PSA: Your Account Information May Be Compromised

thegirlruka

Sony's database may have been compromised within the past month.

There have been multiple reports of people being unable to set their ps4 as their primary ps4 in the playstation support forums within the past month. I, myself, am also affected by this issue. I was told to go to Sony's Account Management online portal and deactivate all of my devices from the portal. it appears that this has recently occurred, which didn't surprise me as much as it should have. 3 weeks ago (when this month's IGC released) I had to reactivate my vita and ps3 in order to download the games from the web store. When I had to do that, I thought nothing of it at the time. You can see a screenshot of the account management portal below.

8DqSlED.png

Luckily, I didn't have any credit card information stored on my account so there have been no unknown purchases on my account.

Wait a minute. This sounds familiar :hmm:

Well it probably does. You may remember Happy's classic tale, "Sony's Amazing Support" starring Matt Damon. One difference in our stories is that my email account has not been compromised (to my knowledge.) I'll definitely be changing my email address's password after this though. I might end up asking him for the email address he used to fix his situation if my chat with support later ends up being as fruitful as his first attempt.

Why does this concern me?

Well, it might not. I would urge everyone to change their passwords and also to check on the account management portal to see if their devices have recently been deactivated. I would especially urge those who have not been on their vita or ps3 in the past month because you do not need your ps4 activated as a primary ps4 to be able to play your own ps4 games. The issue seems to be more widespread than back in Happy Days based on the reports I've seen in the playstation support forums, so it may be in your best interest to check anyway. If you haven't already, you may also want to enable two-step verification on your account.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 3

And this is why two factor is of critical importance.

2 step verification has been available for two months now. If you care about account security you better activate it asap.

I'm doing that right now. It's a shame I didn't do it proactively, but at least it'd being done. And if my failure to do so causes someone else to do it proactively then at least something good can come out of this bad experience.

Edited by kuuhaku

What about the ones that have not been on PS4? :awesome:

I mainly said that because it's harder to notice on the ps4 than on the other two systems. People can still play their games on ps4 without being activated as the primary but deactivating all of your accounts requires you to redownload the licenses for ps3 games that have separate downloads for licenses.

Edited by kuuhaku

You should be changing your passwords periodically anyway, so the answer is yes.

I think you should. If you haven't activated two-step verification then I would advise you do that as well.

Well fuck, I actually had pride in my password but it is better to be safe than sorry. I guess I have to come up with a new combination of letters and symbols and I have shitty memory too.......Hello Darkness, my old friend

My PSN password has no meaning to me, i had to write it down otherwise i would forget it.

Despite that I think 2 step verification is essential, and to be fair if someone still gets hold of your account after that then you are either very unlucky or you have been very careless, or (and this will always be my favourite) my younger brother must have done it as a joke... #zzzZZZ