How is this game?

Day Of The Tentacle Remastered is coming to ps plus in January and I was wondering what's this game like. I know it got good reviews but when I saw the gameplay it just made me wonder. I am not saying its a bad game I just want to know what makes this game so good that it got a remaster?

• Like 1

Well, it is a game from LucasArts who developed some of the most memorable games back in the Eighties and Nineties, and so it did deserve a remaster because it's so darn good. But I think they're targeting the ones who are familiar with LucasArts' games and of course those who played this back in the days. I played this for the first time in 2003, and I loved it. Completed the remastered version of it as well a few months ago. Again, it's probably not for everyone, but I had and will continue to have fun with it. :P

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gameoncomrade said:

Well, it is a game from LucasArts who developed some of the most memorable games back in the Eighties and Nineties, and so it did deserve a remaster because it's so darn good. But I think they're targeting the ones who are familiar with LucasArts' games and of course those who played this back in the days. I played this for the first time in 2003, and I loved it. Completed the remastered version of it as well a few months ago. Again, it's probably not for everyone, but I had and will continue to have fun with it. :P

Thanks for saying your opinion. I am going to play it when it comes to ps plus. I just wanted to make sure that the next game I start won't be a bad or boring.one.:D

Edited by marvelboy10

I remember it being quite hard for the younger version of me back in 1993, and apparently I haven't gotten any better at gaming (or just less patient) during the last two decades because without a guide, this game is challenging. A lot of "use everything with everything even though it doesn't seem logical" is required. Besides that, the humour still holds up and if you like the genre, you won't get disappointed.

• Like 1

Personally I think it's one of the best classic point and click games ever. With this and the first Monkey Island having been remastered, my only wish is that Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis as well as Sam And Max Hit The Road will eventually get remasters. First up is Full Throttle, which I missed back in the day but will get without a doubt, possibly even day one. I loved these kind of games back in the day and LucasArts was definitely the top developer back then.

I bought Day Of The Tentacle Remastered right away when it was released a year ago even though at that time I knew that it would go on PS+, seeing as all Double Fine games go there eventually. No regrets, and for free you definitely have to give it a try.

My advice: play with remastered sound and graphics but for the actual gameplay, use the classic bar. Personally I've never gotten used to those new point and click systems.

Also: try to do a first playthrough without a guide, and without even looking at trophies (turn off those notifications!). A second runthrough for remaining trophies can be done in an hour or two. This game has so many jokes and fun puzzles, it would be a shame to just do a walkthrough run for the quick trophies (and if you've played the game before, you should be able to get all trophies without effort just going by the trophy descriptions).

On 2-1-2017 at 2:31 AM, marvelboy10 said:

Day Of The Tentacle Remastered is coming to ps plus in January and I was wondering what's this game like. I know it got good reviews but when I saw the gameplay it just made me wonder. I am not saying its a bad game I just want to know what makes this game so good that it got a remaster?

Double Fine have made it their duty to remaster a lot of these classic point and click games - Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day Of The Tentacle, Full Throttle and whichever they'll announce for 2018.

As for what makes all of these games classics: LucasArts was a big player back then, especially with these point and click games. The graphics and music were decent for those days but where they excelled was in the writing - there was less graphical power to wow your audience with, so you either had to have awesome and addictive gameplay and/or an amazing story. All of these old LucasArts point and click games were critically acclaimed right from the start, with a well written plot and amazing humour. Most of the homour writing creds usually go to Tim Schafer these days. He had nothing to do with Fate Of Atlantis by the way, which was an at least semi-serious game while the games where he (co-)wrote basically go all-in on the jokes.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, jaehyun1009 said:

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll give this a try since I enjoyed Grim Fandango and Broken Age.

If you enjoyed those two then (dare I say it) you will most definitely enjoy DotT. I have to do a second playthrough before I decide how high on my list Broken Age goes (I definitely loved the first act) and I thought Grim Fandago was definitely nice, though not as good as my top three of classics (1 - Day Of The Tentacle, 2 - Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, 3- Sam And Max Hit The Road).

Don't know if it's the same for you but I tend to enjoy a game quicker if I haven't paid anything for it. I stopped playing Watch_Dogs 1 and brought it back to the store because it was not €50 worth of enjoyment but if I ever get it back for €5-€10 then I'll probably still enjoy it. Because of this mindset, I tend to enjoy PS+ games quicker than had I paid a regular price for it.

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

If you enjoyed those two then (dare I say it) you will most definitely enjoy DotT. I have to do a second playthrough before I decide how high on my list Broken Age goes (I definitely loved the first act) and I thought Grim Fandago was definitely nice, though not as good as my top three of classics (1 - Day Of The Tentacle, 2 - Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, 3- Sam And Max Hit The Road).

I would like to see a remastered Fate of Atlantis someday since I never finished the game, but a nagging voice in the back of my head says licensing is a problem. The same might be true of Sam and Max. 

I'm actually conflicted about classic adventure games. I agree with you completely that the humor is great, and I definitely enjoyed these games when they were new. Nowadays, I don't have the patience to experiment with random combinations of items and actions. I never found a logic to the puzzles in most of these adventure games. In fact when I played through Grim Fandango Remastered recently with a guide, I only remember a handful of the puzzles making any sense as I was playing them. Most of the time I was scratching my head and thinking "THAT'S what I'm supposed to do? Whatever!"

I don't skip past dialog even when using a guide, but for me these games tend to be too frustrating without cheating. I don't know if I've gotten spoiled by modern adventure games dropping the illogical puzzles, or if it's mostly me getting older, or if classic adventure games just had bad gameplay design. I think the argument could be made that the gamplay length of a lot of these games was artificially padded with the stupid puzzles. Sure, it's amusing to hear "I'm not putting my lips on that" over and over in Full Throttle, but sometimes I wonder just how many extra hours I spent trying and failing to solve puzzles until I finally got it right. Even back when I played these as a teen, I found the puzzles slightly frustrating; now it's just annoying. For me the comedy is the main appeal of these games though, not the "try random things until you succeed" gameplay. Who knows, maybe it's just the way my brain is wired? I do actually like puzzles. I loved the first two Portal games and hope we finally get Portal 3 someday. That kind of logical puzzle is very enjoyable for me. With few exceptions, classic adventure games do not have the same appeal for me; I find the puzzles more frustrating than rewarding for the most part. 

Strangely enough, I find the humor and animations in these games to be amusing enough to enjoy playing even when "cheating" with a guide. In fact I bought both Grim Fandango and DotT Remastered day one. I do love Tim Schafer's sense of humor, just not the crazy puzzles. 

Anyway, I would suggest to anyone playing this (or other similar adventure games), to try it without a guide first. BUT, if you find the strange puzzles too frustrating, don't hesitate to pull out a guide... just make sure you don't skip the funny dialog. :) 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

I feel like the gameplay is fine, but the characters were less than stellar to me.  This game is very much like the LucasArts games of old, and I enjoyed it.  I bought the game on a sale one time around when it came out on the PS store, and was surprised at how short the game is with a guide.  I'd say that if you just want a "free" platinum, then you should absolutely play it, as it will only take roughly 3-5 hours with a guide and the dialogue can be funny at times.  If you are the type of person that only goes for the platinum on games that you really enjoy, I would still say it's worth a play just to find out.

Edited by Ayzic
Spelling, add more content.

If you want, you can do this game just for the trophies in like 2 and a half to 3 hours by following a guide. Of course, you'd be missing out on the fun aspects of the game... It's better than what might be your initial reaction when starting the game.

I've gotta say that i liked it quite a bit. The humor is unbelievably dry, which is the best kind of humor. It doesn't really hold up to Grim Fandango in terms of narrative and style but it's a success in its own right.

7 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Dated. I imagine it was pretty fun and impressive back in the day, but we ain't back in the day.

I was sad to see just how bad Maniac Mansion was now, though. Some memories should remain in the past.

tumblr_m9ozdhlBcr1qgj9sro2_400.gif

Seriously though, the game is definitely old but I would not call it dated. The remastered version has awesome new hand-drawn graphics, the humour is killing and the gameplay is strong as ever. Much better than those games that are called point&click but are actually interactive movies...

Yep, it's very dated. I didn't like the controls and puzzles so far at all. Also I disliked the humor, but I'm strange in this regard, so take it with a grain of salt.

I can see the appeal of the game, and seeing the difference between the remaster and the old render, i'm pretty sure some nostalgic folks will love this, but this game makes me glad to grow up as an console kid to be honest. 

• Like 1