Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

20 minutes ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I think I'm overdoing the amount of Events joined, but it'd be fun to start this.

For January, do FPS games count?

You've been added. It's great to see so many people joining the event. ^_^

I'd say this event is not that time-intensive and can be combined with other events pretty well, so you should be fine.

Well, since most is not all FPS games are 3D games, there shouldn't be any problem with that. I guess the original Doom would cut it close but since I'm also allowing 2.5D games to count towards this month's theme, even that game would count. As long as your game uses 3D models, you should be good to go. :)

1 hour ago, xFalionx said:

Well, it's not really hard or anything, you're gonna have to farm quite a few spheres to fill the grid and the rest is just a bunch of leveling. Pretty basic JRPG stuff.

I guess the fiends that spawn in the area with the highest XP gain are the annoying part, so you can't really be careless otherwise your party will end up petrified, giving you a game over and making you lose all the XP you grinded for since the last time you saved. Get some gear that prevents petrification and save often, then you'll be fine.

I used to love blitzball but when I played it again recently it was pretty boring. Still better than normal sports games, I guess.

Yojimbo is pretty great, especially once you get him to 1-hit something that would take half an hour to beat. :P

In my opinion, the 2 Sin boss fights were pretty easy compared to the Seymour fight, in which that bastard is flinging around zombie spells every few turns to prevent you from healing and reviving your party members.

I did use Yojimbo to fight most of the dark Aeons, though. 

Oh right, how could I forget that annoying Chocobo race. Honestly, that's the most annoying trophy in the game and I was extremely excited once I finally managed to get that done.

Lightning dodging was pretty easy for me, I think I got the trophy on my third try. I guess the annoying part is that you have to keep track of the number of times you've dodged a bolt. 

It's always nice to get some progress. ^_^

I hate games that have trophies like that and don't allow backtracking/ still have some of the stuff missable, especially if they're fairly lengthy games.

Hahah yeah that's so true about losing the XP, the newer one doesn't feel at all as grindy as the older gen's

Yeah he sure is. I will be making good use of him once I have him. He is a for sure on the dark aeons.

Totally forgot about the chocobo racing :facepalm: 

Just need to get the main story completed. Totally love it and not really sure why I stopped playing it tbh!

Still have both Kingdom Heart HD's to do also... aaah too many lengthy games! Hopefully get them done before 3 is out... if it actually ever gets a date! :huh:

Hahaha OMG yeah that Seymour fight, he is pretty annoying! and especially as he is a lengthy battle with changing himself several times! ooo the joys :rolleyes::P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

Chapter 4 will fly once you get to the field study part.

Did you get the chest in Bareahard Central Plaza?  It's just outside the waterway and not on the map in the walkthrough so that is the most commonly missed.  I missed that one myself and can say it's not that bad to have to go through again and in fact is to your benefit because those zeram powders you get in the trapped chests after you have the master quartz are very useful on nightmare against one late game boss that has an ability to basically capture a character and drain their HP until they die and you can release the character before that by doing a S-Craft.

I think I got that one. Do you remember if it's the one just outside the waterway? Thanks for the late-game tip. I hope I remember it when I get there. In any case, you're here so I'll just ask for any advice later. 

10 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Got me by an hour. Grats Kent. 

Plat 109 - Dragons Dogma. I started it during my first Kill Your Completion event in July and I've been chipping away ever since. Great game, though there are a few minorly annoying trophies. 

Fun 9/10

Difficulty 4/10

Congrats :dance:! You weren't the only person  I edged out in a competition yesterday. I got the plat for Watch Dogs 2 a couple hours before @PillowGamer in Epic's Challenge's as well.

5 hours ago, Fitzquaid said:

I just finished the plat in Everybody's Gone to the Rapture... not quite the same scale of game as Hemiak's or Kent's, granted. ^_^

Congrats :dance:! I'm actually playing through Everybody's Gone to the Rapture right now for the Platinum Pyramid event. I'm glad to know you enjoyed it. (At least a little bit xD)

@xFalionx Congrats on earning a gold rank with Welcome Park. I'm currently working on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture so I should have a gold star in a couple of days :).

Btw, it might be a nice feature to have the plat image of the game you got plat rank with next to the platinum trophy. It's just a thought though.  :dunno:

Edited by Kent10201
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kent10201 said:

@xFalionx Congrats on earning a gold rank with Welcome Park. I'm currently working on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture so I should have a gold star in a couple of days :).

Btw, it might be a nice feature to have the plat image of the game you got plat rank with next to the platinum trophy. It's just a thought though.  :dunno:

Thank you. Actually, you should be able to get a platinum star as well as challenge rank, since it's a game with a platinum and it qualifies for a different event. ^_^

Yeah, I had a similar idea in case I pull through with the signature/profile cards but using the trophy image sounds pretty neat, I think I might incorporate that. I'm just glad that you mentioned that while the platinum amounts are small enough to be trackable. I wouldn't want to search through dozens of pages while looking for each participants first platinum game for each month. :P

1 hour ago, MortalRikku said:

Still have both Kingdom Heart HD's to do also... aaah too many lengthy games! Hopefully get them done before 3 is out... if it actually ever gets a date! :huh:

Oh right, that's another title I still have to finish but at least I'm not under pressure since I don't have a PS4 anyways. ^_^ 

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Thank you. Actually, you should be able to get a platinum star as well as challenge rank, since it's a game with a platinum and it qualifies for a different event. ^_^

Yeah, I had a similar idea in case I pull through with the signature/profile cards but using the trophy image sounds pretty neat, I think I might incorporate that. I'm just glad that you mentioned that while the platinum amounts are small enough to be trackable. I wouldn't want to search through dozens of pages while looking for each participants first platinum game for each month. :P

Oh right, that's another title I still have to finish but at least I'm not under pressure since I don't have a PS4 anyways. ^_^ 

Ok, sounds great. If you ever decide to do the trophy cards I wouldn't mind helping to find everyone's first platinum trophy of the month :).

I on the other hand have a lot of pressure to complete all of the Kingdom Hearts games. They're my favorite games and my goal is to have all of them complete before Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out (and it will come out @MortalRikku xD) I can't wait to get my hands on 2.8. Only 17 days left :dance:!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

That's lucky for you then! I have backlogs in both PS3 and PS4! :facepalm:

I blame is on multiplayer games! I need to stay away from them haha! :blink:

4 minutes ago, Kent10201 said:

I on the other hand have a lot of pressure to complete all of the Kingdom Hearts games. They're my favorite games and my goal is to have all of them complete before Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out (and it will come out @MortalRikku xD) I can't wait to get my hands on 2.8. Only 17 days left :dance:!

I hope so @Kent10201 I still have the other 2 HD's to complete on PS3 so I am only going to pick up 2.8 once I have done them! It will just sit and collect dust for years to come :facepalm:-_-:P

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MortalRikku said:

I hope so @Kent10201 I still have the other 2 HD's to complete on PS3 so I am only going to pick up 2.8 once I have done them! It will just sit and collect dust for years to come :facepalm:-_-:P

That's lucky for you then! I have backlogs in PS3, PS4 and PSVita!:P

I should probably do the same thing but there's no way I'm going to resist buying and playing 2.8 on release date. I really want to finish up Kingdom Hearts Final Mix but the synthesis grind is so complex and boring :angry:.

Edited by Kent10201

1 hour ago, MortalRikku said:

Hahah yeah that's so true about losing the XP, the newer one doesn't feel at all as grindy as the older gen's 

Look up the Don Tonberry leveling trick. It'll shorten the grind immensely. You can only level one person a time, but you can get like 20-30 sphere levels a fight. 

That trophy is the reason I stopped playing the game. I beat it half a dozen times on ps2, got all the celestial weapons everytime, but I can't stand long pointless grinding. I've got almost all the monster stuff done, and I've beat 5 of the Dark Aeons, but I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'd rather leave it incomplete for now, than  force myself to "finish" it and lose my love for the game. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the corrections on my start numbers.  English is my first language so I often get confused looking at instructions :)

I voted for Vita to be the console next month what with its 5th anniversary coming, a good reason to keep on an underrated platform in February.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MortalRikku said:

Well, we're still the same in terms of backlogs since I also have a Vita backlog besides my PS3 backlog. :D

2 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Look up the Don Tonberry leveling trick. It'll shorten the grind immensely. You can only level one person a time, but you can get like 20-30 sphere levels a fight. 

That trophy is the reason I stopped playing the game. I beat it half a dozen times on ps2, got all the celestial weapons everytime, but I can't stand long pointless grinding. I've got almost all the monster stuff done, and I've beat 5 of the Dark Aeons, but I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'd rather leave it incomplete for now, than  force myself to "finish" it and lose my love for the game. 

I found the Don Tonberry method to be worthless by the time I found out about that because the set-up would be as long as the leveling I had left but more annoying than grinding fiends.

One-hitting fiends is still pretty fast in terms of XP gain, especially if you consider that you'd probably have to do the Don Tonberry fight about a hundred times to fill every characters sphere board.

If you're that far into the game, the grinding really isn't that bad in comparison to a few of the other things. Just get yourself some armor that protects against petrification and watch a movie, series, anime, Youtube video, or whatever else comes to mind while grinding. Sure, it's not all that great but at least with the right equipment you can do it fairly mindlessly.

Anyways, I still love the game and it's still within my personal top 3 FF games, even after grinding out the plat. ^_^

1 hour ago, Kevvik said:

Thanks for the corrections on my start numbers.  English is my first language so I often get confused looking at instructions :)

I voted for Vita to be the console next month what with its 5th anniversary coming, a good reason to keep on an underrated platform in February.

Yeah, English isn't my first language either, accidents happen. :)

That's actually the reason I came up with "Consoles" as the major theme of February in the first place. I thought it would be fitting for the occasion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

I think I got that one. Do you remember if it's the one just outside the waterway? Thanks for the late-game tip. I hope I remember it when I get there. In any case, you're here so I'll just ask for any advice later. 

Yeah, it's outside the waterway.  Everything else is on the maps in the walkthrough so if you got the waterway one, you're probably fine.  And yes, you can definitely ask me for tips late game, especially on the nightmare run.  Your first run shouldn't cause any problems but nightmare got tricky at the end, though it was nothing compared to getting the plat for SC Evo.

And speaking of this stuff, I should probably mention that I didn't intend on it, but I'm probably going to end up with Cold Steel II being my game for this because I can't seem to put the game down after I beat it and am up to act 2 part 2 in my nightmare run.

• Like 2

@DrumKing294 Welcome aboard. :D I'm glad to see that I've finally managed to convert you to a glorious member of the PSNP master race. :P

Anyways, you know the rules, have fun and finish some of those monthly themed games. 

2 hours ago, Komrade_Konrad said:

Well Titan Souls turned out to be too addictive, so I ended up platting that before starting any 3D games.  Gravity Rush will probably be next, but if I dont end up platting any 3D games, I can always use one of my theme skips and still get a platinum rank right?  

Yeah, I barely managed to rip myself away from the screen long enough to stop playing once I started the game out of curiosity. I might try to squeeze that game into the next month because it's pretty addicting, but for now I've got Pumped BMX + and Persona 4 to worry about. ^_^

Yep, since Titan Souls has a plat you'll be able to use one of your skips to earn a platinum rank. You should only use it as a last resort though, since you only have two skips and you can never really know what themes the rest of the year has to offer.

Edited by xFalionx

9 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Yep, since Titan Souls has a plat you'll be able to use one of your skips to earn a platinum rank. You should only use it as a last resort though, since you only have two skips and you can never really know what themes the rest of the year has to offer.

Yeah I only plan on using it if I have to since there's plenty of time to fit in another game this month.  Just wanted to make sure that's how the rules worked. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, English isn't my first language either, accidents happen. :)

Thanks for the consideration but I was actually mocking myself. English IS my first language.  ?

Curious, does finishing the American McGee's Alice (originally released on PC in 2000) DLC for Madness Returns count as doing a retro game? If not, no worries, I'm sure I'll do another soon.

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Thanks for the consideration but I was actually mocking myself. English IS my first language.  ?

Curious, does finishing the American McGee's Alice (originally released in 2000) DLC for Madness Returns count as doing a retro game? If not, no worries, I'm sure I'll do another soon.

Oh, sorry I thought that was a typo. :facepalm: 

Anyways, after reading the Wikipedia article, I'd count that as a retro game. Actually since the DLC is a separate game with trophies I'd also award you a gold rank for that.

Congrats on completing the first challenge and earning a gold grade in January. ^_^

3 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Anyways, after reading the Wikipedia article, I'd count that as a retro game. 

Well well. I tried to start with the DLC and it was so bad I stopped playing for a month before coming back to Plat the main game. I had no intention of ever playing that crap fast again but if it'll count for the Retro challenge, and presumably the "play something you would not have except for the event", I might just have to redowload it. I'll probably save that for another month though. 

Question about the 4 games challenge. Do they all have to have plats? If not would full "DLC" games like American McGee count towards that? (can't think of any other cases like that atm)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

Well well. I tried to start with the DLC and it was so bad I stopped playing for a month before coming back to Plat the main game. I had no intention of ever playing that crap fast again but if it'll count for the Retro challenge, and presumably the "play something you would not have except for the event", I might just have to redowload it. I'll probably save that for another month though. 

Question about the 4 games challenge. Do they all have to have plats? If not would full "DLC" games like American McGee count towards that? (can't think of any other cases like that atm)

I was kind of wondering the same since I'd probably try to keep up with chipping away at the Steam backlog with some short games in there and 4 games in a month is pretty easy if I do stuff in my Steam collection.  Any that I'd play would have achievements and I can certainly link my achievement pages to prove a 100%

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hemiak said:

4 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I was kind of wondering the same since I'd probably try to keep up with chipping away at the Steam backlog with some short games in there and 4 games in a month is pretty easy if I do stuff in my Steam collection.  Any that I'd play would have achievements and I can certainly link my achievement pages to prove a 100%

Well, don't force yourself to play bad games but yeah, it would unlock both the retro challenge as well as the play something you would not have played otherwise challenge in that case.

As for the 4 games in a month challenge, for this anything that would net you a gold or platinum rank counts towards the total of 4 games. Even this rare case where there's a game that was planned to be released as a standalone game but got scrapped and then released as a free DLC pack with the sequel. To be completely sure you should inform me beforehand in those cases.

Since any gold or platinum rank counts towards the requirement of finishing 4 games, anything that you 100% on steam counts as well. Just make sure to post a link to your profile or achievement list, so I can check. :)

• Like 1

I still haven't been able to play games in 2017 yet but I think I might finally have some time to play today. I just looked over the challenges and saw the  :hidden: Complete a game because of the event, that you would not have played anytime soon otherwise. challenge. I  think I'm finally going to start playing Portal 1 (on Steam) to complete this challenge :). That game has been in my backlog for ages and I really need to play it. 

• Like 3

@ladynadiad Congrats on getting your gold grade in January. Yep, that's one off the counter for the challenge. ^_^

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I still haven't been able to play games in 2017 yet but I think I might finally have some time to play today. I just looked over the challenges and saw the  :hidden: Complete a game because of the event, that you would not have played anytime soon otherwise. challenge. I  think I'm finally going to start playing Portal 1 (on Steam) to complete this challenge :). That game has been in my backlog for ages and I really need to play it. 

No worries, Portal 1 is a great choice! :) 

Keep in mind that you need to get all Steam achievements for the game to count towards the challenge and a gold rank, otherwise you are set. 

• Like 1