Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

7 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Backwards compatibility really is the one thing X1 has over PS4, for me, though it's still not nearly all games that are compatible. In the end, I have enough room to keep my PS3 and other consoles around. 

The X1 now plays SSX 3 at 4K, which is reason enough to get one. :D

Nintendo has always had a good history of backwards compatibily on their handhelds, and with Switch being one aswell, I fully expect the next version to play all Switch games. Maybe not the physical games, but there should be no reason for it to not run the digital purchases from your account. Which brings me back to what I meant originally: Once I know for sure that it does, I'll go fully digital on everything Nintendo, but until then I stay with cartridges which I can put up on Ebay once I'm done with them.

8 minutes ago, soniq said:

The X1 now plays SSX 3 at 4K, which is reason enough to get one. :D

Nintendo has always had a good history of backwards compatibily on their handhelds, and with Switch being one aswell, I fully expect the next version to play all Switch games. Maybe not the physical games, but there should be no reason for it to not run the digital purchases from your account. Which brings me back to what I meant originally: Once I know for sure that it does, I'll go fully digital on everything Nintendo, but until then I stay with cartridges which I can put up on Ebay once I'm done with them.

I do the exact same thing with PS4 discs. Don't have one reason in particular but with the Switch I somehow just jumped ship to the digital side, even though on PS4 I still do the whole disc trade/selling.

Well, I beat Mario+Rabbids, FINALLY! I also managed to pull off a very skillful victory in the final battle:

Spoiler

33712164_1947283908624211_41336160691578

Yup, that's right! I lost my entire team in the final battle... I had one character left and an enemy Buckler hit me with a shotgun blast that also killed Bowser. Go team Bowser! :P

What a great game. I'm looking forward to the Donkey Kong DLC. I wonder if we'll get to use more characters than Rabid Peach, Donkey Kong, and Rabid Cranky (although Rabid Peach should never be left off a team anyway!). I actually never used Rabid Yoshi or regular Yoshi in the base game. I don't really feel like going back through the challenges, but I will probably retry a couple of fights with the Yoshis to give them a shot.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

On 5/28/2018 at 7:35 AM, Eyjabria said:

I need to get Golf Story this month before some My Nintendo points expire so I can get some discount. Looking forward to trying it out. 

Anyone else going to try Mario Tennis Aces pre-launch demo? It's going live June 1st - June 3rd. Never played any Mario Tennis games so I'll probably have no idea what I'm doing.

I'll definitely give the Mario Tennis Aces demo a try. I already downloaded it.

17 hours ago, Asvinia said:

Not enough hype for Octopath Traveler in this thread.

It's the only Switch game I'm looking forward to within the near future. Otherwise the only game I have is Mario Odyssey and I've had a Switch since November. It feels like there's no games that I wouldn't rather just get on PS4 with trophies, and the announcement of no Virtual Console was a slap in the face. I hope they still decide to bring some old games to the Switch eventually.

I don't mean to bring such negativity to the thread but I'm so frustrated.

I didn't play the Octopath Traveler demo, so I guess I need to give it a try. However, it seemed like it is a deliberately old-fashioned JRPG, which doesn't really appeal to me. I like JRPGs to have at least PS2-era quality-of-life improvements. Maybe it does and I'm misinformed.

As others have said, the Switch library is already pretty good. If your tastes are so narrow that none of the non-Mario exclusives appeal to you, then the console probably wasn't for you. It sounds like me and the Xbox One, where I basically bought it for one game (Sunset Overdrive). I did get a few other games out of it, but it wasn't my most sensible purchase. :)

5 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Weird, to me buying digital feels like investing in the system :D

I'm wondering about everyone here who buys mainly physical: how do you take your games with you when you play on the move (or do you even play on the move at all)? Do you have a Switch carrying case with room for games, or do you have a bunch of those plastic holders?

Persobally I think it's awesome how all my games are always on the card (and thanks to recently buying a 400GB card, it'll be a while before I have to delete anything).

I have a fairly even split between physical and digital games. I have the Zelda PDP case, which I got before the Switch itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Breath-Starter-Protector-Earbuds/dp/B01MT8XY4V/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1527600825&sr=8-9&keywords=zelda%2Bswitch%2Bcase&th=1

It holds 12 physical games, which I actually have! For some reason the description says 14, which if you have one in the Switch itself, is 13. I guess you could put one in the mesh pocket, but if you're doing that, why not dump in 5 or 6? Weird. Anyway, it's a good case, and I recommend it. The outside of mine is getting faded and scuffed, but the zipper is one of the best I've ever seen on a case, and the case itself has held up well. I've never used the ear buds (I have so many of those that I didn't buy separately, that I have never even opened), but the Joy-con grips are pretty cool (and they fit in the case and in the dock). The best thing about them is that they let you put down the Switch flat (normally it sits at an angle with the Joy-cons attached). I even looked for something similar for the Dual Shock 4, that would let me set it down without accidentally pushing R2/L2, which happens ALL THE TIME. The thumb covers are neat I guess, but I don't find them necessary.

1 hour ago, Cthulhu said:

L.A. Noire. I'm interested in it again now that I have a 400GB microSD card. I was thinking about the game today and it turns outit just entered a 25% off sale on the Switch,bringing the price down to €37,50 (or €2,50 under the PS4 main price). I know it's been €20 on PS4 already but screw it, I'm paying to be able to play it portable on a small screen. The remastered version on PS4 probably only serves to bring out the flaws more to me. I'll probably still buy the PS4 version once it's under €10, L.A. Noire and Portal 2 are the games of the past decade I've replayed the most. @Super-Fly Spider-Guy anything to add on the Switch game?

Let me know what you think if you get Noire. It's a little more expensive than I want to pay, but I don't have much motivation to play it on the PS3 (where I already own it). The portability of the Switch version, along with the touch-screen option that is apparently very nice, are tempting me.

6 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Let me know what you think if you get Noire. It's a little more expensive than I want to pay, but I don't have much motivation to play it on the PS3 (where I already own it). The portability of the Switch version, along with the touch-screen option that is apparently very nice, are tempting me.

First a picture that didn't work, now a post with its content tripled... The site sure has it in for you today :)

Do you mean you've actually never played through it before? What the hell are you waiting for!? It's an awesome game, I've played through it several times. I think it's basically L.A. Confidential in game form. It's a great noir detective story with some (divisive) twists.

Just remember one thing: when questioning people, the game lets you choose between truth/doubt/lie. This is a change made late in the development process and even in the game itself they're introduced in a different way, but here's what you're actually choosing between, with doubt being the big change:

Truth: you believe what's being said.

Lie: you know that what's being said is false because you have contradicting evidence/statements 

Doubt: you don't have contradicting evidence but you don't believe you're hearing the (full) truth. You'll use psychological pressure to force the interviewee into a truthful statement.

This means that when you choose doubt, you'll get Phelps often shouting at people. Kind of jarring if you don't realise what's the story behind doubt (again, in the game's tutorial the police officer explains the option correctly, it's just the button input name that's misleading).

In the end, L.A. Noire seems like a one-of-a-kind game, and it's certainly worth at least one playthrough of anyone who's even remotely interested in story, noir, police work, classic Hollywood and crime drama.

P.S. pro tip: use the black and white graphics.

4 hours ago, Stardew Shelly said:

If you only got Mario Odyssey, what did you get the Switch for? There are tons of brilliant games out right now and even more are coming.

How can you own a Switch without Zelda? Do you like RPG's? There is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario + Rabbids (which is amazing, don't let the Rabbids fool you), Golf Story, Shin Megami Tensei V, Disgaea 5, Motherfucking Pokemon Switch, Fire Emblem etc...

Then all the Nintendo exclusives like Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze,  Bayonetta 1 + 2 + 3, Metroid Prime 4, Toads Treasure Tracker, Super Smash Bros., Mario Tennis (Don't make the same mistake thinking it's a Tennis game and thus not interesting. Mario Tennis is awesome and I couldn't care less for actual Tennis) ARMS, Splatoon 2 and so on...

This may be subjective, but all these awesome Pixel-Art Indie games are coming to life on the Switch screen in a way I couldn't imagine. Plus you can play them on the go and most indie games are perfect for that i.e. Axiom Verge, Owlboy, Celeste etc...

I really mean no offense, but if you can't pick a game form any of those few I mentioned you shouldn't have gotten the system at all. There are plenty of games you can not pick up on PS4.

I got Zelda, played it for a week and sold it. And we're talking 'near release' here, not things that don't even have a release date. Obv there are things on my list like Tensei and maybe Pokemon and Fire Emblem, depending on what they do with them. Mario Tennis looks the same as the 3DS version cause I guess there's not much you can do with Tennis and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 just looks.. really bad. There are plenty of good games on the Switch, just ones that I either already have on PS4 or would rather get on PS4.

I kind of expected a virtual console like every Nintendo console has had since Wii. Yeah, had they announced no virtual console earlier, I probably wouldn't have gotten a Switch. Here's hoping they add more to the Arcade Archives.

3 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

To be frank, it sounds like you either have too narrow a game preference or you just don't know what's available on the eShop. Like futuristic racing? There's Fast RMX, a Nintendo exclusive. Like turn based tactical RPGs? There's Mario+Rabbids, another exclusive. Like platformers? There's Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, jup, only at Nintendo. Want something weirder? Golf Story, Snipperclips, World Of Goo and Runner3 all can't be found on consoles other than Nintendo's. All in all, there's loads of games that could appeal to you, if you know where to look. Just state your gaming preferences in this thread and you'll get a bunch of recommendations from people. Edit: looks like you've already got some basic recommendations from @Stardew Shelly and myself. Tell us which genres you're into and we'll specify

Oh there is loads of games that appeal to me, but I already have them or would rather have them with trophies. Perhaps it's trophies that's helped ruin it for me. Taking a second look at Golf Story though and I'll pick that up, thanks. My tastes are wide enough that the only things it doesn't include are sports, fighting, and most racing games. Looking at a list there are only 31 Switch exclusives, a few of which aren't out yet. Maybe I'm just being impatient, the DS and 3DS both have amazing libraries. Frustration in the meantime is real though.

Cheers, you've made me feel somewhat less negative about the Switch. I'm sure it'll eventually have an amazing library of exclusives.

53 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

I got Zelda, played it for a week and sold it. And we're talking 'near release' here, not things that don't even have a release date. Obv there are things on my list like Tensei and maybe Pokemon and Fire Emblem, depending on what they do with them. Mario Tennis looks the same as the 3DS version cause I guess there's not much you can do with Tennis and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 just looks.. really bad. There are plenty of good games on the Switch, just ones that I either already have on PS4 or would rather get on PS4.

I kind of expected a virtual console like every Nintendo console has had since Wii. Yeah, had they announced no virtual console earlier, I probably wouldn't have gotten a Switch. Here's hoping they add more to the Arcade Archives.

Ok. :dunno:

4 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

First a picture that didn't work, now a post with its content tripled... The site sure has it in for you today :)

Ha, yes. Or I'm just incompetent. I wouldn't rule that out! Anyway, both issues should be fixed now. I never use Facebook for actual posts, but it's the lazy way to save screenshots from the Switch. Facebook is finicky about linking to pictures posted there, so that was the initial problem. I hope that the Switch gets more posting options or has an easier way to transfer pictures (e.g. mounting the picture folder when plugged into a computer via USB, like smartphones do). I remember when PS4 only supported posting videos to Facebook (and Twitter maybe), and that was annoying.

4 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Do you mean you've actually never played through it before? What the hell are you waiting for!? It's an awesome game, I've played through it several times. I think it's basically L.A. Confidential in game form. It's a great noir detective story with some (divisive) twists.

Just remember one thing: when questioning people, the game lets you choose between truth/doubt/lie. This is a change made late in the development process and even in the game itself they're introduced in a different way, but here's what you're actually choosing between, with doubt being the big change:

Truth: you believe what's being said.

Lie: you know that what's being said is false because you have contradicting evidence/statements 

Doubt: you don't have contradicting evidence but you don't believe you're hearing the (full) truth. You'll use psychological pressure to force the interviewee into a truthful statement.

This means that when you choose doubt, you'll get Phelps often shouting at people. Kind of jarring if you don't realise what's the story behind doubt (again, in the game's tutorial the police officer explains the option correctly, it's just the button input name that's misleading).

In the end, L.A. Noire seems like a one-of-a-kind game, and it's certainly worth at least one playthrough of anyone who's even remotely interested in story, noir, police work, classic Hollywood and crime drama.

P.S. pro tip: use the black and white graphics.

I have played a few cases in LA Noire, but it was after I already moved to the PS4, and I think the load times and clunkiness kept me from coming back. I hate to sound like I abandoned the PS3, but it does take more effort to play on the system for me now. It's more likely that I would finish it on the Switch. If it ever dropped to $20 I would grab it in a heartbeat, but it's always higher than that.

It's interesting that you mention the 3 questioning choices, because I am 90% certain I read that they were tweaked for the remastered version.

Also, I agree that it is a one-of-a-kind game, kind of like Quantic Dream games. Also, I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't seen LA Confidential. I think it's on Netflix or Prime Video, so I should watch it. It's on my list, but I haven't gotten to it.

4 hours ago, Asvinia said:

Yeah, I guess it makes sense from Nintendo's perspective, but to many gamers, the lack of a VC on Switch is frustrating. There are a lot of great indie games, and we are getting third party classic games from Capcom and others, but the lack of home console/portable first-party classics is a noticeable absence. It's a good reason to hold onto the 3DS and/or Wii U. It's frustrating to me too, but even without the VC, the Switch has plenty of games to keep me interested.

Oh there is loads of games that appeal to me, but I already have them or would rather have them with trophies. Perhaps it's trophies that's helped ruin it for me. Taking a second look at Golf Story though and I'll pick that up, thanks. My tastes are wide enough that the only things it doesn't include are sports, fighting, and most racing games. Looking at a list there are only 31 Switch exclusives, a few of which aren't out yet. Maybe I'm just being impatient, the DS and 3DS both have amazing libraries. Frustration in the meantime is real though.

Cheers, you've made me feel somewhat less negative about the Switch. I'm sure it'll eventually have an amazing library of exclusives.

Your game tastes are very similar to mine. Those 3 genres are my least favorites also. Golf Story is a lot of fun, and I expect Mario Tennis Aces will be along the same lines - that you don't need to like sports games to enjoy it.

The Switch has a LONG way to go to compete with the DS and 3DS libraries. Even the Switch's biggest fan can't really claim otherwise. In terms of the largest library of great games, the 3DS is probably the top system there is, especially if you include 100% of the DS's library (which is backwards compatible). It also has a very good VC selection.

I think the Switch is more appealing to gamers who can overlook trophies/achievements. Since I have gotten mine, it is my preferred system for every indie game I've bought. If an indie game comes to PS4 first, I almost always wait for the inevitable Switch port now. To me, the flexibility of a hybrid platform for those games outweighs the diminishing appeal of trophies. Obviously that isn't true for serious trophy hunters. I could sometimes get that experience with the PS4 and Vita, but I was surprised at how many indie games were not cross-buy AND cross-save on PS4 and Vita. That gaming environment is inherent with the Switch, which is a huge benefit for me.

Over time, the Switch will grow a large library of exclusives, but a large part of its library is likely to remain indie games that are also on PS4. It will probably never have an exclusive library to rival the DS and 3DS. But it's still a great console and will only get better with time.

• Like 2

Oh there is loads of games that appeal to me, but I already have them or would rather have them with trophies. Perhaps it's trophies that's helped ruin it for me. 

If the trophies is what appeals to you then it does. That is "your" preference to playing games. Do not feel bad about your choice. If you feel the Switch doesn't have much games then it doesn't for you. 

But if you are willing to try a game blind to see how ot is without the random trophy notification, then you can do that to. At the end of the day, it is how "you" play not anyone else.

Do not forget that. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asvinia said:

Couple of things:

Trophies/achievements are fun in theory butI hate how they made me game and giving up on them is among the best four gaming decisions I made in the past few years (the others are pre-ordering the Switch when I wasn't sure about it yet, going all digital on the Switch and buying more indie games before they're reduced ro doing huge sales).

I think there are more fun games available than you realise. I'd advise you to browse the eShop every now and then, you might find something fun. Here's a post I made a few days ago for someone else, you might find it useful:

On 27/05/2018 at 10:23 AM, Cthulhu said:

This is a list of games I own digitally (excluding the games I already mentioned above - I'm going full digital) which I enjoyed a lot. The ones in bold can't be played on a Sony/Microsoft console (don't know what list you have). The ones in italics I've bought on different systems as well (might say something about the quality).

The Fall

The Fall Part 2: Unbound

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Celeste

Skyrim (haven't finished it yet but it looks great)

Goetia (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

FRAMED Collection (haven't finished it yet but fun so far)

Sonic Mania

Völgarr The Viking (haven't finished it yet but wow...)

Golf Story

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Snipperclips (great in co-op)

VS. Super Mario Bros.

Stardew Valley

Death Squared

Forma.8 (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

Axiom Verge

Snake Pass

Yooka-Laylee

Putty Pals (great in co-op)

Kirby Star Allies

World Of Goo

Fast RMX

Thimbleweed Park

Bulb Boy (not on Sony consoles but it's on X1)

Picross S

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive

Oxenfree

Retro City Rampage

Human Resource Machine

The Pinball Arcade

Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon (haven't finished it yet but very good so far)

Runner3

I think we all expected VC. In the meantime, I've realised there's so many other stuff on the Switch that I'm glad there's no VC yet to take my money. Then again, just like @MosesRockefeller the Switch is my preferred console now so I'm getting a lot on there that's also on PS4, like Celeste or Oxenfree. I guess that means I find more use for the Switch than you do, but I hope you'll find the purchase worth it in the end.

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Ha, yes. Or I'm just incompetent. I wouldn't rule that out! Anyway, both issues should be fixed now. I never use Facebook for actual posts, but it's the lazy way to save screenshots from the Switch. Facebook is finicky about linking to pictures posted there, so that was the initial problem. I hope that the Switch gets more posting options or has an easier way to transfer pictures (e.g. mounting the picture folder when plugged into a computer via USB, like smartphones do). I remember when PS4 only supported posting videos to Facebook (and Twitter maybe), and that was annoying.

I use a dummy twitter account - then download the pic to my phone and upload it through imgur.

I have played a few cases in LA Noire, but it was after I already moved to the PS4, and I think the load times and clunkiness kept me from coming back. I hate to sound like I abandoned the PS3, but it does take more effort to play on the system for me now. It's more likely that I would finish it on the Switch. If it ever dropped to $20 I would grab it in a heartbeat, but it's always higher than that.

It's Rockstar; it'll be cheap eventually.

It's interesting that you mention the 3 questioning choices, because I am 90% certain I read that they were tweaked for the remastered version.

I just checked and indeed: Good Cop, Bad Cop, Accuse. Not perfect, but better than it was for sure.

Also, I agree that it is a one-of-a-kind game, kind of like Quantic Dream games. Also, I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't seen LA Confidential. I think it's on Netflix or Prime Video, so I should watch it. It's on my list, but I haven't gotten to it.

Peff. I firmly believe that a lot of people haven't watched the movies that 'everyone should have seen'. I think that by now you can probably say that most people will watch the Marvel movies, but even The Godfather or The Shawshank Redemption (which are much better movies in my eyes than Citizen Kane) have not been seen by nearly as many people who claimed to have seen them. Citizen Kane for that matter, probably even moreso - so many people claiming "you must have seen it" that I have trouble believing they actually saw it - it's a drag. Don't bother.

L.A. Confidential is one of the better noir detective films though, I do recommend it.

The Switch has a LONG way to go to compete with the DS and 3DS libraries. Even the Switch's biggest fan can't really claim otherwise. In terms of the largest library of great games, the 3DS is probably the top system there is, especially if you include the inclusion of 100% of the DS's library. It also has a very good VC selection.

I'll claim the Switch has a better library :) it's a matter of preference; the Switch has stuff like Skyrim, L.A. Noire, Breath Of The Wild, Tropical Freeze... What I'll give the 3DS is Pokémon and Ace Attorney, and both of those will be on the Switch soon. Okay, and VC.

I think the Switch is more appealing to gamers who can overlook trophies/achievements.

And to those who think being able to play the same games on home console and in handheld mode is awesome B)

Also, Nintendo exclusives.

Since I have gotten mine, it is my preferred system for every indie game I've bought. If an indie game comes to PS4 first, I almost always wait for the inevitable Switch port now. To me, the flexibility of a hybrid platform for those games outweighs the diminishing appeal of trophies. Obviously that isn't true for serious trophy hunters. I could sometimes get that experience with the PS4 and Vita, but I was surprised at how many indie games were not cross-buy AND cross-save on PS4 and Vita. That gaming environment is inherent with the Switch, which is a huge benefit for me.

Indeed :D PS4 to Vita was a huge bother to me. It's so easy now...

Over time, the Switch will grow a large library of exclusives, but a large part of its library is likely to remain indie games that are also on PS4. It will probably never have an exclusive library to rival the DS and 3DS. But it's still a great console and will only get better with time.

I think it'll hae a lot of games that aren't on the PS4/X1, it's just that thanks to it being closer to the other home consoles than the exclusively handheld DSeseans that more multiplatform games are being put on there. That's a good thing; the DS platforms have so many exclusives because they're so distinct from others which in the end will mean more exclusives but less overall games.

P.S.

L.A. Noire

I've bought it, it's downloading now. Bring it!

The Way Remastered

I've bought it, it looked interesting enough and should be bug free by now.

Kitten Squad

Hilarious that this is on Switch now. It's free, I advise everyone to give it a try. It's a game made 'by' PETA which immediately made people ridicule it, but it's pretty decent for a free game.

Edited by Cthulhu
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Couple of things:

Trophies/achievements are fun in theory butI hate how they made me game and giving up on them is among the best four gaming decisions I made in the past few years (the others are pre-ordering the Switch when I wasn't sure about it yet, going all digital on the Switch and buying more indie games before they're reduced ro doing huge sales).

I think there are more fun games available than you realise. I'd advise you to browse the eShop every now and then, you might find something fun. Here's a post I made a few days ago for someone else, you might find it useful:

Reveal hidden contents

I think we all expected VC. In the meantime, I've realised there's so many other stuff on the Switch that I'm glad there's no VC yet to take my money. Then again, just like @MosesRockefeller the Switch is my preferred console now so I'm getting a lot on there that's also on PS4, like Celeste or Oxenfree. I guess that means I find more use for the Switch than you do, but I hope you'll find the purchase worth it in the end.

Well I've bought Stardew Valley (again) and Golf Story per your recommendation. I'm having the same issue with trophies, they take a lot of the fun out of the game for me cause I'm playing more for trophies than for fun, but I'm finding 'giving up' on them kind of difficult. I want to move more onto Switch and PC but in the back of my head it's like "but trophiiiies, you could have it with trophiiiiies!"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

I use a dummy twitter account - then download the pic to my phone and upload it through imgur.

That sounds like more effort than I'm doing. Or about the same. I thought Twitter might be easier for me, but I could never get my account to work. Two random spambots signed up with my email addresses and the accounts got inactivated. It was too much trouble to get them fully working again, so I stuck with Facebook (which I got working back before the PS4 had Youtube support).

Peff. I firmly believe that a lot of people haven't watched the movies that 'everyone should have seen'. I think that by now you can probably say that most people will watch the Marvel movies, but even The Godfather or The Shawshank Redemption (which are much better movies in my eyes than Citizen Kane) have not been seen by nearly as many people who claimed to have seen them. Citizen Kane for that matter, probably even moreso - so many people claiming "you must have seen it" that I have trouble believing they actually saw it - it's a drag. Don't bother.

L.A. Confidential is one of the better noir detective films though, I do recommend it.

Well there you go. I haven't seen Shawshank or Citizen Kane, but I HAVE seen Godfather.

I do like noire movies though, so I should check out LA Confidential. That said, Touch of Evil was supposedly a superb movie, and I couldn't get past Charlton Heston playing a Mexican guy. :P

I'll claim the Switch has a better library :) it's a matter of preference; the Switch has stuff like Skyrim, L.A. Noire, Breath Of The Wild, Tropical Freeze... What I'll give the 3DS is Pokémon and Ace Attorney, and both of those will be on the Switch soon. Okay, and VC.

"Better" is indeed a matter of preference. The 3DS's library was very robust in terms of breadth and quality, but it didn't have 3rd-party multiplatform games, that's true. What it did have were tons of great first-party exclusives. I stand by my statement, but I think the Switch's library will only get better with time. And the hybrid aspect is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, thanks for quoting my "includes the inclusion" comment before I corrected that horrible wording. :)

6 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

Well I've bought Stardew Valley (again) and Golf Story per your recommendation. I'm having the same issue with trophies, they take a lot of the fun out of the game for me cause I'm playing more for trophies than for fun, but I'm finding 'giving up' on them kind of difficult. I want to move more onto Switch and PC but in the back of my head it's like "but trophiiiies, you could have it with trophiiiiies!"

It's all a matter of preference, but what I have found in my own gaming, is that I still have one or two occasional games on PS4/PS3/Vita where I'll casually go for 100%, but I am content to stop most games at story completion. That last part is true regardless of platform. But I come across the occasional game where I decide that I'm enjoying it enough to keep playing after the story is done, and that might eventually lead to a Platinum. It's a lot less stressful and more fun for me, but I know it's not realistic for everyone.

• Like 1

Sorry to say but I do not see the 3DS Pokemon games coming to Switch hence why Ultra Sun and Moon is the last games for the exclusivity on the 3DS. 

What we need is an open world Pokemon game like Gale Of Darkness.

Leave the 3DS games alone. Worry only about the Switch. The switch will get new games or ports. If Japan wishes so.

For example Code Princess.

It's coming to Switch as Code Princess DX.

Let them decide not yourselves

I played the one available table of The Pinball Arcade. The last time I played a pinball was probably Pokemon Pinball ^^.

I liked it a lot and want to buy more tables. Because I have no clue which ones are good maybe @Cthulhu can give some advice which pack to buy.

Also I just ordered Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I loved the first one but only played like one hour of Xenoblade Chronicles X. I hope 2 is as good as the first.

1 hour ago, Asvinia said:

Baby steps. Now it's Stardew Valley and Golf Story, next year it's "if it's not portable, I'm not interested" :)

I don't think either @MosesRockefeller or myself expected from ourself just how quickly we came to prefer thw Switch versions of games over the trophy versions, simply because of the portability.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well there you go. I haven't seen Shawshank or Citizen Kane, but I HAVE seen Godfather.

I do like noire movies though, so I should check out LA Confidential. That said, Touch of Evil was supposedly a superb movie, and I couldn't get past Charlton Heston playing a Mexican guy. :P

Shawshank Redemption is great too. Excellent prison drama. I haven't even heard of Touch Of Evil, and as a cinebuff, that's rare for me.

"Better" is indeed a matter of preference. The 3DS's library was very robust in terms of breadth and quality, but it didn't have 3rd-party multiplatform games, that's true. What it did have were tons of great first-party exclusives. I stand by my statement, but I think the Switch's library will only get better with time.

It'll definitely get better with time. It's already amazing if I compare it to how many games of interest the PS4 had for me when it was around the same age. People's views are skewed because Sony and Microsoft stick to each other in regards to console releases and so now Nintendo is the only one with a new console that still has to expand.

52 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Sorry to say but I do not see the 3DS Pokemon games coming to Switch hence why Ultra Sun and Moon is the last games for the exclusivity on the 3DS. 

What we need is an open world Pokemon game like Gale Of Darkness.

Leave the 3DS games alone. Worry only about the Switch. The switch will get new games or ports. If Japan wishes so.

For example Code Princess.

It's coming to Switch as Code Princess DX.

Let them decide not yourselves

This post makes little sense to me, I don't know who or what exactly this is a response to... And it seems to contradict itself by first stating several opinions and then finishing with that we shouldn't have opinions but only wait and see what we get.

46 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I played the one available table of The Pinball Arcade. The last time I played a pinball was probably Pokemon Pinball ^^.

I liked it a lot and want to buy more tables. Because I have no clue which ones are good maybe @Cthulhu can give some advice which pack to buy.

I've bought all the Gottlieb packs, close to half of that was from gold points. I think the Stern table packs are a bit expensive but it's still €3,33 - €4 per table (both packs are the same price but thanks to Frankenstein being free now, one pack only has five tables while the other has six). I'll get all packs eventually, I think, given enough gold points and sales.

Personally, I love playing the game in sideview mode with the camera locked, because it gives a great pinball experience. To that end, it needs tk be said that two Gottlieb packs have an issue on a table that makes it unplayable for me. Both the El Dorado: City Of Gold and the Cue Ball Wizard tables have the sideview camera close to the flippers instead of on an overview, making the tablw unplayable because you only see the middle third of the table. This might be less of an issue with regular unlocked view but that's not how I want to play.

Packs, then. Unfortunately, The Pinball Arcade currently has no rights to sell Bally and Williams tables on the Switch (and the licence will expire within a month or two for other platforms) because the copyright owner decided not to renew the licence. This means that we're left with 32 tables out of the 94 that have been emulated through The Pinball Arcade, missing my personal favourite: Black Knight 2000. Bally/Williams were pretty active with movie/television licences so we're missing out on stuff like Star Trek TNG, The Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Addam's Family and Twilight Zone.

That being said, there's some excellent tables left and there's likely more to come. From what we have now, and what I have played from already (though I tested all my bought tables), I feel like aingling out these:

Gottlieb1

Genie: played it before and it's an interesting older table on which it feels very good to rack up points.

Gladiators is a table that seems overall well reviewed, it does seem well made.

Haunted House is pretty weird because not only does the playing field have three levels, but als it has an insane number of flippers. Pretty cool.

Gottlieb2

Wipe Out: yes, it has 'that' music, if not for long :)

Rescue 911 has an actual mechanical helicopter that, in a certain pit, can pick up your ball and drop it off elsewhere. Seems impressive.

Black Hole may be my favourite machine currently available. It has stuff going on without feeling crowded and the simplistic music helps. It and Haunted House are the only two tables (I think) with a lower level that rolls the other way.

Gottlieb3

Class of 1812 is just off-the-wall zany. Have not spent much time on the other tables of this pack yet, Cactus Jack's seemed fun though. Definitely an overall less serious pack.

GottliebEM

Not going to single out tables on this one. What's interesting about this pack is that it's all EM tables (easy way to remember for those not in the know: these are older tables that can be recognised by their lack of a digital/led screen/scoreboard. No voices or music on these tables...

The Stern packs look interesting but expensive to me, and I'm not all that interested in the other two packs.

So, looking at my own opinions stated like this, I'd say any pack provides a nice and varied selection of tables. If you don't have any opinion on the tables yourself (you could try checking them on YouTube), I'd say go with Gottlieb1 then. It and Gottlieb2 (which I'd put as second to buy) have the cheapest price per table (€1,67) and while I wouldn't classify any of the tables I've played as bad, Gottlieb1 certainly seems to have the largest number of tables that stick with you after playing.

• Like 1

@Cthulhu It's an open opinion.

Do we, the fans, actually have a choice what games we get? Not really.

It really at times doesn't matter if you "ask for somethng" you will get scenario.

Very rare that happens. Hence Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Also other games we getting as remaster, remakes or ports.

So in the end, it really is up to the company to port which game they like instead of trying to firmly say "This is the x not releasing cause it's dead" Scenario.

Like you stated earlier about the Pokemon series. It is what it is. Now it's up to Gamefreak and Nintendo to release it for Switch not just fans ask for VC or ports.

11 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

L.A. Noire. I'm interested in it again now that I have a 400GB microSD card. I was thinking about the game today and it turns outit just entered a 25% off sale on the Switch,bringing the price down to €37,50 (or €2,50 under the PS4 main price). I know it's been €20 on PS4 already but screw it, I'm paying to be able to play it portable on a small screen. The remastered version on PS4 probably only serves to bring out the flaws more to me. I'll probably still buy the PS4 version once it's under €10, L.A. Noire and Portal 2 are the games of the past decade I've replayed the most. @Super-Fly Spider-Guy anything to add on the Switch game?

Your quest to go all digital is ... it's dedicated if nothing else. You must have spent a bit on that 400gb card, and all the other digital surcharges along the way. But bugger it, if you want digi only and you've got the dosh, your commitment is commendable. 

Anyway, if you wanted to break your digi only rule, EB here have LA Noire (on PS4, Xbone, and Switch) for 36 physically. €37,50 in your money is just under 60 of my money, so I could buy the game, ship it to you for a tenner or so tops, and still stand to save almost 20 bucks. But even if I was you, I wouldn't break the digi only mantra to save a few measly bucks. Then again, LA Noire is a huge install either way. 

Moving on from that. Yeah, LA Noire on Switch runs pretty damn well, I still haven't got around to finishing it, last I checked I was like 60/70 percent of my way done with the story. It's a good story and I dig it but tbh I don't really get down with crime movies/shows anymore and I guess the same applies to games, it's one thing to mindlessly blow people up with dildo rockets in Saints Row, it's another to have to physically turn over a bloody corpse and look for clues on who did it. TBH I just like, not depressing things nowadays, so I may not be the best person to ask about the game.

However, what I have played, which was either a good 15 or 20 hours on the Switch, was great. Every now and then a little frame drop or pop in but never enough to throw you off IIRC, everything ran fine and looked absolutely gorgeous on the Switch's little screen, and then even better in 1080 on the tele. All the DLC being included is cool too. It really just depends on if you wanna spend the dosh to replay it. I bought my PS3 copy years ago for 3 bucks preowned, then spent 50 day one for my physical Switch copy, factor in the DLC, the updates, the fact I really really wanted an open world car game on Switch, and I managed to convince myself it was worth it, if you can do the same too, you should love it, but if you get stuck thinking it's not 100% worth it, maybe don't get it? At least not yet, it's not GTA V, I can't see it holding it's price forever.

14 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

I'm wondering about everyone here who buys mainly physical: how do you take your games with you when you play on the move (or do you even play on the move at all)? Do you have a Switch carrying case with room for games, or do you have a bunch of those plastic holders?

I have over 40 odd digital titles at least, probs more now, considering a few things were under 2 bucks in the last week or so and I splashed. But generally, if I'm out and playing the Switch (which I'm not doing so much at the moment due to exams and not wanting the temptation to play games and shit instead of doing some work), I'm just playing one game at a time... or do you play 3 or 4 in one sitting? Like I've got a bunch on the go at once, no doubt, but I mean if I'm going out for an hour or so on a train and bus and all that to somewhere, I'd just play the one game, I wouldn't play for five minutes, and then switch to another, and if I did, I still have those digi games to pick from anyways. That being said, I've taken my Retro Mini, and amazingly even my 2DS out with me more than the Switch lately. The Retro Mini needs no explanation, the thing's a badass, but the 2DS is mostly because I finally bought a copy of Mario 3D Land the other day when it hit Nintendo Selects and was no longer 60 DOLLARS FOR A PORTABLE GAME FROM 2011 COME ON NINTENDO.

12 hours ago, soniq said:

I don't trust Nintendo with digital. They have to prove to me first that I'm actually building a library, not just getting games that I lose when the hardware dies and that I'll be able to play on their future systems aswell.

Not just that, Nintendo have wiped stuff from people's accounts while the systems are still supported without reason or explanation. I myself realized I was a victim of this recently with Wario Ware Touched, the DSi Wario Ware thing they gave out a while back through My.Nintendo. I (more realistically, my baby) lost my N3DSXL a good while back and I ended up trading in some old DS games I got for free off a dude for like 120 credit, bought a new 2DS (not a New 2DS though, good naming) with built in Mario Kart for 100, and rolled with it. Was happy until I went to redownload all my games, most of them were there (from memory anyway) but Wario Ware was nowhere to be found, only realized it when they announced the new Wario Ware for 3DS and I wanted to go play that one. Did some Googling and it has happened to a fair few other people too. Not to mention all the Nintendo Switch games that had demos, then removed demos, and now I can't redownload them because they don't go in your download list for some reason (I'm looking at you, Super Beat Sports, and the excellent Chromagun demo that I loved but wasn't gonna pay 30 bucks for the full thing).

Long story short, you're not entirely wrong to be skeptical of Nintendo and digital games. 

11 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Well, on the Switch you DO have an account to which the games are tied now. Don't know why they should prove that you can play games you buy on future systems when PS3->PS4 does not have that either, except with a rare few cross-buys.

11 hours ago, soniq said:

Because it's 2018 and I expect that going forward. Also, I got burned by losing all of my Virtual Console games on my old Wii and swore to never use their marketplace ever again. Or at least not until I'm 100% sure that the money will not be completely wasted.

Saying "PlayStation don't do it" isn't really an argument when you consider they used to on literally every system up to the PS4's release. In the context of Virtual Console, which is what we're talking about, Sony only really had the PS1 and PS2. PS2 obviously couldn't be handled by PSP and arguably by Vita either, but the PS1 could. And the PS1, for years was as simple as "Buy it now, play it anywhere" ... Buy a PS1 game on your PS3, download it on your PSP and cross save on the train, oh you bought that new Vita we dropped and don't have a tonne of games for yet? Why not play some Spyro and Crash while you wait for the AAA Sony games that will stop after like 2 years. Not to mention the whole thing of Xbox striving to make 3 generations of physical games and digital games compatible on their latest console, so it's not as if *no* competitors partake in it.

On the flip side, to comment two, well, expect something consumer friendly in one hand and shit in the other and see which one gets filled first. It sucks that you lost your VC games, but when the Wii came out, and VC with it, there wasn't even another console planned yet. There was nothing. You bought games for the Wii, and you got them, you knew what you were getting into, it would be nice if it was a one time license for all future Nintendo systems too, but they never sold you that, and you never got ripped off for not getting it. In fact, AFAIK there was a nominal upgrade fee to bring them all over to the Wii U anyway.

So to both of you, now you both win. No Virtual Console branding, no giant umbrella under which all the classics falls means for Call of Cthulu that it has no real reason to have people expect their old games to carry over because the service shares the same name, and for Soniq, the brand who made my first flat screen TV, now you can rebuy classic games without any expectation that they will be coming over to your next Nintendo machine. Now everyone loses!

PS. If you want to take your games with you into the future, maybe buy a damn Xbox. 

2 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Baby steps. Now it's Stardew Valley and Golf Story, next year it's "if it's not portable, I'm not interested" :)

I don't think either @MosesRockefeller or myself expected from ourself just how quickly we came to prefer the Switch versions of games over the trophy versions, simply because of the portability.

Oh damn, I just realised that I could have portable Pillars of Eternity. That's something else to be excited about.

11 hours ago, soniq said:

I don't care about them remastering anything. I just want the new systems to run the old games at least at equal performance. I expect that when I buy a new phone or computer too, so I think that consoles should do that too if they are all running on similar architecture now.

If Sony decide to use AMD chips again, which is highly possible, I fully expect PS5 to run PS4 games in boost mode plus, or whatever they are going to call it.

If you look at what MS does with backwards compatibility, my hope is that Sony will want to do that aswell. Current PCs also can run PS3 emulators and play Demon's Souls with better framerates at higher resolution that the PS3, so I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to get that in there aswell.

The keyword there is *now* ... because they didn't run on anything similar before. Even the Wii/U and 3DS are entirely different to the Switch, so expecting BC in the future is one thing, and one thing I think you're honestly right to expect after what MS has done, but being "burned" for not getting it on previous generations that have nothing in common beside the company who made it's name on the box, not really justifiable. 

I would bloody well hope so. But as for that emulator, isn't Demon's Souls one of like 10 games TOTAL that run on it at all IIRC? Not really comparable to shoving your disc into the new console and having everything work out the gate.

Lol, my posts got sep'd by someone else. Shieeeeet.

6 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

@Cthulhu It's an open opinion.

Do we, the fans, actually have a choice what games we get? Not really.

It really at times doesn't matter if you "ask for somethng" you will get scenario.

Very rare that happens. Hence Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Also other games we getting as remaster, remakes or ports.

So in the end, it really is up to the company to port which game they like instead of trying to firmly say "This is the x not releasing cause it's dead" Scenario.

Like you stated earlier about the Pokemon series. It is what it is. Now it's up to Gamefreak and Nintendo to release it for Switch not just fans ask for VC or ports.

I actually think listening to fans can be a great business tactic. It can help with seeing what people want from your game. Large companies all have testing panels, and independent developers have Q&A's and other means of discussing with fans.

Not that fans always know what they want, but games often end up for the better. The creator of Stardew Valley, for instance, discussed a whole lot with the game's audience about what should be in the game and how it should work, and it ended up as a bestseller.

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Your quest to go all digital is ... it's dedicated if nothing else. You must have spent a bit on that 400gb card, and all the other digital surcharges along the way. But bugger it, if you want digi only and you've got the dosh, your commitment is commendable. 

The card was actually reasonably priced at the moment, which is why I got it now. Per GB it was about the same as my 128GB card last year, and the higher cards aren't usually thus cheap.

All it costs me extra next to that is that I can't sell games on again, then again most of the games I've bought on Switch are digital only anyway. It's with games like Skyrim and Mario Kart where I'm thinking I'll be playing that for years down the line, so I don't know what use physical would be for me for such games.

Anyway, if you wanted to break your digi only rule, EB here have LA Noire (on PS4, Xbone, and Switch) for 36 physically. €37,50 in your money is just under 60 of my money, so I could buy the game, ship it to you for a tenner or so tops, and still stand to save almost 20 bucks. But even if I was you, I wouldn't break the digi only mantra to save a few measly bucks. Then again, LA Noire is a huge install either way. 

Yeah, L.A. Noire being a big install even with cartridge is one of the two reasons why I'd never get it physical, the other reason being it's another game that I'll play for years down the line.

Moving on from that. Yeah, LA Noire on Switch runs pretty damn well, I still haven't got around to finishing it, last I checked I was like 60/70 percent of my way done with the story. It's a good story and I dig it but tbh I don't really get down with crime movies/shows anymore and I guess the same applies to games, it's one thing to mindlessly blow people up with dildo rockets in Saints Row, it's another to have to physically turn over a bloody corpse and look for clues on who did it. TBH I just like, not depressing things nowadays, so I may not be the best person to ask about the game.

I'm still into depressing stories, as long as I can watch/read/play some positive stuff too.

However, what I have played, which was either a good 15 or 20 hours on the Switch, was great. Every now and then a little frame drop or pop in but never enough to throw you off IIRC, everything ran fine and looked absolutely gorgeous on the Switch's little screen, and then even better in 1080 on the tele. All the DLC being included is cool too. It really just depends on if you wanna spend the dosh to replay it. I bought my PS3 copy years ago for 3 bucks preowned, then spent 50 day one for my physical Switch copy, factor in the DLC, the updates, the fact I really really wanted an open world car game on Switch, and I managed to convince myself it was worth it, if you can do the same too, you should love it, but if you get stuck thinking it's not 100% worth it, maybe don't get it? At least not yet, it's not GTA V, I can't see it holding it's price forever.

Yeah it'll be cheaper eventually, on the other hand it's good to show a company like Rockstar that people will buy this game on the Switch before it's a one digit price, and now I have a huge game for my summer holiday, along with a few platformers and some pinball machines. And yeah, I bought the game on X360 day one and paid for all DLC, later got the complete edition on PS3 for €5 or so and now I'm paying big again to get it portable (and to make my PS3 one step closer to being obsolete).

I have over 40 odd digital titles at least, probs more now, considering a few things were under 2 bucks in the last week or so and I splashed. But generally, if I'm out and playing the Switch (which I'm not doing so much at the moment due to exams and not wanting the temptation to play games and shit instead of doing some work), I'm just playing one game at a time... or do you play 3 or 4 in one sitting? Like I've got a bunch on the go at once, no doubt, but I mean if I'm going out for an hour or so on a train and bus and all that to somewhere, I'd just play the one game, I wouldn't play for five minutes, and then switch to another, and if I did, I still have those digi games to pick from anyways. That being said, I've taken my Retro Mini, and amazingly even my 2DS out with me more than the Switch lately. The Retro Mini needs no explanation, the thing's a badass, but the 2DS is mostly because I finally bought a copy of Mario 3D Land the other day when it hit Nintendo Selects and was no longer 60 DOLLARS FOR A PORTABLE GAME FROM 2011 COME ON NINTENDO.

Yes, I tend to Switch switch games often, even when playing for a little bit. Do a chapter in Donkey Kong, then a pinball table, then a chapter in Celeste.

I got Super Mario 3D Land for free with my 3DS, fun game.

... Buy a PS1 game on your PS3, download it on your PSP and cross save on the train, oh you bought that new Vita we dropped and don't have a tonne of games for yet? Why not play some Spyro and Crash while you wait for the AAA Sony games that will stop after like 2 years. Not to mention the whole thing of Xbox striving to make 3 generations of physical games and digital games compatible on their latest console, so it's not as if *no* competitors partake in it.

How it could have worked though, is Sony releasing emulation programs so all discs from any earlier generation could still be used.

But people will pay for the same games over and lver agajn, it's what remakes and ports and PS1 on PS3 and PS2 on PS4 and VC have taught us.

PS. If you want to take your games with you into the future, maybe buy a damn Xbox. 

I almost did a few times, but all I'd play on it is only games I already played. Alan Wake and Jet Force Gemini. A couple of games I loved on X360 are not on X1 and never will be.

Microsoft really has nothing worthwhile in exclusive titles compared to Nintendo or Sony.

5 hours ago, Asvinia said:

Oh damn, I just realised that I could have portable Pillars of Eternity. That's something else to be excited about.

See? You'll get there :D give it some time, the Switch is still young. All the PS4 had for me in the first year was two Assassin's Creed games (one of which was on the previous gen as well), The Last Of Us Remastered (from last gen), Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor and Alien: Isolation.

54 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

I literally just pre-ordered 

Let's Go Pikachu 

Let's Go Eevee 

xD

For me and my boyfriend to play. He will literally buy a second Switch for that reason xD

Wait wut... That rumour was real?

... Bit if digging later and apparently there's a new core Pokémon game in 2019, and Let's Go is more of a thungie in between.

That's cool. If it was just Let's Go, that would have been a bit of a bummer. It's silly to have the Pokémon Go mechanics in a mainline game, not having to do battle with the wild Pokémon but seeing as there's a new core RPG still coming, I can dig it. So basically, the Let's Go games are remakes of Pokémon Yellow, but with another first mon option and with Pokémon Go catch gameplay.

I'll get Let's Go Pikachu. I wonder how the sales difference will be between Pikachu and Eevee, I get that Eevee takes care of a lot of types but I can't help but feel Charmander or Squirtle would've been a better choice.

Thinking about it a bit and this really is the best of both worlds. Causal gamers, people who prefer Gen1 and people who now know Pokémon through Go get a game that appeals to them, and people who think the franchise should keep evolving without pandering to Gen1 fans get a game that appeals to them. Plus, bringing the first group to the Switch before releasing the core game will probably increase sales. I'll end up with both, I guess.

when the Wii came out, and VC with it, there wasn't even another console planned yet. There was nothing. You bought games for the Wii, and you got them, you knew what you were getting into, it would be nice if it was a one time license for all future Nintendo systems too, but they never sold you that, and you never got ripped off for not getting it. In fact, AFAIK there was a nominal upgrade fee to bring them all over to the Wii U anyway.

True, but the Wii came out 12 years ago and a lot has changed with digital marketplaces and hardware development since then. You are right that I bought the games for my Wii, but I also expected to keep them for my Wii. Like I kept old Gameboy and Super Nintendo games.

Just because we accepted something in the cartridge days, when videogames were still toys and most new systems weren't compatible with the older ones, that changed as soon as manufacturers switched to optical discs and gaming became a cultural phenomenon. And now with digital downloads and similar hardware (it's all AMD or nVidia, no more Emotion Engines and Cells), I expect games to last like any other media. You can still listen to an audio CD or watch a DVD in your brand new 4K UHD Bluray player. Or listen to mp3s you downloaded from Napster in the 90s.

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

The keyword there is *now* ... because they didn't run on anything similar before. Even the Wii/U and 3DS are entirely different to the Switch, so expecting BC in the future is one thing, and one thing I think you're honestly right to expect after what MS has done, but being "burned" for not getting it on previous generations that have nothing in common beside the company who made it's name on the box, not really justifiable. 

I would bloody well hope so. But as for that emulator, isn't Demon's Souls one of like 10 games TOTAL that run on it at all IIRC? Not really comparable to shoving your disc into the new console and having everything work out the gate.

Lol, my posts got sep'd by someone else. Shieeeeet.

The reason PS2 ran PS1 games is that it also had the necessary chips built in. So in that case the hardware was similar, like the first batch of PS3s had an Emotion Engine to play PS2 games, before they switched to software emulation.

Gamecube, Wii and Wii U all ran on IBM PowerPC processors and AMD graphics chips. That's the reason why you could just put a Gamecube disc into your Wii, plug in controllers and memory cards and play the games. It's also pretty much the best example of similar hardware over multiple generations of consoles.

That's why I hope that we'll move in that direction with future consoles since they scrapped their exotic designs for now. :)

26 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

I actually think listening to fans can be a great business tactic. It can help with seeing what people want from your game. Large companies all have testing panels, and independent developers have Q&A's and other means of discussing with fans.

If it was, we would have more terrible games honestly. Me personally, if the fans want a "perfect" game for them, have them develop it. I mean they want it their way right?

26 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Not that fans always know what they want, but games often end up for the better. The creator of Stardew Valley, for instance, discussed a whole lot with the game's audience about what should be in the game and how it should work, and it ended up as a bestseller.

Yea but guess what, everyone kept calling it Harvest Moon right? So how is it it's "own" game if people are comparing it to an already existing game?

Also he got lucked out. Not everyone wins in that category.