Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

14 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I also like how the second episode ends, it's almost a jab at Kirk from the new movies ("you've broken half of our rules? Have your own command!").

I think my reaction of Discovery being terrible is due to me being a lifelong Trekkie. And the paywall doesn't help. I have noticed my British friends are keeping a more open mind (they are also younger so they didn't grow up with TNG and DS9).

A lot of the 2 episodes just felt like it the writers insulting my intelligence. You mentioned the end of Episode 2, and that was a part that pissed me off. During the court martial scene, the 3 judges are sitting in shadows, with their faces barely being lit. If there is any more obvious way to show "oh noes, she's in TROUBLE NAO!!!!", I don't know what it is. I felt like I was watching a meme at that point. Ugh. It may sound like nitpicking, but that's what Trekkies do. 

I also thought the setup was too long. The show is called Discovery, and so far all we've seen is fighting. Also, the USS Discovery hasn't even shown up yet, and who knows if it even will in Episode 3! 

I won't be paying to keep watching, I will watch the show through when the season is done and hopefully CBS comes to its senses about All Access. 

• Having an Exact Time To Failure is annoying, unrealistic and outdated. If it's strong radiation, she's in trouble regardless and it should not be "get back in twenty minutes" but "get back as soon as possible". Unless the space suits can somehow protect you from the radiation for twenty minutes but not a second longer.

Along similar lines, I thought the sickbay part was dumb. Why couldn't Lieutenant "Kill Em All" Michael just talk to the Captain from Sickbay? 

• Seems like it's going to be a big story arc. I would not have minded a series with stand-alone adventures.

Have you checked out the new Seth MacFarlane show "The Orville"? It's standalone for the most part, and it is mostly a drama with a fair dose of humor sprinkled in. I never thought I would say this when I first heard about it, but I'm actually enjoying it a lot. Seth gets what makes Star Trek good, and it's more satisfying to me than Discovery is ever likely to be. And I'm not a big fan of Seth's humor - I liked Family Guy alright before it got canceled (season 1 and 2 I guess), but I stopped watching long ago. Anyway, check this show out if you can. 

5 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Question to those who've bought Rayman. Is it worth the buy? I did buy the game both for my PS4 and Vita, never completed them though lol. I barely use my switch enough as is, but I'm looking for something to play again on the system. Reason why I want to get Rayman is because I don't mind the side-scrolling aspect of the game and such since it's simple. Also with it being priced at $40 should I wait for a price drop if this game were to ever go on sale or should I just buy it now? (or at all lol)

I have only played Rayman Origins, but I think they're similar enough for it to apply. It is a very solid series, but I think $40 is a bit much, especially considering you already have it on PS4/Vita. I would wait for a sale. 

8 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Question to those who've bought Rayman. Is it worth the buy? I did buy the game both for my PS4 and Vita, never completed them though lol. I barely use my switch enough as is, but I'm looking for something to play again on the system. Reason why I want to get Rayman is because I don't mind the side-scrolling aspect of the game and such since it's simple. Also with it being priced at $40 should I wait for a price drop if this game were to ever go on sale or should I just buy it now? (or at all lol)

Thank you guys o/

Depends on how much you love Rayman, I guess. I'm going to buy L.A. Noire right away for €40 even though I played through it twice on X360 (where I bought the game day one and I eventually got the DLC), and twice on PS3 (where I nought the complete version for €6 or so on a sale). I like it enough to want it again for the Switch, and I love Rockstar and would like to see more of them on the Switch so I'm voting with my wallet. I want more of Ubisoft too but I got Mario + Rabbids from them and that was worth it more to me.

I liked Legends a lot, will probably get it again at some point but it doesn't get me riled up enough to pay €40. 

P.S. don't need to defend your choice in games. Rayman Origins/Legends are cool games and 2D platformers in general can be really awesome. Can't wait for Runner3 myself.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think my reaction of Discovery being terrible is due to me being a lifelong Trekkie. And the paywall doesn't help. I have noticed my British friends are keeping a more open mind (they are also younger so they didn't grow up with TNG and DS9).

Diehard fans will always complain, I guess. It certainly isn't as smart a show as, say, Rick And Morty is. I like it when series expect me to keep up instead of when they try to spell out everything for me.

A lot of the 2 episodes just felt like it the writers insulting my intelligence. You mentioned the end of Episode 2, and that was a part that pissed me off. During the court martial scene, the 3 judges are sitting in shadows, with their faces barely being lit. If there is any more obvious way to show "oh noes, she's in TROUBLE NAO!!!!", I don't know what it is. I felt like I was watching a meme at that point. Ugh. It may sound like nitpicking, but that's what Trekkies do. 

I liked the scene because the expectation is she'll just get her own command by the end of the scene, just like Kirk in the new movies, but it doesn't go like that.

By the way, how incredibly obvious was it that her captain would die? Next time when they do this, don't have a "Special Guest Appearance By" credit, nor let her make all the cliché comments in the world to imply that the main character will be captain soon. All that was missing was a "two weeks until retirement" line.

And the death was stupid as well. And senseless as two seconds later our "hero" switches her gun from stun to kill and defeats the purpose of why they were there in the first place.

I also thought the setup was too long. The show is called Discovery, and so far all we've seen is fighting. Also, the USS Discovery hasn't even shown up yet, and who knows if it even will in Episode 3! 

They discovered the mechanical star though, and rediscovered the Klingons. I don't know the USS Discovery or why it should be important.

I won't be paying to keep watching, I will watch the show through when the season is done and hopefully CBS comes to its senses about All Access. 

Certainly not when there's other cool stuff you could watch. Like Rick And Morty, Bojack Horseman...

Along similar lines, I thought the sickbay part was dumb. Why couldn't Lieutenant "Kill Em All" Michael just talk to the Captain from Sickbay? 

Because then there wouldn't be DRAMA. It's also why the first mate and captain go to the enemy ship instead of literally any other two people.

Have you checked out the new Seth MacFarlane show "The Orville"? It's standalone for the most part, and it is mostly a drama with a fair dose of humor sprinkled in. I never thought I would say this when I first heard about it, but I'm actually enjoying it a lot. Seth gets what makes Star Trek good, and it's more satisfying to me than Discovery is ever likely to be. And I'm not a big fan of Seth's humor - I liked Family Guy alright before it got canceled (season 1 and 2 I guess), but I stopped watching long ago. Anyway, check this show out if you can. 

... Is it on Netflix?

I thought The Orville was another movie of his... I usually don't like his live action stuff, I like his humour but in live action he forgets to make enough jokes and spends too much time plotting.

I have only played Rayman Origins, but I think they're similar enough for it to apply. It is a very solid series, but I think $40 is a bit much, especially considering you already have it on PS4/Vita. I would wait for a sale. 

No, Legends is infinitely better because of its final levels in each world. Like so:

2 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

So sorry to go OT but is the new Star Trek on NETFLIX?  I didn't see it in my new releases.

Not in the US, apparently. It's on there for me in the EU.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I liked the scene because the expectation is she'll just get her own command by the end of the scene, just like Kirk in the new movies, but it doesn't go like that.

By the way, how incredibly obvious was it that her captain would die? Next time when they do this, don't have a "Special Guest Appearance By" credit, nor let her make all the cliché comments in the world to imply that the main character will be captain soon. All that was missing was a "two weeks until retirement" line.

And the death was stupid as well. And senseless as two seconds later our "hero" switches her gun from stun to kill and defeats the purpose of why they were there in the first place.

They discovered the mechanical star though, and rediscovered the Klingons. I don't know the USS Discovery or why it should be important.

So, a couple of things. Jason Isaacs (Draco Malfoy's dad in the Harry Potter movies) is the Captain of the USS Discovery, which is the ship the show is named for. From early in production, the producers said "the Captain" wasn't the main character. According to the trailer, she's going to serve under Captain Death Eater on the USS Discovery (which by the way, this theme was done before in Star Trek Voyager). 

To put things into perspective, besides TOS (which just kicked things into gear with its pilot), every Trek show has had a 90 minute pilot that established the basic core of the show. By contrast, Discovery has not even showed us the regular Captain yet, or the ship the show is named for. The serial nature of Discovery is not something I liked in the first 2 episodes, and I think it's only going to get worse. 

... Is it on Netflix?

I thought The Orville was another movie of his... I usually don't like his live action stuff, I like his humour but in live action he forgets to make enough jokes and spends too much time plotting.

No, The Orville is a 45 minute drama/comedy that Seth is making. It's basically a homage/parody of Star Trek, and Seth is a big Trekkie. It just aired its 4th episode. 

You might not like the show since it has more plot than jokes (similar to your complaint about his movies). It's basically Star Trek with dick and poop jokes. 

As for its availability, it's airing on Fox here in the USA. I'm not sure how that translates to the rest of the world, but I know one of my British friends has seen some of it. 

No, Legends is infinitely better because of its final levels in each world. 

Nice, that's good news for me when I finally start playing it on Vita. Of course by then it might be cheaper on Switch, and motivate me to buy it there. 

In other Switch news, I'm still having a blast with my games. I see the developers changed the icon for SteamWorld Dig 2, which is amusing to me. Apparently their are people who actually refused to buy Snake Pass based on its crappy icon change, and the SWD2 devs were probably afraid of a similar silly reaction. Oh well, the new icon IS better. But I am too busy playing the game to care one way or the other. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Planned (as in known) releases next week:

October 2:

88 Heroes: 98 Heroes Edition (NA only, October 10 for EU)

October 3:

Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime (EU/NA)

October 5:

Axiom Verge

Koi (JP only, EU/NA unknown)

Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime (JP)

Tower Of Babel (EU)

Tumblestone (EU/NA)

Volgarr The Viking (EU/NA)

Also, didn't have much time to game on Saturday but I made sure to play some more of Thimbleweed Park and Golf Story.

Sunday will be Kingsmen 2 but also some gaming.

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So, a couple of things. Jason Isaacs (Draco Malfoy's dad in the Harry Potter movies) is the Captain of the USS Discovery, which is the ship the show is named for. From early in production, the producers said "the Captain" wasn't the main character. According to the trailer, she's going to serve under Captain Death Eater on the USS Discovery (which by the way, this theme was done before in Star Trek Voyager). 

To put things into perspective, besides TOS (which just kicked things into gear with its pilot), every Trek show has had a 90 minute pilot that established the basic core of the show. By contrast, Discovery has not even showed us the regular Captain yet, or the ship the show is named for. The serial nature of Discovery is not something I liked in the first 2 episodes, and I think it's only going to get worse. 

Thanks for the info. I'll see how it goes then.

No, The Orville is a 45 minute drama/comedy that Seth is making. It's basically a homage/parody of Star Trek, and Seth is a big Trekkie. It just aired its 4th episode. 

You might not like the show since it has more plot than jokes (similar to your complaint about his movies). It's basically Star Trek with dick and poop jokes. 

Too bad, I like Seth when he gets either political and/or offensive but I don't enjoy the childish stuff as much. Goes hand in hand with me liking 'clever stupid' shows like Rick And Morty.

PICKLE RIIIIIICK!

Nice, that's good news for me when I finally start playing it on Vita. Of course by then it might be cheaper on Switch, and motivate me to buy it there. 

Yeah, buying cross platform stuff on the Switch has become much more appealing than I thought it would be.

Well, I played more of both Thimbleweed Park and Golf Story. I promise to buy Axiom Verge if I complete either of the two games before Thursday.

Thimbleweed Park

Great game, becomes even better once the game opens up beyond the town. Played the hotel part today, and it adds so much to the development of the story... Really amazed by how it's all put together.

Golf Story

Okay, I just adjusted my opinion on the game from "pretty okay for what it is" to "pretty goddamn hilarious", thanks to doing the mini golf and frisbee disc golf parts of Wellworn Grove today (after finishing up at the Lurker area). Give this game a shot, people! (pun intended)

@angelgrievous one think I still don't get: tutorial NPCs for bunkers and tar whine about ZL/ZR but I find I'm managing fine by just shooting like normal. What's that all about?

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, I played more of both Thimbleweed Park and Golf Story. I promise to buy Axiom Verge if I complete either of the two games before Thursday.

Thimbleweed Park

Great game, becomes even better once the game opens up beyond the town. Played the hotel part today, and it adds so much to the development of the story... Really amazed by how it's all put together.

Golf Story

Okay, I just adjusted my opinion on the game from "pretty okay for what it is" to "pretty goddamn hilarious", thanks to doing the mini golf and frisbee disc golf parts of Wellworn Grove today (after finishing up at the Lurker area). Give this game a shot, people! (pun intended)

@angelgrievous one think I still don't get: tutorial NPCs for bunkers and tar whine about ZL/ZR but I find I'm managing fine by just shooting like normal. What's that all about?

I use them from time to time but you can pretty much get by without them.  I think they're mostly for chips but I sometimes use them while putting.  

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Too bad, I like Seth when he gets either political and/or offensive but I don't enjoy the childish stuff as much. Goes hand in hand with me liking 'clever stupid' shows like Rick And Morty.

I think for now at least, The Orville is not really offensive but it has definitely been political in a social sense. It's following in the tried and true Star Trek legacy of tackling social issues hiding as sci-fi stories. Already it's covered gender identity and religious dogma. You should at least check it out. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

31 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think for now at least, The Orville is not really offensive but it has definitely been political in a social sense. It's following in the tried and true Star Trek legacy of tackling social issues hiding as sci-fi stories. Already it's covered gender identity and religious dogma. You should at least check it out. 

Not going to check it out unless it's on Netflix. For us outside of the US it's such a hassle trying to get to see shows, I'm glad there's streaming services these days because our networks advertised for shit, I tried watching 24 but gave up after three seasons because each time they'd wait for months and then suddenly start without promoting it at all. Combined with huge network logos, bad subs and long commercial breaks, I'm not looking at regular networks at all any more.

19 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Not going to check it out unless it's on Netflix. For us outside of the US it's such a hassle trying to get to see shows, I'm glad there's streaming services these days because our networks advertised for shit, I tried watching 24 but gave up after three seasons because each time they'd wait for months and then suddenly start without promoting it at all. Combined with huge network logos, bad subs and long commercial breaks, I'm not looking at regular networks at all any more.

That makes sense. I'll ask my friend how he's watching it but I'm guessing it's not as simple as Netflix. 

Stardew Valley will come to the Nintendo Switch on October 5th, 2017

https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-coming-soon-to-nintendo-switch/

Same day as Axiom Verge.  I hope you all still get Axiom Verge but if you are a collector the Multiverse Edition (http://badlandindie.com/axiom-verge-multiverse-edition/) comes a bit later.  You should still get Stardew Valley though.

-The Switch version will be priced at $14.99 USD.

Edited by angelgrievous

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

Stardew Valley will come to the Nintendo Switch on October 5th, 2017

https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-coming-soon-to-nintendo-switch/

Same day as Axiom Verge.  I hope you all still get Axiom Verge but if you are a collector the Multiverse Edition comes a bit later, which is the one I'm waiting on.  But still get Stardew Valley also.  

-The Switch version will be priced at $14.99 USD.

I like the idea of another art book but I'm not so sure about getting the game physically.

Stardew Valley is the Harvest Moon game, right? Another type of game I never was into but might just like now.

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I like the idea of another art book but I'm not so sure about getting the game physically.

Stardew Valley is the Harvest Moon game, right? Another type of game I never was into but might just like now.

Yeah, it is very much like some Harvest Moon games.  I have it for PS4 but I haven't really dived fully into it due to other games, but I like what I've played so far.

33 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Yeah, it is very much like some Harvest Moon games.  I have it for PS4 but I haven't really dived fully into it due to other games, but I like what I've played so far.

So, how can you say we should all get it if you haven't played it that much? :)

I was aiming to finish Thimbleweed Park before Axiom Verge releases but somehow I ended up only playing Golf Story today, which will probably take a lot longer to finish.

13 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

So, how can you say we should all get it if you haven't played it that much? :)

I was aiming to finish Thimbleweed Park before Axiom Verge releases but somehow I ended up only playing Golf Story today, which will probably take a lot longer to finish.

Well, for a few reasons really.  Of course it's up to you why you buy games but my reasons for recommending the game are as follows:

• support for the devs/Switch development via 3rd parties
  • what I have played (about 3 hours) I enjoyed quite a bit
  • it's gotten a ton of positive feedback from a lot of different sources.

I know you were being tongue in cheek (I think) but that's why.

also, how are you liking Golf Story? 

this won't be a spoiler for you.

Spoiler

I finally figured out how to access the mini golf are but couldn't afford what was available afterwards.  Now I'm still training with coach at Wellworn and trying to build my power up to finish the NPC quest on the far left of the course. 

1 minute ago, angelgrievous said:

Well, for a few reasons really.  Of course it's up to you why you buy games but my reasons for recommending the game are as follows:

• support for the devs/Switch development via 3rd parties
  • what I have played (about 3 hours) I enjoyed quite a bit
  • it's gotten a ton of positive feedback from a lot of different sources.

I know you were being tongue in cheek (I think) but that's why.

also, how are you liking Golf Story? 

this won't be a spoiler for you.

Hide contents

I finally figured out how to access the mini golf are but couldn't afford what was available afterwards.  Now I'm still training with coach at Wellworn and trying to build my power up to finish the NPC quest on the far left of the course. 

Yeah I'm supporting devs but at this point I feel better supporting Golf Story, Thimbleweed Park, L.A. Noire and Axiom Verge than Stardew Valley, The Bridge, FIFA 18 or Butcher.

Stardew Valley doesn't yet appeal that much to me. Perhaps I'd be more into getting a spiritual successor to Sim City. It's just not the kind of game that I can keep up playing for that long.

Loving Golf Story so far, have sunk quite a few hours in it already. Just finished the story at the third area (the one with the birds) and I quit for the day at the start of the resulting challenge at Lurker.

Really glad I gave the game a chance.

• Like 1

Well I finally made it to the final world in Mario+Rabbids. I've completed all challenges and found all collectables in the previous worlds (ok, I still need to open one box in the third world. I know where it is....I just don't know how to get to it). I'm now ready to tackle the final world and complete this adventure before moving onto to Thimbleweed Park. Incidentally, I took the below screenshot when I was playing the game yesterday and I got a good chuckle out of it. I don't know if gear head means something different in other countries or whether Ubisoft managed to slip a drug addiction joke into a Mario game. ?

Image may contain: people sitting and text

53 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

Well I finally made it to the final world in Mario+Rabbids. I've completed all challenges and found all collectables in the previous worlds (ok, I still need to open one box in the third world. I know where it is....I just don't know how to get to it). I'm now ready to tackle the final world and complete this adventure before moving onto to Thimbleweed Park. Incidentally, I took the below screenshot when I was playing the game yesterday and I got a good chuckle out of it. I don't know if gear head means something different in other countries or whether Ubisoft managed to slip a drug addiction joke into a Mario game. 1f602.png

Image may contain: people sitting and text

Don't know what circles you hang around in but a gearhead usually refers to someone who's good with physical technology, occasionally it's specifically used to describe car mechanics.

I had to laugh because of some of the jokes in the game as well.

lol just what I thought. In Ireland, specifically Dublin where I live, the slang term for drugs is "gear" and people addicted to drugs are called "gear heads". I just got a good chuckle when I came across that scene. I have to say I am really enjoying this game. I don't want to put it down. I've clocked in over 30 hours so far and I reckon I have another 10-15 to go before I get that 100% I so desire.

Thankfully Mario Odyssey isn't out until the 27th so I can devote that time between Mario+Rabbids and Thimbleweed Park.

3 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

lol just what I thought. In Ireland, specifically Dublin where I live, the slang term for drugs is "gear" and people addicted to drugs are called "gear heads". I just got a good chuckle when I came across that scene. I have to say I am really enjoying this game. I don't want to put it down. I've clocked in over 30 hours so far and I reckon I have another 10-15 to go before I get that 100% I so desire.

Thankfully Mario Odyssey isn't out until the 27th so I can devote that time between Mario+Rabbids and Thimbleweed Park.

I had in between 25 and 30 hours when I stopped playing. Didn't feel like 100%ing it, only did the first world. I usually never like RTS though and I think it says a lit about Mario+Rabbids that I managed to enjoy it and complete the story.

I have Assassin's Creed Origins at the same time as Mario and I have South Park before that. Might buy Axiom Verge but other than that I'm hoping to finish some of the games I've bought, mainly Thimbleweed Park and Golf Story.

Well it seems the Switch version of Fifa 18 isn't setting the world on fire in terms of sales, at least in the UK. According to reports, the Switch version accounted for 1% of Fifa 18 sales in the UK. That's about 8,000 copies sold to be exact. Now there are a couple of things to consider, 1) the userbase on the Nintendo Switch is still fairly small (~6 million Switches sold worldwide compared to a combined 90 million between PS4 and XBone, 2) the UK isn't, for the most part, a strong territory for Nintendo. It will be interesting to see how stronger Nintendo territories, e.g. France or Spain, fare in terms of Fifa Switch sales.

18 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

Well it seems the Switch version of Fifa 18 isn't setting the world on fire in terms of sales, at least in the UK. According to reports, the Switch version accounted for 1% of Fifa 18 sales in the UK. That's about 8,000 copies sold to be exact. Now there are a couple of things to consider, 1) the userbase on the Nintendo Switch is still fairly small (~6 million Switches sold worldwide compared to a combined 90 million between PS4 and XBone, 2) the UK isn't, for the most part, a strong territory for Nintendo. It will be interesting to see how stronger Nintendo territories, e.g. France or Spain, fare in terms of Fifa Switch sales.

Yeah, I saw that earlier today. Still, 8k copies seemed to be less then 3% of the number of Switch consoles in the UK. It's not counting digital sales though.

I find this a big contrast with Oceanhorn and Wonderboy, whose devs have stated that they sold more copies on the Switch than on the other platforms combined.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/switch_versions_of_oceanhorn_and_forma_8_outsell_console_rivals

It appears that the Switch is a heaven for indie fans, both on the dev and on the userbase side. Third party AAA, not so much. Then again, it's only FIFA we're talking about now. Let's see how L.A. Noire and Skyrim will do.

I finally picked up Has-Been Heroes by the way.

I'm returning it tomorrow. It's not that bad, but it's definitely not my thing, and it's definitely also not that good. I might try it again when it's like 5 bucks, but right now, 18 is too much for me to bother with, 'specially when there's already enough on my Switch's plate as it is.

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

It appears that the Switch is a heaven for indie fans, both on the dev and on the userbase side. Third party AAA, not so much. Then again, it's only FIFA we're talking about now. Let's see how L.A. Noire and Skyrim will do.

I think it's also the early window for the games. I have bought a bunch of games on Switch, mostly indies, and most of which I would have otherwise waited for a sale on or skipped entirely. Not because they're bad, but because I have other shit to do and spend money on. Because the Switch was my new toy I wanted whatever looked halfway cool to play on it and I wanted it yesterday. This led to me buying shit like Lichtspeer, Mr. Shifty, Graceful Explosion Machine, and Snake Pass, to name a few, that I'd have otherwise probably skipped out on, at full price (9 times out of 10 anyway) and early on. A year from now my Switch purchases will probably be more selective. 

When the Switch isn't just a new console with a start up library, and is instead a console with Splatoon, Mario Kart, Super Mario, Zelda, Skyrim, Doom, LA Noire, FIFA, NBA, WWE, and so on, I'll probably be buying a lot less games for it, and I reckon a lot of other people out there would be the same.

Mind you I think the launch library wasn't too bad, and Zelda is a pretty fucking great launch game. I reckon they should have dumped Mario Kart out on launch day though, MK and Zelda day one would be a pretty hard to resist deal for many people.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy but Nintendo isn't going for quickly selling as many consoles as possible, they're going for a couple of big titles each quarter so that people keep using the console and won't sell it or forget about it. Having Mario Kart later on was better in the long run.

Rumours are that Mario was basically ready at launch but that they kept it at bay for over half a year so they'd have something big for the final months of 2017.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah, I saw that earlier today. Still, 8k copies seemed to be less then 3% of the number of Switch consoles in the UK. It's not counting digital sales though.

I find this a big contrast with Oceanhorn and Wonderboy, whose devs have stated that they sold more copies on the Switch than on the other platforms combined.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/switch_versions_of_oceanhorn_and_forma_8_outsell_console_rivals

That's true. Indies do seem to have a great home on Nintendo. If you look at the eshop charts every week they are just full of great indie titles. Every day you hear of more and more indie titles getting announced for the Switch. The indie devs and Switch userbase seemed to have really warmed towards each other but, probably most importantly too, Nintendo themselves are celebrating indies a lot too by dedicating several Nindie Directs throughout the year focused solely on indie releases. This is something that Playstation or Xbox rarely do, mainly because their focus the last couple of years has been about "POWER!!!!!!" and this focus means that small indie titles rarely get a look in.

Third party AAA support is certainly better than Wii U but it still isn't great. Too many devs are "testing the waters" when it comes to the Switch and are surprised when their titles don't sell well. This is probably due to the fact that many of the titles are ports of games already released a few months/years on other consoles so Switch owners probably already got them on those consoles. Add in the fact that certain games, such as FIFA, are missing features on other consoles (such as Journey mode) and you can see why they don't sell that great.

It will be interesting to see how other AAA titles, that are released simultaineosly on the Switch along with other platforms, fare. FIFA might not be doing too great in the UK but that doesn't mean it is a flop in other territories. It could be doing really well but FIFA flopping in the UK makes for a better story for gaming websites which is why we have heard of it. I wonder how NBA is doing on the Switch. Or WWE when it comes out.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I think it's also the early window for the games. I have bought a bunch of games on Switch, mostly indies, and most of which I would have otherwise waited for a sale on or skipped entirely. Not because they're bad, but because I have other shit to do and spend money on. Because the Switch was my new toy I wanted whatever looked halfway cool to play on it and I wanted it yesterday. This led to me buying shit like Lichtspeer, Mr. Shifty, Graceful Explosion Machine, and Snake Pass, to name a few, that I'd have otherwise probably skipped out on, at full price (9 times out of 10 anyway) and early on. A year from now my Switch purchases will probably be more selective. 

Shame about Has Been Heroes. I saw a physical copy back in April and was half tempted to pick it up. But I hadn't seen any gameplay footage and wasn't sure if it would be my thing. Also, I'm surprised you mentioned the games in bold as being "shit". I've only ever heard good things about them. Obviously not every game is considered great by every gamer that plays them but, nevertheless, it is interesting.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Mind you I think the launch library wasn't too bad, and Zelda is a pretty fucking great launch game. I reckon they should have dumped Mario Kart out on launch day though, MK and Zelda day one would be a pretty hard to resist deal for many people.

Obviously a stronger line up is never a bad thing but, honestly, if MK didn't launch at the end of April then there would have been no incentive to pick up a Switch until the end of May or June when the likes of Disgaea, Street Fighter and Arms launched. Sure, there were smaller indie/digital games released in between but, unfortunately, these don't sell consoles. As BillyHorrible already stated, it is a good thing that Nintendo postponed the launch of MK until April.