PSNP's Year End Awards-2016

I’m sorry if some of these are long. I have played roughly 50-60+ games this year and I couldn’t just stick to one game for some of the awards. Some are doubled up in a couple categories and I may have repeated myself a bit but I felt the need to explain, to vent some frustration with some of these experiences I have had.
So, here we go!

Piece of Cake Plat Award
My Name is Mayo

I had to choose this one as it was a "piece of cake". Besides Telltale games, this is probably the easiest game to platinum.
Who knew clicking and dressing up a mayo jar would be fun?

The Billy Mitchell Award

Bloodborne/Lords of the Fallen - I'm torn between these two honestly.

Bloodborne - All I had left (besides two endings) was the chalice dungeons. I did have a friend going through it with me but that defiled chalice dungeon was no effing joke. The amount of insight we used, mostly on Amygdala, was ridiculous. It was also stupid because after all the attempts together, we both ended up killing it solo. I was also able to finish the last dungeon solo with only two deaths. Have yet to start the DLC.

Lords of the Fallen - That Dark Souls knock off, ha. It was enjoyable, until you got to your second and third play throughs. It felt like the difficulty got stupid hard with each one, and that made me rage a couple times because some of those boss fights are hard as hell and normal enemies are too. It's all about the timing and if you have a strong weapon/good armour, know weak points and are extremely patient. But, I got to the end of my final play through and prevailed. Probably won't touch the DLC though, unless I want to fully 100% it one day.

Bad Ass Award

Dark Souls 2 (PS3)

I had a lot of bad ass moments in games but the one from this really sticks out. I was playing though this with my boyfriend and while I was waiting to see his summon sign, some guy invaded me. Butt naked. All he did was chuck hexes. Did some damage to him and he goes and takes off past enemies, hoping I'd be stupid enough to follow. Of course I didn't. He starts coming back, applies bolt paper on a weapon and tries to wale on me, failing miserably. He got himself pinned in a corner where I took the advantage of returning the hits and ultimately kicked his ass. He sent me a message calling me a noob and that healing shows a lot of skill. All I did was laugh and replied with "LOL says the one that ran away and kept using hexes. GET GOOD SON!" Honestly, I have a love/hate relationship with Dark Souls because I hate PvP, unless I'm with friends and obviously you can't do that in DS2 PvP areas but I love it because I like RPG's. Just wish they'd leave online crap out of them though but the fact was I felt so bad ass after that. He comes to my world and tries his utmost best to kill me, fails miserably then has the balls to call ME a noob.

Grind of the Year
Far Cry 2

I have the platinum for every game in the series but I HATED this one. It was just atrocious... Played the campaign on easy, felt like I was on the hardest difficulty the whole time, and I hated the fact weapons broke after so much use. The fast travel was really stupid and limited, the story was dumb and collecting the diamonds was pain staking (and I like to find collectibles). It was the worst put together game I think I have ever played and I’ve played A LOT of games. I don’t know why they added online to it because it was one of the worst experiences I’ve ever had. It’s no wonders it was probably the worst game Ubisoft ever made.

Best Online Experience
Bloodborne/Dark Souls 2/ESO

I don’t play many online games but I'll explain why I can't pick just one.

Bloodborne - I have a couple friends that play this. They helped me (and vise versa) when I needed help killing a boss for a trophy when I was a low level. Sure, I got invaded maybe three times the entire time I played in PvP areas but 2/3 times, I had them with me so it wasn't an issue. And the way the summoning was in this compared to DS (not to mention how gorgeous the scenery is) was super simple to get your friends in your game. I quite enjoyed it.

Dark Souls 2 - Only mentioning this again due to the fact my boyfriend played the entire game with me, and helped me out a lot to get the platinum.

Elder Scrolls Online - Most MMORPG's have some a-holes in them but I found a couple really cool people while doing my thing in ESO. Lots of people are willing to help you out if you ask and most don't even ask for anything in return (at least I haven't had that besides trading an item so they can make whatever for me). It could very well be one of the more chill online experiences I've ever had doing PvE solo in a HUGE, and I mean HUGE game.

Worst Online Experience

Far Cry 2/The Last of Us

Far Cry 2 - Even after 8 years, the server is still going BUT it's the worse server I've EVER played on. Constant crashing, maxed exp each match (which sometimes didn't even count), not to mention the most RIDICULOUS unlocks I've ever seen. Thank god I had an extremely awesome partner, who I am still friends with to this day, who spent almost every day for a month with me so we could finish it. Honest to god, I will never touch that game again. It can sit on my shelf as part of my collection. It wasn't even fun. It was boring as hell and the War Party trophy, man I was surprised that there was even a session for it when I decided to go for the platinum.

The Last of Us – I absolutely love this game. Favourite game of all time but I hated the online aspect of it. Sure it was different but for me, I found it impossible to get the most of the online trophies without a boosting group (probably because people cheat which in turn make it impossible). I did try before I decided to join a few sessions (for both PS3/4 versions) but random people who had EVERYTHING made it super hard for me. A few of those sessions were terrible because some people didn’t want to cooperate or they kept messing around. In my opinion, they shouldn’t have added any trophies for online.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Broforce

I hated on this indie from the moment I heard it won (I believe the first) PS vote Sony had. But then I played it while visiting my boyfriends and found it surprisingly fun as hell. It gets harder the farther you are into the game but it’s still quite enjoyable. We had a tonne of laughs playing through together.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Nom Nom Galaxy

In all honesty, I have not bought many brand new, just released games this year. Most games I buy and play, I end up enjoying but if I had to put at least one game I played this year in this spot, I’d have to go with Nom Nom Galaxy. It was free on plus and I played it for maybe a day and got super bored. It’s like a really bad version of Minecraft/Terraria. Might get around to finishing it one day.

Best Platinum of 2016

I honestly can’t pick just one. There were so many platinum’s I’ve gotten this year that I’m proud of and/or just really enjoyed the story/game play. Some were easy, some were hard but the bottom line is I enjoy every single platinum I achieve. The trophies give me other objectives to do while I’m playing through a game.

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer
Far Cry 2

Oh... It’s this game again. What a coincidence.

It was the worst but it is also my most proud platinum I got this year (next to DS2, Bloodborne to name a couple). It was one of the first PS3 games I bought when I bought my PS3 in 2013 and I had no clue then that it had online. Played the story, got near the end, bought a few new games, played those and took a break from it, just to have my HDD crap out which made me lose every save I had. I didn’t touch it till early this year (almost two years later) because I got so discouraged from having to restart it but I hopped back on anyways and FINALLY finished the campaign. When I decided I was going to go for the platinum, I almost just threw it back on the shelf and say screw it because the online trophies seemed impossible and I didn’t know how dead the server would be. I had signed up on this wonderful site a month prior and I’m glad I did. I saw sessions for the online and joined immediately. I think some of the trophies I just got lucky with, which almost never happens to me but I was glad to see people still wanted to attempt this.

Now, when it came to the weapons and manuals on the multiplayer that’s a WHOLE different story. I know I ranted on a little about this game in a previous award category but unless you’ve attempted this games online and/or actually finished it, you would not understand how frustrating and absolutely freaking ridiculous it is. I spent 84 hours and 24 minutes grinding the online for this game; 10,289 kills in 399 games. That’s not including the hours I put into the campaign. So I’d say I spent well over 100 hours just to get this platinum. I would have rather put those hours into an RPG than this piece of crap. The server is so unstable, old and un-maintenance'd I’m surprised it even works at all. It does and did crash quite a lot, you have a max about of exp you can earn each match (which is so ridiculous) and if you exceed that cap, any extra exp you earned you lose (not to mention you can lose ALL that exp you just got) and even get de-ranked for absolutely no reason which happened to me a few times. But that wasn’t even the kicker with the online... The weapon and manual unlocks were the worst. You need to get a certain amount of specific kills (headshots, multi-kills) with ONE weapon just to unlock the manuals for that ONE weapon. That is where the grind really took off. I’ll spare more ranting about how BS this game is but I will say, hearing that ding and seeing the platinum pop up on your screen is the most rewarding thing.

To anyone who actually spent the time to read this, I appreciate it. I like to help if I'm able and to share my accomplishments, disappointments, etc. with other gamer's and/or trophy hunters. I really hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas (if you celebrate it) and a Happy New Year. Here’s to hoping 2017 is a better year with more amazing games! (And less shitty ones haha).

Edited by xMissFantasy
  • Like 4

Piece of Cake:

My Name is Mayo - Only took 39 minutes to complete.

Billy Mitchell Award:

Madden 13 - The legacy points, especially for defensive players, was easily frustrating. And the fact that I had to try 3 times for the QB legacy points.

Bad Ass of the Year:

Wolfenstein The New Order - I think the entire game was bad ass, so really no explanation needed here.

Grind of the Year:

Madden 13 - Again, for the legacy points.

Best Online Experience:

Uncharted 4 A Thief's End - It has always been one of my favorite MPs to play.

Worst Online Experience:

Does not apply.

Sleeper Hit of the Year:

Murdered Soul Suspect - Very underrated game. I know it is well regarded in many circles, but I feel this was one of the few games who more than delivered on whatever hype it got.

Biggest Bomb of the Year:

My Name is Mayo - Sure, it was a quick plat, but what was the point?

Best Platinum of 2016:

Wolfenstein The New Order - I even played it again after platting it due to its high enjoyment value.

Worst Platinum of 2016:

Does not apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShogunCroCop said:

Biggest Bomb of the Year:

My Name is Mayo - Sure, it was a quick plat, but what was the point?

I think the point was it is a quick plat :)

I have said it in the past. If I was a developer I would make a piss easy game with a platinum, put it up for 5 bucks and let the money roll in :).

I never get these developers that make kind of shitty games, price them at 14.99 and then make the trophies impossible to get...who is buying that game?

• Like 1

Doesn`t even have to be 2016 games as long as we played them this year? Ok, that makes it a lot easier since I didn`t even play many 2016 games :P

Piece of Cake Plat Award:

Rugby 15
It was a pretty rubbish game, but when the hardest trophy is only to win 10 matches in a row... yeah, easy as pie :)

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD :

Samurai Warriors 2 HD

I wouldn`t really class any of my 2016 plats as particularly difficult, but this was by far the most time consuming so I guess that`s the one for me.

Bad Ass Award :

Star Wars Battlefront

Had some games where I absolutely dominated the other team and nothing makes you feel more like a bad ass than dominating people online!

Grind Of The Year:

Samurai Warriors 2 HD

Like I said before, it was my hardest plat because it was the longest grind, so seems fair that it should be here too.

Best Online Experience:

Tom Clancy`s The Division

Had some really fun times online playing with friends on this game.

Worst Online Experience:

Tom Clancy`s The Division

There was also plenty of times ruined by hackers so it gets both online awards.

Sleeper Hit Of The Year:

Far Cry Primal

Didn`t even buy this one, just borrowed it from a friend. Didn`t really expect much (I`m generally not a fan of the Far Cry games), but this was really fun to play through. Loved taming and then riding all the different kinds of animals.

Biggest Bomb Of The Year:

Rugby 15

Already mentioned that it was a pretty rubbish game. But I like sports games and enjoy rugby so I had hope for it before I played it.

THE BEST PLATINUM OF 2016:

Far Cry Primal

As well as being a really fun game the trophy list was pretty good too. I don`t think there was anything missable and thankfully there was no annoying online trophies, not too grindy either. So yeah, would plat again!

Worst Plat Ov Teh Yeer:

N/A

Can`t really think of any plat that I really hated doing this year, even the games I didn`t really like were so short that they weren`t really that much of a bother to get through. Borderlands would have been by far the trophy list I hated the most, but the ones that pissed me off were all for the DLC so it`s not really eligible for worst plat :P

• Like 1

And it’s finally here!
2016 was a rough year, for sure. But how it was in terms of the trophy hunting? How many white shining statues did I earn during my interdimensional escapades this year?
Er...actually, only twelve. And with so many awards to give out, I didn’t have much of a wriggling room... heh.
So, who got what? Let’s find out! It’s time for...

Net’s Entry for PSNP’s Year End Awards, 2016 Edition!

Piece of Cake Plat Award
~ Sweet Dreams! – Rayman Origins [Vita] ~

1L8a5120.png

Fresh off the Awesomness grinding hell that was Legends, I still craved more Rayman, and resorted to playing through Origins again, this time in the handheld form, simply to scratch this sudden itch. I’ve platted Origins back in 2014, and revisiting it was even slightly nostalgic, a small reminder of the carefree days before the devious lightning strike took the life of my first PS3.
Suprisingly, I’ve effortlessly blazed through this game in a mere week, which is why it gets the Piece of Cake Award.

The Billy Mitchell Award
~Star Ocean: The Last Hope -International- – Platinum Trophy ~

1Laf541e.png 

You know, I pride myself in being the JRPG fan. I pride myself in digging through the game libraries in search of a new gems to put in my eternally growing backlog,  taking on the devious bosses with unfair stats and bullshit attacks, living through the endless grind and stockpiling tons of things that I totally won’t need anymore but can’t ditch because they are mine in my inventory.
And so, when during my usual wanderings through the game store I saw Star Ocean 4 sitting on a shelf, I’ve remembered the Epic Quest thread and thought: “What luck! Now here is the chance for me to prove my mettle! Bring on the challenge!”

I didn’t know what I was getting myself into.
Over the course of the arduous ten-months-long journey, this game had introduced me to hell. It had devoured my free time, killed my nerve cells, and tore at my already broken sanity. Sure, difficulty wise it wasn’t that bad, and the Queen was nowhere near the strongest bonus boss I’ve ever faced. But the sheer amount of time, needed to do everything, and soul-damaging, brutal grind had made this my hardest and proudest platinum yet.
And I've got two beautiful chalices along with it, holy shit they look so awesome in my trophy hall- *cough*
I don’t know if I’ll be able to top it.

Badass Award
~ Living a Virus-Induced Dream – Resident Evil 4 ~

[ Missing Image Here ]

This is going to be the most self-indulgent and strange entry in this event, I bet.
And I can't help it because it's truly was the most badass I've ever felt this year- *cough*

Now, let me explain.
Resident Evil has the most fascinating development history of any game series I’ve ever researched. And among all of its games and all of its builds nothing can top the everchanging hell that was the creation of Resident Evil 4. From an agent rookie, lost in the castle, to white-haired twins and medical experiments, and back to the agent, lost in the airship among the mists. From another castle to the illness, tinted with blue, to the murderous dolls and madmen with hooks, to the tendrils of black chasing its target down the spiraling ladder down into darkness. And from that, to the Spanish village and mind-controlling parasites we know so well.
I’ve developed quite an obsession with Resident Evil 3.5, oh yes, I did, since the very moment I’ve laid my eyes on that early trailer so long ago. Sadly, its existence is now completely buried by the sands of time, with RE4 breaking all ties with it and starting from scratch...
Or so I’ve thought.
There are a number of demos and trial builds of RE4. Most of them don’t hide any outrageous secrets. One of them, however, is an exception. The Trial Edition for GameCube, the earliest existing build of RE4. Specifically, the one with the enabled debug mode. Tracking down the image was pretty difficult, as the info was old, all download links were long dead, and it would run only on the real console, being a very early build that relied on the actual tech to work. But the moment I’ve heard that there may be even a tiny trace of RE 3.5 inside of it, I knew that I needed to find it. Throughout this year, I’ve relentlessly searched, jumping from one dead end to another. What gets to the Net, stays in the Net. It was somewhere out there, I knew it. In November, I’ve finally tracked it down.
Now, this feat alone is already badass enough, but I want to talk about one specific thing that is so badass (at least for me), it made me grin like a bloody maniac during the whole playthrough of that trial, and then some.
By messing around in the debug menu, I’ve unlocked all the existing items inside the build. Of course, many of them simply crashed the game, because they didn’t exist inside the code. However, there were three “items”, which were not only done (with their own power meter, which slowly regenerated over time and was pretty long (in its fully upgraded state, maybe?)), but completely absent from the final version of RE4. First one gave Leon the heat vision. Second one turned out to be some kind of an optical camouflage that hid him from enemies. Okay, that looks like a special agent equipment, cool...
I’ve equipped the third “item”, waited for the power meter to completely refill, and hit the Z button.
The world distorted with a whispery sound, and familliar shade of blue filled the screen. And it wasn’t just a simple cosmetic effect. It was a full-blown special power, one to slow down the enemies and cut them down with the blinding speed. And it worked. Aided by the remnants of his RE 3.5 infection, Leon made his way from the car, to the bridge and to the village, cutting slow and helpless Ganado down, as the recognisable effect of madness that I’ve spent many times gazing upon while rewatching RE 3.5 videos shone bright right there, on my TV screen, filling my ears with demented whispers.
And that was the most badass feeling ever.

Yes, I'm smiling right now.

Grind of the Year

Well, you all know what game really gets this reward from me, heh-heh.
However, Star Ocean’s grind was so ruthless and its platinum so draining to get, it has already gotten one award from me and I don’t want to make doubles, so...

~ Official Rainbow Moon Hero – Rainbow Moon ~
1L3d18c7.png

Rainbow Moon gets it instead, because (apart from SO4, duh) it’s the grindiest game I’ve platted this year.
Well, to me it didn’t seem really grindy, but my grind tolerance is like Everest high due to the all of the RPGs I’ve played, so that must be just me. Yes, grind in Rainbow Moon, be it for EXP, Pearls or the monster drops, is pretty much the only reliable means to the progression and victory... that is until you get to the point in the post game, when the level cap is already reached, you didn’t hit the powerleveling spot yet and the enemies are like 200 levels above you and kill you anyway.
Good times.

Best\Worst Online Experience
Online? Online?! With other people?! No, never! *hides in horror*

Sleeper Hit of the Year
~ Rock God – Brutal Legend ~
1Lcb5554.png

Now, I’ll cheat here a little, because I’ve not only knew about this game but actively worked to get the copy when I’ve found out there was one in the store nearby, shelling out the full price for it because it was sorry and miserable and unwanted there on the shelf, tucked into far corner behind the Gods of War and Assassin Creeds and Uncharteds, and I was only one to notice it and rescue it because the GODS OF METAL HAVE TOLD ME TO DO SO.
   *cough* Sorry. But really, there is no game among my platinums of 2016 that fits the “Sleeper Hit of the Year” moniker better than Brutal Legend.
I’ve stepped over the one of my deepest gaming fears and actually braved the MP. Stayed up all night to finish everything and prevent the game-breaking bug from corrupting my save. All to get this platinum and 100%. Need I say more?
It’s underrated, it’s wonderful and it’s metal. And I want the damn sequel.

Biggest Bomb of the Year
~ Pragmatism’s Last Reward – Danganronpa: Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls ~
1L286b99.png
*sigh*
Let me be honest. I’ve bought this game purely to complete the series.
Somewhere deep inside my mind I knew that it won’t be as good as other two games. After all, Danganronpa functions best as a VN, not as a simple, short and painfully easy TPS. But hey, at least the story would be great...
My hopes have dissipated shortly after I’ve met my charge.
Komaru Naegi. The main reason why I’m giving this game this award.
By the end of Chapter 1, I’ve wanted to feed her to the Tedd- I mean Monokumas (damn you, the absense of the Japanese voice track!). The farther I’ve got, the stronger my hate flared, and by the end of the game, I’ve wanted everything to burn, everyone to die, and my torture to end. And while the gameplay was competent enough, it was just so-so and the backtracking in search of the collectibles very soon had turned into a chore, so I’ve ended up forcing myself to finish it.
Oh, and this game actually crashed my Vita so hard one time, I was forced to reboot it with the Safe Mode. Ugh.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer
~Master of the Way of Curry – Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Curry God ~
1L57c856.png

There is no doubt in my heart for this one.
For some reason I always felt strong, almost hate-filling aversion to Compile Heart \ Idea Factory games. As I didn't want to feel as such without reason, I've decided to try one of their games and see if my feelings were unfounded or just an allergic reaction to the fanservice and Cutesy Sugar Bowl aesthetic.
After spending a mere hour in the world of Sorcery Saga, I've reached an unfortunate conclusion.

Spoiler

lego-movie-batman-in-cloud-cookoo-land-i

Sure, I tend to lock onto some aspect of the game and then proceed to despise it to no end sometimes – just look at the Ultra Despair Girls entry, or my posts in the Let’s Finish Demon Gaze thread – but I still can at least divert my attention to other, good parts of it.
Rarely have I discovered a game where I’ve hated absolutely everything, but hoo boy, Sorcery Saga is one of those games.
I've h
ated stupid characters, hated sugary sweet and nonsensical storyline, and especially hated the eternally hungry rat bastard Kuu, whose small hamster brain wasn't advanced enough to correctly maneuver around a single chest. 
I woud gladly return into the dying hell of a Blaze World and scale the Neuro Tower multiple times rather than revisit this sugar hole again.
Well, at least now I’ll know to avoid Compile Heart \ Idea Factory games. At least my backlog will be a fraction smaller...

And at least this piece of shiny shit is really rare...

Best Platinum of 2016

First, I’ve wanted to give the prize to one of the DIVA games, but after some thought decided not to, as this entry must be saved for a game where every single trophy was a treat to go for... and each of DIVAs had a few things I wasn’t fond of, like most of the Miku tracks, and song grind (I’ve become sick of Kagerou Daze and Double Lariat by the end of f2), and I certainly wish to never touch NegaPosi*Continue again... so... 

~ Sky Clad Observer – Steins;Gate ~
1L3b4dd2.png 

One interdimensional observer observes another interdimensional observer.
Mwa-ha-ha-ha! Oh, the irony!
I’ve went in craving a story about time travel and horrible things that tend to happen to ones who dare to play with the fabric of reality, and that’s what I’ve got. And then some. I even managed to sucessfully ignore all the inescapable romantic overtones that seem to be bloody mandatory in the VNs, and barely, but still sucessfully ignore the ever present bubbly manifestation of the character type that I absolutely, utterly can’t stand. That’s quite a feat.
But still, I’ve loved the story to pieces, the music was great, and I just can’t not to congratulate Hououin Kyouma for the marvelous display of insanity near the end.
And so, this award goes to my last platinum of 2016.
Such is the will of Steins Gate.
El. Psy. Kongroo.

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1

Just now, Dr_Mayus said:

Great write ups :) I understand about not giving 2 awards to a game...but I think SO4 can claim more than 1 ^_^

Then my list would be full of SO4 and boring. Luckily, I've resisted the allure... but let me tell you, it was hard to not stick Steins;Gate into the Piece of Cake spot. Such a wonderful joke... wasted... though it would be also pretty disrespectable, now that I think about it.

Edited by NetEntity

2 minutes ago, NetEntity said:

Then my list would be full of SO4 and boring. Luckily, I've resisted the allure... but let me tell you, it was hard to not stick Steins;Gate into the Piece of Cake spot. Such a wonderful joke... wasted... though it would be also pretty disrespectable, now that I think about it.

Well I haven't posted my awards yet...can't say with SO4 won't take a few awards this year :P

Just now, Dr_Mayus said:

Well I haven't posted my awards yet...can't say with SO4 won't take a few awards this year :P

Well, when you have this beauty in your profile, it's impossible to NOT show it off. If I didn't decide to go for variety, I could waste much less time writing the thing down.

• Like 1

Thought I was going to get one more plat before the year ended but I sadly didn't although even if I did it wouldn't have changed any of my awards, well anyway onto the awards doods!

PIECE OF CAKE PLAT AWARD

1L33ae3c.png

Zero Time Dilemma

No Mayo plat for this prinny :P No contest here as this was by far my easiest plat but hot damn was the story great, I love this series doods

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD

1Lf6b6ee.png

Shadow Warrior

I didn't really play many challenging games this year but I would consider this my most difficult plat this year. This was challenging due to the games highest diffculty,heroic mode, where enemies have a lot of health, enemies do a lot more damage,and there no mid level checkpoints meaning if you die in a chapter you have to start that chapter from the very beginning. Considering chapters usually range from 30 minutes- 1 hour dying near the end of chapter can be frustating. You also have to do heroic mode as a fresh playthrough so no carrying stuff over from a previous playthrough. For the most part this wasn't too bad as  I knew my way around the levels after my first playthrough but some of the later levels were tough especially levels with those BASTARD TELEPORTING DEMONS THAT CAN KILL YOU IN SECONDS AND WITH SHAMAN THAT COULD REVIVE THEM!!!!!........*takes a swig of prinny juice* ok...ok....I'm calm doods.

BAD ASS AWARD

Lfe32a4.png

BLAZBLUE CENTRAL FICTION

Now anyone who knows me knows I am a scrub at fighting games and I hate speed runs on any type of game. Central Fiction was then "kind" enough to combine these elements in Speedstar Mode which is this game's version of time attack but works a bit differently In this mode. The time is your health so not only does the time go down regularly but you lose time when you take damage and even more time if the AI lands special moves and/or high number combos and damage. You also gain time bounses for doing the same. There is one route in this mode where you must beat all 32 characters with the timer starting at 90 seconds and the AI is set to a higher difficulty. I was doing one run where I had 4 characters left but only 20 seconds so not only do I have to quickly win but I basically have to get perfects as 1 hit would pretty much lead to a combo  that would take away the rest of my time, so this run seem like a lost cause due to my subpar skills but I carried on. To my surprised I got a perfect on the next 2 fights to give me some good time gained back, took some damage on the 3rd fight but still had enough time for a chance, and on the last fight I won with 1 second left to go. I literally jumped out of my seat in excitement. Weird how my winner for this award is always finishing something with 1 second left on the clock and the 2nd year in a row it was on a fighting game doods

GRIND OF THE YEAR

1L6e9f83.png

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 

I hate that one of my favortie plat images from this year had to be used for one of the negative awards but this game honestly had no competition for this award. For anyone who had the pleasure of reading ExHaseo's status updates when he went for this plat long ago shouldn't be surprised for this entry. For those unfortunate souls that missed out on them this is my grind of the year because of the grind of getting all skills. You can buy some of the skills in the shop but most of the skills can only be earned as random drops from the Parallel Quests. This wouldn't be that bad if the RNG in this game wasn;t some of the worst out there. You will have to play through quest numerous times to get the skills needed and the worst part is this game not only has RNG but has RNG within RNG. Some items can only be earned in special battles in a quest that require meeting special conditions HOWEVER even if you meet the special conditions it is random if the special battle will activate or not (1 part of the RNG), and you won't know if it did activate until the end of the battle. If the special battle does activate you then have to hope that the skill(s) you need drop (the RNG within the 1st part of the RNG) or else you will have to repeat the cycle again. This especially sucked for some of the longer PQs, man fuck that grind doods

BEST ONLINE EXPERIENCE

Le31f85.png

Uncharted 4

I don't play many online games but of the ones I played this year this was the best one for me. I didn't have any technical issues, the randoms I played with were friendly and didn't meet any toxic players, the online was actually pretty fun, and the trophy requirements weren't bad either (required a bit more than the other games in the series but still easy and not that time consuming doods).

WORST ONLINE EXPERIENCE

L391e35.png

As I said above I dont play many online games but even if I did I doubt anything would have beaten out this game's abysmal online. I spent more time pressing X to close out numerous "You've been disconnected" notices then I did actually playing it online and this led to me putting it on hiatus for over a year. When I decided to come back to it the online wasn't working at all  so I thought "ok they finally closed down this horrible online, guess I won't have this plat". I found out however the servers weren't closed down but that only the digital NA version of the game's online didn;t work {which I later found out was because that version didn;t get the latest patch, like how the hell does that happen) meaning I would have to buy a physical copy. I  refused to buy another copy when my copy should be working fine even when they did eventually announce the servers were closing I didn't budge. Lucky for me they cared so little about the online that they didn;t close it on the day they said they would and I was able to borrow my brother's copy when I went to visit my family one weekend and finish it up and the plat. it pains me to have to put a LBP game in a negative category as I love the series but man the online was absolute garbage doods.

SLEEPER HIT OF THE YEAR AWARD

1Laf2e77.png

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational 

Of all the times doing these Year End Awards this years Sleeper Hit of the Year was the hardest award I ever had to decide on as I played quite few games that qualified but I ultimately had to go with Hot Shots Golf. I've never played one of these games before and I don't like golf (alhough mini-golf is one of my favorite hobbies) but I saw this for a very cheap price in one of the earlier sales this year so I figured why the hell not and I'm certainly glad I did. I've always found golf boring to watch but never really considered all the strategy that goes into each swing which is what I loved about this game. Having to decide which club to use for a shot, how much power to use the shot, where to place your, adjusting to weather conditions, and avoiding rough areas + sand pits.  As someone who enjoys game envolving strategy I enjoyed playing this and it is so rewarding when you get better at the mechanics and play great at tournaments. This game also gave me a greater appreciation for the game of golf which i think it is cool that a game did that doods

BIGGEST BOMB OF THE YEAR

1L164e75.png

Titan Souls

This certainly isn't a bad game but I was pretty excited to play this and this ended up being a "meh" experience. This is a game where you only fight bosses, however in this game bosses can kill you in 1 hit and you kill them in 1 hit, even though some bosses have something covering their weakspots and you have to hit them more than once to uncover it you only have to hit the weakspot once to kill it.(There actually is one boss that requires multiple hits to beat and is by far the best boss in the game but 1 good boss doesn't make up for the entire game though) This lead to quick,unsatisfying, and unmemorable battles. I actually didn't mind that bosses could kill me in 1 hit but the fact that I could beat them with 1 hit didn't feel rewarding and sometimes felt like I got lucky. Even though it would have been a little frustrating to have a boss kill me in 1 hit when it takes me multiple hits to kill it, it would have felt sooo good to win those battles. The story and exploring were pretty cool but the core gameplay led to a disappointing experience doods..

BEST PLATINUM OF THE YEAR

1L78e2ce.png

Ratchet and Clank (PS4)

Not really much to say here, I love the Ratchet and Clank games and this was a very fun plat to go for. Even grinding to max out weapons wasn't that bad doods.

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEER

1L6e9f83.png

Dragon Ball Xenoverse

I really REALLY hate that I couldnt put this in one of the better categories as this is of the best if not the best plat images I earned this year and the game itself was pretty fun too. Granted I still prefer the original Budokai games but considering I haven't really liked a Dragon Ball game since Budokai 3 this was a nice fun surprise...until I had to do the grind. Basically every reason why this won Grind of the Year is why this is the worst plat of the year. The time I spent grinding for those skills was triple the time I spent working on everything else. Having to do the same fights over and over and over *three days later* and over and over again was just so dumb and sucked any enjoyment I had from this game. It deserves this award and really had no competition for it doods.

Edited by Wdjat Prinny Doods
  • Like 3

Here are mine (finally :lol: ):

Piece of Cake Plat Award
Game of Thrones

1L46ade4.png

It was a toss-up between Tales from the Borderlands and this game, but I don't like using the same game more than once ... so yeah :lol: . Just start the game and finish every episode to plat it. Couldn't be more easier.

The Billy Mitchell Award

I usually don't put more than one game per category, but there are a few games that are tied for the first place and they each earned their spot.

Mirror's Edge

1L88ae8c.png

The time trials and speedruns requires lots of practice to beat.

Catherine

1L21b6dd.png

Getting a gold medal in every stage on Hard difficulty and beating Babel Mode tested my patience a lot. Especially Babel Mode where the game randomly selects a formation of blocks, so memorizing the efficient solutions takes lots of trial and error (mostly error).

OlliOlli2

1L286831.png

This game has 250 challenges to complete. The Titan Sky challenges are on a whole new level and the amateur version are harder than the first 4 worlds on Pro difficulty, And yes, there are 125 amateur and 125 pro challenges. All of them must be completed for the plat. A single mistake can screw up an entire run. Luckily the levels usually only take 1-2 minutes to complete.

Titan Souls

1L164e75.png

Beating all bosses in No Roll mode, Hard Mode, and Iron Man mode is brutal, especially Iron Mode, since you die from 1 hit in this game on all modes. Then there's the speedrun trophy to complete the entire game in a mere 20 minutes. That took a few attempts too.

Bad Ass Award

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

1L508e28.png

Beating Monsoon on Revengeance difficulty with an S rank while taking no damage at all B) . Can't get any more badass than that.

Grind of the Year

Diablo III

1L54f42f.png

This one is hands down the winner .... or loser, I guess. Difficulties don't stack, so it's necessary to complete the game 4 times. Luckily areas and events are randomly generated, so that adds some variety. Exploring is also rewarded, because most of the time you'll find some good loot or a treasure goblin (which are basically walking treasure chests). However, going for the plat means a lot of pointless gold farming at the end to pick up 5 million gold. You have to pick this up yourself and gold obtained from selling items, completing quests, or from other players doesn't count. To put things in perspective: I had a little over 1.5 million gold after 4 playthroughs (and I was already exploring a lot to find gold). Which meant I had to farm gold for around 35 hours on higher difficulties. 

Runner ups:

Conception II  1S416187.png

Monster Monpiece  1S5875e8.png

Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc  1S2ad416.png

Best Online Experience

Do ad-hoc trophies count? If so, then:

Dynasty Warriors Next

1L80ae59.png

There are 2 trophies in the game that requires a party of 4 people to sit in the same room. Seeing how 90% of the players are from Asia, it took around 2 years to find 3 other people from the same country to get it. Huge shout out to fellow PSNP members HcG-_Clawz, MvP-BumperKlever, and xZoneHunter. Zone even came from Belgium to boost it. 

Spoiler

UiCTVJx.jpg

If ad-hoc doesn't count, then:

Freedom Wars

1L24e735.png

I was having some connection errors and lost the connection at the time. Fellow member theguytom patiently waited to do co-op missions when there was a 50% chance I'd lose the connection before the mission was over.

Worst Online Experience

Saints Row Gat out of Hell

1L222b9b.png

The servers for this game are really crappy (not sure if it's the same for the PS4 version). I got kicked a lot from co-op sessions and the game froze quite some times, but only when doing co-op. This never happened while playing the game solo, even when I was online. The trophy was a little buggy as it popped after playing co-op for 2 hours and 16 minutes (not that I'm complaining about that, mind you). Special thanks goes to my boosting partner Stevieboy for enduring all this and still helping me out, even though he already had the platinum trophy.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Tales from the Borderlands

1Lc78509.png

To be honest I didn't have high expectations for this game (due to the huge disappointment from the first Borderlands game, which Mayus can vouch for), but this one is amazing. The story, characters, humour, music, conversations, and locations are all amazing. It's like TellTale played the pile of shit known as the first Borderlands game and then made something that's the complete opposite. The story takes place after Borderlands 2, leads up to the events from The Pre-Sequel, and there are also events that happen after that. In this game Rhys is a huge fan of Handsome Jack and dreams to follow in his footsteps. Fiona is a con-artist and scams people to make a living. These two people meet when Rhys tries to buy a Vault Key for 10 million dollar. The game didn't end where I expected it and goes on to show what happened to every character. Collecting money as Fiona opens up some new options and it's also possible to buy new skins. Telltale delivered yet another masterpiece and imo this is their best work so far, I really hope there will be a sequel. Also Butt Stallion finally makes an appearance in this game.

Runner ups:

Demon Gaze  1S76284b.png

Grim Fandango  1S9b5244.png

Virtue's Last Reward  1S783f92.png

South Park: The Stick of Truth  1S767353.png

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Life is Strange

NjAi2Oo.jpg

Let me start with this: the trophy images are horrible. This game starts out very interesting with Max having a nightmare about a huge tornado destroying everything around her. After waking up in class, Max finds out she can rewind time and saves her best friend Chloe from being shot. Chloe has been looking for her friend Rachel, who disappeared 6 months ago. During the next few episodes Max and Chloe work together to figure out what happened to Rachel, while dealing with several problems. What I liked about this game is the ability to rewind time and check out other choices. Sometimes it's even necessary to rewind time to solve puzzles or use new info during conversations. The first four episodes are imo very good, but the last one feels like the developers ran out of ideas. They could've easily ended the game after 4 episodes. In the last one there's a long part about a nightmare/broken reality that drags on for way too long and adds absolutely nothing to the story. Also the time-traveling part is a bit poorly done.

Runner up:

Game of Thrones  1S90c6c1.png

The Best Platinum of 2016

Steins;Gate

1L79e920.png

In the year 2010 the (self-proclaimed) mad scientist Hououin Kyouma attends a conference and discovers a woman lying in a pool of blood. After texting his friend, suddenly his vision blurs and hundreds of people have vanished. Not long after someone calling himself John Titor claims to be a time traveler from 2036 and has gone back in time to prevent SERN from taking over the world. Thus begins Hououin's story to unravel the conspiracy about SERN. I've seen the anime and it's one of my favourites. It follows the true ending route of the VN very closely. Still the game explains things a lot more and answers most of the questions I had from watching the anime. All the other routes were new content for me, though these endings were a bit sad. Story-wise this game is outstanding, it has great characters, and the music is amazing. It's definitely a recommendation for everyone.

Runner ups:

Persona 4 Dancing All Night  1Se86c8f.png

Tales from the Borderlands  1S196af1.png

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

Zombie Driver HD

1Laa0829.png

This game was described as a mix between older GTA games with a top-down view and The Walking Dead, which sounds promising. Let's me tell you: it's not.  A nameless city suddenly became infected with a mysterious disease and is now overrun by zombies. This is a very mediocre game, the story mode has 31 missions with a briefing and result screen. It's obvious the army is just using you to do their dirty work. The missions get really cheap later on when exploding zombies are almost everywhere. These deal massive damage when you're near one. The races are terrible since the game has a top-down view, my attention was divided between watching the mini-map and the screen for obstacles and invisible walls at corners. More than once I'd hit an invisible wall and end up losing the race. Slaughter mode is just a survival mode with endless zombies. Like in the story mode, exploding zombies will swarm you in the later waves and the invisible walls that hinder you return.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 3

On 2016-12-31 at 9:15 PM, Wdjat Prinny Doods said:

For anyone who had the pleasure of reading ExHaseo's status updates when he went for this plat long ago shouldn't be surprised for this entry.

Some of my favourite status updates to read :D

Sorry I am late. I had 2 days of New Year events to do and then today I spent both cleaning up from my party on Saturday and platting Neptunia (which I was hoping to finish before the New Year). Anyways thank you everyone for your entries. One of my favourite parts of the Year End Awards is seeing all of these different gaming experiences. It is funny seeing one person trash a game and the next person put it as their game of the year. That is what makes gaming so fun there are different tastes for everyone :).

RNcN8t6.png

Piece of Cake Plat Award

1Lf4cd41.png

Day of the Tentacle: Remastered

Yeah I used a guide but I did beat this when I was a teenager legit so I don't feel bad about that. This was a great game with good puzzles and a fun story so it should be on people's lists if they like Puzzle Adventure Games :)

f37v9e.jpg

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD

1Lc4e3e5.png

Sports Champions 2

A much easier experience than Sports Champions 1 but there were still some difficult opponents to beat. Getting the Gold in Bowling, Boxing and Tennis made you play perfectly and since it is a Move Game playing perfectly also means adjusting for the controller doing what it wants sometimes.

For bowling you need to throw a strike on every frame if you hope to win and boxing requires great timing and precision hits. The biggest one for me is Tennis...but that will be talked about in the next award.

adnldv.jpg

39L7495d2.png

Gold Cup in Tennis in Sports Champions 2

I attempted to earn this platinum before trophy 7000...I am now at 10717 trophies. The reason I put this on hold for 3000 trophies is because of Gold Cup on Tennis. I attempted to beat that robot so many times and I finally got close and I needed to win just one more match and everything went wrong. My shots weren't registering anymore, when they did they didn't go where I wanted and the Move decided to just fuck with me. I know that is lame to blame the controller...but really it is the truth.

So I turned it off and never played it again. but thanks to @Wdjat Prinny Doods, @zajac9999 and @Hemiak allowing me to participate in the Ultra Rare Plat Race I decided to give it one more chance...and I beat that stupid Robot on my second try and earned this plat. I was just on fire on the court and destroyed him in 2 sets. I felt like a Right Badass and I actually did a fist pump in the air :)

1zfndsp.jpg

1Laf541e.png

Star Ocean 4

Do I even have to explain this one...just go here https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/27340-lets-play-so4-epic-quest-for-the-platinum-trophy// to see what all the fuss was about.
Fuck you @Dragon-Archon and @Precision-Playyy for starting this mess :(

D9wRViR.png

Best Online Experience

1Ld7c660.png

Dead Island Riptide

I don't play a lot of online games so I had to use one of my Plat Rain games from last year. It was technically platted in 2016 and it is my Award's Show...so whatever.

I was not expecting to like this game. I bought it cheap off a Flash Sale and had an absolute blast playing it. It had gotten a lot of hate from other people but for me it was one of my favourite open-world games as it felt tense whenever you entered an area because everything was trying to kill you.

I was kind of dreading playing through with a partner but found someone @Fozzyabear who was also playing it for Plat Rain and had an awesome time playing through the game with him and it changed up the gameplay experience. Single Player was tense and hectic...Co-Op was more powerhouse and dominating :).

Anyways it was a fun game and worth checking out.

Dhoz5zM.png

Worst Online Experience

1Lc35cb9.png

Littlebigplanet 3

This game had everything going for it...great level design, great music, fun new characters, good boss fights...and then the Online came in :(@TheYuriG tried to play with me but the lag was so bad that it was impossible. I had to solo everything with 2 controllers because we just couldn't get this to work. It wasn't our connections either because we have done other online games together. No, I had a horrible experience with every person I tried connecting with and in the end I just gave up trying to go online.

dykjnl.jpg

1L38b9c7.png

Puppeteer

This game was so good I actually thought Media Molecule made it. The story, character designs, level designs, boss fights...just so much fun :) The collectibles could fuck right off but everything else was a great experience.

I put it as a sleeper hit because honestly I didn't really hear too much about it. I mean it was a 1st party Sony game but it never really got a lot of attention and found its way Free on Plus very quickly.

29aqvm8.jpg

1Ld670ce.png

Saturday Morning PRG

It wasn't like I was expecting a lot out of this game as I bought it for a 1$ but they took an OK RPG and completely ruined it with 1 thing...the stupid battle stickers. I had to frantically rotate my right analog stick before every battle so I could scratch my stickers. This thing pretty much killed the analog sticks on my Vita and I had to do it before every fight.

Why couldn't I just equip them? I mean would that have been so bad? See just because you came up with a gameplay mechanic that is different...doesn't mean it is good. If it was good then it would show up in a lot more games.

2qast4p.jpg

THE BEST PLATINUM OF 2016

L43866e.png

Saints Row IV

I love the Saints Row series :) I love the characters, I love that it doesn't take itself seriously, I love the music, I love the customization, I love the side missions, I love the main missions, I love that you can drive up on the sidewalk and run over an old lady and that that actually fits into the story of the game as oppose to something "you aren't supposed to do...but you are going to do anyways".

Saints Row is the definition of Fun...too many games forget that that should be the main goal :)

120s3km.jpg

1Laf541e.png

Star Ocean 4

As is the tradition here is my review for this game as I REFUSE to write anything more.

I have platinumed some long and tough games, like Mega Mind and Rio, but nothing could prepare me for the endless Ocean of Stars that is this platinum. Why would I Platinum this game? Well because Dragon made a stupid joke a year ago and sent us on this fools quest...I mean Precision have you even started the game yet :shakefist:

Was this game good?

Yes

Was this platinum fun?

:hmm: ... <_< ... :| ... :(

THE GOOD

As I mentioned this game was really well done. The gameplay was fast and exciting, the characters (minus a few which we will talk about later) are great and colourful, the Story was generic but well told and the battle customization meant you could play the game your way and experiment to see what worked well for you.

The game offered a challenge but never felt unfair. If you were having trouble you could use the Synth machine and get yourself better gear or maybe you could change up your attack patterns/battle config to give yourself an edge.

The music was amazing, the graphics were stunning and all in all it was a good RPG that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good RPG...now if you are looking for a fun Plat...keep reading.

The Bad

Before I get to the plat let me talk about some of the stuff in the game that pissed me off.

Sarah...just Sarah. Wdjat warned me about her but I was not ready for that. Seriously the first time you meet her I thought she was just pretending to be kidnapped as she was like 'Oh my, I have been kidnapped...who could possibly save me from these bad guys" (said in the most bland and bored voice ever). I soon realized THAT WAS HER FUCKING CHARACTER...sorry...she is just really annoying. The thing is she is your best healer so you have to have her in your party. Pretty soon "Angel Feathers" and "Resurrection" will sound like a cat being strangled to you.

Other characters that can fuck right off...kay? Lymle. I don't know is she supposed to be 8 or what but she gets really creepy with the older men in this game and that voice (you know the one that sounds like she had a lobotomy) really gets to you...kay? Also Nappy Time is just uncomfortable to watch.

Emo Edge. If you played the game you know what I am talking about. After a certain part of the game Edge (your main character) starts listening to My Chemical Romance and watching the Crow all the damn time. Seriously this is your main protagonist but you have to listen to him whining like an insufferable child for a good chunk of gameplay.

Also there are some gameplay problems that I have to get off my chest as well.

Why would your character target the enemy across the screen instead of the Giant Boss Monster that is right in front of him? I would run in a circle around a boss trying to get my character to lock onto it so I could continue my assault.

Who thought that the end sequence needed to be non-skippable? I mean every other cut scene in the game is skippable but not the one that is 4 hours long? I mean the worst part is there actually is 1 part in the end cutscene that is skippable so they let you skip part of it but not the whole thing? I am not joking about the length either. I was able to beat the boss, leave my apartment and walk to 7-11 (4 blocks away) buy a drink, walk back and the cut scene still had not finished. You have to beat the game at least 3 times to get the plat and more if you do a Faize Run AND have to attempt the Battle Trophy for beating him with Sarah if you failed the first time. I mean I saw that stupid 10 hour cut scene no less than a dozen times because YOU CAN'T SKIP IT.

Well let us finally get to the Platinum... :angry:

THE UGLY

Let us get the ball rolling with 900 battle trophies.

If you are not familiar with these they are special things you have to do in the game. Kill X amount of enemies, beat a boss in a certain time, do exact damage etc. The thing is while the Battle Trophies carry over from save to save...the stats don't. So defeat 30000 enemies with Edge doesn't mean you have to kill 30,000 enemies across 4 playthroughs NOPE you have to do it in 1 playthrough. So despite the game forcing you to play the game at least 3 times (more if you do a Faize playthrough) you can't use those playthroughs to work on the 30,000 kills (for both Edge and Arumat). ALSO you have to be controlling the character for the kill to count. So you can't even work on a different BT at the same time because Edge has to land the kill. The thing is there are also BTs for getting 255 of a certain type of item from battle. There are 8 of these (one for each character except Faize) but you have to control that character at the end of the battle so you can't work on your kill trophies here because you have to make sure that the character that needs the Drop trophy is in your control.

That would all be fine if that was the way it was for all BTs BUT there are BTs that don't force you to be in control of the character to earn. So why do some count but not others?

ALSO there are NO TRACKING FOR ANY OF THE BTS. Are you at 16,000? 17,000? 27,000 kills? I don't know, just keeping killing Bats and Bees until it unlocks I guess. You have no way of knowing anything unless you have pads of paper lying around where you tick off your kills or drops. Would it have been so hard to have a stats page? No tracking also means you have no idea what quests you have done or what items you have synthed. You better have several Word Docs opened to make sure you are keeping track of everything because the game won't tell you what is left to do.

Speaking of Quests the guide was wrong TWICE. Meaning I had to do the Quest trophy 3 times because the guide writer forgot to mention some missable stuff :(

What about Coliseum battles? You have to do 200 battles with each character. You also have to do the Team battles to get to the top to fight Ashlay. Why can't some of those battles count towards the 200 with each character...Fuck You...that's why. Also there is a ridiculous amount of text after each battle so you have to go through the same cut-scene 1800 times for just the Solo trophies and another 50 or so times for the Team battles.

There are Exact Damage trophies that require such precise stats to unlock you need a guide to get you there, timed battle trophies that require you to have a stop watch so you can beat a battle in the exact time, other timed battle trophies that require you to beat the hardest bosses with the worst characters in a time limit EXCEPT you don't know how much health the boss has, you have to land the killing blow with the bad character and if you fail...the final dungeon takes 4 hours to complete so you better start climbing again :(

There are trophies that make you win the bunny race 100 times...it doesn't get harder...it is just makes you run the course 100 times because once again 'Fuck You' I guess.

There are random item drops, random treasure chests, random enemy encounters, random random random random random....Why So Random :(

CONCLUSION

Thank you Dragon for putting on the Epic Quest. It really gave life to this long and tiring platinum.

Thank you Wdjat for originally doing the Resistance 2 vs Star Ocean 4 Plat Race...knowing what I do now, I feel bad for winning that race ^_^

Thank you Dav9834 for making the rewards for all of us that finished this thing

Thank you Balls, Choco, Masamune, Stalker, Final, STFU, Nevet, Boooda and all the rest that provided funny replies to my statuses and encouragement along the way.

fdbtk7.jpg

I was shocked when this finally unlocked :)

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 4

Guess I'm late to the party. I'll sneak my awards in, if that's alright.

Piece of Cake Award

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/81cc41/Lf80838.png

It's difficult to find anything easier, that still resembles a game in some shape or form. It crept up in one of the sales and I just thought fuck it why not... and it's actually not as bad as I expected it to be. No stroke of genius that's for sure, but still somewhat enjoyable.

The Billy Mitchell Award

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/8237b5/L7b12d9.png

(PS4)

While not being an overly difficult game in itself, the technical issues make this a nightmare. It was fairly smooth sailing up until the final third of the game, then it all went to hell. NPCs stopped rendering, bridges stopped rendering, and eventually whole buildings and environments stopped rendering. Ever tried moving up in a tower where you can't see the walls, floor and ceiling? That's Risen 3 for you.

Bad Ass of the Year

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/7b41c7/trophies/39L1a7ed8.png

All Power to Forward Shields

(Complete the Space Battle with a hull integrity of 85% or more )

This one is the turret section from the Star Trek game and is a pain in the ass. You need to shoot enemies while not taking more than a few hits yourself. You can either use a shield (which needs to regenerate) or shoot, so you'll have to be alternating between the two and time everything right so you don't fall below the threshold. Took me numerous tries until I finally got this done.

Grind of the Year

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/da94bd/Lba8c60.png

25 playthroughs just for the slightly different stories and the additional about 10 or so extra playthroughs to grind out levels in order to buy all the skills. There may be tougher grinds out there, but this was one of the most boring and pointless ones. The skills are mostly useless, and the stories are predictable and dull.

Best Online Experience

There is no such thing.

Worst Online Experience

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/db0b12/L09cbf1.png

Not because of the players, but because of the net-coding. Connecting at all to other players is almost a coin toss, let alone the game crashing during the online portion, or not saving progress when completing a match on each level. Bloody nightmare.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/b950a0/Laab78b.png

Didn't expect much of it, wasn't even sure if I'd like the game at all. Bought it anyway and have no regrets. Solid side-scrolling action with some platforming and rpg elements. That has an interesting story and quests with various possible outcomes. It's not perfect, but far better than I would have anticipated.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/2410e9/L6d0495.png

(Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations - PS4)

For some reason I expected a completely different game when I bought this. That'll teach me not researching a game for once. This was a half-arsed point-and-click adventure, with boring story, gameplay and shit dialogues.

Best Platinum of 2016

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/0cb580/L50d97e.png

(Fallout 4)

As someone who loves the Fallout franchise from the very first until and including the (official) 4th, it would be difficult not to pick this one as my favourite game I played in 2016. The one thing that I didn't like was the settlement nonsense.

Worst Platinum of 2016

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/0f2715/L614cb1.png

(Damnation)

Had a few candidates for this one, but nothing was as bad of an experience as Damnation. There isn't one redeeming quality about this game. Here's to hoping Codemasters never touches anything again that isn't a racing game.

• Like 1

Personally, I think it's fair announce personal "2016 awards" in 2017. So I'm announcing my list:

RNcN8t6.png&key=72e127a9c65a81db9bedf50a

My Piece of Cake Plat Award goes to: 

1L5e92fc.png

Rugby 15 (PS3)

Maybe the hardiest part about this game was understanding controls and some Rugby rules...

f37v9e.jpg&key=732627bf6ba5ca73386f864e6

My Billy Mitchell Award goes to: 

1L4a947c.png

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X (PS4)

I wasn't played too many difficult games last year, so I will choose this because of plenty of songs on Extreme I had to complete... (specially one which I had to complete the song itself on Extreme difficulty and its Chance Zone to getting a module)

adnldv.jpg&key=676661d075d4772944a06d54d

My Bad Ass Award goes to:

25L99266d.png

I'll Save That for Later - Driveclub Bikes (PS4)

Another trophy which isn't difficult at all, but considering I've thought it would be hard to meet at least five more people on a lobby, and even with enough people I still should finish in TOP3, I consider this moment my "bad ass" moment because I could do it without boosting... B)

1zfndsp.jpg&key=54ddc84c59731f7a32f892c7

Grind of the Year Award goes to:

1Lf03cc9.png

Mugen Souls (PS3)

I have a lot of honorable mentions, like Grid Autosport online trophies (I stacked 250 levels via autoboosting) and Rayman Legends' Awesomeness levels (or even Disgaea 5 for being Disgaea), but I choose this because it was ALMOST THREE YEARS grinding Shampurus for Chou-Chou...

D9wRViR.png&key=012f5945020c3dc743d6d7ea

Best Online Expecience Award goes to:

L2e69b7.png

NASCAR '15 (PS3)

A game which allows you to complete online races SOLO is a bless for platinum hunters... And no lag was found...

Dhoz5zM.png&key=804d736821e44c158cb6509b

Worst Online Experience Award goes to:

Nothing - I didn't play many online games in 2016...

dykjnl.jpg&key=03b9a1b6cd5ffe0148ba40e5a

Sleeper Hit of the Year Award goes to:

Lb8271c.png

NBA 2k17 The Prelude (PS4)

I choose this game because I didn't even noticed about its release - I knew about this game just because someone published a Trophy Guide on PSNProfiles - and before played it, I wanted to play 2k14 and/or 2k16 on my consoles I've already had by PS+ (even both of them being un-platinable). Unfortunatelly I already had plenty of game to play instead... :(

29aqvm8.jpg&key=abb52f906c85a796e08c3edc

The Biggest Bomb of the Year Award goes to:

La36587.png

Actual Sunlight (Vita)

At least I received this game by PS+... (even for trophy hunting this game was boring and annoying...)

2qast4p.jpg&key=91e31c04c1e142ff9681f502

Best Platinum of 2016 Award goes to:

1L68c16d.png

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (PS4)

I love Disgaea series, and this game is the best Disgaea game ever!! No more words...

120s3km.jpg&key=ac92f1d2b8a64a7ff1f1ac01

Za "German Sausage" Plat ov teh Yeer Awôrd gous tú:

1Lb6cf95.png

Wheel of Fortune (2012) (PS3)

OK, it isn't a bad game, and probably it's very fun if played with family and/or friends. I even bought this game in a incredible sale... But it would be a shame if I left this award without a winner... :devil:

• Like 1