Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

34 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy but Nintendo isn't going for quickly selling as many consoles as possible, they're going for a couple of big titles each quarter so that people keep using the console and won't sell it or forget about it. Having Mario Kart later on was better in the long run.

Oh I know, and I think that is a good approach, but I also think 2 heavy hitters day one is a better message than here's one and here's another in a couple months. Definitely keep that approach though, of a big hitter every month or every other month. It's gone well so far. Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario and Rabbids, Arms, all with a month or two in between, I think it's genuinely a great approach. There's that many coming out in November that I will have to pick and choose, but if they were all out with a bit more time between them, I would pick them all up day one, or at least more of them. I completely agree with you dude, just that I think MK would have been a fucking great launch game too. Zelda is cool, lots of people love Zelda, but Mario Kart can reach everyone, I have never met a person who didn't like Mario Kart. I know someone who absolutely fucking hates Mario and everything about him, but even she enjoys a bit of MK from time to time. Breath of the Wild, while great and perfectly successful, arguably would have reached less people than a launch day MK, however even then, MK is just a re-release anyway so maybe not, but that's all the more reason I think it should have been day one. Waiting a month and a half for a re-release felt lame.

20 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

Shame about Has Been Heroes. I saw a physical copy back in April and was half tempted to pick it up. But I hadn't seen any gameplay footage and wasn't sure if it would be my thing. Also, I'm surprised you mentioned the games in bold as being "shit". I've only ever heard good things about them. Obviously not every game is considered great by every gamer that plays them but, nevertheless, it is interesting.

Obviously a stronger line up is never a bad thing but, honestly, if MK didn't launch at the end of April then there would have been no incentive to pick up a Switch until the end of May or June when the likes of Disgaea, Street Fighter and Arms launched. Sure, there were smaller indie/digital games released in between but, unfortunately, these don't sell consoles. As BillyHorrible already stated, it is a good thing that Nintendo postponed the launch of MK until April. 

I mean, HBH isn't bad per se, it's just REALLY, REALLY not for me. And that hinders my ability to get into it. I accept and recognize that, you might very well love it, and that's cool too dude. Don't let my opinion sell you on yours. I just didn't think it was that interesting. The concept even was alright, the intro movie got a chuckle out of me, but the gameplay is just too repetitive and not at all fun, for me.

I didn't mean those games were shit. I just meant the limited launch window led to me buying stuff like that, I swear a lot, and that one is very poorly placed, I get that. I used those games as examples of things I'd have otherwise not bought, but ended up LOVING. All those games there, I would wholeheartedly recommend to you right now. Lichtspeer is a bit basic, yeah, but if you know what you're getting in to, it's a blast. The other ones need no defense, there's nothing not to like about them. They're all well made, great examples of what a smaller studio can do, and I'm proud to own each one of them.

I agree, as I said in the little bit above your bubble. And I completely agree they NEEDED something in that April slot, I'm not saying ditch the slot, I'm saying like maybe move up Arms and everything else a few weeks, so MK could be a launch game. The release windows are well designed and I think it's brilliant of them, I just think MK at launch would have been good. Ultimately, shit probably wouldn't have been much different anyway in the long run, so yeah, it was probably best to go the way they did, I just think Nintendo coming out swinging after the Wii U with a brand new Zelda and the biggest MK yet at launch would have been a good image.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Rumours are that Mario was basically ready at launch but that they kept it at bay for over half a year so they'd have something big for the final months of 2017.

Maybe Nintendo was waiting for the right atmosphere to start Nipplegate? After all, all publicity is good publicity! 

Speaking of upcoming releases, I just realized that I still haven't played AC Syndicate, and I preordered Origins (and SM Odyssey). Hmm. 

WELL FUCK ME.

18 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Stardew Valley will come to the Nintendo Switch on October 5th, 2017

https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-coming-soon-to-nintendo-switch/

-The Switch version will be priced at $14.99 USD.

Do you lot know what's special about October 5? Well, I do, now...

October 5 is a day of a full moon. Specifically, it's the full moon closest to the autumn equinox (in the Northern hemisphere).

... There is a name for the full moon closest to the autumn equinox. It is the HARVEST MOON.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/harvest-moon-2

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

WELL FUCK ME.

Do you lot know what's special about October 5? Well, I do, now...

October 5 is a day of a full moon. Specifically, it's the full moon closest to the autumn equinox (in the Northern hemisphere).

... There is a name for the full moon closest to the autumn equinox. It is the HARVEST MOON.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/harvest-moon-2

Okay bb.

A friend of mine REALLY suggested I give Stardew a try. I wasn't gonna cough up the 50 for a physical PS4 copy on someone (I haven't got too many recommendations from before) 's recommendation, but I think it's 17 AUD on Switch and if it is the kind of good he says it is, it could be a welcome addition to my Switch library.

You sound keen, so I'm assuming you've played it before, or at least have some idea about it. You were quite on the ball with World of Goo. If you AND this guy recommend it, I'll pick up Stardew with the money I get from returning Has Been Heroes. 

I'll be buying a bunch of games leading up to Christmas time in all likelihood, then next year I'll go (and try to make) a whole year without buying any games ('sept Spidey PS4) so I'm stocking up for the proverbial winter as it were. Plus next year my course is 2.5 days a week, and another 2 days placement, meaning there'll be a fair bit of transit and break time for my baby Switch.

1 minute ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Okay bb.

A friend of mine REALLY suggested I give Stardew a try. I wasn't gonna cough up the 50 for a physical PS4 copy on someone (I haven't got too many recommendations from before) 's recommendation, but I think it's 17 AUD on Switch and if it is the kind of good he says it is, it could be a welcome addition to my Switch library.

You sound keen, so I'm assuming you've played it before, or at least have some idea about it. You were quite on the ball with World of Goo. If you AND this guy recommend it, I'll pick up Stardew with the money I get from returning Has Been Heroes. 

I'll be buying a bunch of games leading up to Christmas time in all likelihood, then next year I'll go (and try to make) a whole year without buying any games ('sept Spidey PS4) so I'm stocking up for the proverbial winter as it were. Plus next year my course is 2.5 days a week, and another 2 days placement, meaning there'll be a fair bit of transit and break time for my baby Switch.

I'm not keen on the game per se, I'm just geeking out on how fitting that release date is. Honestly, it makes me want to fund this dev.

I don't know a lot about the game except what we talked about in this thread and a gameplay video I looked at, you should look at @angelgrievous if you want a recommendation. Personally, I'm still not sure about the game, mainly because I'm never good at this kind of game - as in, an open sim game without a set ending. I usually need some kind of big finish to work towards; as much as I loved Elite Dangerous, at some point I just stopped playing.

€14 is not that much though, and I'm tempted with getting it just for the hell of it, just like I'm tempted with buying Axiom Verge (though that game should appeal to me more). I'm probably going to focus on other stuff first though. Really loving Thimbleweed Park and Golf Story right now, for instance, and with South Park, Super Mario Odyssey and Assassin's Creed Origins all coming up this month I think I'm not going to buy anything, or at most just Axiom Verge.

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm not keen on the game per se, I'm just geeking out on how fitting that release date is. Honestly, it makes me want to fund this dev.

I don't know a lot about the game except what we talked about in this thread and a gameplay video I looked at, you should look at @angelgrievous if you want a recommendation. Personally, I'm still not sure about the game, mainly because I'm never good at this kind of game - as in, an open sim game without a set ending. I usually need some kind of big finish to work towards; as much as I loved Elite Dangerous, at some point I just stopped playing.

€14 is not that much though, and I'm tempted with getting it just for the hell of it, just like I'm tempted with buying Axiom Verge (though that game should appeal to me more). I'm probably going to focus on other stuff first though. Really loving Thimbleweed Park and Golf Story right now, for instance, and with South Park, Super Mario Odyssey and Assassin's Creed Origins all coming up this month I think I'm not going to buy anything, or at most just Axiom Verge.

While you're right that there is technically no ending, as in you can farm forever, there are goals that you work towards.  You can stop after you reach said goals and as far as I know there is an "ending" cutscene.  

2 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

While you're right that there is technically no ending, as in you can farm forever, there are goals that you work towards.  You can stop after you reach said goals and as far as I know there is an "ending" cutscene.  

Well, games like Elite Dangerous, Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon also have goals to work towards, and I'm guessing most sim building games I never played have too.

Going on a limb here and guessing the 'end' will be much like the intro, except the player character is now the old man (or woman, depending on your choice). Still, it's good to have some form of closure.

... I still think I should not get the game right now. There's too much coming up and too much I've bought but not finished. Odds are I will get Stardew Valley later on though.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Well, games like Elite Dangerous, Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon also have goals to work towards, and I'm guessing most sim building games I never played have too.

Going on a limb here and guessing the 'end' will be much like the intro, except the player character is now the old man (or woman, depending on your choice). Still, it's good to have some form of closure.

... I still think I should not get the game right now. There's too much coming up and too much I've bought but not finished. Odds are I will get Stardew Valley later on though.

Yeah, I completely understand and I'm not trying to push you one way or the other.  

On Axiom Verge however I will say I was very on the fence about it because, like you, I was not too big into the 8-bit style but the game completely opened me up to anything else.  I'm actually still trying to find another experience like it and the best I've come up with is Super Metroid.  I honestly think you would really like it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, angelgrievous said:

Yeah, I completely understand and I'm not trying to push you one way or the other.  

On Axiom Verge however I will say I was very on the fence about it because, like you, I was not too big into the 8-bit style but the game completely opened me up to anything else.  I'm actually still trying to find another experience like it and the best I've come up with is Super Metroid.  I honestly think you would really like it.  

For me, Shovel Knight was the game that got me into forgiving 8-bit games for their graphics as long as their gameplay was sound. It helped that the soundtrack of Shovel Knight was very appealing, and that I could just play in handheld mode, making the graphics much easier on the eyes than with a huge flatscreen television.

Still, I enjoy 16-bit a lot more, which is why I'm looking forward to Shakedown Hawaii even though I never bought Retro City Rampage.

Hey Billy, probably a redundant question as the style looks similar, but I'll ask anyway. Is the Zelda picture in your signature Breath of the Wild? I ask because the costume looks different, but the style looks very similar. Looks damn good.

My copy of Zelda is coming in tomorrow, and it'll be my first Zelda game, so I'm pretty excited to finally see what all the fuss is about.

22 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Hey Billy, probably a redundant question as the style looks similar, but I'll ask anyway. Is the Zelda picture in your signature Breath of the Wild? I ask because the costume looks different, but the style looks very similar. Looks damn good.

My copy of Zelda is coming in tomorrow, and it'll be my first Zelda game, so I'm pretty excited to finally see what all the fuss is about.

Yeah it's Breath Of The Wild, it's actually the first Zelda game where you can collect and wear different kinds of clothing (not counting different coloured versions of the same classic outfit, like in Ocarina), so that's why you don't recognise the outfit.

Hope you like it, they changed a lot to the classic Zelda formula but in my opinion they did keep the heart in there. Personally, I like the Zelda series but the only entries I truly love are Ocarina Of Time and Breath Of The Wild. A Link To The Past is great for its time and has aged well, but I never played it back in the day, I might have liked it more if I had.

Breath Of The Wild is a great game to just go exploring in. Dragons, Lost Woods, mysterious islands...

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Maybe Nintendo was waiting for the right atmosphere to start Nipplegate? After all, all publicity is good publicity! 

Speaking of upcoming releases, I just realized that I still haven't played AC Syndicate, and I preordered Origins (and SM Odyssey). Hmm. 

Missed thus in the harvest moon commotion, but what "nipplegate"? I'm assuming you're talking about Mario in swim gear but surely people can't be offended by that... (After a few minutes of Googling) People need to get a life. Mario is a human being, of course he has nipples. Big whoop.

On Assassin's Creed, as you're probably well aware of I've played every single Assassin's Creed console game, most twice and some even thrice. From everything I've seen, I'm willing to bet you're going to need zero info from Syndicate to be able to enjoy Origins.

... Or you could, you know, use the three and a half weeks in between now and the release to actually play Syndicate.

Personally, I've pre-ordered both Super Mario Odyssey and Assassin's Creed Origins, and I've taken said Friday and the Monday after off of work. It's going to be a great weekend...

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

You getting South Park launch day? I'mma race you to the finish line. I'm about to fire up the first game again right now to get prepped. Billie just went down and I am keeeeen. Saw Mormon again the other day too, this time with the missus. I am fucking ready for my South Park.

33 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

You getting South Park launch day? I'mma race you to the finish line. I'm about to fire up the first game again right now to get prepped. Billie just went down and I am keeeeen. Saw Mormon again the other day too, this time with the missus. I am fucking ready for my South Park.

I'm not going to do any racing; I'm going to turn off trophy notifications and take my time with the game. I don't have the first game right now but naturally I'll have it on PS4 come launch of the new game.

I'm still getting ready for the game, I'm re-watching the whole series. Only season 20 to go, and the couple of episodes of season 21 that will be released before the game (hoping on another tie-in).

10 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

I would say Metroid Samus Returns is also a similar experience. It updates the Gameboy games Metroid 2 and makes it feel like a new experience. It is really fantastic, but I think some people might skip it because it's $40 and because it's a new games for 3DS in 2017. I feel like I'm only halfway through and it's still going strong. I think the game is worth every bit of $40 and then some, but I'm a Metroid fan. :)

Axiom Verge is an odd duck. It looks like a 8-bit game, but it plays like a 16-bit or 32-bit game. I do think @BillyHorrible would enjoy it. 

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Missed thus in the harvest moon commotion, but what "nipplegate"? I'm assuming you're talking about Mario in swim gear but surely people can't be offended by that... (After a few minutes of Googling) People need to get a life. Mario is a human being, of course he has nipples. Big whoop.

On Assassin's Creed, as you're probably well aware of I've played every single Assassin's Creed console game, most twice and some even thrice. From everything I've seen, I'm willing to bet you're going to need zero info from Syndicate to be able to enjoy Origins.

... Or you could, you know, use the three and a half weeks in between now and the release to actually play Syndicate.

Personally, I've pre-ordered both Super Mario Odyssey and Assassin's Creed Origins, and I've taken said Friday and the Monday after off of work. It's going to be a great weekend...

Yeah, I was referring to the big reaction to shirtless Mario, which I also think is silly. "Mario's no longer a plumber? He has nipples? My whole belief system is destroyed now!!!" People are weird. 

I know I'll need zero info from Syndicate technically speaking, but the modern-day storyline will probably continue on in Origins from Syndicate (which if it's like Unity, is pretty minimal now... AC IV was the last game that seemed to do a lot with the modern-day plot). I should go ahead and start playing Syndicate. 

Last night I finished SteamWorld Dig 2, which I highly recommend to anyone who enjoyed the first one. Sure, you can wait for a sale but I was glad to support Image & Form at $20 and get the sequel I'd been wanting since finishing SWD1. I'm not sure if I'll keep going, apparently 100% completion (which I'm not sure I understand, does it mean every upgrade?) unlocks additional story content, like an epilogue. As much as I like the game structure, I am not really motivated to hunt down the remaining cogs and relics unless there is a way to narrow down the search (I unlocked an upgrade to show the minerals on the minimap but it doesn't show cogs and relics, which are needed for the second type of upgrade). Also, I think this was the first game that really used HD rumble that I've played. I noticed it a lot during the final boss battle, and it was pretty cool. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I would say Metroid Samus Returns is also a similar experience. It updates the Gameboy games Metroid 2 and makes it feel like a new experience. It is really fantastic, but I think some people might skip it because it's $40 and because it's a new games for 3DS in 2017. I feel like I'm only halfway through and it's still going strong. I think the game is worth every bit of $40 and then some, but I'm a Metroid fan. :)

Axiom Verge is an odd duck. It looks like a 8-bit game, but it plays like a 16-bit or 32-bit game. I do think @BillyHorrible would enjoy it. 

At this point, buying Axiom Verge is more a case of "can I please finish an already purchased game first please" for me.

Seems like I'm doing great in Thimbleweed Park, here's hoping I can finish it before the weekend.

I know I'll need zero info from Syndicate technically speaking, but the modern-day storyline will probably continue on in Origins from Syndicate (which if it's like Unity, is pretty minimal now... AC IV was the last game that seemed to do a lot with the modern-day plot). I should go ahead and start playing Syndicate. 

Syndicate has a few present day cutscenes, mainly setting up sequel hooks and doing little in terms of satisfying story.

Last night I finished SteamWorld Dig 2, which I highly recommend to anyone who enjoyed the first one. Sure, you can wait for a sale but I was glad to support Image & Form at $20 and get the sequel I'd been wanting since finishing SWD1. I'm not sure if I'll keep going, apparently 100% completion (which I'm not sure I understand, does it mean every upgrade?) unlocks additional story content, like an epilogue. As much as I like the game structure, I am not really motivated to hunt down the remaining cogs and relics unless there is a way to narrow down the search (I unlocked an upgrade to show the minerals on the minimap but it doesn't show cogs and relics, which are needed for the second type of upgrade). Also, I think this was the first game that really used HD rumble that I've played. I noticed it a lot during the final boss battle, and it was pretty cool. 

My opinion on SteamWorld Dig is known so I'll focus on the rumble: I thought the rumble in Fast RMX was done pretty well.

The very best example though is Golf Story, which manages to use the rumble system to actually produce sound effects from the controller. So weird when I noticed that, very well done.

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm not going to do any racing; I'm going to turn off trophy notifications and take my time with the game. I don't have the first game right now but naturally I'll have it on PS4 come launch of the new game.

I'm still getting ready for the game, I'm re-watching the whole series. Only season 20 to go, and the couple of episodes of season 21 that will be released before the game (hoping on another tie-in).

Was only half serious. I just mean to say I'm gonna get every second I can on that sucker. Realistically I'll play a couple hours, then drop it for a while anyways. 

Nice. The one from last week, or the week before, whatever, the one with the phones (you'll know it when you see it) had me genuinely struggling not to burst out laughing while I watched it in the break room with earphones. Also saw the trilogy of cross over eps again last night by coincidence, another would be fantastic.

50 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Was only half serious. I just mean to say I'm gonna get every second I can on that sucker. Realistically I'll play a couple hours, then drop it for a while anyways. 

Nice. The one from last week, or the week before, whatever, the one with the phones (you'll know it when you see it) had me genuinely struggling not to burst out laughing while I watched it in the break room with earphones. Also saw the trilogy of cross over eps again last night by coincidence, another would be fantastic.

I realised you were joking, just figured I'd rip off that bandaid quickly :)

Don't think there's room for another trilogy but it would be nice to have another Coon And Friends episode to lead into the game.

I watched two episodes of South Park S20 yesterday, as well as an episode of Big Mouth and two John Olivers with the missus.

As for gaming, I a bit farther into Thimbleweed Park, I'm now near the end of Part Four.

Also, I bought Arcade Archives: Mario Bros., for the hell of it. It's only €7 and it's the arcade original, I'm going to buy VS Super Mario Bros. as well and I hope Hamster Corporation gets enough revenue to try and get Donkey Kong done (as the rights for the arcade code don't seem to be with Nintendo). Don't really want more arcade titles than these three, as far as I know. Maybe Ice Climber. I'm sure glad that I'm more tolerant of 8-bit graphics these days though, so I can enjoy these games.

Might just buy Axiom Verge when I get home, though it's possible I'll wait until Sunday.

9 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Also, I bought Arcade Archives: Mario Bros., for the hell of it. It's only €7 and it's the arcade original, I'm going to buy VS Super Mario Bros. as well and I hope Hamster Corporation gets enough revenue to try and get Donkey Kong done (as the rights for the arcade code don't seem to be with Nintendo). Don't really want more arcade titles than these three, as far as I know. Maybe Ice Climber. I'm sure glad that I'm more tolerant of 8-bit graphics these days though, so I can enjoy these games.

I never got into arcade games (sadly we didn't ever live near one and my parents stopped me from wasting my money on things like comics too), but hopefully the revenue from these will help us see SNES and N64 games on the Switch eShop (many of which I will definitely buy). 

Also, I think the eShop is due for an overhaul. For one thing, it needs a sale section like Wii U and 3DS have - I shouldn't have to search through the whole store to find games on sale. Another nice change would be genres and categories. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:56 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

South Park is one of those shows that I missed the boat on and feel like it has passed me by now. I did like some of the movies that those guys made though. Orgazmo and BASEketball were amusing. Team America had its moments but I thought it was overrated (everybody was quoting it so much when it came out, to the point that I actually DIDN'T want to see the movie). 

It does look like this new RPG will be great for fans of the series though. I guess I should be glad I'm not a fan, it's one less game for me to put in my backlog. :) I'm sure there will be lengthy RPGs that catch my interest on the Switch soon enough though... 

33 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I never got into arcade games (sadly we didn't ever live near one and my parents stopped me from wasting my money on things like comics too), but hopefully the revenue from these will help us see SNES and N64 games on the Switch eShop (many of which I will definitely buy). 

Also, I think the eShop is due for an overhaul. For one thing, it needs a sale section like Wii U and 3DS have - I shouldn't have to search through the whole store to find games on sale. Another nice change would be genres and categories. 

I'm European so arcade halls are already a foreign concept. Only time I ever played on an arcade machine was on a camping that had Metal Slug next to its pinball machine. Doesn't mean I don't feel like getting a piece of Nintendo history.

The eShop should get an upgrade somewhere in the next few months, at least devs are expecting this as well.

South Park is one of those shows that I missed the boat on and feel like it has passed me by now. I did like some of the movies that those guys made though. Orgazmo and BASEketball were amusing. Team America had its moments but I thought it was overrated (everybody was quoting it so much when it came out, to the point that I actually DIDN'T want to see the movie). 

South Park is a great piece of work, I suggest you try it. Baseketball was very cool.

It does look like this new RPG will be great for fans of the series though. I guess I should be glad I'm not a fan, it's one less game for me to put in my backlog. :) I'm sure there will be lengthy RPGs that catch my interest on the Switch soon enough though... 

Going by the last game, this won't be such a huge RPG. Though, as I explained to a colleague last week: it's South Park, you don't play it for the gameplay, you play it for the outrageous jokes.

I'm European so arcade halls are already a foreign concept. Only time I ever played on an arcade machine was on a camping that had Metal Slug next to its pinball machine. Doesn't mean I don't feel like getting a piece of Nintendo history.

Interesting, so I guess arcades were mostly big in the USA and Japan. I didn't know that. Anyway, my comment on arcade games was that I didn't grow up with them and they always seemed strange to me. I have tried various arcade collections over the years, and I've never really enjoyed any of them. 

Besides which, I played all of the GBA SMB games (1, 2, 3, and World), which all included Mario Bros (or vs Super Mario Bros, I don't know the difference) and that gave me more than my fill of that particular gameplay. I don't like it enough to spend $8 on it. What I would be interested in buying would be an arcade collection that packaged several of those games together. Generally speaking, I don't like the structure of arcade games compared to home console games. So for me, the Arcade Archives line is not appealing. I'm glad they seem to be doing justice to those games for people who are interested, though. I had a good VC on Wii U and 3DS, I can wait a bit longer for some good VC games on Switch. 

South Park is a great piece of work, I suggest you try it. Baseketball was very cool.

I did like BASEketball, as I said. But the handful of clips of South Park I've seen crossed the line for me between funny and gross. I like some gross-out humor but there's a certain point where stuff stops being funny to me. Maybe the show isn't like that as a whole, but every time somebody shows me a clip to demonstrate the show, it's almost always something that is super gross. I also don't care for the voices... they annoy me. 

To hopefully put my tastes into some perspective, my main source of animated comedy is Simpsons (although I haven't seen the past 15 seasons or so, I mostly rewatch the classic seasons) and Futurama. I liked Family Guy well enough before it got canceled, but it started to get stupid to where every episode had way too many flashback pop culture gags. 

Also... I don't know how to watch South Park without just watching reruns or something. I never actually watch live TV even though I technically have TV service; I always use on demand apps from various network providers. It looks like the Comedy Central app has random episodes available from older seasons, but not the whole selection. I don't know if the show is on Hulu or something similar, but I don't have that. 

Anyway, if I do somehow find a way to watch, are there particular episodes you would recommend to start with? 

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

If you're going to watch a Matt Stone and Trey Parker film, I suggest watching Cannibal! The Musical.

I missed that one somehow...

57 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Interesting, so I guess arcades were mostly big in the USA and Japan. I didn't know that. Anyway, my comment on arcade games was that I didn't grow up with them and they always seemed strange to me. I have tried various arcade collections over the years, and I've never really enjoyed any of them. 

I guess I had a bit more experience in arcades than I remembered. It was always at a camping or ski resort or theme park or whatever, though, and there was never a whole lot to choose from.

I didn't use to like arcade collections, but what with Shovel Knight making me open up to 8-bit I'm willing to give some of them a shot 

Besides which, I played all of the GBA SMB games (1, 2, 3, and World), which all included Mario Bros (or vs Super Mario Bros, I don't know the difference) 

Mario Bros. is the one with two pipes at the top of the screen and two at the bottom, where you have to get rid of the tortoises and crabs and flies and you can't jump on top of them. Super Mario Bros. is the first side-scrolling platformer in the Mario series, starting series staples like Bowser kidnapping Peach, eaght worlds with eight final castles, going down pipes to enter underground/underwater areas, mushrooms (both red and green), jump-stomping enemies... I could go on and on, from invincibility stars and fire flowers to enemies like koopa troopa and goomba to the immortal line "Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!" - the first Super Mario Bros. game defined what Mario games are more than any later game.

By the way, this is the first time that the arcade original Mario Bros. is available on a console, which is what makes it so special. All the other versions were a bit watered down or remade, it was never the original arcade code, which is what Hamster Corporation is putting out now (and all their games are the same price).

andthat gave me more than my fill of that particular gameplay. I don't like it enough to spend $8 on it. What I would be interested in buying would be an arcade collection that packaged several of those games together. Generally speaking, I don't like the structure of arcade games compared to home console games. So for me, the Arcade Archives line is not appealing. I'm glad they seem to be doing justice to those games for people who are interested, though. I had a good VC on Wii U and 3DS, I can wait a bit longer for some good VC games on Switch. 

I'd like VC as well but, after some thinking, I decided that that doesn't mean I will ignore these arcade titles.for Super Mario Bros. 3 I would want the SNES version I guess, but for the first SMB, the arcade will do - it's a version I never played, actually different than the NES and SNES versions in that a bunch of different levels are in there.

I did like BASEketball, as I said.

My mention of Baseketball was simply to agree with that point :)

But the handful of clips of South Park I've seen crossed the line for me between funny and gross. I like some gross-out humor but there's a certain point where stuff stops being funny to me. Maybe the show isn't like that as a whole, but every time somebody shows me a clip touting the show, it's almost always something that is super gross. I also don't care for the voices... they annoy me. 

Also... I don't know how to watch the show without just watching reruns or something. I never actually watch live TV even though I technically have TV service, I always use on demand apps from various network providers. It looks like the Comedy Central app has random episodes available from older seasons, but not the whole selection. I don't know if the show is on Hulu or something similar, but I don't have that. 

Anyway, if I do somehow find a way to watch, are there particular episodes you would recommend to start with? 

Later seasons become less gross and more topical. I liked season 18 as the first season with an over-arching plot.

I loved the episode Raising The Bar for going against low-brow reality shows like Honey Boo-Boo, and for becoming existential and pondering if South Park themselves are to blame for the decline in quality by being one of the early shows to be gross and popular.

The Coon is an amazing Dark Knight parody.

Some other episodes that are cool and not that big on the gross part (though most of the time they still manage to cross some lines twice) are Fishsticks, Fatbeard, Cartman Sucks, Le Petite Tourette, W.T.F., The Last Of The Meheecans, Faith Hilling, Smug Alert, and The F Word.

But the voices are always there, of course.

Could be you have the same problem I have - watching a short clip is simply annoying and crossing lines, but watching a whole episode (or the movie) gives you enough time to acclimatise so that it goes so far that it's funny again.

13 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Mario Bros. is the one with two pipes at the top of the screen and two at the bottom, where you have to get rid of the tortoises and crabs and flies and you can't jump on top of them. Super Mario Bros. is the first side-scrolling platformer in the Mario series, starting series staples like Bowser kidnapping Peach, eaght worlds with eight final castles, going down pipes to enter underground/underwater areas, mushrooms (both red and green), jump-stomping enemies... I could go on and on, from invincibility stars and fire flowers to enemies like koopa troopa and goomba to the immortal line "Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!" - the first Super Mario Bros. game defined what Mario games are more than any later game.

By the way, this is the first time that the arcade original Mario Bros. is available on a console, which is what makes it so special. All the other versions were a bit watered down or remade, it was never the original arcade code, which is what Hamster Corporation is putting out now (and all their games are the same price).

Whoa whoa whoa, I know what Super Mario Bros is, it was the first console game I ever finished when we got a NES back in 1990. I couldn't very well claim to love 2D Mario games if I didn't play Super Mario Bros, now could I? That would be like the gamer equivalent of people who comment on articles without reading them! Oh wait, that's almost everyone. :P

Anyway, I have played SMB1 many times, although SMB3 is the oldest game that really holds up for me now. I was talking about the difference between Mario Bros (which is the one that was included in each GBA SMB port) and "VS Super Mario Bros", which I have never played. Anyway, I just looked up VS Super Mario Bros and it's apparently an arcade version of SMB1. I would definitely consider buying that one; it sounds like less of an arcade game and more of a "normal" console game experience. But for the original arcade version of Mario Bros, I got enough gameplay out of the GBA versions and it's not my thing. I guess it's groundbreaking and such, but I don't find it worth buying. I'm glad the Switch version is the full blown one, that's great for people that want to buy it. But I'm not one of those people. I would enjoy giving VS Super Mario Bros a try though, so I will probably buy that one. 

13 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Later seasons become less gross and more topical. I liked season 18 as the first season with an over-arching plot.

I loved the episode Raising The Bar for going against low-brow reality shows like Honey Boo-Boo, and for becoming existential and pondering if South Park themselves are to blame for the decline in quality by being one of the early shows to be gross and popular.

The Coon is an amazing Dark Knight parody.

Some other episodes that are cool and not that big on the gross part (though most of the time they still manage to cross some lines twice) are Fishsticks, Fatbeard, Cartman Sucks, Le Petite Tourette, W.T.F., The Last Of The Meheecans, Faith Hilling, Smug Alert, and The F Word.

But the voices are always there, of course.

Could be you have the same problem I have - watching a short clip is simply annoying and crossing lines, but watching a whole episode (or the movie) gives you enough time to acclimatise so that it goes so far that it's funny again.

Thanks for the suggestions, and yeah the clip point sounds like a fair assessment. I'll see what options are available for me to watch.