Game of the Year Awards 2016

Abbey97

So Playstation Trophies and Xbox Achievements have compiled together a Game of the Year Awards for 2016 for both PlayStation and Xbox games.

What does everyone think to the choices? Do you agree or disagree? What game do you feel should have won an award? Post what you think!?

Here's the links:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-25961-Game-of-the-Year-Awards-2016---The-Winners.html

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-21107-Game-of-the-Year-Awards-2016---The-Winners.html

36 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Since Zero Time Dilemma did not win the best story category, obviously I don't agree.

(And Hitman being GOTY is a joke in itself)

I've really got to play Zero Time Dilemma because I'm always seeing comments about how good it is?

I wonder why there's no Vita games getting any mention as there have been some good Vita games come out this year.

Edited by RizzleAbbey12

I actually agree with a lot of the choices here.

Making Hitman their GOTY and Ubisoft their best publisher are probably the most controversial picks considering they both have somewhat of a rocky background (GOTY with no platinum reeeeeee) but the argumentation makes a lot of sense to me.

Hitman's a really good game, it's just burried under an avalanche of stupid nonsense and the way Ubisoft has been supporting Rainbow Six Siege has been nothing short of amazing.

Let me elaborate. The past years have left me somewhat skeptical on buying multiplayer-focused games that aren't giant hits, at least not after a couple months after release. In fact, that's one of the very reasons i didn't buy Rainbow Six around the time of its original release. I'm always scared that the publisher's gonna drop the game like a hot potato as soon as the disappointing sales numbers come in, resulting in the game's community dying down in record time. But the effort that Ubisoft put into not only fixing issues with the game itself but also expanding the playerbase, which is pretty much unheard of at this age makes me hope that this could set a new industry standard for multiplayer. That i can pick up a used copy of the game at Gamestop in 2018 and not have to worry that i might have nobody to play with.

8 minutes ago, Happy said:

I actually agree with a lot of the choices here.

Making Hitman their GOTY and Ubisoft their best publisher are probably the most controversial picks considering they both have somewhat of a rocky background (GOTY with no platinum reeeeeee) but the argumentation makes a lot of sense to me.

Hitman's a really good game, it's just burried under an avalanche of stupid nonsense and the way Ubisoft has been supporting Rainbow Six Siege has been nothing short of amazing.

Let me elaborate. The past years have left me somewhat skeptical on buying multiplayer-focused games that aren't giant hits, at least not after a couple months after release. In fact, that's one of the very reasons i didn't buy Rainbow Six around the time of its original release. I'm always scared that the publisher's gonna drop the game like a hot potato as soon as the disappointing sales numbers come in, resulting in the game's community dying down in record time. But the effort that Ubisoft put into not only fixing issues with the game itself but also expanding the playerbase, which is pretty much unheard of at this age makes me hope that this could set a new industry standard for multiplayer. That i can pick up a used copy of the game at Gamestop in 2018 and not have to worry that i might have nobody to play with.

I've not played Hitman yet so I'm not going to say if it good or not but I am planning on getting a physical copy this year.

I also loved the fact that Ubisoft are supporting the multiplayer for there games as it then means that when the price goes down, gamers can be reassured that the game isn't dying or losing players as there is interest for it. I think it's already changing it as a lot of other developers are starting to offer free weekends for their games which is brilliant in itself.

10 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Because Vita is obviously dead :/

I hope it's not going that way, I love playing on my Vita as there are some brilliant games on it :/

Hitman best game of the year? 

Ubisoft best publisher? 

It's not that I disagree,

it's that they were drunk when making this list. 

This is how I imagine they were like when doing this. 

E4mrGTX.jpg

They be trolling us! 

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

I strongly disagree with the Playstation list. Doom and Dark Souls 3 certainly deserved a mention in categories such as best game.

I also believe that Battleborn deserves a mention in the multiplayer and biggest surprise category. I've found it to be far more enjoyable than Overwatch and there is a great deal to like about the game. It's sad to see this gem of a game completely fly off the radar because of poor marketing and bad release timing. 

I don't think the writer has been keeping up with Street Fighter V very much. Although the game did release in a very barebones state it has come a long way. Everything they mention to be lacking in the initial release has been added and more such as the weekly/daily challenges. I'm pretty sure Capcom is on the E-sports scene with SFV's EVO top 8 being aired on ESPN and with the game headlining most major fighting game events. There was even a SFV event hosted at the White House. SFV also plays very smoothly and although welcoming to beginners, can become extremely challenging at higher levels of play especially with many of the DLC characters having more depth than much of the initial roster. 

48 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I strongly disagree with the Playstation list. Doom and Dark Souls 3 certainly deserved a mention in categories such as best game.

I also believe that Battleborn deserves a mention in the multiplayer and biggest surprise category. I've found it to be far more enjoyable than Overwatch and there is a great deal to like about the game. It's sad to see this gem of a game completely fly off the radar because of poor marketing and bad release timing. 

I don't think the writer has been keeping up with Street Fighter V very much. Although the game did release in a very barebones state it has come a long way. Everything they mention to be lacking in the initial release has been added and more such as the weekly/daily challenges. I'm pretty sure Capcom is on the E-sports scene with SFV's EVO top 8 being aired on ESPN and with the game headlining most major fighting game events. There was even a SFV event hosted at the White House. SFV also plays very smoothly and although welcoming to beginners, can become extremely challenging at higher levels of play especially with many of the DLC characters having more depth than much of the initial roster. 

I played in the original Battleborn beta. There was little to like.

Blizzard won with overwatch because it waa already polished and ready on release.

I don't disagree with overwatch winning that category, in any list. 

1 hour ago, Lion of the Lolis said:

Hitman being the GOTY is a joke.

Also, as soon as I read Ubisoft was the best publisher of the year I suddenly realised the thread was a giant trolling joke.

Who do you feel should have won it??

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

Hitman best game of the year? 

Ubisoft best publisher? 

It's not that I disagree,

it's that they were drunk when making this list. 

This is how I imagine they were like when doing this. 

E4mrGTX.jpg

Trolls... 

Brilliant?

1 hour ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Also I wonder why they didn't have an Indie or a Breakthrough/New Developer category for games made by the smaller developers as I feel they should have massive praise as the games they make are little gems such as Stardew Valley and they also struggle to make and publish them.

14 minutes ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Go home, Game of the Year Awards 2016, you're drunk.

Massively drunk? Better games that deserved more recognition.

Edited by RizzleAbbey12
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lion of the Lolis said:

Hitman being the GOTY is a joke.

Also, as soon as I read Ubisoft was the best publisher of the year I suddenly realised the thread was a giant trolling joke.

2 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Since Zero Time Dilemma did not win the best story category, obviously I don't agree.

(And Hitman being GOTY is a joke in itself)

You dont even have played Hitman , so why you think its a joke? its a very good game in my opinion .... maybe not GOTY but it is worth in top games this year.

Edited by Xionx
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Completely subjective, meant only to drive eye balls to make money. Congrats, you helped them do just that. 

I just thought it would be a good and interesting article for people to read and then have a chat to each other about that's all?

How was No Man's Sky not the biggest disappointment. Mighty Number 9 looks like it is way better then No Man's Sky. The best publisher in my opinion should have been EA. They worked on  games like battlefield 1 and Star Wars Battlefront dlc this year. They had a Battlefield 1 beta and Star Wars Battlefront free trial weekends. They had 4xp events along with free dlc trials on Battlefront. Battlefield 1 got very good reviews and good sales. That should be enough for EA win not Ubisoft.

Edited by marvelboy10

45 minutes ago, Xionx said:

You dont even have played Hitman , so why you think its a joke? its a very good game in my opinion .... maybe not GOTY but it is worth in top games this year.

Ive seen gameplay and tried not on my profile, and granted it is a great game, hitman always is. Just not GOTY material. 

Just now, Lion of the Lolis said:

Ive seen gameplay and tried not on my profile, and granted it is a great game, hitman always is. Just not GOTY material. 

Hm ok i thought you say its a joke because you think it is trash ^^ . i agree it is not GOTY worthy , compared to other games .... but it sounded very harsh for not playing it (on profil atleast)

i apologies if i misunderstood your statement.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Who do you feel should have won it??

EA is my most disliked company followed by Ubisoft, so I'm biased towards them granted. I don't follow publishers too closely nor do I play online content nor DLCs so I can't make a proper judgment of who should've won but I just don't like Ubisoft haha.

32 minutes ago, MarsipanRumpan said:

Why don't PSNP have the GOTY awards or did I miss it? I would love to give my top 10, 5 games or so. We should start a thread :D

Somebody has already done it but a great idea none the less?

24 minutes ago, Lion of the Lolis said:

EA is my most disliked company followed by Ubisoft, so I'm biased towards them granted. I don't follow publishers too closely nor do I play online content nor DLCs so I can't make a proper judgment of who should've won but I just don't like Ubisoft haha.

Haha it's understandable ? the games they bring out are 9 times out of 10 buggy and glitchy

• Like 2