PSNP's Year End Awards-2016

Piece of Cake Platinum Award

Has to go to My Name Is Mayo. While there are other candidates where the platinum was basically served to you on a plate, My Name Is Mayo could be one of the first platinums a pet could achieve if trained properly.

Billy Mitchell Award

Defeating the final boss Totenkopf in Wolfenstein: The New Order on highest difficulty with basically 2 life left, even though there was a easier way to defeat him.

Grind of the Year:

Rayman Legends' daily challenges to get the final trophy to platinum. Four months and still going. Playing this game for a couple of minutes every day just to platinum it.

Best Online Experience:

Overwatch: Origins Edition. Hundreds of hours of fun, and game works the way it should. Unlike Battleborn. Speaking of which ...

Worst Online Experience:

Battleborn. Whoever had the brilliant idea of that match-making system should stop working on video games. Also giving a team the ability to quit the game without any penalties just to piss off the opposing team is a no-go. I had to wait ten minutes to get into a lobby, and then when we were half-way to victory, the other team simply dropped, letting us sit in the lobby for another ten minutes. It's a shame cause this is a good game that started on the wrong foot. It is our generation's Brink.

Sleeper Hit Of The Year:

My vote goes to Virginia. Great story, easy platinum (even though you have to play it twice), and I like the Silence of the Lambs vibe (at least the FBI parts). I was almost voting for Stories: Path Of Destinies, but this will be in the IGC in December and hopefully tons of people will play it.

Biggest Bomb of The Year:

No surprise, this has to be No Man's Sky. Boring game, on the edge of being a fraud.

The Best Platinum Of The Year:

PS4's Ratchet & Clank. Easy, fun platinum, that doesn't make this game a chore. I had so much fun playing this game.

The Worst Platinum Of The Year:

While there wasn't a platinum I truly hated, at the bottom of the 2016 barrel I found Barbie & Her Sister's Puppy Rescue, which is borderline insanity, repetitive and somewhat an insult to a gamer's intellect.

• Like 3

As I understand it Levi's sonic spin isn't in the game :huh:?

Really? Well not that kind of spin of course but it looks like Levi kept spinning in those titans all the time lol  xD

He can hit all parts and destroy them in one hit in Attack Mode, with good gear of course.

RNcN8t6.png

Piece of Cake Plat Award

LA COPS: I know it came out a while ago, but I only played it this year and to be honest it was very easy and a nice break from the other grindy games I was playing at the time.

f37v9e.jpg

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD

NBA 2K16: Man that thing was a pain in the ass. Look at the rarity of the plat - 'nuff said!

adnldv.jpg

UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END: Just loved the whole thing, from start to finish. The end left me hanging, wanting more and for the first time ever can't wait to get the DLC for something.

1zfndsp.jpg

NBA 2K15 (PS3): I thought this was worse than 16, just for the sheer fact of going for the 82-0 trophy. Hated it all the way. Took me over a year to complete it.

D9wRViR.png

Best Online Experience

BATTLEFIELD 1: Really enjoyed the online. Actually wanted to keep playing the online mode after getting all the online trophies which is rare for me. Will be looking forward to the DLC for this one too when it arrives.

Dhoz5zM.png

Worst Online Experience

TOM CLANCY'S: THE DIVISION: Was really looking forward to this game but to be honest, as it was "online all the time" it was a real let down. If the server's were getting maintenance, you couldn't play at all. Half the time you would match make with a group and the mission wouldn't start. And don't even start me on the darkzone part....

dykjnl.jpg

L.A NOIRE: Picked it up on sale with the DLC and loved it all. Would highly recommend to someone who hasn't touched it yet. :)

29aqvm8.jpg

FALLOUT 4: Might be a bit rough, but I thought it was very repetitive - I was expecting more. A lot of fans have said 3 is way better (I haven't played 3).

2qast4p.jpg

THE BEST PLATINUM OF 2016

JUST CAUSE 3: I really loved the open world and the destructive nature of the game. I know some canned it because of the 5 gears on challenges but I thought it was a great game all round and really enjoyed the plat!

120s3km.jpg

PROJECT CARS: The one stupid online community events trophy killed this game for me. Took me so long to plat it and couldn't sell it fast enough once it was done.

• Like 1

Piece of Cake Plat Award

1Lede4e5.png

Minecraft: Story Mode

It was between this and Telltale's Game of Thrones this year. Both easy, episodic games with the only hard thing being the wait between episodes (if you go that route) and sometimes the moral choices.

The Billy Mitchell Award

1L2f4b09.png

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

I didn't play any difficult games this year (even Arkham Asylum on PS4 was easy compared to PS3's initial frustrations in Challenge Mode), so it ended up being a choice between Indigo Prophecy and Joe Dever's Lone Wolf Console Edition. Indigo Prophecy won with the Hard difficulty trophy since I tried (and eventually failed in the Oracle fight that has a corresponding trophy) to get through the game without losing any lives and some of those QTEs are quite unforgiving for that xD

Bad Ass Award

L1affc3.png

World of Final Fantasy

Couldn't think of any proper ones (outside of maybe some Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth online wins, Arkham Asylum fights, or something), so I'll just go with the feeling of beating the "you only get one chance at this" optional boss fight during an intervention quest (also, technically beat a specific boss duo too, but they won't die even if they hit 0 health).

Grind of the Year

1Lcd4e46.png

Adventures of Mana

Technically Rogue Galaxy took longer, but I enjoyed Rogue Galaxy more and didn't mind grinding it again (having done it on PS2 before). Never went for level 99 in the original Mystic Quest, so the grind here was new to me. It's not a bad grind and only takes single digit hours to complete, but it's fairly dull to do and I had to slaughter so many elephants that WWF probably hates me right now (although I killed less of them than most due to always grinding a lot while advancing the story slowly, which is why JRPGs rarely feel like a chore for me either).

Best Online Experience

L402917.png

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

It's been a while since I played as little online as I did this year, so I don't have a whole lot of options for the online experiences. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth wins this one hands down though as I enjoyed that experience a lot whether the game paired me up with randoms or the AI opponents. Shame the connection wasn't all that stable when I played though.

Worst Online Experience

Lbbaba3.png

Awesomenauts (PS3)

Didn't really have a bad experience with this either, but it was the "worst" online experience out of the ones I played since I don't like MOBAs all that much and I only play this when my nephew wants us to play it.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

L3706e4.png

The Assembly

This was a tough one to pick too... it was between this, Joe Dever's Lone Wolf Console Edition, and Virginia since these three were the only ones I didn't know exactly what the platinum journey was going to be like (there were other platinum trophies with no guides when I did them, but they were all fairly clear on their trophy requirements and people online had details on the unclear ones unlike here) and I enjoyed all three tremendously. From Lone Wolf's turn-based combat and the "choose your own adventure" choices to Virginia's Twin Peaks/X-Files unvoiced experience, and to The Assembly's VR experience with two playable characters having to deal with moral issues and choices that will change both their lives. The Assembly ended up winning. It was my first VR platinum (and I was the first person to platinum it too apparently) and so far the better of the two similiar VR experiences (The Assembly and Loading Human). I hope to see more like them making it to PlayStation VR.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

L5aaef8.png

Dark Cloud

I don't actually consider this game that bad, but it was the closest choice for the description of this award :P I still don't quite understand why people love Dark Cloud so much, but I've never particularly enjoyed randomly generate dungeons either. It's a pretty good game, but I do feel it is overhyped. From Level-5's other games, I've enjoyed ever single one I've played (including WKC) more. I am looking forward to trying out the sequel at some point though as it seems to be an improvement of sorts.

The Best Platinum of 2016

1L12fd0f.png

Rogue Galaxy

As much as I loved Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth and the similiar World of Final Fantasy, this platinum was the clear winner and is unlikely to be surpassed by anything else this year. I love Rogue Galaxy and I've done all the trophy requirements (and more) before on the PS2. I still did a whole lot more than the platinum requires this time too, so there could have been quite a few extra trophies that this set didn't have :P You can read more of me gushing over this game in my Most Recent Platinum post for it (with some screenshots attached). This is one of the great Level-5 games I really wish had gotten a sequel, but unfortunately it's one of the rare ones that didn't.

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer

NONE

Well, I couldn't do it :P Didn't hate a single game this year and couldn't think of one that would have been the "worst" overall. 2016 was pretty good for me ^^ Maybe I'll buy Toro on sale and plat it before the end of the year just to have an entry here too.

Edited by zadorvp
  • Like 3

Weeb games incoming :awesome:

Piece of Cake:

1S8f546b.png

Sound Shapes

Well, I cross saved Sound Shapes, nothing else can be used =D

The Billy Mitchell Award:

1S829913.png

Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki FC EVOLUTION

The sheer amount of missables, the OP bosses that pretty much cannot be done on Nightmare. All the updates made FC much harder than the original and I was dying much more often. Definitely a deserving :D

Bad Ass Award:

1Sc04665.png

Ro-Ky-Bu Naisho no Shutter Chance

Overall, the whole game. It was pretty much my first Japanese language game I played so I was definitely worried if I could do it. So the whole game is my bad ass moment because it made me confirm that I definitely can play import games without losing context :D

And the biggest one is Tomoka route when I was able to read sentences completely without the help of translator :awesome:

Grind of the Year:

1S1244f2.png

The Askterisk War: Houka Kenran

No doubts here. The sheer amount of pointless reloading I had to do to obtain all skills made this category incredibly obvious. After 20 hours of main game, I spent like 50 hours just on clicking buttons... Seriously, deserving UR xD

Best Online Experience:

1Sdf3308.png

Naruto Shippuuden: UNS 2

As I'm always saying, online sucks and I don't want to touch it with 3.14m pole but this year I actually have 3 Plats with online trophies so I can use these categories. UNS 2 gets the award becuase I found the boosting partner for online wins/matches without even trying :D That alone made it enough pleasant experience :)

Worst Online Experience:

1S3f57a3.png

LOTR: War in the North

The online here is abyssmal, there's only one stupid online trophy that was there just to annoy players. Despite being in a few boosting sessions, it took me 3 of them and the whole day on the last one. Having online trophy that requires precise coordination of players is BS. God bless glitches.

Sleeper Hit of the Year:

1S5c4b05.png

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Another definite one. For some reason, despite getting the game years ago and being a Falcom game, I've been delaying it way too long for some reason. But once I started playing. Oh my god, that was so great. It definitely made me hyped for new Ys game as well :D

Biggest Bomb of the Year:

1S4fe585.png(empty picture) 1Sfdc414.png

Life is Strange + Heavy Rain

I have to mention both because both equally disappointed me. Both being incredibly praised for their stories, I was looking forward to them but... the disappointment was too strong. I described my reasonings on MRP so I won't repeat that but it's saying one thing if I'm putting these two instead of Amnesia here :D

Best Platinum of 2016!

1L33ae3c.png

ZERO TIME DILEMMA

And the most obvious one. My #100, game I've been waiting whole 3 years, series I would give my life for, game I played 2 days straight. My game of the year, my best experience of the year, simply... Zero Escape.

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer:

1S740aa6.png

Hitman GO

Since this is about worst Plat but not the disappointment or bad game itself, I choose this. Simply because the game broke my Vita so much she went to safe mode only for the second time ever. I had to switch to PS4 to finish it. But it has one positive. I know I should never play non-Japanese cross-platform game on Vita ever again.

I googled Internet Trophy and that popped up...I thought it was appropriate ^_^

It definitely is =D

Bad Ass Award

Has to Come from N.E.R.O, i let the picture tell the story 

HrXKJY4.jpg

ROFL :D

• Like 3

Piece of Cake Award

My Name Is Mayo obviously, nothing that needs to be said that hasn't been already

Billy Mitchell Award

Frozen Synapse Prime.  Being a strategy game noob, FSP's campaign was quite hard, especially at the end, which is why it took until 2016 when I did everything else in 2014.

Badass Award

Zombie Army Trilogy, at the end of the Forest of Corpses level, that cable car station siege was maybe the hardest thing in the game, due to the sheer fucktons of zombies, but surviving it by the skin of my teeth was a great feeling.

Biggest Grind Award

Didn't really have much grinding this year so I got nothing.

Best Online Experience

It's a toss up between Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood & Rainbow Six: Siege.  Call of Juarez because the people I was boosting with were great, and that MP may be the shortest MP I've ever done. Rainbow Six because the MP portion (read: 95% of the game) is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.  But if I could only choose one winner, then Rainbow Six wins.

Worst Online Experience

Didn't really have any bad online experiences this year so I got nothing.

Sleeper Hit Award

Furi, wow, just wow.  I got this free off PSplus knowing basically nothing about it, and it was amazing, the gameplay is great, the graphics are great, the soundtrack is great, it's just amazing overall.

Biggest Bomb Award

Every game that I've been interested in has generally pleased me so none this year.

Plat of the Year

Furi, gotta put it on here twice, it's just that good. Aside from being a great game, Furi's plat has hit "Really bloody hard" status, which surprised me, as I didn't think it was that hard. So, not only is it the sleeper hit, but also my first of the "Really bloody hard" plats, which is why it's the PotY.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

I didn't play many bad games this year, but thanks to PSplus I did play Everybody's Gone to the Rapture which I guess would qualify. Firstly I didn't find the story interesting, which was the whole point of the game. Secondly the map is WAY TOO BIG for how slow you move, it's makes going anywhere a chore.

Actually those are my only 2 complaints, but since I didn't plat any other games I didn't like, this'll have to do.

• Like 2

Piece of Cake Award

1L295ac2.png

The Deadly Tower of Monsters

While i did play Tales from the Borderlands and Steins:Gate this year which were both easier technically speaking, the stupidly small time investment this game asks of you for a platinum is unrivaled.

Did it all in 5 hours, lunch break included.

Billy Mitchell Award

1L12f9a7.png

Furi

It feels weird to put this game here considering it only took me roughly a week to complete. While i feel the difficulty is kind of overrated and it really should not be as rare as it is it was probably still the hardest thing i remember doing this year. I'm hoping to complete Blazblue CPEX before the year ends in which case that game would take its place here.

Bad Ass Award

2L0a88db.png

Completing Dark Souls at SL1

I'm usually not the type to do any kind of self-imposed challenge runs for video games, but playing through Dark Souls without levelling up was a really enjoyable experience. It really brings back the feeling of accomplishment i remember from playing it for the very first time.

Grind of the Year

1L2ea483.png

Helldivers

Yeah that 100k kill trophy was really unnecessary.

Best Online Experience

1L97bc8f.png

Overwatch

Probably my most played game overall this year. Good stuff to Blizzard for adding new content every time when the game's just about to get stale.

Worst Online Experience

1Laf8bb3.png

Dark Souls 3

Had to think hard about this one. But when i remember having to farm drops for hours upon hours because half the covenants just wouldn't bloody work at all it becomes pretty clear. Shame because when i actually did manage to invade people it was always a lot of fun.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

1L7dde26.png

Hatoful Boyfriend

I actually unironically really enjoyed this game more than any VN i've played so far.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Don't have one to be quite honest. Guess i have the unique talent to predict disappointing games or something.

Best Platinum of 2016

1Lb75236.png

Yakuza 4

Getting into the Yakuza series was probably the best idea i had all year long. Can't wait to play 0 next year and 6 next century.

Wurst plat ov teh year

1L7f7c31.png

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

This game is a perfect example of poorly designed trophies. Ignoring my overall feelings on the walking sim genre as a whole, the annoying crashes (which can lock you out of some trophies) and the infamously slow walking speed, this game has got to have the lamest trophies i've ever seen.

There's a total of 18 trophies, out of which

-9 are based around collectibles

-6 require you to do absolutely nothing for extended periods of time at several locations in the game

When a game forces you to actually drop your controller on the floor and not play the game for 5 minutes it has failed as a game imo.

• Like 2

]Sleeper Hit:Mirror's Edge! Not only did it catch me by surprise but it became my favourite game and I'm not exaggerating! I played the crap out of it and still do despite 100%ing it. My personal GOTY. The saboteur, Remember me, and Alice madness returns did come close though..

Did you copy my quote? :o

Sleeper Hit:

Mirror's Edge! Not only did it catch me by surprise but it became my favourite game and I'm not exaggerating! I played the crap out of it and still do despite 100%ing it. My personal GOTY. The saboteur, Remember me, and Alice madness returns did come close though.

Edited by poopooblast

Piece of Cake Plat Award

LEGO MARVEL's Avengers. The expected game by  TT. If I take a day off for this, I should be able to complete it in a day.

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD

Kancolle Kai. This is the first time since Dynasty Warriors NEXT when I started to think I couldn't make it to platinum. The RNG and stupid random crash in this game makes me want to throw the vita out of window serveal times

BADASS AWARD

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X - Ultimate Exquisite Rampage (Extreme). Felt like my fingers were burning when playing this track and (Finally) pass this one.

GRIND OF THE YEAR

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart. Take me so long that the game is playing over 2015 & 16 lol. The grinds for Lily Ranks is so sleepy :facepalm:

Best Online Experience

Worst Online Experience

I don't have real online play at PS this year so I have nothing to say here.

Sleeper Hit

Grim Fandango Remastered. The remastered game originally from 1998. Decided to give a try after watching a youtuber gameplay.

Biggest bomb

GUNDAM BREAKER 3 . Been playing BREAKER 1 and 2 and thought this should be at least good. While the customization has improved, the balance and design in this game (At least, before a number of patches is out) is total failure - Enemy elites takes forever to take out, repeat use of a few scenes over and over again,and DLCs costs almost as much as the base game itself.

Kancolle Kai. I think I understand how this franchise take so much fandom from Touhou Project and Vocaloid.

THE WORST PLATINUM OF 2016

GUNDAM BREAKER 3. With it so terrible, its almost certain I will never get 100%.

• Like 1

Piece of Cake:

The Lego Movie Game (could have also put TWDS2)

Billy Mitchel:

I played a lot of hard PSN games, not many Plat games. Resogun had my number for a while.  I would put Olliolli2, but I dont have the plat, and I don't expect I will.

Grind:

Batman Blackgate was pretty awful.  It is a grind because you have to play the same trash  game 3 times with a painfully wretched map. Total garbage.

Sleeper:

N4SMW.  I don't like racing games but I enjoyed this one.

Bomb:

I thoroughly hated Ratchet and Clank.  I couldn't understand why people love it so much.  I was fuming right up till the plat.  2 was much better though.

Best:

Dishonored.  It felt a little too much like Bioshock, but still enjoyed it.

Worst:

Let's Fish!  What crap!  I hate this game! I deeply regret getting/playing this game.  Don't even think about picking it up!  Agghhhh!

Edited by dmsleight
  • Like 1

Piece of Cake award:

My Name is Mayo

Just hit X button :)

Billy Mitchell award:

Medal of Honor Warfighter

Online trophies was nightmare for me.

Badass award:

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

Best game i've ever played.

Grind of the year:

Call of Duty Black Ops III

After 120 hours i got the platinum.

Best online experience:

Battlefield 1

Man i loved it. Amazing graphics and gameplay . Still i'm playing.

Worst online experience:

The Division

For me. I don't love this game.

Biggest bomb of the year:

Uncharted 4

Game of the Year for me.

Best platinum of the year:

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

Worst platinum of the year:

Orc Slayer

Worst game i've ever played. So stupid.

I have been enjoying the responses so far :D It is funny when one person will put a game as their favourite and then someone else will put it as their WURST.

Also when I read ee28max's and he said that Mindjack was the best Online Experience I was like "I thought that game was supposed to be terrible" until I kept reading and it won every Bad Award after that ^_^

Keep them coming everyone...need more of my Star Ocean buddies to help push that game into GRIND OF THE YEAR

​Piece of Cake Plat Award

1L0f2b9f.png

​ The obvious choice this year. Just click X 10,000 times and you have your plat. 1 hour of my life I'll never have again.

​The Billy Mitchel Award.

1L8c19d0.png

​I haven't played a lot of difficult games this year so this is the closest I can get. Even though this is probably one of the easier ones in the series.

​Bad Ass Award

​Getting the Throttled Escape Trophy in COD Ghost to earn my platinum.

​Grind of the Year goes to

​Overlord: FOE

The grinding for several trophies was really a bore fest.

​Best Online experience for me this year.

​COD Ghost. When I went back to it this year to clean up for the plat I needed a lot of the extinction trophies and I must say I really enjoyed it and like it better than zombies.

​Worst Online

​Overlord FOE

​There are only a few mp trophies but trying to connect with friends to play was such a head ache. It took several tries to accomplish a simple task.

​Sleeper Hit.

​I have a few I could choose from. I am going to go with Day of the Tentacle

1Lf4cd41.png

​I had heard good things about it but was unsure what to expect from it. I got it on a flash sale and must say I was very pleased with it. The story and humor were very interesting. I highly recommend it.

​Bomb of the year!

​I can't say I spent 60 dollars on a game and thought it was a bomb but I bought some cheaper games and thought they were a bomb and my award is going to.

​ALBEDO: Eyes From Outer Space.

​I questioned myself why am I playing this atrocious piece of crap.

:platinum: of the Year.

​Again I have a few that would qualify for this but I am going to go with.

1L9bedf6.png

​Metro 2033 Redux

​I loved everything about Metro 2033. I wanted something different in FPS and it delivered. I enjoyed the story, the stealth parts and the action parts. The trophy list was perfect in my opinion.

​Worst Platinum of the year!

​The Honor goes to.

1L0a80f0.png

​This has to be the worst platinum in my whole collection, not just this year. How bad it is  really not even worth writing about. It was very boring and repetitive all the way through. Good thing it can be done in one play through. If it required multiple times through I would not have bothered.

​Closing thoughts. Even though there is still a month left I don't think I would change anything about what I have put here. It has been a mixed bag for me this year and it seems I have played more of the smaller games this year. I still had fun and hope that 2017 is a remarkable year. I will try to avoid the Orc Slayers and ALBEDO's that may come out next year. Until then, enjoy the rest of 2016.

• Like 2

Piece of Cake Plat Award:

1L67cb17.png

Winner: Heavy Fire Afghanistan

Not quite in the same category as "My Name is Mayo" when it comes to cheap and easy plats, but not much harder either. HFA is an on-rails shooter so basically all you have to do for the plat is aim and shoot. Had around $1 left on a card so I picked this up for around $0.90 in a flash sale. Being an easy plat at that price was the best thing about the game. Oh yeah, did I mention that you can kill every single enemy with 1 shot regardless of the weapon you are using? You can upgrade weapons but what's the point when everything goes down in one shot?  :dunno:

The Billy Mitchell Award:

1L9d5f74.png

Winner: Catherine

This game joins Max Payne 3 as my proudest plats so far. Some of the bosses on Hard were a pain in the ass but just thinking about Babel still sends shivers up my back. Those stages are truly things of nightmares. I was on the verge of giving up several times and Babel (Axis Mundi in particular) nearly broke my will. I had planned on making Catherine my #100 platinum but I reached the point where I was looking through my backlog and strongly considering what game I would choose to replace it for the big milestone. Luckily, I received some great tips and words of encouragement from people in the "Let's Play Catherine" event. Thanks to you all for giving me the motivation to keep going!

I probably played Axis Mundi for several hours a day for several days and failed every single time. Even on my successful run, there was a point that I thought I was stuck and had failed like every other attempt. Out of frustration, I just randomly pushed a block to blow off some anger before restarting once again. To my surprise, it was like days of constant rain suddenly stopped, the skies opened up, and the gaming gods smiled down upon me. Out of nowhere, a few blocks fell into place and formed a heavenly set of stairs to the next level. Moments later I heard the sweet sound of the bell chiming which marks the end of the level. After a few more steps I had finally reached the pinnacle of Babel and claimed my #100 platinum.  :awesome:

Bad Ass Award

L86eeaa.png

Winner: Shadow of the Colossus (HTA #3)

Completing Babel in Catherine could have won this award but I wanted to avoid having the same game win multiple awards. Plus, slaying a Colossus sounds more bad ass than climbing a tower of blocks while being chased by sheep, right? While Catherine was more demoralizing, HTA #3 in Shadow of the Colossus was more frustrating and just a pain. I even resorted to the strategy of bitching and complaining about it in a status update. Amazing how that works every single time. A few tries later and that bastard finally met his demise. I might have looked like an ant crawling around on the massive creature, but I was a bad ass ant. I used the sword jump trick to go flying through the air and land on the colossus and then started hacking away at his weak points. That final slow-mo killing blow was glorious as I slayed the beast with a whole 6 seconds to spare. After beating that challenge there was a victorious fist pump and there may or may not have been a Crash Bandicoot style celebration dance.   B)

Grind of the Year

1L34573a.png

Winner: Grid Autosport

WARNING: Foul language and ranting follows so if either of those things bother you, just skip this award and move on to the next. Anyways...

Fuck Grid Autosport. Fuck Codemasters. Fuck the entire simcade racing genre. Fuck whoever created the trophy list for this game. Fuck that person's parents for creating and giving birth to them. Fuck whoever selected it to be a PS+ game. Fuck their parents too. Fuck me for actually enduring this torture and finishing off the plat for this damn game.

I say all that half-joking and I'm actually a nice guy so I would never wish for someone to lose their job or suffer a painful death. However, I wouldn't mind if everyone associated with this game took jobs in other fields and stayed away from the gaming world for the rest of time. Why so much hate for this game and why was it the obvious choice for "Grind of the Year"? Well, there is an online trophy for reaching level 250 in multiplayer. That's not a typo. That's 2-5-0. Add in the fact that you get a minuscule amount of XP per race and this becomes one of the most boring grinds I've ever done. Basically, boosting ranks goes like this: Spend a few minutes setting up an event. Win a race on a boring oval course that takes less than a minute. Sit in the menus and loading screens for minutes in between each race. Let your boosting partner win a race. Sit in menus again. Repeat for eternity. Even with boosting, the grind will take 100-150+ hours and each minute is mind-numbingly boring. If you try doing this legit, it would probably take the rest of your life. Then again, that might be shorter than you think since you'll probably decide to kill yourself to avoid the repetitive boredom any longer.

Best Online Experience

1L2ea483.png

Winner: Helldivers

Another easy award where the winner was an obvious choice for me. Normally not a fan of multiplayer games but I ended up loving Helldivers. Like most online games, the experience and amount of fun to be had varies quite a bit based on whether you have a good group of teammates or not. The pace slowed down and could get frustrating when I got stuck with some annoying players who wanted to do their own thing. However, the game was an absolute blast when playing with a focused team or friends. Thanks to Hemiak for helping me out with some of the trophies and being a good teammate. Sorry again for that grenade to the face.  :P

Worst Online Experience:

L354b30.png

Winner: Grid Autosport

Did you read my "Grind of the Year" award? Yeah I'm not repeating myself and think I covered why this game is the worst online experience in the earlier description. I tried not having the same game win multiple awards but the hell known as the online in Grid Autosport deserves that honor.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

1Lb20c12.png

Winner: Strider

This was the hardest award for me to pick and I didn't have any great choices. Last year, I had the perfect candidate because I literally stumbled upon 3D Dot Game Heroes (and got it free!) and it turned out to be one of my favorite PS3 games. This year, nothing like that stood out to me. Thought about going with a game that exceeded my expectations like Deus Ex: Human Revolution but that's a very popular franchise that I just overlooked so didn't feel like it was in the spirit of the award. Instead, I'll choose to go with Strider. I got this game as part of the Humble Bundle which I bought mainly for the Resident Evil remasters and Devil May Cry trilogy. Getting Strider was just a bonus and a throw-in game for me. To be honest, I didn't even know this game existed until earlier in the year. Wouldn't say it's great but turned out to be a solid Metroidvania game and I'm a fan of the genre so I had fun with it.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

1L183f89.png

Winner: Ratchet & Clank All 4 One

There wasn't much competition for this award so R&C All 4 One won this category easily. I love the Ratchet & Clank franchise and have all the plats except the new game which I just bought and plan on playing soon. Unfortunately, A4O is definitely my least favorite game in the series. The whole game was just a bore and not fun at all. One of those games where I just wanted it to be over with. Can we just pretend that this black sheep of R&C games never existed? 

1Le3920c.png

Winner: Shovel Knight

This was by far my favorite platinum of 2016. I loved every second of the game and can't get enough of it. I've said it many times but platformers are my favorite genre and some of my favorite memories come from playing them as a kid so I was the ideal audience for Shovel Knight. This game is basically a tribute to the genre and lovingly borrows from the classics. The bosses remind me of a Mega Man game, the Shovel Drop move is ripped straight out of DuckTales, and so on. Sometimes with these projects, developers tend to rely too much on nostalgia and not focus enough on the actual game. Fortunately, Shovel Knight is worthy of the classics it evokes but still keeps it fresh, modern, and fun the entire time. As for trophies, they are the perfect mix of challenging at times but not annoying to the point where they distract from the joy of the game. I really can't think of anything I didn't like about Shovel Knight.  <3

Did I mention that the developers are still making free DLC for the game? They just released the trailer for "Specter of Torment" at that inferior award show known as the VGA's. Reminds me that I still need to go back and work on "Plague of Shadows" sometime soon.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

1L98f4cc.png

Winner: Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD

After seeing my hate for Grid Autosport in earlier awards, you might be thinking that it would win this bad boy as well. It was definitely worthy of the award but I've decided to give some love to the piece of shit known as Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. This game looks like a turd and plays like a turd. Hell, playing with actual turds might be more fun than this game. My love for cute platformers is near fanboy status so it really pains me to say that this game just sucks. It fits the definition of this award perfectly because I kept thinking to myself "why the fuck am I still playing this piece of shit."  :hmm:

Where to begin with what's wrong with Munch's Oddysee? Let's start with how Munch is probably the most boring character to play as in a platform game I've ever seen. He's an amphibious creature who is naturally better suited for water than land. In most levels, Munch hops around on one foot when on land and moves so damn slow. Seriously, imagine playing a 3D platformer at the pace of a walking simulator. Actually, there are probably walking simulators that are faster paced than Munch on land. I feel like the developers might have realized this and maybe that's why they put a wheelchair in certain levels to make getting around easier and less of a pain. Unfortunately, there's a trophy for not using the wheelchair at all in a playthrough so you're going to have to play without it anyways. That might have been alright if not using the wheelchair added some kind of challenge but that's not the case at all. Just made it much slower and boring. While playing this game for another event, I described the combat as standing in your LittleBigPlanet pod and just slapping other players. That's about how it feels and the same amount of fun.  :(

To get the plat you will have to fight the boredom for 2 full playthroughs and some extra grinding. Oh yeah, don't forget about the glitched trophies. Luckily, the game has been patched somewhat but a few of the trophies are still a mess. The "I Regrow Nothing" trophy glitched on me but I just had to delete the patch and replay the final level. Something about playing the unpatched game with a patched save or something? My feelings on this game are the complete opposite of Shovel Knight. I honestly can't think of a single thing I liked about the game. Well, it does have some of the easiest UR trophies so there's that. Guess most people got bored and quit or had trophies glitch on them and didn't bother going back to the game once it was patched.  :dunno:
Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 1

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

1L98f4cc.png

Winner: Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD

After seeing my hate for Grid Autosport in earlier awards, you might be thinking that it would win this bad boy as well. It was definitely worthy of the award but I've decided to give some love to the piece of shit known as Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. This game looks like a turd and plays like a turd. Hell, playing with actual turds might be more fun than this game. My love for cute platformers is near fanboy status so it really pains me to say that this game just sucks. It fits the definition of this award perfectly because I kept thinking to myself "why the fuck am I still playing this piece of shit."  :hmm:

Where to begin with what's wrong with Munch's Oddysee? Let's start with how Munch is probably the most boring character to play as in a platform game I've ever seen. He's an amphibious creature who is naturally better suited for water than land. In most levels, Munch hops around on one foot when on land and moves so damn slow. Seriously, imagine playing a 3D platformer at the pace of a walking simulator. Actually, there are probably walking simulators that are faster paced than Munch on land. I feel like the developers might have realized this and maybe that's why they put a wheelchair in certain levels to make getting around easier and less of a pain. Unfortunately, there's a trophy for not using the wheelchair at all in a playthrough so you're going to have to play without it anyways. That might have been alright if not using the wheelchair added some kind of challenge but that's not the case at all. Just made it much slower and boring. While playing this game for another event, I described the combat as standing in your LittleBigPlanet pod and just slapping other players. That's about how it feels and the same amount of fun.  :(

To get the plat you will have to fight the boredom for 2 full playthroughs and some extra grinding. Oh yeah, don't forget about the glitched trophies. Luckily, the game has been patched somewhat but a few of the trophies are still a mess. The "I Regrow Nothing" trophy glitched on me but I just had to delete the patch and replay the final level. Something about playing the unpatched game with a patched save or something? My feelings on this game are the complete opposite of Shovel Knight. I honestly can't think of a single thing I liked about the game. Well, it does have some of the easiest UR trophies so there's that. Guess most people got bored and quit or had trophies glitch on them and didn't bother going back to the game once it was patched.  :dunno:

Can't agree more. This game was simply just awful. Also yes it is Ultra Rare because it was free on Plus but the Regrow trophy was glitched so most people said "fuck it".

• Like 1

This is the first time I enter the PSNP Year End Awards. Since the description sais: "These are not necessarily games that came out this year but they are games you Platted this year.", I shall only name the games that have a Platinum trophy, since I also have a few PSN games with 100%, but no Platinum trophy. Also, since this PSN ID was made in 2016, I don't have a lot to choose from. 2017 will be more accurate, lol.

PIECE OF CAKE PLAT AWARD

Game of Thrones.

As with any Telltale game, just play through the story and the Platinum trophy is yours. Things almost can't get any easier. 

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD

Need for Speed.

When playing this game, my controller actually really hit the wall. The "G" on the keyboard of my laptop is fucked up because of this game. I was getting frustrated so many times my neighbours even came over to ask if i was allright because they heard me yelling a lot. No joke, I even spotted a grey hair after I was done with this game, I'm 25 years old ffs. Trophywise the game is pretty easy, but it's the "always online" part of the game that made things hard for me. Other online players who crash into you during a race, wich made me lose most of the races and restart more times than any counter can count. When I got this Platinum trophy, I didn't even bother playing the DLC. 

BAD ASS AWARD

Need for Speed, that moment when I won the last race of the game, wich gave me the platinum trophy. Because I'm a pro and I drive like a boss.

GRIND OF THE YEAR

Beyond: Two Souls.

The "see all endings" trophy. I actually was getting bored when playing chapters over and over again for that trophy. Heavy Rain also had such a trophy, but in Beyond: Two Souls, it felt more like a grind. 

BEST ONLINE EXPERIENCE

Need for Speed.

The only online experience I had this year since it's an "always online" game. Wich makes my worst experience ever the best one in this topic, lol. 

WORST ONLINE EXPERIENCE

Need for Speed.

Do I need to say more? 

SLEEPER HIT OF THE YEAR

The Godfather II. 

I actually enjoyed playing it; although I don't really like the movies.

BIGGEST BOMB OF THE YEAR

Goosebumps: The Game. 

I don't even know why I played this. Or why I bought this in the first place. I didn't enjoy it at all, lol. 

The Order: 1886

I really like the story, the setting, the gameplay, the time when it's happening, .. Yeah, I had the most fun time playing this game.

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEAR

Need for Speed.

Piece of Cake:

Sde6dd7.png

Snoopy's grand adventure

My name is mayo is obviously easier, but this was easy and fun.

Billy Michell:

S3a48f9.png

Of Orcs and Men

Bloodjaw difficulty is really hard and you have to have a very specific build to make it work, and even then you need a bit of luck.

Bad Ass Award:

.S117b9e.png

Final Fantasy XIII

A few of the Cie'th stone missions came down to the wire, and I felt really good finishing a few of them within the time limit.

Grind of the Year:

S4ac456.png

Dynasty Warriors 8

Every level on Chaos, every weapon, and the worst part was grinding out the max bonds for every character not once but twice.

I didn't play online this year so I'll skip those two.

Sleeper Hit:

S648d94.png

Eiyuu Senki

I bought this on a flash sale and wasn't really sure what to expect. The fan service and whatever else aside, it has a very addicting "one more turn" game play.

Biggest Bomb:

S7dbb42.png

Arcania

I played a bunch of mid level action RPGs early this year and this one was the worst.  I enjoyed Risen 2 and 3, but this game didn't have any of those games charms.  Muddy graphics, poor fast travel, glitchy quests, and a terrible story.

Best plat of the year:

S77048b.png

Akiba's trip

This was my first plat this year and looking back probably my favorite as well.  Multiple play throughs on multiple difficulties, a bunch of collectibles, and it never felt like a grind or a chore.

Worst of the year:

S8651e4.png

Fairy Fencer F

I liked the game, but where Akiba never felt like a grind this felt like nothing but. Money, levels, weapons, all of it got extremely tedious by the time I was ready to put it down.

• Like 1

I don't have a very good list to put up there but I made one anyway. :P

Piece of Cake Plat Award:
The First Avenger from Captain America Super Soldier. No difficulty trophies so you can breeze through it on Easy. Pretty linear as well so you can't really get lost.

Billy Mitchell Award:
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. I know it's not exactly the toughest game around, but there are a select few parts that basically make or break the game for some people. I nearly quit at the Ice Cream Beat mini-game simply because the game forces you to play it once for each character. Even the post-game bosses weren't as hard as this minigame for me. 
This, if possible, is now going to Assassin's Creed Revelations for the PS4. Now, I tried to Impress Warren Vidic for many hours on the ps3. I'd say an easy 20 hours across the multiple days I tried. Combine that with the 5 or so hours spent trying on the PS4 and you have something that blows KH: BBS out of the water for me for difficulty. (I actually almost threw my controller at my brother's head while he was sleeping because I forgot he was at home instead of work.)

Badass Award:
Rogue Galaxy. Becoming the S-Rank Insectron Champion. It was close on the last match and winning made me feel like some sort of pokemon chess hybrid badass lol.

Grind of the Year:
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes. This game took me a little over 300 hours to finish...and if you've played Musou styled hack n slash games before you know how repetitive they can be. 

Best Online Experience:
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North. It was the only type of online I played this year and it went relatively smooth for the few minutes I played.

Worst Online Experience

Sleeper Hit of the Year:
The Saboteur. Most definitely a game I didn't expect to enjoy but it played incredibly well especially the vehicle segments. 
A close second would have been Risen 2: Dark Waters. Despite being hailed as a shitty game I actually enjoyed it very much.

Biggest Bomb of the Year:
Most definitely Asura's Wrath. I felt this game sucked in every single area except the graphics and even then it took some time for them to smooth out after a scene loaded.

Best Platinum of 2016:
Metro 2033 Redux. I didn't expect this game to become one of my favorites but going for the plat was just an all around nice experience.

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer:
Double nomination with Asura's Wrath. I just...I absolutely hated this game and it's maybe 1 out of 3 games I did simply because I knew I could once one of the gauges become available to use.

I have edited this post to make my nomination for Billy Mitchell, Assassin's Creed Revelations for the PS4. If it's not allowed let me know and I'll just un-strike (is that a thing? lol) my KH: BBS lines.

So, this is my first time giving out awards to my games and I don't really get the time to plat that many. That's why I'm just gonna include a plat that has been earned on the 31st of December last year, as well as one or the other platless game that I finished. I hope that's gonna be alright. :)

Piece of Cake Plat Award

1Lc42e03.png

Top of the Heap - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

This is the first and only trophy that I actually earned twice. This was one of my favorite games when I was smaller and I still know the whole game by heart.

Despite having to play through half of the game again because the trophy for a missable minigame required use of the Vita touchscreen instead of the usual controls,

this was still really easy and enjoyable.

The Billy Mitchell Award

1L4a1ba1.png

Rune Factory Master - Rune Factory Oceans

Picking a game for this award was pretty hard, probably even harder than my nomination. :D

I guess it's mostly because I didn't play that many hard games and I've got things that might have been a little harder than this, which fit way better in other categories.

Anyways, the hard part about this Plat is the second Arena challenge. You basically get to fight waves of monsters followed by every boss in the game as well as a special boss that's exclusive to the event.

That last boss was pretty difficult to beat but I got the kill on my second try with good to mediocre preparation.

Bad Ass Award

1Ldb02bc.png

Hero of the Shadow Sector - Ratchet: Deadlocked

This isn't really a specific moment but this game makes you feel badass in general.

You go visit different planets fighting your way through deadly courses in an illegal TV show, fighting off endless waves of enemies.

To fight them off you have the biggest arsenal of overly destructive weapons of mass destruction you will ever lay your eyes upon.

The Ratchet and Clank series, and this game in particular, is the pure definition of badass. :D

Grind of the Year

1L21a701.png

Completion - Final Fantasy X HD

There's also a surprisingly large amount of candidates for this award in my selection.

I've chosen FFX not because of the length, I've chosen it because it has the most annoying grinds.

These grinds even beat the seamingly infinite heroine affection grind of SAO -HF-.

To complete the sphere board with every single character you've got quite a bit of leveling to do. That means about 60 hours of running in circles,

one-hitting every enemy that appears, and repeating that process a lot. And by that I mean A LOT.

Then there's another grindy trophy that requires you to play blitzball, which is kinda like playing turn based FIFA.

The few hours spent on that were even more boring than the leveling, especially because there's a lame little tactic to win matches,

which has you stalling for the timer to run out after scoring a goal. That way I spent 5 minutes doing nothing while waiting behind my goalie in every game. 

Best Online Experience

10L95c3c2.png

Companion - Journey

Now, this is one of the games without a plat that I had to use because I just didn't have enough plats this year.

Nonetheless this game is still the best pick I have out of all the games I played this year.

I had a lot of fun with the way the game always assigns you a partner that's currently close to the part of the game you're in. 

While I was trying to get this trophy, my partner fell down a hole near the end of the game and I didn't find him again, so I proceeded towards the end of the game.

I didn't really know if he was further ahead or further back and I was already feeling bad because I thought I'd lost the guy and would have to do the trophy again.

When I got to the point of no return before the end of the game, I sat down and waited for 10 minutes and finally found the same guy again, who caught up to me. 

I was genuinely happy to see him again, and this game really just made me feel like I found a companion I lost along the way of a long journey.

Other than that, it was still really fun to get someone to sit down with you. There's no way to chat in the game but there's a little ability that makes you emit glowing sparks.

It took me like 4 times of rapidly pressing the glow button like a mad man and then sitting down in front of him to make my partner sit down with me. :D

Worst Online Experience

12L03757e.png

Here for the long ride - Mad Riders

Another game that has no plat. I've earned all trophies except for the 3 DLC trophies, which I didn't feel like paying for.

That's 100% in my book. :)

Honestly, the only reason this game gets this award is because I didn't play that many online games.

If you've got a friend to play it with it's actually really fun and just a tad annoying because the settings for creating online sessions aren't that great.

The main gripe I've had with this is the fact that the servers are pretty much dead and even PS+ didn't really change that.

When my friend didn't want to play anymore I spent another 4 hours grinding the rest of the levels, of which 2 hours were just time spent finding games with hosts that didn't just kick me out.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

1L1bda41.png

South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ Platinum Trophy - South Park: The Stick of Truth

I got this off a sort-of giveaway thing over in the Song Vote thread and I thought, yeah South Park sounds nice, can't go wrong with that.

A month later I started up the game and had a great time earning the plat.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

1L5400a5.png

Thank You - Actual Sunlight

This is another far stretch as I got it for free from PS+ and I didn't think it was all that bad. Another game without a plat.

To describe the game, you basically have to read the thoughts of a depressed man for 3 hours while interacting with different objects around said man.

About 90% of the time playing the game is spent looking at white text on a black background. All of the trophies were also pretty easy to achieve.

The reason this game get's the bomb award is that I actually had pretty high hopes for the game when I read the description but was disappointed about the way the game turned out to be.

1Leaf3a5.png

Collect all trophies - Sword Art Online -Hollow Fragment-

While this game might as well be on my longest grind list in terms of time but what makes this game unique is that most of the grind was actually fun.

Of the 168 hours it took me to plat this 120 were really fun and it's rare to find a grindy game that keeps me entertained that long.

Also, the time that wasn't as fun was still mostly tolerable except for a few hours.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

I've got nothing for this award. If I don't like a game and I feel like it's not worth my time, I'm not gonna earn every trophy the game has to offer.

I may be a completionist at heart but I'm not gonna waste my time playing games I don't like.

The only thing that I'd like to mention is that I'd totally put the plat of Ratchet and Clank 2 here if I'm ever gonna earn that.

I spent way too long trying to get those god damn races for the platinum bolts but the space ship controls on the Vita are so overly sensitive that I just can't manage to complete even the first of the races.

I just gave up on it a few months after I got into Sony consoles again. Now that I'm starting to get into trophy hunting, it really annoys the hell out of me that I just can't manage to beat these damn challenges...

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 1

Piece of Cake Plat Award

1L59f7bc.png

Sorcery Saga

Probably the easiest game I've ever played. I like some sort of challenge in my games, whether it's an aggravating super boss or a meaningful grind to test my patience (while this game is nothing but a grind, the grind itself is pointless, as you're not any stronger from before you start the grind), but this game lacks any sort of difficulty. The game holds your hand so hard that it's pretty much a death grip. By the time you're done with the tutorial, you'll be able to take on the main storyline with no problem. After the first two dungeons, you'll be stronger than the boss at the end of the post-game.

Billy Mitchell Award

1L1c5330.png

Tricky Towers

I didn't play anything I'd consider difficult this year, so Tricky Towers didn't have any competition. The hardest part of this game was making the 99+ towers without losing a life in Mission 50 and in endless mode. To make the 100% more fun, they added free DLC that included making a third 99+ block tower in another mode. It took a lot of skill and cursing to complete this, but it was oh so satisfying.

Bad Ass Award

L6c60c6.png

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

While I've only completed one playthrough on an easy difficulty, completing the playthrough with minimal deaths felt good. I've got four more playthroughs to do, on real difficulties too, so this game'll probably make another appearance next year.

Grind of the Year

Laf852f.png

Mugen Souls

While I still haven't gotten the platinum for this game, there's definitely no competition for this award. My save file is sitting at 380 hours, and I'm not even 75% there according to the Shampuru numbers. If life and Square Enix didn't get in the way, I'd be showing off the platinum, but alas, I had to save the last 300k Shampuru for 2017. After that, I get to start SO4 to fill up any free time, haha.

Best Online Experience

Lfca89a.png

Tricky Towers

It's pretty fun destroying people from the skills I picked up during the platinum, although when I played some more after the DLC update, I got beat by some pretty good players. It's still lots of fun to play with people, although my local co-op had to stop when my friends got tired of losing to me.

Worst Online Experience

L402917.png

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

The online was very unstable when I was playing, which was near release. On top of it being unstable, it was pretty empty and pretty much every player used the same 3 digimon. Luckily, they had the forethought of having AI teams to face against when the servers empty. However, those AI teams have overpowered Digimon with completely padded stats that are unfair. Not fun. Aside from the bad multiplayer, the game was great.

Sleeper Hit

L6ddda0.png

Siralim

I got this game on sale for $2, and while it does have its flaws, it was a lot of fun that doesn't have a lot of players. The game's getting its sequel ported to PS4 somewhat soon, and a lot of its flaws are fixed in it, so I'm excited.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

L3a02de.png

Sorcery Saga

Just don't bother with this trash.

Best Platinum of the Year

1Lf6fe87.png

Disgaea 3 (Vita)

While it's the worst game in the series, it's still such a great game in a great series. It's the second time I've platinumed the game, so you know I enjoyed it. Eventually I'll platinum all of the English versions of the Disgaea series, and then I'll move onto the Japanese versions. I'm crazy; I know.

Wurst Platinum of the Year

1L59f7bc.png

Surprise, Sorcery Saga returns

This game was bad enough to show up for all of the negative awards. Even if I had the time to play and finish everything I wanted to, I doubt anything would have replaced Sorcery Saga. It was just that bad. I've vented about this game enough to anyone that would've listened,so  I don't have anything else to say. 

Hoping I have more free time to have a more diverse award list next year, but we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1