Sony to shut down Guerilla Cambridge studio

SnowxSakura

3 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

Many, not all.

Yeah, well that's what happens when studios close. If they did a better job, they wouldn't have to close. When you're working on a contract, you take that risk. Same as anybody could be let off from their job right now. It's just how the world works.

Well their last Big game was Killzone on Vita almost 4 years ago and before that like 2 Titles that i think most of people don't know; Oh and RIGs for the Vr it seems; so honestly i didn't really know well this Studio but i'm not surprised about it, it did like what? 10-12 Titles in almost 20 years and collaborated in 5-6 games? that's atcually too few. It's a rather sad news as always (Especially loving Mediavil but let's be honest we have more chance to see it Remastered now by another Company that get the rights than from Guerilla candbridge.) but i can see why Sony took this decision.

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Sounds like a good move to me.

Are you incorporating other information that is not in the original post? Because all I see there is a bunch of vague business-speak about (unnamed) "studios" delivering (unnamed) "exciting projects" that correspond with (unnamed) "strategic objectives"...

...and of course a nod to PSVR.

I don't think I've ever actually played any of their games, but it's always sad to hear about yet another studio getting closed down. Their last few games have been stranded on niche hardware which probably didn't help. They may not have been pumping out hit after hit, but if we're talking recently, I hear Killzone Mercenary is actually the best game in that series. I hope everyone affected lands on their feet.

If I had to predict what studio Sony were going to close next, I'd bet money on that being Media Molecule. Their last big game was Little Big Planet 2 back in 2011. I know Tearaway sold terribly, and I believe Tearaway Unfolded did even worse. They've been working on Dreams for what feels like forever. I mean it was shown at the PS4 reveal event and we still don't have a release date for it! Besides, I never hear anyone talking about it anyway. Even when that game comes out, I think we all know it's gonna bomb.

Ghosthunter was badass. Still have that game for my PS2 and now I wanna go back and play it. Absolutely HATED Primal with a burning passion, and was so disappointed to see it come to PS4 instead of other games that so many people are requesting (how many people requested Primal, compared to say, a Silent Hill game, Haunting Ground, and even any of the original Call of Duty games I've seen pop up frequently). MediEvil wasn't my kinda game and never played Killzone: Mercenary, so I got no input on those.

2 minutes ago, olliebear66t said:

What? There's a chance of killzone mercenary servers being shutdown? I only just started playing.

Pure speculation at this point. No real examples have been pointed to and other examples of servers *not* shut down have been given, aka Liverpool Studios.

I wonder if this latest development will enlighten ignorant individuals of just how goddamn terrible Microsoft Studios Sony Studios are.

Nah, probably not. Enjoy your amazing year of Crackdown Horizon: Zero Dawn, Halo God of War, and blah blah blah lmao.

Goddamn I'd hate to be an Xbox Playstation gamer.

Spoiler

/s

11 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

Shuts down a studio who's most recent game was a VR title. Yeah, PSVR sure has quite the future ahead of it.

I made that prediction when it launched that by Christmas 2017 it would go the way of the Move and 3D Display...people called me crazy...we will see.

6 hours ago, olliebear66t said:

What? There's a chance of killzone mercenary servers being shutdown? I only just started playing.

Light Box was shut down and their severs are still open like 2 years later so no need to panic right away.

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

I wonder if this latest development will enlighten ignorant individuals of just how goddamn terrible Microsoft Studios Sony Studios are.

Nah, probably not. Enjoy your amazing year of Crackdown Horizon: Zero Dawn, Halo God of War, and blah blah blah lmao.

Goddamn I'd hate to be an Xbox Playstation gamer.

Reveal hidden contents

/s

Those Playstation exclusives don't sound very interesting at all. Why would anybody bother getting them?

17 hours ago, NightRusticDawn said:

Meh old news.

Not surprised really, they have said these types of things for years now. Finally made them up and do it. I'm sorry for everyone that lost/will loose their jobs over this but hopefully those talented people can find other projects to work on and we can have more successful products in the future.

Oh and you should make everything into a quotation as everything you posted is from Siliconera news article besides your own two sentences at the end.

Copied directly from siliconera with a direct link at the bottom, quotation is not needed as the source is clearly shown.

Edited by SnowxSakura

18 hours ago, XX_FTW said:

Wow. Sony calls this redundancy but I can't help but see the punishment for supporting their less successful projects like Move, Vita, and VR.

Sony has a horrible reputation for it's abuse on anything that isn't the Main PlayStation Home Consoles (PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4). They apparently cancelled a Infamous PSVita game and two more PSVita games because Naughty Dog wouldn't let them do another Uncharted PSVita. So Sony was like "fuck it then, no Uncharted then no first party support at all". This is why I haven't bought a PSVR, I do not trust Sony in keeping the support for it. Right now, they are trying their best to support the PSVR but they did the same things with PSVita in the beginning and we all know what they did in the end.

18 hours ago, charlijaen said:

Sony is destroying the creativity in their first party games killing all these developing studios which made such great games.

Let's hope that Killzone Mercenary stays online for long time, because Sony might be shutting down servers of these games soon as well

Erh... No. Sony is one of the best in terms of allowing their main studios to be creative.

Guerrilla Games was allowed to develop open-world RPG for 4-5 years, while studio was known only for FPS genre.

Naughty Dog was allowed to develop a new IP, instead of just milking Uncharted.

Insomniac was allowed to make a freaking Spider-Man game.

SMS is rebooting GoW, even though they had only fails recently (tbf, I think that new GoW is still a disgrace and looks like a piece of trash, but w/e).

Sucker Punch is probably working on a new IP.

Edited by Jayharth

1 hour ago, TheVader66 said:

Sony has a horrible reputation for it's abuse on anything that isn't the Main PlayStation Home Consoles (PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4). They apparently cancelled a Infamous PSVita game and two more PSVita games because Naughty Dog wouldn't let them do another Uncharted PSVita. So Sony was like "fuck it then, no Uncharted then no first party support at all". This is why I haven't bought a PSVR, I do not trust Sony in keeping the support for it. Right now, they are trying their best to support the PSVR but they did the same things with PSVita in the beginning and we all know what they did in the end.

Yep and that's why i'm Thankful to the Japanese Companies that with a "Fuck you Sony" continue to support PsVita, not a case that all the PS4 Exclusive are from NA Studios :awesome:

Edited by Sora9427

1 minute ago, Sora9427 said:

Yep and that's why i'm Thankful to the Japanese Companies that with a "Fuck you Sony" continue to support PsVita, not a case that all the PS4 Exclusive are from NA Studios :awesome:

Actually not all the PS4 Exclusives are from North America, Killzone Shadow Fall is from the Netherlands and Knack, Gravity Rush 2 and Bloodborne are from Japan.

3 hours ago, TheVader66 said:

Actually not all the PS4 Exclusives are from North America, Killzone Shadow Fall is from the Netherlands and Knack, Gravity Rush 2 and Bloodborne are from Japan.

Well 2 Big games, a great one and a Normal One, just 4 isn't much compared to the US ones xD

Edited by Sora9427