat for sure but every once in a while, I get the itch and then stuff must go! :) I never sold any of my dinosaurs though, or my old LEGO. I'm on my third SNES now, first one went to nephews when I went for the N64 and second one went somewhere after I traded my Game Cube for a Wii and had gotten an X360 as well.

I gave away my X360 after I had stopped playing with it and had gotten a PS3 from a friend who wasn't using his any more. Gave my X360 to a friend as well :) and with it, my 130+ backlog. I just had bought a PS4 and I was not going to let the same thing happen again. Think I'm doing pretty well so far... It's costing me a lot of restraint though.

I don't do smartphone games either but I do read stuff on my phone. I never just have my Vita with me, it's always in a backpack or suitcase because I'm going somewhere. Combine that with the small Vita just being a wee bit too tiny for me to play comfortably for extended periods, and the size of the Switch is nothing but win on my end.

Disney is doing very well with both Star Wars and Marvel, the only bad choice I have seen them make is give the Star Wars game rights to EA. I want to see more good Star Wars games, I can't see why they haven't ported Super The Empire Strikes Back and Super Return Of The Jedi yet, but for now I guess that Mass Effect Andromeda will have to do.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Oh I'm a packrat for sure but every once in a while, I get the itch and then stuff must go! :) I never sold any of my dinosaurs though, or my old LEGO. I'm on my third SNES now, first one went to nephews when I went for the N64 and second one went somewhere after I traded my Game Cube for a Wii and had gotten an X360 as well.

I gave away my X360 after I had stopped playing with it and had gotten a PS3 from a friend who wasn't using his any more. Gave my X360 to a friend as well :) and with it, my 130+ backlog. I just had bought a PS4 and I was not going to let the same thing happen again. Think I'm doing pretty well so far... It's costing me a lot of restraint though.

I don't do smartphone games either but I do read stuff on my phone. I never just have my Vita with me, it's always in a backpack or suitcase because I'm going somewhere. Combine that with the small Vita just being a wee bit too tiny for me to play comfortably for extended periods, and the size of the Switch is nothing but win on my end.

Disney is doing very well with both Star Wars and Marvel, the only bad choice I have seen them make is give the Star Wars game rights to EA. I want to see more good Star Wars games, I can't see why they haven't ported Super The Empire Strikes Back and Super Return Of The Jedi yet, but for now I guess that Mass Effect Andromeda will have to do.

That's not a packrat, true packrats never get an itch to get rid of stuff. They climb over the pile of stuff and when people complain (home or work), they just move the pile into a closet or something, and make a new pile. :P

I usually have my briefcase with me also, but most people don't bring those in the mall to have handy for when the wife is shopping. I know I don't. :)

I think Disney gave the rights to EA because they see how much money their franchises rake in. They have a lot of experience with making quality movies, but not so much with games. Still, at least they're smart enough to know when to cut the cord, like when they killed Disney Infinity recently. If EA can't deliver after a few games, that contract will be changed. Anyway, you mention Mass Effect which is also EA, so it's not like all EA games are terrible (although strangely enough I never fell in love with that series and still haven't bothered to play ME3 after getting bored in ME2). Not all of them will be MP-only bland games like Battlefront. 

It is odd that more games aren't being ported though, like the two you mentioned. 

31 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's not a packrat, true packrats never get an itch to get rid of stuff. They climb over the pile of stuff and when people complain (home or work), they just move the pile into a closet or something, and make a new pile. :P

I usually have my briefcase with me also, but most people don't bring those in the mall to have handy for when the wife is shopping. I know I don't. :)

I think Disney gave the rights to EA because they see how much money their franchises rake in. They have a lot of experience with making quality movies, but not so much with games. Still, at least they're smart enough to know when to cut the cord, like when they killed Disney Infinity recently. If EA can't deliver after a few games, that contract will be changed. Anyway, you mention Mass Effect which is also EA, so it's not like all EA games are terrible (although strangely enough I never fell in love with that series and still haven't bothered to play ME3 after getting bored in ME2). Not all of them will be MP-only bland games like Battlefront. 

It is odd that more games aren't being ported though, like the two you mentioned. 

There's a difference between a packrat, and a hoarder :)

Maybe it's just luck that my wife doesn't enjoy shopping that much and just goes when she needs to,buys what she needs to and then quickly goes back home. If we go together at all, she usually just picks me back up at the game store.

No EA is not a complete f*ckfest but they're getting pretty close, that we haven't seen any remastereds or ports after the initial three PS2 games and one SNES game and that Battlefront is still the only thing they delivered says enough. Compare Fantasy Flight Games, which does amazing work in the "Star Wars licence for table games" department...

I did not like ME3 though not for the usually cited reasons. I felt like not being in control any more, my Shepard - pure renegade for the entirety of the previous two games, with the exception of saving all species - was suddenly being very paragon without me being able to make any of the conversation decisions.

3 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Lalalalalalala! I can't hear you two!

I'm busy with shooting red shells at you! >u<

Someone, *cough* Billy probably *cough*, should totally found a Nintendo group or something...

So we all meet at the battleground... uhhhhhm... Track somewhen! >:) 

Do we have things like "groups" on PSNP? Or did you mean on the Switch itself?

I actually intend to do either a Switch event or game discussion thread on here, don't know which yet (maybe both?).

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

There's a difference between a packrat, and a hoarder :)

Maybe it's just luck that my wife doesn't enjoy shopping that much and just goes when she needs to,buys what she needs to and then quickly goes back home. If we go together at all, she usually just picks me back up at the game store.

No EA is not a complete f*ckfest but they're getting pretty close, that we haven't seen any remastereds or ports after the initial three PS2 games and one SNES game and that Battlefront is still the only thing they delivered says enough. Compare Fantasy Flight Games, which does amazing work in the "Star Wars licence for table games" department...

I did not like ME3 though not for the usually cited reasons. I felt like not being in control any more, my Shepard - pure renegade for the entirety of the previous two games, with the exception of saving all species - was suddenly being very paragon without me being able to make any of the conversation decisions.

Fair enough on the difference, I don't watch those stupid reality shows (of any type, but specifically those ones about hoarders). Besides, who needs to see an exaggerated version of themselves on TV? :P I'm only familiar with being called a packrat throughout my life. 

I don't know enough about the EA deal and what they're making in terms of Star Wars. Were those ported games published by EA or somebody else (on PSN, the one game I checked - Bounty Hunter - just shows "Disney Interactive Studios")? Also, how does LEGO SW Force Awakens fit into the deal? Obviously TT Games started working on that after Disney got the license, and EA had nothing to do with that game. Anyway, I'm not super confident in EA but I am cautiously optimistic for the story-based game that's in development. Putting Amy Hennig and Jade Redmond on the project is a good sign that it's not just another Battlefront bore-fest. 

Also, I third the idea of your starting a Nintendo group here. I like this site a lot (despite being a recent member), if for no other reason that I can sort my trophy-registered games any way I want (which the PS4 still can't do, only the Vita trophy app can sort while showing all 3 trophy-enabled platforms). As a bonus, the members here seem pretty decent for the most part also. :) Anyway, it would be fun to have a Nintendo section where we can talk about Nintendo games and systems past, present, and future without the extremes of fanboyism and haters that usually follow Nintendo-centric sites around. Besides, being a Sony site we can discuss Nintendo in that context, e.g. how 3DS versions of games compare to Vita ones, etc. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

News on the Switch: apparently Nintendo is ramping it up with production to get some more consoles out there at release, now that the entirety of the first batch of two million consoles has been pre-ordered.

Also: apparently employees at the PAX South try-out stands were absolutely sure that Snipperclips is going to be a launch title now.

11 hours ago, AuzzieWingman said:

Please do. I'm not a fan of Switch myself, but I have a feeling you can garner meaningful discussion here than on a Nintendo fan site.

Trust me, I've been there. Twice. Ugh.

13 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, I second the idea of your starting a Nintendo group here. I like this site a lot (despite being a recent member), if for no other reason that I can sort my trophy-registered games any way I want (which the PS4 still can't do, only the Vita trophy app can sort while showing all 3 trophy-enabled platforms). As a bonus, the members here seem pretty decent for the most part also. :) Anyway, it would be fun to have a Nintendo section where we can talk about Nintendo games and systems past, present, and future without the extremes of fanboyism and haters that usually follow Nintendo-centric sites around. Besides, being a Sony site we can discuss Nintendo in that context, e.g. how 3DS versions of games compare to Vita ones, etc. 

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/45104-nintendo-switch-thread-for-nintendo-switch-players/

Having seen the Nintendo sites and not seeing anything with a forum as big as PSNP, I decided to go ahead and create a thread here for Switch gamers to get together and talk about Switch games.

Sorry Moses, I thought that having a thread exclusive to Switch was more needed at this point than a Nintendo thread in general, though maybe that one can still be created. Also, going to think about doing a Switch event, not unlike my Golden Oldies event.

Fair enough on the difference, I don't watch those silly reality shows (besides, who needs to see an exaggerated version of themselves on TV? :P) and I'm only familiar with being called a packrat throughout my life. 

I don't watch reality shows either, I never watched that hoarders show but it was a word before the show :)

I don't know enough about the EA deal and what they're making in terms of Star Wars. Were those ported games published by EA or somebody else (on PSN, the one game I checked - Bounty Hunter - just shows "Disney Interactive Studios"? Also, how does LEGO SW Force Awakens fit into the deal? Obviously TT Games started working on that after Disney got the license, and EA had nothing to do with that game. Anyway, I'm not super confident in EA but I am cautiously optimistic for the story-based game that's in development. Putting Amy Hennig and Jade Redmond on the project is a good sign that it's not just another Battlefront bore-fest. 

Yeah the EA deal is probably for new, non-LEGO games only. That leaves them just with Battlefront after more than a year though. Let's hope the wait for more news is almost over...

21 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

News on the Switch: apparently Nintendo is ramping it up with production to get some more consoles out there at release, now that the entirety of the first batch of two million consoles has been pre-ordered.

Sorry Moses, I thought that having a thread exclusive to Switch was more needed at this point than a Nintendo thread in general, though maybe that one can still be created. Also, going to think about doing a Switch event, not unlike my Golden Oldies event.

I don't watch reality shows either, I never watched that hoarders show but it was a word before the show :)

Really... does that mean preorders will soon be available for those of us who missed it the first time? Will we have more than a day before they're sold out? :P

Seriously though, I would like to preorder if that option becomes available again in the US. I'll have to keep my eyes open. 

No worries about the thread, if I can't get a Switch at release I'll look forward to reading yours and others' thoughts, and if I do, I'll be sharing my own. :)

I didn't seriously think TV had coined the term "hoarders", but I'd certainly never heard it until a few years ago. Maybe it's a regional thing. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Really... does that mean preorders will soon be available for those of us who missed it the first time? Will we have more than a day before they're sold out? :P

Seriously though, I would like to preorder if that option becomes available again in the US. I'll have to keep my eyes open. 

No worries about the thread, if I can't get a Switch at release I'll look forward to reading yours and others' thoughts, and if I do, I'll be sharing my own. :)

I didn't seriously think TV had coined the term "hoarders", but I'd certainly never heard it until a few years ago. Maybe it's a regional thing. :dunno:

I think that whatever the new number will be, there are already waiting lists in most stores so your best bet would be to sign up at a few stores and hope one gets more consoles. They might even be sold out before actually being available...

I'd heard of a hoarder before but the show certainly popularised the term. I can't stand reality shows in general though, ironically they're often more fake than the fictional stuff.

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think that whatever the new number will be, there are already waiting lists in most stores so your best bet would be to sign up at a few stores and hope one gets more consoles. They might even be sold out before actually being available...

I'd heard of a hoarder before but the show certainly popularised the term. I can't stand reality shows in general though, ironically they're often more fake than the fictional stuff.

Yeah, good advice. Gamestop is probably the safest bet in the USA; I doubt anywhere else is even doing waiting lists. The only other system I've gotten at launch was the PS4, which I think I preordered a month or two after preorders opened. Of course Sony planned on that having more stock at launch, since they do launches differently from Nintendo.