Hacked or Just Paranoid?

Lady_Galleth

So dumb thing just happened. 

So my PSN has been down all day. I tried logging into my ps3 to see if it was just my ps4 having issues. As soon as I booted it up, I got a message saying that my password had expired and I had to change it. That's NEVER happened before in all of the 7 years or so I've had it. So I changed it, and it let me log in for a few seconds. When I tried to message a friend, it was showing I had no friends. :(  Then when I got to YouTube, it immediately kicked me out, saying that my PSN has been timed out. Did I just get hacked?! I know I'm probably paranoid, but it IS getting that time of year where PSN normally does get hacked... 

Thanks.

~L.G.<3

No, it wasn't through any PlayStation message box or anything. I should have screenshotted it.....!! But it came with rules, if that helps. Like 'Make sure it was letters and characters, blah, balh...' 'Make sure that your password ISN'T the same as your online ID log in' 'Make sure this isn't the password to your other accounts'. 

I just got an Email FROM PlayStation saying that my  Sony Entertainment Network password has been changed, so...um...that's a thing.

Edited by Lady_Galleth

6 minutes ago, Lady_Galleth said:

No, it wasn't through any PlayStation message box or anything. I should have screenshotted it.....!! But it came with rules, if that helps. Like 'Make sure it was letters and characters, blah, balh...' 'Make sure that your password ISN'T the same as your online ID log in' 'Make sure this isn't the password to your other accounts'. 

hmmm that is very weird, I haven't had this type of message appear to me before. For how long have you had the password prior to the message?

5 minutes ago, Lady_Galleth said:

I changed my email and password about...not even a year. Back in, say, July.

hmmm then it shouldn't have sent that kind of a message since I remember that I had a password that I used for a few years until 2011. That is very weird, are you able to log in now as normal?

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

No. PSN has been down in my State all day. :( But it said your Sony Entertainment Network password has expired.... is that the same thing?

I just read that PlayStation/Sony sometimes does this when they detect "irregular" activity from someone's account. If it's true, idk what I did. :(

Edited by Lady_Galleth

Seems normal to me, they usually do that every year or so. You sure you don't remember changing your password last year? Because when they changed the terms of service, they made EVERYONE accept it and change the password for safety (after the data leak IIRC). PSN is having issues, you should be good, don't worry.

• Like 1

Sounds like it's just problems on their server.  Granted, over here it was fine, was able to sync my trophies throughout the day (even go into the store and get something from it).  So it seems like it's just having issues where you are at the moment, it does happen.  I mean the other day, I thought there was something wrong, turns out, maintenance.  So I say, just hold out for a bit longer and then try again a bit later on.

• Like 1

I hope. The fact that PlayStation sent me an email saying that my password was changed gives me hope! I'm probably just paranoid. 

Other question; What IS a Sony Entertainment Network account or whatever? I didn't even know I had one. X3 

Edited by Lady_Galleth

Personally I think you are being paranoid cause if it's the message I am thinking of, I got it last year or earlier this year cause I hadn't changed my password since 2011. Whilst I think this is the case, change your password on you PSN/SEN account and then activate 2-step verification to make sure you aren't going to be fucked over in the future. Better to be safe than sorry :)

And a SEN account is your PSN account. They changed the wording to "Sony Entertainment Network [account]" rather than "PlayStation Network [account]"

Edited by Nitro

I had a similar thing happen to me back in 2013, just a week or two before the PS4 released. I just booted up my PS3 one day and tried signing in like always, and it told me the password was incorrect. Tried on my Vita as well, and on PC, both incorrect still. I didn't have any emails from Playstation/Sony telling me my password had changed, I reset my password anyhow and everything seemed fine after that. I tried searching online about it, and it turns out quite a lot of other people in the UK randomly had their PSN passwords reset as well, with no email from Sony about it. Supposedly they reset passwords on accounts that had "suspicious activity", but it seems more likely to me that some accounts' information got corrupted, resulting in the reset.

Anyhow, if you didn't get an email from Sony/Playstation telling you the password has been changed (prior to actually changing it yourself), and nothing else seems amiss, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've been having issues on and off with PSN the past couple of days myself as well, but I kinda expected it since both PSN and Xbox Live seem to get issues pretty frequently around Christmas time.

30 minutes ago, Lady_Galleth said:

Thank you, everyone! :D I DID manage to log into the message app on my phone, so I think everything's okay now. :3 Thank you everyone. What is a 2-step verification code?

A 2-step verification code is a code sent to your cell phone that you need to enter every time you log into a new PlayStation console for the first time. This way, if a hacker ever got your account information, they wouldn't be able to get into your account unless they also had your phone.

31 minutes ago, Lady_Galleth said:

Thank you, everyone! :D I DID manage to log into the message app on my phone, so I think everything's okay now. :3 Thank you everyone. What is a 2-step verification code?

Glad everything is working well now.  Had the same thing happen to me earlier this year and freaked out as well.  Changed everything and implemented my two step.

Two step authentication basically puts a second password on your account.  No one can sign into your account on a new device without a password that is sent to your phone or email.  Pretty handy and easy to use.  I think you need to login to the PSN website to set it up under your account settings if that helps.