Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

13 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Also, fun fact, I had one single glitch in the game, it was on the last boss after a few retries, without spoiling, I was this close to beating it, and then what I needed to do wouldn't trigger and I basically got stuck running around the level being unable to fight the big bad. Fuck. Anyway, beat it on my next go so no harm, no foul.

Wait, did you just talk about a game starring a former NBA player, and use the phrase "no harm, no foul?" :awesome:

So is the gameplay kind of like Scott Pilgrim?

I am loving the update to the eshop. Not only do they now have a "Discover" section that highlights games on sale or released that month, but they also increased the top downloads of the past two weeks from 15 to 30. Even better, they also have a separate section for download only games. I'm not sure about you guys, but I love seeing what other gamers are playing. :D

In other news, I bought Footie Manager 2017. I'm away from work atm and I wanted a new game to keep me occupied.

Only thing that made me interested was it was F2P, meaning there would hopefully always be a player pool, but doing this destroys that security and as such, destroys my interest.

However it will go F2P later in the year and I'll check it out then, but from free everywhere else to this, it's a bit of a jump, and I have no idea how many people will even be playing so, either waiting on a sale, or waiting on the free version.

sketch-1528405502482.png

14 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Only thing that made me interested was it was F2P, meaning there would hopefully always be a player pool, but doing this destroys that security and as such, destroys my interest.

It's not just the Switch, I see games calling themselves "Free to Play" and stretching that definition pretty far. If somebody is saying the game is free to play once you buy it, without continued purchasing... that's what all games used to be. Sheesh.

9 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's not just the Switch, I see games calling themselves "Free to Play" and stretching that definition pretty far. If somebody is saying the game is free to play once you buy it, without continued purchasing... that's what all games used to be. Sheesh.

Dead Trigger 1 on my phone is one such game. I've had it installed on every phone I've owned for the last 5 years or so. Nice graphics (amazing in the day though), good controls and controller support, shitloads of missions and weapons, fun little arena mode for when you've got five to kill at the train station, and I've never paid a cent.

I don't really download "free" games, console or phone. There's that one, and that's really all I can think of. I mean, I 1000GS'd that mini Final Fantasy beat em up thing, and NBA's Prelude, but I mean I don't get into free games. Peggle on the phone was the one exception, that was pretty fun for the money (none). 

Great idea in theory, very rarely executed well. That being said, I'll enjoy my free Paladins and Fortnite on Switch, if only because there's not really anything else like it on there. But anyway, I had my stance on not buying it really hammered home last night. So Xbox's sale is dope at the moment and I've bought a whole bunch of shit I don't need, one such thing was Titanfall 2 for $7, I already have on PS4 but I never play the damn PS4 and this is just easier. So that game, fire it up, and I have great internet by the way, the envy of most of my friends to be entirely honest, game takes about (no joke) 3 minutes to find a match.

I played COD4 (360) the other day, found a match in literally a couple seconds. Black Ops 3 last gen, same story. Without constantly playing players, these games are useless, I played two matches of Titanfall 2 yesterday, and they were a blast as always, but that wait was ridiculous, and if Paladins has even a CHANCE of being like that, I ain't giving it a cent. When it's free, and if there's a consistent amount of players, I wouldn't be against paying for it in some way (though tbh I won't in all likelihood)  down the line but paying 45 to take a chance on something that might tank, that might have support for it dropped, and that is free everywhere else, well, that's just silly.

20 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Nowadays they apparently sell collector's editions of games, charge like 140 € for them and don't even include the game (Red Dead Redemption 2).... :facepalm: Gaming industry business practices are getting a bit alarming. 

Finished Golf Story on Switch last night. Beat the last tournament on my 3rd try. Fun game with nice visuals and impressive music. Lots of funny events that made me chuckle, great dialogue and silly ideas that were a bit unexpected. The puzzles at Tidy Park country club reminded me of Day of the Tentacle. 
The game was a bit glitchy though - got myself stuck in Oak Manor twice, forcing me to return to the world map. Once the ball flew outside the screen and the game made me hit the ball repeatedly from there, my character was nowhere to be seen and whenever I hit the ball it just made a sound effect and didn't appear anywhere. Would have liked a bit better mechanics and controls for the golf parts and at least some kind of a possibility to get an overall view of the hole when planning my shots. 

Overall I enjoyed my time with Golf Story and I feel it was well worth its price.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:38 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Dead Trigger 1 on my phone is one such game. I've had it installed on every phone I've owned for the last 5 years or so. Nice graphics (amazing in the day though), good controls and controller support, shitloads of missions and weapons, fun little arena mode for when you've got five to kill at the train station, and I've never paid a cent.

I don't really download "free" games, console or phone. There's that one, and that's really all I can think of. I mean, I 1000GS'd that mini Final Fantasy beat em up thing, and NBA's Prelude, but I mean I don't get into free games. Peggle on the phone was the one exception, that was pretty fun for the money (none). 

Great idea in theory, very rarely executed well. That being said, I'll enjoy my free Paladins and Fortnite on Switch, if only because there's not really anything else like it on there. But anyway, I had my stance on not buying it really hammered home last night. So Xbox's sale is dope at the moment and I've bought a whole bunch of shit I don't need, one such thing was Titanfall 2 for $7, I already have on PS4 but I never play the damn PS4 and this is just easier. So that game, fire it up, and I have great internet by the way, the envy of most of my friends to be entirely honest, game takes about (no joke) 3 minutes to find a match.

I played COD4 (360) the other day, found a match in literally a couple seconds. Black Ops 3 last gen, same story. Without constantly playing players, these games are useless, I played two matches of Titanfall 2 yesterday, and they were a blast as always, but that wait was ridiculous, and if Paladins has even a CHANCE of being like that, I ain't giving it a cent. When it's free, and if there's a consistent amount of players, I wouldn't be against paying for it in some way (though tbh I won't in all likelihood)  down the line but paying 45 to take a chance on something that might tank, that might have support for it dropped, and that is free everywhere else, well, that's just silly.

Actually the point I was trying to make, is that this game on Switch is claiming to be free-to-play, but you have to pay for it. So... it's basically like every non-free-to-play game ever. You buy it and then you just play it. But this game is worse, you buy it, and THEN you're hit with the option to buy microtransactions every 5 minutes. No thanks.

Anyway, beyond that, I hate the way free-to-play games work. I'd much rather pay $60 for a complete game than keep running into "wait periods" that can be cleared by paying real money. I know some games are more annoying about it than others, but even if they aren't in your face with the microtransactions, they affect the way the gameplay loop works. I can't say for certain that Orcs Must Die Unchained would have been a decent game without F2P crap, but I was saddened to see a great series ruined that way, and it's not the first time it's happened and won't be the last. It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, and it made me swear off F2P games for good. There are only two game "types" I refuse to play because they pissed me off enough - MMOs and F2P.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:10 AM, Eyjabria said:

Nowadays they apparently sell collector's editions of games, charge like 140 € for them and don't even include the game (Red Dead Redemption 2).... :facepalm: Gaming industry business practices are getting a bit alarming.

I think that's only the second time I've seen the non-game collector's edition. I forget what the first game was. But yeah, it's a weird trend. I guess there are enough people that like collectibles to make it worthwhile for the publishers.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:10 AM, Eyjabria said:

Finished Golf Story on Switch last night. Beat the last tournament on my 3rd try. Fun game with nice visuals and impressive music. Lots of funny events that made me chuckle, great dialogue and silly ideas that were a bit unexpected. The puzzles at Tidy Park country club reminded me of Day of the Tentacle. 

The game was a bit glitchy though - got myself stuck in Oak Manor twice, forcing me to return to the world map. Once the ball flew outside the screen and the game made me hit the ball repeatedly from there, my character was nowhere to be seen and whenever I hit the ball it just made a sound effect and didn't appear anywhere. Would have liked a bit better mechanics and controls for the golf parts and at least some kind of a possibility to get an overall view of the hole when planning my shots. 

Overall I enjoyed my time with Golf Story and I feel it was well worth its price.

Nice. I am near the end I think.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Actually the point I was trying to make, is that this game on Switch is claiming to be free-to-play, but you have to pay for it. So... it's basically like every non-free-to-play game ever. You buy it and then you just play it. But this game is worse, you buy it, and THEN you're hit with the option to buy microtransactions every 5 minutes. No thanks.

At the end of the description of Paladins it say it will be free to play at a later time. What you can buy is the founders pack, which allows you to start playing immediatly plus unlocking all Champions and some cosmetic stuff.

I guess you can download the F2P version tomorrow when the games releases.

Upcoming Limited Run Games lineup per their E3 announcements, Nintendo Switch releases highlighted.

• Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas (Nintendo Switch) – Available now, orders open until July 11th
  • Read Only Memories: Collector’s Edition (PS Vita physical) – June 29th, 2018
  • VA-11 HALL-A: Collector’s Edition (PS Vita physical) – June 29th, 2018
  • Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition (Nintendo Switch physical) – July 2018, pre-orders begin Friday, July 6th
  • Observer (PS4 physical) – July 2018
  • Salt and Sanctuary (PS4/PS Vita physical) – August 24th, 2018
  • Cosmic Star Heroine (Nintendo Switch physical and digital) – Digital release in August, physical TBA
  • Yooka-Laylee (Nintendo Switch physical) – August 2018
  • Golf Story (Nintendo Switch physical) – September 2018
  • Layers of Fear: Legacy (Nintendo Switch physical) – October 2018
  • Thumper (PS4/Nintendo Switch physical) – July 2018
  • Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! – Full Course Edition (PS Vita physical) – Summer 2018
  • Exile’s End (PS4/PS Vita physical) – Summer 2018
  • Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive (PS4/PS Vita physical) – Summer 2018
  • Iconoclasts (PS4/PS Vita physical) – Q3 2018
  • The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition (PS4/PS Vita digital and physical – Q1 2019
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail (Nintendo Switch physical) – TBA
  • Spelunky (PS4/PS Vita physical) – TBA

I count probably 7-8 on this list that I'll definitely be in on. :D  That includes a few PS4 releases like Observer and Iconoclasts (I'm SO happy to see Observer getting the physical treatment, game rubbed me the wrong way at times but after finishing it I realized how much I really liked it).  My wallet is crying. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

19 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

At the end of the description of Paladins it say it will be free to play at a later time. What you can buy is the founders pack, which allows you to start playing immediatly plus unlocking all Champions and some cosmetic stuff.

Yeah, I noticed that after making my post. I think it's somewhat misleading, since it's in the fine print. Oh well, I'm not interested in the game anyway, but thank you for the information.

19 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I would love that, but I doubt it. From my understanding, it was gonna go F2P later on in the year, and this is basically just them wanting 45 bucks off you to get early access / beta test for them.

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I would love that, but I doubt it. From my understanding, it was gonna go F2P later on in the year, and this is basically just them wanting 45 bucks off you to get early access / beta test for them.

Seems to be the case. Now it says it's F2P later this year. So the Founders Pack is for people who can't/don't want to wait for the free version. In my opinion that's ok.

If you really want to play the game now why not pay for it?

By the way, it's 30€ in Germany. Normaly the just take the $ price and put an € behind.

I'm thinking about buying Saturday Morning RPG. Any thought about the game? Is it worth for about 7€?

Edited by MarkusT1992

Hollow Knight is available on the Nintendo Switch.... TODAY!

https://www.dualshockers.com/hollow-knight-date-nintendo-switch/

Guess I know what I'm buying and playing pretty darn soon. ;)  Might actually wait to play until I'm sure all the DLC is released since I think there's still at least 1 pack in development... but no reason I can't buy it ASAP.  Even willing to go digital to have this one on console (and double dip if LimitedRunGames or otherwise pick it up).

(Looks like Fortnite is available on the Switch today as well per the article.)

Edited by Dreakon13

32 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Hollow Knight is available on the Nintendo Switch.... TODAY!

https://www.dualshockers.com/hollow-knight-date-nintendo-switch/

Guess I know what I'm buying and playing pretty darn soon. ;)  Might actually wait to play until I'm sure all the DLC is released since I think there's still at least 1 pack in development... but no reason I can't buy it ASAP.  Even willing to go digital to have this one on console (and double dip if LimitedRunGames or otherwise pick it up).

(Looks like Fortnite is available on the Switch today as well per the article.)

That was a nice stealth release to announce in the Direct.

Overall it was a good presentation, with lots of time spent on the big game for many fans, which is Smash Bros. I was hoping for something about Metroid Prime 4, and  I guess this is confirmation it is a 2019 or 2020 game.

1 minute ago, g-bake_1986 said:

Any idea if Hollow Knight is PS4-bound?

I don't think they've said too much officially, but I think I remember reading that they did want to get it on Playstation someday... but the Switch was the priority.  So I wouldn't hold your breath but IMO, that's probably their next stop if they continue with it.

Just looking at it logically, if they got the game working well on the Switch, I would think porting to the PS4 would be pretty straightforward.

• Like 1

It's been a full day and nobody has mentioned Star Fox turning up in Starlink yet. What a waste.

www.jpeg

Not much in the Direct for me, but that was a given, seeing as last year knocked it out of the park and this year would focus on Smash, which I'm not a huge fan of. I liked seeing Super Mario Party though, it's a game I usually like to play when I've got guests. And it's cool that Super Smash Bros. just has every single fighter from before.

Also, Hollow Knight for €15... Okay. It's already downloading.

@MosesRockefeller finished Yoku's Island Express some days ago but I didn't feel like logging on. It's really cool, I think you'd like it.

Damn it Nintendo. Just finished watching your E3 presentation and now I have a dilemma on my hands. Which game should I download? Hollow Knight or Fortnite?

(and yes I realise one game is free anyway but I only have so much time on my hands to play games lol).

Speaking of Nintendo's E3, it wasn't as strong as last year's, and it certainly wasn't the strongest E3 presentation this year, but it was still very good and had me excited for a lot of stuff. Shame a lot of the content was leaked a few days in advance.

7 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

Damn it Nintendo. Just finished watching your E3 presentation and now I have a dilemma on my hands. Which game should I download? Hollow Knight or Fortnite?

(and yes I realise one game is free anyway but I only have so much time on my hands to play games lol).

Hollow Knight. Then again, I'm really not into online multiplayer.

7 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

Speaking of Nintendo's E3, it wasn't as strong as last year's, and it certainly wasn't the strongest E3 presentation this year, but it was still very good and had me excited for a lot of stuff. Shame a lot of the content was leaked a few days in advance.

Last year was crazy though, so many new titles flung into our faces...

55 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

It's been a full day and nobody has mentioned Star Fox turning up in Starlink yet. What a waste.

www.jpeg

Not much in the Direct for me, but that was a given, seeing as last year knocked it out of the park and this year would focus on Smash, which I'm not a huge fan of. I liked seeing Super Mario Party though, it's a game I usually like to play when I've got guests. And it's cool that Super Smash Bros. just has every single fighter from before.

Also, Hollow Knight for €15... Okay. It's already downloading.

@MosesRockefeller finished Yoku's Island Express some days ago but I didn't feel like logging on. It's really cool, I think you'd like it.

I knew you had Starlink covered, so I didn't mention it. :)

Starlink looks interesting, and if it's not too much of a toy money sink (so far it doesn't seem to be), I'm down. The price of the starter kit is reasonable. Also, I just wanted to mention how cool it was in the presentation when Yves presented the Arwing model to Miyamoto, and Miyamoto said "merci beaucoup" in Yves' native French. What a classy guy.

You and I had pretty much the same reaction to the Direct. There wasn't a lot in it for people like us but it had some good stuff for other gamers. I'm hoping the next Direct has more games I'm interested in.

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I knew you had Starlink covered, so I didn't mention it. :)

Starlink looks interesting, and if it's not too much of a toy money sink (so far it doesn't seem to be), I'm down. The price of the starter kit is reasonable. Also, I just wanted to mention how cool it was in the presentation when Yves presented the Arwing model to Miyamoto, and Miyamoto said "merci beaucoup" in Yves' native French. What a classy guy.

I know the FAQ by heart and every single add-on ship/pilot/weapon can be bought as just-digital DLC.

Getting McCloud and the Arwing makes it even more interesting to me, as it's now much more appealing than the pilot/ship from the standard pack. I probably would have bought the racing ship instead. Still might get it on the side.

https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/starlink/ships

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You and I had pretty much the same reaction to the Direct. There wasn't a lot in it for people like us but it had some good stuff for other gamers. I'm hoping the next Direct has more games I'm interested in.

Don't know if there ever will be such a packed Direct, the Switch is not new any more and they probably won't hold on to so many big titles any more. If they ever announce a new F-Zero, that Direct will win for me hands down though.

Since I don't really picture myself buying many games in the eShop, I went through all my Switch game cards and redeemed those reward points/coins or whatever they are.  Paid off the tax and then some for Hollow Knight. ??

EDIT: Gosh, the game is just as beautiful as I remember it.  The best part of this is that when I first played Hollow Knight when it originally came out on PC, it was rife with stuttering and screen tearing.  Partially the developers issue, something they worked to patch over time and probably continued to do so after I was done.  Partially the fault of the PC, being a powerful but spotty platform when it comes to compatibility and games "just working".  As much as I loved it, the issues made an already challenging game feel unpleasant at times.  I'm totally looking forward to playing this on console... patched up, smoothed out and without all the PC problems and riff raff. :)

Edited by Dreakon13