Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Typically won't find games cheaper before release.  If you do, it's probably something fishy.

After release, it could be any number of reasons... people who receive unwanted gifts.  People who pick up a game and realize they don't have the time/interest anymore and would rather sell and get some money back.  Not 100% sure if this is how it works, but maybe small time store owners who maybe purchase game orders in bulk and pass the savings on.  People hoping to get their money back but go the "auction" route and realize too late there isn't enough interest for a real bidding war so it sells at a loss (that's probably what happened with my copy of Yoku).

If we want to be overly suspicious, there are probably situations of "hot" items being sold.  No way to tell though, and typically in those cases I'd expect unrealistically low prices and "buy it now" to move them as fast as possible (ie. not waiting around for a 7 day auction to end).

I'd think the "region" thing is more of a tactic with digital games than physical games.

Interesting. I don't think the "buying in bulk" consideration applies though. From what I've read of small game stores, they all struggle with profitability, and they have to plan how many copies of new games to buy in order to balance keeping customers (by having the game available) with having games sitting on shelves and not selling. And I've read story after story about how Gamestop makes all their money with used games, because the markup on new games is negligible.

I figured sellers would be more leery of losing money on eBay now, but apparently not. I have a friend who said it just isn't worth it anymore. I've also had more than one instance as a buyer, where the seller told me "oh sorry, that item isn't available anymore". I guess it's still possible to get good deals if you're persistent though.

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Interesting. I don't think the "buying in bulk" consideration applies though. From what I've read of small game stores, they all struggle with profitability, and they have to plan how many copies of new games to buy in order to balance keeping customers (by having the game available) with having games sitting on shelves and not selling. And I've read story after story about how Gamestop makes all their money with used games, because the markup on new games is negligible.

I figured sellers would be more leery of losing money on eBay now, but apparently not. I have a friend who said it just isn't worth it anymore. I've also had more than one instance as a buyer, where the seller told me "oh sorry, that item isn't available anymore". I guess it's still possible to get good deals if you're persistent though.

I'd assume most of the time, if you're getting a new release at a good (but not crazy low, almost scam-like) price on eBay, you're preying on the sellers who don't mind taking a loss just to get rid of the game and get some money coming back.  Not necessarily stores, but random individuals.  Unwanted gifts, impulse buys, auctions that didn't go how they might've liked, etc.

EDIT: That or online eBay stores that have been trying to sell a certain game for long enough to justify lowering the price, or to beat the competition (if any) for sales.  I wouldn't expect that too shortly after release though.

Edited by Dreakon13

7 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

That stinks.  Not sure where you live.  Canadian maybe?

I'm looking at Gamestop here in the US and the physical PS4 copy is $29.99, Switch copy is $34.99 (so $5 more)... and the Nintendo Store digital says a base price of $24.99, currently marked down to $19.99 as pre-order incentive.  So $15 more for the physical Switch copy vs digital, but if you don't count the sale price (which is really more of a preorder bonus than a real price markdown) then it's only $10 more.

Which all seems fairly normal to me.  Though I don't understand why the Switch Tax happens in general.  Maybe manufacturing costs of the cartridges are higher.

Either way, didn't stop me from preordering from Gamestop. xD

I read that the cartridges are quite expensive. They are special media and not just a normal Blue Ray disc like on Playstation for example. The cartridges are manufactured by Nintendo and they want mony for them. The publishers have to buy them from Nintendo. The higher the storage space the more they cost. That's also why some game need to download a part. The just bought the smaller cartridge and publish the rest of the game as an update. I think that was the case with L.A. Noire.

10 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

First game with the dreaded Switch Tax that I've encountered in a while.

30 digital, I don't mind 10 more for physical but twice the price is too much. I'll be grabbing it digital unfortunately.

Screenshot_2018-08-01-18-53-43.jpg

God damn....just look at that price difference between the Switch and PS4 versions of the same game. ? People go on about FPS and graphical comparisons as the main reason why third parties sometimes struggle on a Nintendo system compared to PS4/XBone. Honestly, I think THIS right here is the main reason that needs to be addressed.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I am somewhat afraid to ask (sometimes people are better off not knowing :) ), but this is not the first time I've seen you mention getting eBay deals on new games. What is the story there? Are the sellers buying these games in different regions where the exchange rate is favorable? From what I understand of retail, the markup on new games is razor thin. So where is the profit for the seller in this?

Ironically there is a person on Ebay selling Mario Tennis Aces for 45.99 and I had a little bit of ebay bucks brought it down to $39 with free shipping. Sometimes I am lucky? I got I am Setsuna like that. It was $39.99 with free shipping as well. Just have to stalk I guess lol

10 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

God damn....just look at that price difference between the Switch and PS4 versions of the same game. 1f630.png People go on about FPS and graphical comparisons as the main reason why third parties sometimes struggle on a Nintendo system compared to PS4/XBone. Honestly, I think THIS right here is the main reason that needs to be addressed.

Yup.

Victor Vran, quite a fun little game, is 70 AUD digital on Switch in a month or so when it drops.

...picked up a brand new PS4 disc copy for $4 with some cool physical bonus content too at EB a month or two back. Sure, that was a clearance item, but even then, it was only 20 normal price anyways.

Well, I bought a couple of games again thanks to the sales.

• Binaries: publisher also has Subsurface Circular which I enjoyed and Binaries seems to be a fun game
  • Typoman: got this recommended by a few people, seems to be a cool puzzle/platformer
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole (Gold Edition): This needs some more explanation. I did with this game what I usually do with AAA games I want on PS4; buy the collector's edition, play through the story once and sell the game when it is still worth something. Then, if I enjoyed the game enough, I'll rebuy it once it's cheap and play it again, maybe go for the platinum and/or DLC. However, once it was revealed tobe in the works for the Switch,I kind of really wanted it on there. Now with the second DLC released, the gold edition on a good sale and it being about ten months since I first played the main game, I decided to jump in.

I'm currently enjoying Banner Saga 2 (having also already bought the third game, great series), Captain Toad (towards the final levels of the second book now) and Mega Man X1.

On 30/07/2018 at 1:42 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

d00ds, help me out.

I'm going through my Switch backlog and getting ready to try to take on one game at a time. I have it all written up because fuck knows I love my lists (ironically it's written in a Sega Game Gear themed notepad) and I've decided I won't be including free to play games in the list (yet anyway) but the real dilemma for me is games that don't *really* have a way to finish them.

Games like

Rocket League

FIFA 18

Astro Duel Deluxe

Vaccine

and so on...

Rocket League I could arguably say I've won because I've completed an offline season but it's not like that's really that much of anything. Astro Duel is a one mini game kind of game, you beat a round in the game and you've seen all it has to offer, does that mean I've finished it, even though it only took two minutes or not? Vaccine you can sort of win but it's just a randomly generated quest to find some antidote every time, can you really win something that is designed to be done over and over, and to be different each time? 

Games like these, and many others I have, should I count them as having been beaten, or should I just put a different color line through them and say they can't *really* be beaten, or what? Am I reading too much into this, most definitely, but in the interests of getting rid of the backlog, it's something I am going to have to think about eventually.

I'd say they're 'done' if you feel like you're done with them and have a decent amount of time spent on them. Like, minimum five hours, maybe ten for games over €30?

21 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

First game with the dreaded Switch Tax that I've encountered in a while.

30 digital, I don't mind 10 more for physical but twice the price is too much. I'll be grabbing it digital unfortunately.

Screenshot_2018-08-01-18-53-43.jpg

19 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

The only normal retail for a Switch-game which I saw so far and that was way overpriced was for Yoku's Island Express. The download costs 20 Euros, the retail for PS4 and X1 is priced at 30 Euros, and for the Switch-version all stores demand 40 Euros. It surely was an enjoyable game but I honestly can't think why anyone should pay 20 Euros more just to get the game as a physical release.

Worst physical to digital shenanigans I ever saw was with The Last Tinker. The game was released as €15 on PSN. Then, the game was released on disc, apparently because fans were asking for it (don't know how many fans the game has, I've played it and it's pretty dull). It was then released on disc for either €30 or €40, I forget (and can't find it online) but at least double the digital price. When the physical version was released, the digital version's base price was upped to €20 for a while so the difference would seem less. However, before the physical version was revealed the game had already been on multiple PSN sales, and I had indeed bought it digitally on a sale for €4 before the physical version was even mentioned.

Personally, I think a bunch of these retail releases for smaller previous digital-only games bank on people who ignore the digital shops and just go to brick and mortar stores. I was like that eight years ago, even bought the Arcade version of the X360 because I figured I'd never buy a digital game anyway, but times have certainly changed. I've compared digital/physical prices for a while but with thw Switch also being a handheld, it's just too easy to go all digital and have every game with me without the need to drag around over thirty cartridges (I actually don't know how much games on my Switch could have been bought physically, only one I got after the initial release was Mario+Rabbids for the collector's edition).

3 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Personally, I think a bunch of these retail releases for smaller previous digital-only games bank on people who ignore the digital shops and just go to brick and mortar stores.

Honestly, most brick and mortar shops around here get maybe one copy of these smaller indie games to sell (so few they have to open and display the one "new" copy they received as has happened to me with games like The End Is Nigh on Switch and Agony on PS4).  They produce so few copies and anticipate selling so little from each shop that I doubt they're "banking" on anyone for anything in those cases.  The markup for physical is likely due to the overhead of manufacturing costs sure, but also to balance out the limited nature of their production runs.  ie. Selling 1 thing for $60 is the same as selling 5 things for $12.

Though they probably see considerably better numbers from online shops like Amazon.  And it may be why groups like Limited Run Games are so sought after to publish games these days, since that's basically a guaranteed 2000-4000 sales in one day, or one weekend.  There are a lot more people window shopping via social media and "You Might Also Like" lists these days than physically walking into stores.

Edited by Dreakon13

I see Salt and Sanctuary is out for Switch. I played the PS4 and Vita versions for a Kill Your Completion event here, but I only played for a few hours. I liked some things but hated others. My number one negative was the complete lack of a map. I was really apprehensive about the unique map system in Hollow Knight, but I turned out to be partially wrong (I think I would still have preferred a Super Metroid style map available from the start, but I eventually came to tolerate and somewhat appreciate the map system HK had). I still haven't played Owlboy, so I'm holding judgement on that one. But the lack of a map in S&S is a definite negative point for me. I think the developer left out a map just to make the game seem more like Dark Souls, but as I've seen pointed out many times, in 2D the player can't rely on landmarks to find previous areas. In a game with punishing deaths and usually-slow progress through areas, the lack of a map is extra annoying. I definitely won't be getting the Switch version. It's a shame, because I think Salt and Sanctuary had a lot of promise. I liked the combat in it, and I would actually enjoy the game if it had an in-game map. As it is, it's not worth my time with so many platformers that are more enjoyable for me.

I also saw that Yoku's Island Express has a demo now. I'll try that out tonight. I'm already 75% sold on getting the game, but the demo will probably push me over to a purchase.

I bought Picross S2 and Iconoclasts on the eShop last night. Picross S2 is more nonogram goodness along the lines of S1. The new Clip Picross mode is neat, but I haven't unlocked a full frame yet. I think the individual puzzles link together to create a picture. I haven't started Iconoclasts yet, but I'm planning for it to be my next platformer addiction now that I've finished Hollow Knight (I finished the main story, there is a lot of additional content that I'll dig into when the next expansion is out).

I also ordered physical copies of Kirby Star Allies and Sushi Striker because they were around 50% off at Best Buy and Amazon, respectively. I enjoyed both demos and 50% dropped them down to prices I was willing to pay for "high quality but not quite top-tier" first-party retail games. Mario Tennis Aces is in the same category for me.

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I haven't started Iconoclasts yet, but I'm planning for it to be my next platformer addiction now that I've finished Hollow Knight (I finished the main story, there is a lot of additional content that I'll dig into when the next expansion is out).

Have fun with Iconoclasts. I played it on Vita a few months ago and overall I enjoyed it. But I haven't finished it as you are forced to play with some specific characters near the end and I totally disliked the playstyle. Another thing I disliked was the convoluted story. It's somehow rather hard to follow and it didn't really make any sense to me. But maybe that was also related to the choppy translation. The game uses the system language by default (no option to choose it) and I tend to prefer my systems in my first language.

14 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Have fun with Iconoclasts. I played it on Vita a few months ago and overall I enjoyed it. But I haven't finished it as you are forced to play with some specific characters near the end and I totally disliked the playstyle. Another thing I disliked was the convoluted story. It's somehow rather hard to follow and it didn't really make any sense to me. But maybe that was also related to the choppy translation. The game uses the system language by default (no option to choose it) and I tend to prefer my systems in my first language.

Thanks. Somehow I missed that there was a Vita version. Oh well, the shoulder buttons are more comfortable on the Switch so it's a better experience overall for me.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

21 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh well, the shoulder buttons are more comfortable on the Switch so it's a better experience overall for me.

Matter of opinion I would say. :P For me there's no real difference between the Vita's shitty shoulder buttons and the shitty shoulder buttons on the Joy-Cons. Comparing only the handheld-aspect I still prefer the Vita as it's more ergonomic for me but the Switch at least has a better position for the speakers and some dedicated secondary shoulder buttons and no stupid  rear touchpad.

28 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Matter of opinion I would say. :P For me there's no real difference between the Vita's shitty shoulder buttons and the shitty shoulder buttons on the Joy-Cons. Comparing only the handheld-aspect I still prefer the Vita as it's more ergonomic for me but the Switch at least has a better position for the speakers and some dedicated secondary shoulder buttons and no stupid  rear touchpad.

I did say it's a "better experience overall FOR me". :) And yeah, the L1/R2 buttons are "just okay" on both Vita and Joy-Cons. I wouldn't say shitty, but I wouldn't say great either. I do like the small size of the Vita sometimes, but not always. And yeah, the accursed rear touchpad... ugh.

Speaking of shitty buttons though: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/3/17647048/nintendo-switch-hori-d-pad-controller-review

Has anybody bought one of these D-pad Joy-Con "replacements"? The negatives vastly outweigh the positives in my opinion. Even without the battery drain - no wireless, no rumble, no motion control... why did they even make this thing? Also, as someone who has used the standard Joy-Cons for several platformers on Switch, I can honestly say I haven't had a problem with the "non D-pad". It works just fine for me in Hollow Knight and many other games. A true D-pad would probably be better, but I do pretty well with the "fake" one.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

4 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

did say it's a "better experience overall FOR me". :) And yeah, the L1/R2 buttons are "just okay" on both Vita and Joy-Cons. I wouldn't say shitty, but I wouldn't say great either. I do like the small size of the Vita sometimes, but not always. And yeah, the accursed rear touchpad... ugh.

I was fully aware that it was your opinion. Maybe I shouldn't have started with "matters of opinion I would say". Sorry for that. 

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

why did they even make this thing?

Due to those limitations I would say it's solely for those games that can't get used to the fact that there's no interconnection between the D-pad directions when playing mobile. Personally I have no problem with that so I can't judge whether there's really a need for such a special case controller. I actually prefer it when there's no or barely any connection between the directions as that reduces the amounts of presisng a direction by accident. But it also makes it a bit harder to perform diagonal movement. 

Forgot to mention, don't buy 1979 Revolution.

Decently okay walking sim, it's fundamentally fine, the story is interesting enough and the game works properly with no glitches.

However it's at most like 2 hours long and the story ends so abruptly with no *real* ending or resolution, not to mention the progression of the story is handled similarly poorly, one minute you're doing this, five minutes later you're leading a revolution and next minute it's all over. It's just, the pacing absolutely kills it. I'm fine with it being 2 or 3 hours if it's a really well told story and what with all the multiple choices you can make, I'm sure you can (and I definitely will try to) make several different outcomes happen with the characters and that's all hunky dory but the the pacing is just so off, and that wouldn't be *such* an issue if it was about twice the length. If there was more filler in there to make things actually happen at a speed more realistic than "half an hour in being heavily involved with the revolution and people you've only just met five prior" speed, I'd enjoy it a LOT more. I mean, that's just an opinion and all, but 20 odd bucks for a poorly paced interactive animated movie (which is what this really is, it's a fraction as interactive as even the laziest Telltale Game) is just not worth it. 

Do I regret it? No, I enjoyed it and I'll replay it a good few times because of said enjoyment, I'd expect to get a good ten hours out of it by the time I'm done replaying a couple times and reading all the tidbids you unlock and whatnot, so at two bucks an hour, I can live with the purchase, but I just can't recommend it due to the SEVERE pacing issues, they really do bring the game down way lower than it deserves to be.

AFAIK it was a phone game or something before hand, if it's substantially cheaper there, maybe give it a crack? But I just can't say grab it for twenty bones.

Keep your eyes on these guys, giving away free codes to their new game.

Wish I found it before I spent 7.50 on the game tbh, but oh well. It's more fun than it should be and I don't regret the amount spent, but I kinda regret the spending all together when I could have just grabbed a freebie code. 

Anyways, if COD Zombies had a baby with Minecraft you'd end up with something like this, and to be honest, as dumb as it might look, it's a halfway decent multiplayer horde game. https://www.facebook.com/cypronia/?hc_ref=ARQCEfqk0GCzFbxmoRrs1EeF03kaehE4aa7iy-VqPVaypvTc7wvWPb89bjkSeUMJbdA&fref=nf

16 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I bought Picross S2 and Iconoclasts on the eShop last night. Picross S2 is more nonogram goodness along the lines of S1. The new Clip Picross mode is neat, but I haven't unlocked a full frame yet. I think the individual puzzles link together to create a picture. I haven't started Iconoclasts yet, but I'm planning for it to be my next platformer addiction now that I've finished Hollow Knight (I finished the main story, there is a lot of additional content that I'll dig into when the next expansion is out).

I guess we're both getting any new Picross game day one these days. Cool that you enjoyed S1 enough in the end.

I still like Pic-a-Pix too, especially since it also has colour nonograms. But it's obvious that Picross is slicker.

I also ordered physical copies of Kirby Star Allies and Sushi Striker because they were around 50% off at Best Buy and Amazon, respectively. I enjoyed both demos and 50% dropped them down to prices I was willing to pay for "high quality but not quite top-tier" first-party retail games. Mario Tennis Aces is in the same category for me.

I think I've said it before but looking back, I would have not bought Kirby or Mario Tennis at full price. Kirby would've been great at €40, Mario Tennis I probably shouldn't have bought, or should have bought at €20 or so. Miscalculation since I love the only other Mario sports series I've ever bought, Mario Kart.

Thanks. Somehow I missed that there was a Vita version. Oh well, the shoulder buttons are more comfortable on the Switch so it's a better experience overall for me.

15 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Personally the Switch fits much better in my hands than the Vita, the Vita literally pained my hands whenever I played. The damn thing was too small with no good way to rest in my palms and annoying angles for my fingers. The bigger Switch is much better for me, even if in handheld mode the trigger buttons aren't optimally placed for me.

14 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I think I've said it before but looking back, I would have not bought Kirby or Mario Tennis at full price. Kirby would've been great at €40, Mario Tennis I probably shouldn't have bought, or should have bought at €20 or so. Miscalculation since I love the only other Mario sports series I've ever bought, Mario Kart.

Yeah, I remember that. 

So this is weird. Sushi Striker arrived from Amazon today, in a padded mailer, with no sign of tampering. The game box was inside, with no plastic wrap, and the game card was missing. I went back to my order details to make sure, and I bought the game from Amazon itself (not one of those "Fulfilled by Amazon" things where a person uses Amazon to ship something on their behalf). Weird. I wonder if an Amazon warehouse worker stole the game? 

Anyway, I filed for an exchange, and it seems like Amazon will do it. Very weird situation for me. 

26 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I remember that. 

So this is weird. Sushi Striker arrived from Amazon today, in a padded mailer, with no sign of tampering. The game box was inside, with no plastic wrap, and the game card was missing. I went back to my order details to make sure, and I bought the game from Amazon itself (not one of those "Fulfilled by Amazon" things where a person uses Amazon to ship something on their behalf). Weird. I wonder if an Amazon warehouse worker stole the game? 

Anyway, I filed for an exchange, and it seems like Amazon will do it. Very weird situation for me. 

It's possible, some of them suck at packaging things properly too

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I remember that. 

Normally Amazon will just send a replacement. My preorder of AC Origins didn't arrive so I send them a message and got a replacement without problems.

For them it's cheaper to just send it again. In many cases you can even keep things you want a replacement for. I read that Amazon destroys many of it's returns. Especially when you are a Prime member. They don't want to risk losing a customer.

But still, it sucks when such things happen.

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I remember that. 

Makes me recall the guy thinking he bought a PS4, when if he had correctly read the wording of the eBay article he should have noticed he was only buying the PS4's box.

I've done a wee little bit of South Park: The Fractured But Whole and it looks good. I've already played it on PS4 so I'm in no rush to get through it, so now I'm playing it when my wife watches so she can work on her English, which she needs for her major (I want to make it clear at this point that I don't have a wife who is a weird number of years younger than me, she's just taking a follow-up bachelor to her earlier study).

I'll get The Stick Of Truth on the Switch too, even though I've already 100%ed it on X360 on release and on PS3 after I switched to team PlayStation, and even though I still have the PS4 free Fractured pre-order version to get through. I just think the games are that funny. I'll wait until it's €10 or so though.

Picross S 2 is great again. So many hours of puzzling for a cool price.

Banner Saga 2 has me right in making difficult choices again. Great games.

Captain Toad has so much content, I think it's really worth its price. Cool game, and thanks @MosesRockefeller for reassuring that it would be a good buy.

Decided to spend a few minutes on the eShop yesterday and just browsed through the whole list of releases. Found a few interesting things to put on my wishlist like Agatha Knife (linking to Steam as it has the most information about it) and also saw that Pnantom Breaker: Battle Grounds is available for the Switch. :dance:

I was always a bit curious about this game as I like those side-scrolling beat 'em ups from time to time. After hearing that LRG would bring out a physical version for PS4 and Vita I first thought about going for any of those but due to their price politics this would cost me at least $40 (with shipping included) and I honestly don't think that it's worth that much money, even if comes with all the DLC. I also saw that it was available on the european PSN but either I would have to get the vanilla version for the Vita or the enhanced version for PS4 but including the DLC characters that would either cost me ~15€ for the Vita-version or ~20€ for PS4. Seeing that it only costs 8€ on Switch and comes with all DLC right from the start it was a no-brainer to get it there.

Would have done the same with Icey but I got that on PS4 instead thanks to that Double Digital-sale in the US PSN. :D

Also decided to order Super Mario Odyssey yesterday. :dance: I hope I have much more enjoyment with this than with  Kirby Star Allies. It surely looks nice but it feels like the least challenging Kirby I ever played. Kirby-games are rather easy overall in their story-mode (with the occasional difficulty spike when it comes to the last boss) but here it feels like there's no need to think in advance or plan out your abilities as you always have the required abilities nearby when you want to get collectibles etc :facepalm: And I'm in the middle of the second world and already have more than 40 lives. This just make me thing that the whole ordeal of collecting 1-ups is quite anachronistic and IMO more platformers should follow a similar approach to the current Rayman-games: No lives but well-placed checkpoints. I assume the game will also unlock a hard/challenge mode once I finish the story but honestly I don't feel like playing this a second time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

I assume the game will also unlock a hard/challenge mode once I finish the story but honestly I don't feel like playing this a second time

Spoiler

It has an additional "story mode" called "Guest Star!". Here you can play through parts of the game as Dream Friends. The mode itself is about an hour long, but all the screens are just repeats of areas you already played through in the regular story.

The Dream Friends that were added through game updates have several new areas, however the majority of the areas you go through are still ripped from the main game. It's fun to do it once, but I'd never want to do it with every character. (Luckily this isn't required for 100%)

If you can, try playing through it co-op. Completing it unlocks

Spoiler

The Ultimate Choice

I believe. 

Some minor details about the additional mode above, but gave it a spoiler tag in case you didn't want to know.

Edited by SunnyCrappyYT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Some minor details about the additional mode above, but gave it a spoiler tag in case you didn't want to know.

Thanks for this. Doesn't seem like any modes I would be interested in, though. I rarely play any of those additional modes that are unlocked in a Kirby-game as I'm not really into Arena/Boss Rush at all.

And I already thought about playing coop but my girlfriend also feels a bit disappointed in the game while she's playing through it.