Your Fondest Video Game Memory

Xel

>me in 07/08
>friday after school
>it's not the only pleasure I get this day ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
>me playing Tony Hawk American Wasteland on PS3

>drinking some Powerade with few friends of mine 
>listening to Korn's most recent album or SOAD
>not care bout a damn world

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 1

Wasn't aware a thread like this had already been made a few years ago. Feels weird seeing it merged, was kinda confused for a second there, lol.

4 hours ago, Copanele said:

Got a funny fond story, one of the few "reasons why I love videogames" moment.

This was happening in 2003 or such. While going to the local car marketplace/dealership/place where people come and sell their cars with my dad in order to search and buy a new car, some dude was selling random stuff from his house. Audio systems, cables, a lawnmower, lots of things. Among all that there was one CD sitting there, super cheap, the equivalent of $1 I believe, with Jedi Outcast II Demo on it. Dad bought it for me, not expecting for it to work at all.

Well...to my surprise the CD worked like a charm. The Jedi Outcast Demo was only one small level where you had to kill Stormtroopers, do some light platforming and it ended up with a lightsaber duel against a Jedi Reborn. I played the demo so many times to the point where I was doing speedruns on Jedi Master difficulty. Jedi Knight series kinda has the best lightsaber combat too, so I was discovering new moves like wall running, flipping and force pushing/pulling. You can imagine how impressed my 11 years old ass was xD .

The best part is...last week while visiting my parents I actually found the CD in the attic (never leave your parents sort out your videogames). Got it with me, popped it in and... it still works, believe it or not!

MYoWMvd.jpg

0JJPNCR.jpg

You'll have to excuse the Romanian though xD bottom line, this little demo is quite the precious memory from Ancient Gaming Times.

I have a few fond memories of demo discs. I seem to recall playing the first level in Tomb Raider 2 over and over on a demo disc before I eventually got the full game on PS1. Now a lot of my memories of that game are trying to figure out how to climb the cliffs without falling in that beginning section with the tiger.

I sometimes miss demo discs since they often got me to try out games I normally never would, and I actually found a few gems as a result. I don't usually care to download demos nowadays, I'll just look up gameplay and reviews for something instead. I think the last demo I played was Silent Hill Book of Memories on the Vita, since I wanted to confirm for myself the game wasn't for me, even after reading about it. Sadly, it was indeed not what I wanted in a Silent Hill game, so I never bought the full game. Still lamenting there not being a new, decent Silent Hill game nearly a decade later.

• Like 1

Two stand out:

-Sharing a controller (we literally held the same controller simultaneously) with my older brother, to play through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I played as the younger brother, of course; it was one of the most powerfully emotional experiences I've ever had. My brother never really reveals his emotions, but even he was getting tearful at times, particularly when...

Spoiler

...the older brother dies, and one of us had to let go of the controller.

-Playing through both The Last of Us games alongside my elderly mother. I periodically gave her the controller and taught her how to finish certain sections, such as the horse riding. A fantastic bonding experience, and she became attached to the characters, just like it was one of her favorite television shows. We also finished the entire Telltale's The Walking Dead series together, with her making most of the decisions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StraightVege said:

-Playing through both The Last of Us games alongside my elderly mother. I periodically gave her the controller and taught her how to finish certain sections, such as the horse riding. A fantastic bonding experience, and she became attached to the characters, just like it was one of her favorite television shows. We also finished the entire Telltale's The Walking Dead series together, with her making most of the decisions.

This brought back another memory of mine:

I used to play this RTS game called Impossible Creatures a lot when I was a kid. Used to be my favourite PC game. I somehow convinced my father to play it with me a few times (he's never really been into gaming otherwise), and even though we were just playing against AI, it was always enjoyable coming up with strategies with him on how we should go about creating our units (one of the core aspects of the game was mixing two different animals together to create units), securing resources, defences, offense, etc.

I had to guide him through the basics as he had no clue what he was doing initially, having never really played a game before, but once he understood it he managed the grasp many of the other gameplay elements and controls/hotkeys himself pretty well. Some of my best memories of that game are the few occasions we played together. I often miss those days, and miss him in general (he's not dead, we just don't see each other much any more)

Playing games together with family and friends have been some of my fondest memories. There's something special about it that just isn't quite the same with more passive activities like watching movies together, at least that's how I feel anyway.

• Like 1

How nice; I agree, gaming with loved ones is unique. For me, I think cooperating to overcome challenges is mainly what makes it such a memorable bonding experience. Sitting idly in front of a TV show or something is kinda brainless.

I never really got along with my dadfrankly, he was kind of a bastardbut we did enjoy playing some games together, like Double Dragon on the SMS, which we beat many times. We always had a good chuckle over how it makes you duel for the girl at the end (what can I say, video game stories have come a long way since the 80s! ?).

• Like 2

I always think back to when me and my sister would play Tekken 3 or Tag Tournament. We didn't have many games, so we'd always invent games to play within the game. Like one of us takes a controller around the corner and fight each other blind with the sound off. My little brother would be the referee and call us out if we used an illegal move (spamming one attack) and take points off. It was silly, but we had fun doing it. Winner got candy or picked the tv channel for the day. Stuff like that.

We also took our favorite characters on double dates in the bowling mini game. I always chose Bryan Fury and Xiaoyu (yes I realize how gross that is now that I'm not a child lol), and my sister would always be Hwoarang and Julia.

We played games normally, too. We'd take turns playing Final Fantasy VIII or X and just watch each other. I miss hanging out with my sis, but she's not into games anymore and has her own family now. It's nice to think back on it, though. ?

Crude Buster AKA Two Crude probably was my first love with side-scrolling brawlers. My younger brother and I played this almost every day after school in the '90s. We never played video games for long back then -- one or two hour sessions were enough. Besides, SEGA Mega Drive was my first ever console.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ01Q29XqMOe0ixGwdeyb3

Edited by zizimonster
  • Like 1

The few happy gaming memories that I have usually involve me and my childhood friends playing locally. 

When I was around 14, we'd go outside every day and do random stuff with a couple friends for hours during summer breaks, then go to someone's place and play games. I had a PS1, one friend just got a PS2 at that time, and the other friend had a PC.

When it was my turn to invite them, we would play games like Crash Team Racing and Quake 2 on split screen. Or maybe try out old Resident Evil games. At my friend's place, we'd play NFS Underground 1-2 and Most Wanted on PC in turns. It was the peak of car tuning era, and we were very much into cars and racing games. But playing PS2 games with friends was the most memorable time for me. We'd buy some cheap orange soda and snacks, come over, play games like Worms 4 Mayhem, Burnout 3, Micro Machines V4, and destroy each other in local multiplayer in each one. These games were made to be super fun to play with a company of people. 

• Like 1

I was a kid and one weekend in the Summer I stayed up all night playing Metal Gear on the original NES. Stayed up and finished the game. I felt accomplished at such a feat. Also the first all night game session I ever had. And not the last.

I also have this memory of driving home during winter with the roads all snowed in and getting home and watching Adult Swim (ATHF) then YuYu Hakusho AND THEN playing this new game called Grand Theft Auto 3 on my PS2.

• Like 1

Being in grade 2 wanting a gameboy color so bad I would draw a picture of one on a piece of paper and pretend it was real and I could actually play it. 

Watching my dad beat Yoshi's Safari on SNES with the big gun. That remains the only video game he's ever been good at. He loved "accidentally" shooting yoshi in the back of the head and seeing him get mad lol. 

Seeing my friend play Morrowind on his computer and deciding I wanted to try it. I was way too young to know what was going on, so when I finally got my copy I went around collecting everything but didn't know what over encumbered meant and thought my game was breaking when my character would barely move. I even reinstalled the game thinking it would fix it. I also didn't know how to save in GTA Vice City because I was a dumbass kid who never paid attention when it literally tells you how. 

I have so many good memories of playing games as a kid it's kind of sad that nothing these days I would ever see myself being nostalgic for in the future. Being an adult is so different from the magic of being a kid where things just leave a bigger, lasting impression on you. 

Edited by Vulpine9Tails
  • Like 1

My first is the MGS2 demo, not even the real game. I played the tanker over and over and probably spent more time on the demo than most games. I'll never forget the feeling of being so blown away by the visuals, how detailed enemy interactions were (shooting legs, arms, radios to disable), and even silly things that are commonplace now like the destructible bottles, and even the ice cubes melting over time. I've never felt that feeling of awe at a video game since unfortunately.

The second, a very nostalgic memory of FFIX (not even my favourite FF), when I'd get home from school, mute the game and play the Linkin Park Hybrid Theory album on loop as I played. Not even sure how that combo came about, other than getting the game and the album at the same time but these two are forever linked in my mind!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Anything related to Tony Hawk online, BO2 or Saints Row 2.
  • Finally beating all the Trail Blazing side missions in Saints Row: The Third—the only time I have ever cried tears of joy over a video game. I felt like I had just won the WWE Championship.