Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

29 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Seems like February/March, and not late Spring, would be perfect for Kirby.

I actually had your comment in the back of my mind when I wrote my analysis. I should've given you credit for predicting that :) Let's see how right we are..

30 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

One of the problems with the WiiU was spacing, too many periods of nothing in between games. Expect Nintendo to do one big game every two to three months on Switch.

This is why we need third parties to fill in the gaps. Also, the fact that the Switch is both handheld and a console means Nintendo can merge their two development divisions into one. No reason why the next Kid Icarus game can't get released on the Switch. The fact that the next Fire Emblem game (and I'm not talking FE: Warriors but rather the main series) and Pokemon are getting a Switch release shows this. I've a feeling we won't be seen extremely long periods between game releases with the Switch.

1 hour ago, Miles_Warren said:

One final thought - third parties are showing incredible support for the Switch. This is something that we didn't have with the Wii U and was one of the reasons why it died a slow death. We need to support these developers when they release games on the system. As I've mentioned before, I've visited a few video game websites that were talking about this Direct and all I see are comments like "OMG, DOOM and Wolfenstein are on the Switch. I'm not going to buy them but this is amazing news" or "Why would I buy FIFA or NBA on the Switch when I can play it on the PS4?". I'm not saying we should buy every third party game out there, but maybe buy the occasional one on the Switch instead of the PS4.

The last thing I want is Nintendo games selling in the millions while third party games barely scrape past 500K. 

This is a good point. Doom and Skyrim are in my backlog, and while I already own PS4 copies, I would consider grabbing them on Switch when I decide to actually start playing. Also, Wolfenstein 2 is obviously not out yet, and being able to bring in my Switch to show off Wolf 2 to my coworkers is pretty sweet.

I am disappointed but not surprised that there was no VC news. I don't know if anybody is actually excited about the Arcade Archives thing, but I know I'm not. I want to play Super Mario Bros, not the arcade original. And honestly at this point in my life I only enjoy playing Super Mario World and newer iterations of the series. But the point stands, I want games from their past consoles, not arcade games. It's all well and good to say the VC is coming, because it most likely is, but that's what fans want, not this Arcade Archives stuff.

4 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

One final thought - third parties are showing incredible support for the Switch. This is something that we didn't have with the Wii U and was one of the reasons why it died a slow death. We need to support these developers when they release games on the system. As I've mentioned before, I've visited a few video game websites that were talking about this Direct and all I see are comments like "OMG, DOOM and Wolfenstein are on the Switch. I'm not going to buy them but this is amazing news" or "Why would I buy FIFA or NBA on the Switch when I can play it on the PS4?". I'm not saying we should buy every third party game out there, but maybe buy the occasional one on the Switch instead of the PS4.

The last thing I want is Nintendo games selling in the millions while third party games barely scrape past 500K. 

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

This is a good point. Doom and Skyrim are in my backlog, and while I already own PS4 copies, I would consider grabbing them on Switch when I decide to actually start playing. Also, Wolfenstein 2 is obviously not out yet, and being able to bring in my Switch to show off Wolf 2 to my coworkers is pretty sweet.

I already bought a bunch of games on Switch while they are also available on PS4 (Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, Death Squared, Bulb Boy, forma.8 and SonicMania), and I don't intend to stop. I'll definitely get L.A. Noire, though perhaps not day one.

For smaller games, the Switch is definitely my preferred console now, and not just because of portability. The main stuff I'll keep buying for PS4 are the PlayStation exclusives, as well as graphics powerhouses like Assassin's Creed and GTA, which we just know will not work as good on the Switch.

There's been several times when I figured I'd just buy a game at full price specifically to show support for developers on the Switch.

4 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

This is why we need third parties to fill in the gaps. Also, the fact that the Switch is both handheld and a console means Nintendo can merge their two development divisions into one. No reason why the next Kid Icarus game can't get released on the Switch. The fact that the next Fire Emblem game (and I'm not talking FE: Warriors but rather the main series) and Pokemon are getting a Switch release shows this. I've a feeling we won't be seen extremely long periods between game releases with the Switch.

I expect to see a rise in "handheld" titles in a year or two to three, when the 3DS goes on life support. Layton, Ace Attorney, Pokémon... 

I don't need the huge third party games necessarily by the way, unless they're developed especially and exclusively for the Switch, like Mario+Rabbids. I want to have a heap of great smaller games as well, and those are definitely coming. Runner3, Super Meat Boy Forever, Shakedown Hawaii, a sequel to The Fall...

So, after getting Rabbid Kong as the boss of the first world, I figured I would not see another boss as awesome. The boss from world two seemed to solidify that idea.

... The boss from the third world is super cool though! I was in stitches throughout, which made me forgive the boss for being actually relatively difficult to plan.

There are two new games out that I'm kind of interested in. Semispheres, a short but good looking puzzle game where you control two 'characters' at the same time for €10, and Robonauts, an arcade shooter with Mario Galaxy type switching gravity planets for €15 (first two weeks 10% off).

Neither looks like a must buy to me but after having a great time with Death Squared and Bulb Boy, I feel ready to dive into something unknown a bit more.

Semispheres is available on PS4 too, by the way, and Robonauts will be available next week.

Okay, so I'm not usually one for triple posting but I figured @Super-Fly Spider-Guy and @Parker would want to know this (if they didn't know this already): Fast RMX just got an update, adding two extra cups worth of new courses!

In other news, I decided to buy Pan-Pan and Robonauts. I also saw 36 Fragments Of Midnight but I figured I'd wait until at least two or three reviews.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Okay, so I'm not usually one for triple posting but I figured @Super-Fly Spider-Guy and @Parker would want to know this (if they didn't know this already): Fast RMX just got an update, adding two extra cups worth of new courses!

In other news, I decided to buy Pan-Pan and Robonauts. I also saw 36 Fragments Of Midnight but I figured I'd wait until at least two or three reviews.

Yeah, I know, but cheers anyways dude.

I had been counting down the days for it for good week or two when it popped up in my news feed. When I got home from work the first thing I did was fire up that download, but then Billie woke up, took my Switch, and of all the things she could have done, hit the bloody Fast RMX logo, and started playing my new level before me... only to just let the guy sit there for a bit, long enough to ensure he couldn't come back and win, and then give me back the Switch.

Anyway. I thought the new levels were cool, some felt a little similar but that's bound to happen, I think the snow one at the end was my favorite just because of the surprise of snow popping up. With these new levels out, we really should get around to burning through some MP. After next week I got two weeks off, hint hint, so I'll just be at home playing with my baby, and my baby (one of those is my child, the other is my Switch, you can guess which came first).

7 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Yeah, I know, but cheers anyways dude.

I had been counting down the days for it for good week or two when it popped up in my news feed. When I got home from work the first thing I did was fire up that download, but then Billie woke up, took my Switch, and of all the things she could have done, hit the bloody Fast RMX logo, and started playing my new level before me... only to just let the guy sit there for a bit, long enough to ensure he couldn't come back and win, and then give me back the Switch.

Anyway. I thought the new levels were cool, some felt a little similar but that's bound to happen, I think the snow one at the end was my favorite just because of the surprise of snow popping up. With these new levels out, we really should get around to burning through some MP. After next week I got two weeks off, hint hint, so I'll just be at home playing with my baby, and my baby (one of those is my child, the other is my Switch, you can guess which came first).

Multiplayer? I'd be happy if I was able to do any gaming at all! Got a new job and I haven't been able to play games since last weekend. Hope to do some gaming this weekend and manage to game in bits in the coming weeks.

I just finished Breath of the Wild, and oh my god, this game is just so fucking good. It shattered my expectations and kept me hooked ever since the beginning. The huge scale of the world, the story, the characters, absolutely nothing disappointed me. I finished all the Shrine, Memories, and the like, but sidequests and Korok Seeds, I left some alone, and there's still plenty of locations I technically didn't visit, so I'm gonna keep playing and going around finishing those things. I absolutely will get the Expansion Pass, right now in fact, and check out the things in that.

• Like 1

Played the Project Octopath Traveler demo on Switch last night and liked it a lot. Great retro visuals and the soundtrack is fabulous (going to buy it as soon as it's available). The turn-based battle system is inspired by Bravely Default's brave and default system. I'm curious to see how the story continues. Seems like another great RPG by Square Enix. 
I'm hoping we'll get to play that ranger type of character that appears in the loading screen concept art / key visuals because she was accompanied by a snow leopard! :wub:

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo4_1280.jpg

More screenshots in the spoiler below. ↓

Spoiler

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo8_1280.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I just discovered Thimbleweed Park, which will come out on Switch this week and is out on PS4 already.

Thimbleweed_Park_screenshot.png

It's a point and click game styled like the old Maniac Mansion / Monkey Island games, and it was actually made by Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick. They wanted to make a throwback game to the old days of classic point and click games, and they wanted to parody crime/mystery shows like X Files, Twin Peaks and True Detective.

If those names mean anything to you and if anything of the above gets you going, Thimbleweed Park is probably a game for you. It's €20 on PSN so it will probably be the same on the eShop. I know already that I'll buy it right away when it releases on the Switch (I'm still doing good on the non-Nintendo games for the Switch, @Miles_Warren). Mostly because I love this kind of game and trust Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick, partially because I really want to sponsor this kind of project and I'm sad I didn't see the Kickstarter project in time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miles_Warren said:

I'm always on the look out for a good point and click game. For some reason, it is a genre (along with RPG's) that I can never get tired or burnt out from. I'll keep an eye out for this one too. 1f44d.png

Should be on the eShop on the 21st, together with SteamWorld Dig 2 :)

September 21: Thimbleweed Park and SteamWorld Dig 2

September 22: Dragonball Xenoverse 2 and Pokken Tournament DX

That's it for revealed releases this week, guess there's something in it for most people though.

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Should be on the eShop on the 21st, together with SteamWorld Dig 2 :)

September 21: Thimbleweed Park and SteamWorld Dig 2

September 22: Dragonball Xenoverse 2 and Pokken Tournament DX

That's it for revealed releases this week, guess there's something in it for most people though.

Nice, I didn't realize SteamWorld Dig 2 was coming out so soon! Time flies when you have a huge backlog! I'll be getting that for sure, even though I never finished SteamWorld Heist (maybe I will one day, I liked it but I was terrible at it).

I'm not interested in the others though. I love Ron Gilbert's style of humor, but I don't enjoy those hunt-and-peck adventure games anymore.

On 9/17/2017 at 10:15 AM, Eyjabria said:

Played the Project Octopath Traveler demo on Switch last night and liked it a lot. Great retro visuals and the soundtrack is fabulous (going to buy it as soon as it's available). The turn-based battle system is inspired by Bravely Default's brave and default system. I'm curious to see how the story continues. Seems like another great RPG by Square Enix. 
I'm hoping we'll get to play that ranger type of character that appears in the loading screen concept art / key visuals because she was accompanied by a snow leopard! :wub:

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo4_1280.jpg

More screenshots in the spoiler below. ↓

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_owe445FJSl1tyw21qo8_1280.jpg

YES YES YES I AGREE. I LOVED IT AND WILL GET IT AT LAUNCH. I PLAYED THE DEMO TODAY AND COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN LOL. I HAD TO SWITCH(NO PUN INTENDED ;) ) TO MARIO + RABBIDS TO STOP PLAYING LOL

Well, apparently all of our Switches have NES Golf on them, hidden away in some system files...

At this point it can't be accessed yet without some unofficial actions, but the big news here is that Nintendo already ported a NES game with joycon support, probably to see if a NES emulator could work in the future.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/nintendo-switch-nes-golf-how-to-launch-2142469

Fun news.

Well, this morning Thimbleweed Park still was not on the eShop, hopefully it's there when I get back from work.

Decided I'll get L.A. Noire day one if the digital price is indeed €40 instead of the retail €50. Still love the game (fourth playthrough done earlier this year), would prefer it on the Switch so my PS3 is one more step towards being superfluous and I feel like showing Rockstar that they can bring more games to Nintendo.

I'm at the final battle in both Sonic Mania and Mario+Rabbids. Both games were well worth my time and money.

We're now just over half a year in and I feel like saying, with all the digital games I'm buying, my SD card is in no danger of becoming full soon even though I haven't deleted any of the digital games I finished yet. Mario Kart and Snake Pass are about 11GB put together, and all the other games I have are under 1GB.

Here's a bit of a breakdown of the games I've bought.

Played through:

1. Bulb Boy. Fun while it lasts, point and click game with a great atmosphere.
  2. Death Squared. Great puzzle game with a fun story.
  3. Fast RMX. Awesome spiritual successor to F-Zero.
  4. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild. Amazing game, only the second Zelda after Ocarina that I really loved.
  5. Shovel Knight: Shovel Of Hope. Awesome platformer, glad I funded these devs with this purchase and the amiibo.
  6. Shovel Knight: Specter Of Torment. Loved the story and gameplay even more than the main game.
  7. Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's Mario Kart, what else do you need to know?
  8. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together!. Great co-op puzzle game, will buy the DLC right away.
  9. World Of Goo. Almost a decade old now and it's still a cool puzzle game.

Not finished yet:

1. Blaster Master Zero. It's a good MetroidVania game but it didn't really pull me in before I got distracted by other games.
  2. Human Resource Machine. Cool puzzle game. Only the final test remains, but I don't want to look at a guide.
  3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. I'm at the final boss. It's a very cool game and the first RTS I'm playing through.
  4. Pan-Pan: A Tiny Big Adventure. It's a bit of fun and it looks nice but several of the puzzles are not really intuitive.
  5. Robonauts. It's a nice arcade shooter, nothing really special but it's fun if you like the genre.
  6. Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows. Just a reskin of the original and annoying gameplay. Won't be playing it soon.
  7. Snake Pass. I'm at the final world. It's been a lot of fun and I'm glad I bought it. Very original platform game.
  8. Sonic Mania. I'm at the final boss. The game has grown on me and I'd rate it as my most enjoyable Sonic experience.

Not started yet:

1. forma.8. Liked the look but haven't gotten around to actually playing yet thanks to Sonic and Mario+Rabbids.
  2. Thimbleweed Park. Release is today and I'll buy it right away.
Edited by BillyHorrible
fixed layout

Sorry to be spamming again, but...

There's a Picross game coming to the Switch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-20-puzzle-favourite-picross-headed-to-nintendo-switch

3ZCslA4.jpg

I never played these games before but I've bought a fair few paper nonogram books over the years, this looks like fun and I'll buy it right away when it releases.

It releases next week, costs €8 and should have 300 puzzles, as well as a two player mode.

Interesting news about NES Golf. I have a feeling that Nintendo will hit us with a few surprises next year about what they are really planning for the Switch. Rumour at the moment is that Netflix is now ready for the Switch too. I'm willing to bet good money that the next Direct will be in January where they will announce the launch of the online services, virtual console, Netflix and other online multimedia such as Youtube. The other rumour earlier in the year is that Nintendo have abandoned their plans to give us the two games a month as PS4 and XBox already do (ok in Nintendo's case it was to loan us the games for the month) and instead launch a Netflix style VC. The other rumour is that the Switch will be Nintendo's second attempt at VR.

A ton of rumours but so far no solid announcements other than people finding hidden codes in the system files. I think I am right about that January Direct though...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

Interesting news about NES Golf. I have a feeling that Nintendo will hit us with a few surprises next year about what they are really planning for the Switch. Rumour at the moment is that Netflix is now ready for the Switch too. I'm willing to bet good money that the next Direct will be in January where they will announce the launch of the online services, virtual console, Netflix and other online multimedia such as Youtube. The other rumour earlier in the year is that Nintendo have abandoned their plans to give us the two games a month as PS4 and XBox already do (ok in Nintendo's case it was to loan us the games for the month) and instead launch a Netflix style VC. The other rumour is that the Switch will be Nintendo's second attempt at VR.

A ton of rumours but so far no solid announcements other than people finding hidden codes in the system files. I think I am right about that January Direct though...

We'll see what happens. Personally I find I'm buying so many fun games that I barely have time to be sad about not having any word on VC yet.

I'd like Netflix on the Switch, I have no way of watching Netflix while in bed yet (I think the screen of my phone is too small), it's extra strength lazy.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:27 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Well, apparently all of our Switches have NES Golf on them, hidden away in some system files...

At this point it can't be accessed yet without some unofficial actions, but the big news here is that Nintendo already ported a NES game with joycon support, probably to see if a NES emulator could work in the future.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/nintendo-switch-nes-golf-how-to-launch-2142469

Fun news.

The rumor is that this is a next-gen way to honor Iwata through Japanese tradition, and that perhaps Nintendo never intended the hidden game to be discovered. I thought that was pretty cool. 

Anyway, this does lend credence to the theory that Nintendo will eventually bring out a VC, hopefully including Gamecube and Wii games eventually. 

9 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, this morning Thimbleweed Park still was not on the eShop, hopefully it's there when I get back from work.

I still don't understand exactly when the eShop updates, but I noticed this morning (GMT -5) that SteamWorld Dig 2 was available. 

9 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:
  1. Blaster Master Zero. It's a good MetroidVania game but it didn't really pull me in before I got distracted by other games.

Interesting, I didn't think of Blaster Master Zero as a Metroidvania, but I guess it could be considered one. It hasn't managed to pull me in like they typically do though. Unlike most Metroidvanias, I can't really tell how to read the map and where I should go next, etc. 

There's a Picross game coming to the Switch.

I never played these games before but I've bought a fair few paper nonogram books over the years, this looks like fun and I'll buy it right away when it releases.

It releases next week, costs €8 and should have 300 puzzles, as well as a two player mode.

I haven't played previous Picross games either, and I think this is a good time to start for me. 

I'd like Netflix on the Switch, I have no way of watching Netflix while in bed yet (I think the screen of my phone is too small), it's extra strength lazy.

I thought the same thing. Typically I use my 10" tablet but I've been carpooling to work, and with more cramped conditions (compared to riding a train), I find that watching videos on my phone works better. For comedies and a lot of TV shows, I think the size is fine. For more epic stuff like SW Rebels (Rebels is awesome and anyone who thinks otherwise just plain sucks) and movies a larger size is better. The Switch is in the sweet spot for screen size I think. Also, the cool ability to watch Netflix on your TV, then take the Switch off the dock and keep watching, should not be underestimated. You can do that now with a phone or tablet but you have to launch the app and resume where you left off, it's not a seamless experience like the Switch would be. 

Also, today I brought my Switch (and 3DS) to work, mostly because I was too excited about SteamWorld Dig 2 to wait for purchase until I get home. Sadly, I discovered an issue with its wireless capability. My workplace has two WiFi options, one is for employees and one is for guests. The employee option uses your Windows Active Directory username and password to authenticate. This works on Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS. But it does not work on most "other" devices. For example, my Vita does not work for that, because those kinds of devices do not have the option to use a username and password with WiFi (instead it's just a passcode). However, my Vita does work with the guest WiFi, which is an Open (i.e. no passcode) WiFi signal that takes you to a landing authentication page to login. I did some Googling today and apparently that functionality was added to the Switch with the day-1 patch. But whatever I did, it would not work for me. I could get to the authentication page but that's as far as I got. I'm guessing the crippled Switch web browser is to blame there. On the 3DS, it did not even get that far, it simply would not connect to the guest WiFi. This seems like something Nintendo could fix, but I don't know if they will. For the time being, I guess I'll mostly stick with offline gaming if I travel with my Switch. For the most part that's fine since I'm not a MP gamer, but I was disappointed that Nintendo hasn't improved their limited WiFi functionality very much since the 3DS. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1