Sony to shut down Guerilla Cambridge studio

SnowxSakura

Sony confirmed today that they’ve decided to close the doors on UK developer Guerrilla Cambridge, after 19 years as a Sony subsidiary. [Thanks, GameIndustry.biz.]

Sony says that the compulsory redundancies are “regrettable,” as the decision to close down the studio comes from a review of all current PlayStation projects and sources after concluding that “in order to deliver on our strategic objectives, it is necessary to make some changes to the European studios structure”.

GameIndustry.biz reports that all employees will be laid off, but Sony has pledged to try reallocating people onto other projects where possible, and they’ll assist staff by speaking to local developers about recruitment prospects. The soon-to-be former Guerrilla Cambridge staff shouldn’t have too much trouble finding new work, as Cambridge is considered a hotbed of UK developers, with the likes of Frontier, Ninja Theory, Jagex, and more nearby.

Here’s more from Sony’s statement:

“Whilst we accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff, by focusing on other Studios with exciting new projects in development, (including continued work on PlayStation VR), we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality to our players.”

“This decision should not take anything away from the incredible games and services that Guerrilla Cambridge has delivered.”

It was also confirmed in the report that no other studios, including Horizon: Zero Dawn and Killzone series makers Guerrilla Games Amsterdam, have been affected.

Guerrilla Cambridge was originally founded back in July 1997 when Sony Interactive Entertainment acquired Millennium Interactive, based n Cambridge, England. The studio was not only known for its development and creativity, but they also helped local talents at universities find a place in the games industry. The studio, previously known as SCEE Cambridge Studio, has been running for 19 years, and most recently developed RIGS: Mechanized Combat League as a launch title for PlayStation VR. They’ve also worked on titles such as the MediEvil franchise, Primal, Ghosthunter, and Killzone: Mercenary on PS Vita.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/12/sony-shut-guerrilla-cambridge/#PMwOocKj4LiujXAJ.99

Real shame about the studio and all of those jobs

Wonder what this means for the killzone mercenary servers

• Like 1

Meh old news.

Not surprised really, they have said these types of things for years now. Finally made them up and do it. I'm sorry for everyone that lost/will loose their jobs over this but hopefully those talented people can find other projects to work on and we can have more successful products in the future.

Oh and you should make everything into a quotation as everything you posted is from Siliconera news article besides your own two sentences at the end.

Edited by NightRusticDawn

Old News??? It was just confirmed by Sony today. How does that make it old news?

Anyway, stay Indie developers! Work out exclusives if you want, but the danger of shutting down is real.

I was really thinking Sony would resurrect MediEvil soon, but really seems like that's not going to happen now. So much dusty IP to pull from for whole new audiences, just all seems to be slowly killed off for good.

Just now, DaivRules said:

Old News??? It was just confirmed by Sony today. How does that make it old news?

Anyway, stay Indie developers! Work out exclusives if you want, but the danger of shutting down is real.

I was really thinking Sony would resurrect MediEvil soon, but really seems like that's not going to happen now. So much dusty IP to pull from for whole new audiences, just all seems to be slowly killed off for good.

It was news from Sony side but old news from across the table. Still sure they confirmed it now..guess that's something.

52 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

I hope this won't kill the MediEvil franchise.

The MediEvil series has sadly been dead already for years (pun intended). The last release was in 2005 and even that was just a PSP remake of the first game! So 2000 for the last new entry, going on twenty years. :o 

Edited by dell9300

12 minutes ago, NCSFan001 said:

now I may avoid picking up KZ mercenary since it has online trophies, though I'd love to finish the series

I'd pick it up now if anything. Would probs be a couple months (maybe longer) until the online is shut down. 

Get the online trophies done first and then just focus on SP

Just now, Superbuu3 said:

Sir Dan was in playstation all star battle royale so Sony does consider him a mascot of sorts and we are getting that parappa rerelease and he was in that game too.

Yeah I was going to mention that but didn't bother =D

I would've questioned why they'd have Sir Dan in the game but not Crash or Spyro but it just comes down to licencing of the characters since they've not been owned by Sony for years.

Sad. Considering all, don't worry too heavily about Killzone Mercenary, other companies have parted with Sony or closed, and online continues, just mis-managed by Sony Santa Monica, for instance. Yes, I'm talking to you Starhawk.

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Here’s more from Sony’s statement:

“Whilst we accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff, by focusing on other Studios with exciting new projects in development, (including continued work on PlayStation VR), we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality to our players.”

A new drinking game: take a drink every time a Sony exec shoehorns something about continued support of VR into a statement.