Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The rumor is that this is a next-gen way to honor Iwata through Japanese tradition, and that perhaps Nintendo never intended the hidden game to be discovered. I thought that was pretty cool. 

Well it should be discovered at some point since apparently you can play it each year on the anniversary of his death, when you do his signature "hands frame face" move with the joycons.

Anyway, this does lend credence to the theory that Nintendo will eventually bring out a VC, hopefully including Gamecube and Wii games eventually. 

I have my doubts about the Wii but GC just might happen... Wishful thinking on my end because Eternal Darkness.

I still don't understand exactly when the eShop updates, but I noticed this morning (GMT -5) that SteamWorld Dig 2 was available. 

Mario Kart was there right on midnight, or at least close after because I started the download before going to bed. Anyway, no biggie, it's there now and I started the download. Making dinner now and then watching an episode of something or other with the missus, after that I've got a bit of gaming time before going to bed and tomorrow I should have some more time.

Interesting, I didn't think of Blaster Master Zero as a Metroidvania, but I guess it could be considered one. It hasn't managed to pull me in like they typically do though. Unlike most Metroidvanias, I can't really tell how to read the map and where I should go next, etc. 

Not being sarcastic but if not MetroidVania, what genre would you put it in?

Took me a little bit but I understand the map now.

I haven't played previous Picross games either, and I think this is a good time to start for me. 

Did you ever do a pencil and paper version? Me and the missus always have some puzzle books when we go on a holiday, and always a few with nonograms.

I thought the same thing. Typically I use my 10" tablet but I've been carpooling to work, and with more cramped conditions (compared to riding a train), I find that watching videos on my phone works better. For comedies and a lot of TV shows, I think the size is fine. For more epic stuff like SW Rebels (Rebels is awesome and anyone who thinks otherwise just plain sucks) and movies a larger size is better. The Switch is in the sweet spot for screen size I think. Also, the cool ability to watch Netflix on your TV, then take the Switch off the dock and keep watching, should not be underestimated. You can do that now with a phone or tablet but you have to launch the app and resume where you left off, it's not a seamless experience like the Switch would be. 

Yeah I have an old first generation iPad which my parents gifted to me when they got a new one with their newspaper subscription (through which they got the old one as well). It refuses to run Netflix though and the YouTube app stopped working two or three years ago; it's just for watching South Park now.

Also, today I brought my Switch (and 3DS) to work, mostly because I was too excited about SteamWorld Dig 2 to wait for purchase until I get home. Sadly, I discovered an issue with its wireless capability. My workplace has two WiFi options, one is for employees and one is for guests. The employee option uses your Windows Active Directory username and password to authenticate. This works on Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS. But it does not work on most "other" devices. For example, my Vita does not work for that, because those kinds of devices do not have the option to use a username and password with WiFi (instead it's just a passcode). However, my Vita does work with the guest WiFi, which is an Open (i.e. no passcode) WiFi signal that takes you to a landing authentication page to login. I did some Googling today and apparently that functionality was added to the Switch with the day-1 patch. But whatever I did, it would not work for me. I could get to the authentication page but that's as far as I got. I'm guessing the crippled Switch web browser is to blame there. On the 3DS, it did not even get that far, it simply would not connect to the guest WiFi. This seems like something Nintendo could fix, but I don't know if they will. For the time being, I guess I'll mostly stick with offline gaming if I travel with my Switch. For the most part that's fine since I'm not a MP gamer, but I was disappointed that Nintendo hasn't improved their limited WiFi functionality very much since the 3DS. 

I often managed wifi networks without trouble on our summer holiday, but I don't recall if I had to insert any user names or if passwords always sufficed.

52 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well it should be discovered at some point since apparently you can play it each year on the anniversary of his death, when you do his signature "hands frame face" move with the joycons.

I have my doubts about the Wii but GC just might happen... Wishful thinking on my end because Eternal Darkness.

Not being sarcastic but if not MetroidVania, what genre would you put it in?

Took me a little bit but I understand the map now.

Did you ever do a pencil and paper version? Me and the missus always have some puzzle books when we go on a holiday, and always a few with nonograms.

Yeah I have an old first generation iPad which my parents gifted to me when they got a new one with their newspaper subscription (through which they got the old one as well). It refuses to run Netflix though and the YouTube app stopped working two or three years ago; it's just for watching South Park now.

I often managed wifi networks without trouble on our summer holiday, but I don't recall if I had to insert any user names or if passwords always sufficed.

I thought I read that you needed firmware 1.0 for it to work? Which no normal Switch gamer would be running. Anyway, I think it's a cool hidden feature either way. 

Yeah, Wii was wishful thinking for me, just as GC may be wishful thinking for you (and everyone else). Sadly, I think Eternal Darkness may be in licensing limbo regardless of VC features, so we may never see it again. I managed to play through it on the Wii, and I think I still have the game lying around. Honestly a Wii VC isn't very important to me, since I am keeping my Wii U (which is backwards compatible with all Wii games) around for the foreseeable future. But I think a Wii VC would be a good feature for a lot of Switch owners, so I support the idea. Also, I can't deny that some Wii games would be awesome to play in handheld/docked mode. I'd love to take Metroid Prime Trilogy or Super Mario Galaxy to play on my commute or in bed (and sadly, the Wii U Gamepad which theoretically works in other rooms has terrible range/"ability to reach through walls"; I can't even use it in my bathroom that is 15 feet from my TV). 

I'm not sure what genre I'd call Blaster Master Zero. Wikpedia calls the original a Metroidvania, which is arguably true. The phrase really didn't kick in until Symphony of the Night came out, but I guess it should include games retroactively. I haven't played enough of the game to say either way, but if certain areas are blocked off until you return with an upgrade, then it should qualify IMO. I'm glad to hear the map eventually makes sense... I'll try it again at some point, but honestly I have enough games that it will be a while. I still haven't touched Mario+Rabbids! My goal of finishing the 50cc cups in MK8D first got sidetracked by me spending my weeknights alternating between Kingdom Hearts 2 on PS4 and No More Heroes on Wii U. Hmm, I just realized I'm using 2 consoles to play remastered/backcompat games right now... interesting. Anyway, I'm almost done with NMH, but I should try to spend some time with my Switch every day, even if it's just one cup in MK8D. 

No, I haven't played any pencil and paper puzzles apart from the occasional crosswords. I did try Sudoku a few times (digital versions though), which I hated. From what I just read on Wikipedia, nonograms looks somewhat similar... now I'll need to consider my purchase more carefully. 

My old tablet was stuck on Android 4, so I feel your pain somewhat. It did work with Netflix but not the more recent updates to the app, so for example it didn't feature video downloads for offline viewing. Since I have a commute, that defeated the purpose somewhat, and I only used it to watch MP4s I ripped from Blu-rays and DVDs. I finally broke down and bought a newer Android tablet and while I like it, it was probably overkill. Oh well. 

This is my first time using my Switch to connect to other WiFi signals, so this may be the exception rather than the rule. Visiting friends should always be fine, since they typically use standard WPA2 Personal for WiFi. Apparently the Switch does support 5GHz, which is nice. A lot of laptops don't even support that. I'm not sure how hotels typically work where you travel, but in the USA most hotels use open WiFi that has landing website authentication. Supposedly it does work on Switch but the specific implementation at my work obviously doesn't. I just noticed that the Vita worked fine while the Switch did not, and I can only assume that the web browser is the determining factor there. Hopefully the Switch will get a full browser at some point. The current crippled one seems like a very weird design decision to me. 

47 minutes ago, syumisan said:

@BillyHorrible You aren't spamming if you are announcing possible new games and confirmed new games for the Switch :). Keep them flowing :)

Agreed, Switch game info is always welcome! 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's like the info for Thimbleweed Park. Last night I literally looked it up to see what the game was about. It looks like a retro pc game which they wanted because the devs made games from that period. Seems very interesting. I never played a point and click old school game before either lol

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I thought I read that you needed firmware 1.0 for it to work? Which no normal Switch gamer would be running. Anyway, I think it's a cool hidden feature either way. 

Wait, doesn't firmware 1.0 just mean that it's already there on the Switch before it ever connects to the internet for an update? It should still be available; in fact at least someone accessed it this year completely by accident and I don't think they would still have not updated the Switch.

Yeah, Wii was wishful thinking for me, just as GC may be wishful thinking for you (and everyone else). Sadly, I think Eternal Darkness may be in licensing limbo regardless of VC features, so we may never see it again. I managed to play through it on the Wii, and I think I still have the game lying around. Honestly a Wii VC isn't very important to me, since I am keeping my Wii U (which is backwards compatible with all Wii games) around for the foreseeable future. But I think a Wii VC would be a good feature for a lot of Switch owners, so I support the idea. Also, I can't deny that some Wii games would be awesome to play in handheld/docked mode. I'd love to take Metroid Prime Trilogy or Super Mario Galaxy to play on my commute or in bed (and sadly, the Wii U Gamepad which theoretically works in other rooms has terrible range/"ability to reach through walls"; I can't even use it in my bathroom that is 15 feet from my TV). 

The license of Eternal Darkness is completely Nintendo's though, Silicon Knights just was contracted by Nintendo to make it. Nintendo has kept renewing the Eternal Darkness trademark for a few cycles now, so I feel like it's a safe bet to say that we'll either see a remake/port or a new game in the series, possibly both with a port to test the waters.

I'd love rhe Metroid Prime trilogy though games like that wouldn't just be VC, it'd be a remaster, like Mario Kart 8 on the Switch or Wind Waker on the Wii U.

And yeah, if the Vita already has problems connecting to the PS4 then I wouldn't bet on the Wii U faring any better.

I'm not sure what genre I'd call Blaster Master Zero. Wikpedia calls the original a Metroidvania, which is arguably true. The phrase really didn't kick in until Symphony of the Night came out, but I guess it should include games retroactively. I haven't played enough of the game to say either way, but if certain areas are blocked off until you return with an upgrade, then it should qualify IMO. I'm glad to hear the map eventually makes sense... I'll try it again at some point, but honestly I have enough games that it will be a while. I still haven't touched Mario+Rabbids! My goal of finishing the 50cc cups in MK8D first got sidetracked by me spending my weeknights alternating between Kingdom Hearts 2 on PS4 and No More Heroes on Wii U. Hmm, I just realized I'm using 2 consoles to play remastered/backcompat games right now... interesting. Anyway, I'm almost done with NMH, but I should try to spend some time with my Switch every day, even if it's just one cup in MK8D. 

I see you're experiencing the same thing as me - so many cool games to play that you barely have time to miss VC. And yeah Blaster Master Zero is filled with going back and forth for the right upgrades. Last time I played I actually had to go right back to the start of the game from three worlds ahead to get to world number four.

No, I haven't played any pencil and paper puzzles apart from the occasional crosswords. I did try Sudoku a few times (digital versions though), which I hated. From what I just read on Wikipedia, nonograms looks somewhat similar... now I'll need to consider my purchase more carefully. 

I like sudokus, and nonograms are totally different. There's places online where you can try some for free.

This is my first time using my Switch to connect to other WiFi signals, so this may be the exception rather than the rule. Visiting friends should always be fine, since they typically use standard WPA2 Personal for WiFi. Apparently the Switch does support 5GHz, which is nice. A lot of laptops don't even support that. I'm not sure how hotels typically work where you travel, but in the USA most hotels use open WiFi that has landing website authentication. Supposedly it does work on Switch but the specific implementation at my work obviously doesn't. I just noticed that the Vita worked fine while the Switch did not, and I can only assume that the web browser is the determining factor there. Hopefully the Switch will get a full browser at some point. The current crippled one seems like a very weird design decision to me. 

I thought it was that the worse or more basic the browser is, the harder it is to hack into the console. Or something like that.

3 hours ago, syumisan said:

@BillyHorrible You aren't spamming if you are announcing possible new games and confirmed new games for the Switch :). Keep them flowing :)

Thanks both! 

2 hours ago, syumisan said:

It's like the info for Thimbleweed Park. Last night I literally looked it up to see what the game was about. It looks like a retro pc game which they wanted because the devs made games from that period. Seems very interesting. I never played a point and click old school game before either lol

I played the first minute or so, and I will play more in a while in handheld mode. Think I'll enjoy the game more on the small screen, like with Bulb Boy and Shovel Knight.

The graphics are a bit... Weird. The surroundings are beautiful and realistic, like in Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, but the characters have heads that are too large, like in Day Of The Tentacle but without the comic book overtones.

The music/sound is great from the start though and using a classic display was a great choice from them as I am compelled right awah. This will make for a fun game indeed, hope I get the time to finish all these cool games I'm buying.

Edited by BillyHorrible
typo

This just in: the three games from Tomorrow Corporation are now on a "15% off" sale, at least on the EU store. I already got World Of Goo and Human Resource Machine and it's not enough of a sale to get me to buy Little Inferno, but it might be enough for others on the fence about any of these games.

I know I can recommend both World Of Goo and Human Resource Machine, if you think it might be for you going by the trailers, and I believe @Super-Fly Spider-Guy was satisfied after getting World Of Goo mainly because of the BillyHorrible Stamp Of Approval.

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Wait, doesn't firmware 1.0 just mean that it's already there on the Switch before it ever connects to the internet for an update? It should still be available; in fact at least someone accessed it this year completely by accident and I don't think they would still have not updated the Switch.

The license of Eternal Darkness is completely Nintendo's though, Silicon Knights just was contracted by Nintendo to make it. Nintendo has kept renewing the Eternal Darkness trademark for a few cycles now, so I feel like it's a safe bet to say that we'll either see a remake/port or a new game in the series, possibly both with a port to test the waters.

I'd love rhe Metroid Prime trilogy though games like that wouldn't just be VC, it'd be a remaster, like Mario Kart 8 on the Switch or Wind Waker on the Wii U.

And yeah, if the Vita already has problems connecting to the PS4 then I wouldn't bet on the Wii U faring any better.

I see you're experiencing the same thing as me - so many cool games to play that you barely have time to miss VC. And yeah Blaster Master Zero is filled with going back and forth for the right upgrades. Last time I played I actually had to go right back to the start of the game from three worlds ahead to get to world number four.

I like sudokus, and nonograms are totally different. There's places online where you can try some for free.

I thought it was that the worse or more basic the browser is, the harder it is to hack into the console. Or something like that

What I read was that the people who discovered it did so by using Switches that had never connected to the internet, which is why I said normal Switch owners wouldn't have access. Time will tell if it is accessible to regular users. 

I didn't know that about Eternal Darkness, that's cool. 

In terms of Metroid Prime Trilogy, I see a few options. If Nintendo gets Gamecube emulation working, they could sell the VC emulated versions of Metroid Prime 1 & 2, but that would leave out MP3. The second possibility is that they get Wii emulation working, in which case they can sell the Wii version of MP Trilogy in VC (which included MP1&2 remastered for Wii, and the standard version of MP3). The third possibility is that they remaster MP Trilogy from the ground up, making it a Switch native game. I don't think it's possible for the Switch to emulate the Wii U (it's too new and powerful of a system) which is why MK8 had to be remastered. But it could be possible for the Switch to emulate the Gamecube and possibly the Wii. Time will tell. 

For connectivity, the Vita is different than the Wii U. The Vita uses standard 2.4GHz WiFi to connect to the PS4, so as long as you have a decent WiFi signal, you should be able to connect fine. I only get spotty coverage when I go pretty far. The Wii U Gamepad on the other hand, needs line-of-sight wireless connectivity to the Wii U console, so it is much more finicky than the Vita's WiFi. 

You have a point about not having enough time to miss the VC. Technically you are correct. At this point I want it more because it will turn the console into a more rounded gaming machine. Much like getting a Netflix app, it will make a good console even better. But honestly I probably wouldn't have time to play any VC games for a while. I have most of what I want on the 3DS anyway, in terms of NES and SNES games. Where the Switch VC is exciting to me is potential N64, Gamecube, and Wii games. That's where I could see it being a really big improvement over classic games on 3DS and Vita. 

I'll give some nonogram puzzles a try before I make up my mind about Picross. Thanks. 

I think you're correct, with a crippled browser the Switch is harder to hack. It's just something that makes it more inconvenient for regular users, much like the Vita's proprietary memory cards (which were used to make hacking the Vita harder, and in Sony's case it mostly worked... the Vita is much harder to hack than the PSP). 

Last night I played another 55CC cup in MK8D, I have about half of them left, then I think it will go on the shelf for me, and mostly come out for multiplayer when my parents and younger siblings visit. We played it last time they visited, with the Pro controller and 2 joy-cons we were able to play 3-player local multiplayer. It was pretty fun. I can't really justify getting more controllers at this point though. It would be cool if Switch ported Smash Bros (as everyone assumes will happen) and then supports the Wii U Gamecube controller adapter that I own and have used like twice. Maybe Switch can support it and use it in more games (on the Wii U it only worked in Smash)? I can dream, right? 

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

What I read was that the people who discovered it did so by using Switches that had never connected to the internet, which is why I said normal Switch owners wouldn't have access. Time will tell if it is accessible to regular users. 

They did that because it's possible with unconnected Switches to fool them with a fame date; not so easy once they've been connected. And it was possible to do with those Switches because the flog file was already there in 1.0 :D

In terms of Metroid Prime Trilogy, I see a few options. If Nintendo gets Gamecube emulation working, they could sell the VC emulated versions of Metroid Prime 1 & 2, but that would leave out MP3. The second possibility is that they get Wii emulation working, in which case they can sell the Wii version of MP Trilogy in VC (which included MP1&2 remastered for Wii, and the standard version of MP3). The third possibility is that they remaster MP Trilogy from the ground up, making it a Switch native game. I don't think it's possible for the Switch to emulate the Wii U (it's too new and powerful of a system) which is why MK8 had to be remastered. But it could be possible for the Switch to emulate the Gamecube and possibly the Wii. Time will tell.

Prime on the Wii only had the motion contrlls though, going to the Switch would mean people expect a regular control scheme as well. That's why I think remastering Wii games works better than VCing them.

For connectivity, the Vita is different than the Wii U. The Vita uses standard 2.4GHz WiFi to connect to the PS4, so as long as you have a decent WiFi signal, you should be able to connect fine. I only get spotty coverage when I go pretty far. The Wii U Gamepad on the other hand, needs line-of-sight wireless connectivity to the Wii U console, so it is much more finicky than the Vita's WiFi. 

Vita can also connect to PS4 outside of wifi, which is what I had been using. Not that it matters now, thanks to the Switch's success.

You have a point about not having enough time to miss the VC. Technically you are correct. At this point I want it more because it will turn the console into a more rounded gaming machine. Much like getting a Netflix app, it will make a good console even better. But honestly I probably wouldn't have time to play any VC games for a while. I have most of what I want on the 3DS anyway, in terms of NES and SNES games. Where the Switch VC is exciting to me is potential N64, Gamecube, and Wii games. That's where I could see it being a really big improvement over classic games on 3DS and Vita. 

I'd still love to get VC, just so I can get my N64 library back (sold the cartridges after the console all but died), and so I can digitalise my SNES library (I'm not nostalgic about cartridges, and seeing as how much some of them could net me, I'm well prepared to sell any cartridge title I can rebuy on the Switch).

I'll give some nonogram puzzles a try before I make up my mind about Picross. Thanks. 

You're welcome - feel free to ask about my opinion on the title next week, if I somehow forget to post it myself.

Last night I played another 55CC cup in MK8D, I have about half of them left, then I think it will go on the shelf for me, and mostly come out for multiplayer when my parents and younger siblings visit. We played it last time they visited, with the Pro controller and 2 joy-cons we were able to play 3-player local multiplayer. It was pretty fun. I can't really justify getting more controllers at this point though. It would be cool if Switch ported Smash Bros (as everyone assumes will happen) and then supports the Wii U Gamecube controller adapter that I own and have used like twice. Maybe Switch can support it and use it in more games? I can dream, right? 

Mario Kart is mostly only for multiplayer here now, too. Cool game but like all other Mario Karts, not something to play solo indefinitely. Great party game though. Don't know what you mean with 55cc, by the way. 50cc?

I'd rather have new Party/Smash titles that Wii U remastered ones.

I don't think Wii U gamepad connectivity will happen, I assume they would have done so for Kart if they were going to do it at all.

I also assume Nintendo does not want to have people associate the Switch with the Wii U.

Thimbleweed Park

If anyone still wanted my opinion on this (@Miles_Warren), yeah if you enjoyed the classic LucasArts point and click games then this is shaping up to be a definite buy.

Just fifteen minutes in and the game already had me literally laughing out loud at least twice, of which once almost uncontrollably. Don't want to spoil too much but once on the road, you'll see two people dressed up, and in the conversation eventually there's something about if you should be worried...

Also, made a separate thread about it on the game's subforum, but...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Prime on the Wii only had the motion contrlls though, going to the Switch would mean people expect a regular control scheme as well. That's why I think remastering Wii games works better than VCing them.

Vita can also connect to PS4 outside of wifi, which is what I had been using. Not that it matters now, thanks to the Switch's success.

I'd still love to get VC, just so I can get my N64 library back (sold the cartridges after the console all but died), and so I can digitalise my SNES library (I'm not nostalgic about cartridges, and seeing as how much some of them could net me, I'm well prepared to sell any cartridge title I can rebuy on the Switch).

You're welcome - feel free to ask about my opinion on the title next week, if I somehow forget to post it myself.

Mario Kart is mostly only for multiplayer here now, too. Cool game but like all other Mario Karts, not something to play solo indefinitely. Great party game though. Don't know what you mean with 55cc, by the way. 50cc?

I'd rather have new Party/Smash titles that Wii U remastered ones.

I don't think Wii U gamepad connectivity will happen, I assume they would have done so for Kart if they were going to do it at all.

I also assume Nintendo does not want to have people associate the Switch with the Wii U.

Yeah, I agree that having regular controls plus motion controls would be the best way to sell MP Trilogy now. But I also know that emulating games takes less work than remastering. However they do it, Nintendo should definitely get MP Trilogy on Switch prior to MP4, it would be a really smart marketing move. 

I'm not sure what you mean for Remote Play, but as far as I understand it, Vita can connect via the internet (this is how it works offsite, e.g. from work), or connect directly to the PS4 via a dedicated WiFi adapter on the PS4. Either way, it's using 2.4GHz WiFi and has more flexibility than the Wii U Gamepad. But it's certainly not 100% error prone, I sometimes have trouble at the further areas of my house. It's still way longer range than the Gamepad though. Anyway, the Switch does not have these issues since it does not stream gameplay. 

I agree about the VC. I don't have a physical library to digitize, but I'd still rather have my handful of classic NES/SNES games (e.g. Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros 3) on my Switch than my Wii U and 3DS. And I'll take the N64 games too. Maybe this will finally be the platform that gets me to finish the story in SM64 (I got close on the DS version though). 

I tried 2 or 3 puzzles online and now that I understand how they work, I can see the appeal. I think I will give Picross Switch a shot. 

And yeah, I meant 50cc, not 55. :)

I think many gamers are expecting a Smash (and maybe Party) port because of the "smashing" success of MK8D. On the other hand, a release next year could potentially be enough time for a brand new title. We'll see I guess. I don't have any stake in it either way, I can't really get into either series (although Party is closer to winning me over than Smash). I usually own one of each because Nintendo console owners are "supposed to", but I don't play them much. I did get all the way through the Smash Wii story campaign but Wii U dropped that element from the game. For the Wii U adapter, I was talking about the USB adapter that you could get for the Wii U to use Gamepad controllers. It only worked with Smash Bros though. My thought was that since it's a USB adapter, it could work on the Switch with little work, and Nintendo could resell them as Switch accessories and avoid the Wii U association. The whole reason they made that adapter for Wii U was because of the kooky "pro" Smash community though, who are fanatical about Gamecube controllers. I kind of doubt it will happen, but if it does I expect it will be for the next Smash game. 

1 hour ago, Miles_Warren said:

I never played Monkey Island before (I know. That is simply unacceptable) but I've played Day of the Tentacle and a few other Tim Schaffer point and click adventures. I'm definitely going to get it next week on the Switch. I love a game with a sense of humour :D

I actually skipped the first 2 games but the 3rd, 4th, and Tales from Monkey Island are great. Sadly the 3rd and 4th games are hard to play now because you need a Windows OS compatible with them. I'd love to see those get remastered, but like point and click games I no longer tolerate the "inscrutable puzzle" gameplay so I'd have to use a walkthrough. And that's when I start asking myself, "what's the point, am I really enjoying this?" But I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, the more people enjoying Tim's and Ron's demented humor, the better. So I hope you have a blast with Thimbleweed Park. Maybe I should find a good "let's play" video (without commentary) so I can enjoy the humor without getting frustrated by the gameplay. 

4 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

I never played Monkey Island before (I know. That is simply unacceptable) but I've played Day of the Tentacle and a few other Tim Schaffer point and click adventures. I'm definitely going to get it next week on the Switch. I love a game with a sense of humour :D

The two Monkey Island games are available on PS3, if you still have one. One or two annoying bugs in the port of the first one, though.

I heavily recommend playing Day Of The Tentacle and Full Throttle on the PS4, if you haven't already. There's also good emulators available on PC (Scumm VM) so you could also play Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis or Sam And Max Hit The Road.

Good times.

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I agree that having regular controls plus motion controls would be the best way to sell MP Trilogy now. But I also know that emulating games takes less work than remastering. However they do it, Nintendo should definitely get MP Trilogy on Switch prior to MP4, it would be a really smart marketing move. 

I'm betting on remaster; I know how the Metroid Prime graphics have aged.

I'm not sure what you mean for Remote Play, but as far as I understand it, Vita can connect via the internet (this is how it works offsite, e.g. from work), or connect directly to the PS4 via a dedicated WiFi adapter on the PS4. Either way, it's using 2.4GHz WiFi and has more flexibility than the Wii U Gamepad. But it's certainly not 100% error prone, I sometimes have trouble at the further areas of my house. It's still way longer range than the Gamepad though. Anyway, the Switch does not have these issues since it does not stream gameplay. 

I did the direct version but one wall or ten meters or whatever was already enough for it to stutter.

Hooray for the Switch!

I agree about the VC. I don't have a physical library to digitize, but I'd still rather have my handful of classic NES/SNES games (e.g. Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros 3) on my Switch than my Wii U and 3DS. And I'll take the N64 games too. Maybe this will finally be the platform that gets me to finish the story in SM64 (I got close on the DS version though). 

!

I 100%ed SM64 on the N64 so often, I lost count.

... And without stacking trophy lists.

I tried 2 or 3 puzzles online and now that I understand how they work, I can see the appeal. I think I will give Picross Switch a shot. 

Nice, hope you like it! At €8 for 300 puzzles, it's costing you under 2,7 cents per puzzle.

And yeah, I meant 50cc, not 55. :)

Could be you meant 250cc or something... Anyway personally I think you should try all cups at least once, to see them all.

I think many gamers are expecting a Smash (and maybe Party) port because of the "smashing" success of MK8D. On the other hand, a release next year could potentially be enough time for a brand new title. We'll see I guess. I don't have any stake in it either way, I can't really get into either series (although Party is closer to winning me over than Smash). I usually own one of each because Nintendo console owners are "supposed to", but I don't play them much. I did get all the way through the Smash Wii story campaign but Wii U dropped that element from the game.

I'm always calling Kart/Party/Smash the holy trinity of couch multiplayer, and I prefer them in that order, Kart being the best in my eyes. Very fun games to play together.

I actually skipped the first 2 games but the 3rd, 4th, and Tales from Monkey Island are great. Sadly the 3rd and 4th games are hard to play now because you need a Windows OS compatible with them. I'd love to see those get remastered, but like point and click games I no longer tolerate the "inscrutable puzzle" gameplay so I'd have to use a walkthrough. And that's when I start asking myself, "what's the point, am I really enjoying this?" But I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, the more people enjoying Tim's and Ron's demented humor, the better. So I hope you have a blast with Thimbleweed Park. Maybe I should find a good "let's play" video (without commentary) so I can enjoy the humor without getting frustrated by the gameplay. 

Monkey Island 1 is actually the very best Monkey Island! How have you not played that? What the hell are you going to say to someone if they say you fight like a dairy farmer?

I actually didn't play 3 and 4 and I didn't like Tales. I liked a few Telltale titles but often I'm a bit angry about what they did to one of my favourite genres.

I like the Tim/Ron logic but then again I've been exposed at an early age, and my brain can make weird leaps like that as well.

My hype for FE Warriors keeps on building. With the latest event in FE Heroes being Warriors themed, and we got a sneak peak at the music, it's so good. I absolutely loved the music in Hyrule Warriors, the remixes were so good, and it seems the trend is continuing with this game as well. The current roster, officially, is at 24 characters, but with the game still 5 days from release in JP, and Navarre being seen in the same trailer as Caeda, he could be revealed soon, and it could easily bump to 25, which would be a really nice number to start with. DLC will absolutely happen, probably the same was as Hyrule Warriors, and it'll be a Season Pass thing, which I'll buy right off the bat. They could also add the villain characters, Validar being the only one revealed right now, for free later in an update, also similar to Hyrule Warriors when they added Cia, Wizzro, and Volga. Or hell, maybe they just gotta be unlocked, who knows? Echoes and FE 7 characters seem like they'll be the first batch, since Lyn and Celica are already in it, and not part of the main focus of Shadow Dragons, Awakening, or Fates. I imagine PoR/RD, SS, and FE6 characters will get some time to shine later, and hopefully some obscure games as well, like Thracia 776 or Genealogy. I do hope a full armored unit will be in the game, as there isn't one right now, closest we have is Freddy. I figure Hector will fill that role when the time comes, though. Next month can't come soon enough. I'm kinda thankful that this is coming out on both Switch and New3DS, since that pretty much nullifies (I hope) the chances of them making a kind of pseudo update ala Hyrule Warriors Legends that adds a new storyline and characters, I don't wanna get a whole other game to add the characters back to the version I already have.

17 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Monkey Island 1 is actually the very best Monkey Island! How have you not played that? What the hell are you going to say to someone if they say you fight like a dairy farmer?

I actually didn't play 3 and 4 and I didn't like Tales. I liked a few Telltale titles but often I'm a bit angry about what they did to one of my favourite genres.

I like the Tim/Ron logic but then again I've been exposed at an early age, and my brain can make weird leaps like that as well.

If you didn't play 3 and 4, you technically can't say 1 is the best! Just like I can't say 3 is the best without playing 1 & 2. :)

But what I CAN say is that 3 is the best of 3, 4, and Tales, and it's a great game in its own right. 3 introduces Murray, who is just a fantastic character. He pops up in Tales but he's one of the main characters in 3. Also, the graphics in 3 were similar to the ones they used in the 1&2 remasters (although the characters looked better in 3 than in the 1&2 remasters). 

Anyway, as for why I didn't play MI1, I started with 3 and the voice acting made the game for me. By the time the first two games were remastered with voice acting, I had lost interest in that insane puzzle logic gameplay. I was exposed at an early age also, I know I played Full Throttle when it came out (I was 15 then). But that game was shorter than the others, and it was less grueling to get through. One day I'll probably go back to play the remastered versions of 1 and 2, but I will be armed with a walkthrough. 

Oh, and as for the dairy farmer comment, 3 (and I think 4) had fully-fleshed out insult sword fighting. It basically did all the stuff 1 and 2 did, but with better graphics and voice acting. And it had insanely frustrating puzzle logic, which is a hallmark of those creators. :P

Last night I started Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS and SteamWorld Dig 2 on Switch. What? Starting 2 Metroidvanias at once? Yeah, that's just how this crazy man rolls. I played them both for about 90 minutes each, and they are both fantastic. If anyone has played and enjoyed a 2D Metroid, I wholeheartedly recommend Samus Returns. Trust me, it's a perfect excuse to pull your 3DS out and give it some love again if you've mostly abandoned it for the Switch. Nintendo MIGHT port it to the Switch in the future, but it's worth playing now. 

If you liked SteamWorld Dig even a little bit, I think you will enjoy the sequel. It improves on the original in all the right ways. The collect loot-upgrade loop is very satisfying, and I always want to play just a little more, and before I know it it's been 30 minutes after I meant to stop. I've only tried Handheld mode so far, but I think the Switch version is the definitive one since you can seamlessly transition to docked mode. I will give that a try tonight. I did consider holding out for the PS4/Vita crossbuy version (which comes out next week, so it's not a long exclusive period), but it just feels at home on the Switch and I don't care about losing out on the trophies. Also, I remember SWD1 was not cross-save on PS4/Vita, so I would effectively be playing only on the Vita. Here I can "switch" back and forth whenever I want. 

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Thanks for the heads up. Even though my Nintendo account is probably the account that I'm least worried about getting hacked into, 2-step verification is always good, so I enabled it.

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

If you didn't play 3 and 4, you technically can't say 1 is the best! Just like I can't say 3 is the best without playing 1 & 2. :)

Technically, I can.

I can and will do so because Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer were the great minds behind the first two Monkey Island games. Three and four were made with zero input from them and don't count as true Monkey Island games toe, Tales gets some pity points for having Dave Grossman involved and some minimal input from Gilbert but it doesn't really count either.

It's like watching the Community season that wasn't done by Dan Harmon - sure, it has a few memorable moments and Harmon is really not perfect, but it's just not Community without him, just like it's not really Monkey Island unless either Schafer or Gilbert was extensively involved with writing, preferably both.

To me, Monkey Island is a planned trilogy of which only the first two games have been released. Notice how I said to Miles that "the two Monkey Island games are available on PS3", not "the FIRST two". That wasn't unintentionally, it was a hint at my full opinion.

But what I CAN say is that 3 is the best of 3, 4, and Tales, and it's a great game in its own right. 3 introduces Murray, who is just a fantastic character. He pops up in Tales but he's one of the main characters in 3. Also, the graphics in 3 were similar to the ones they used in the 1&2 remasters (although the characters looked better in 3 than in the 1&2 remasters). 

Anyway, as for why I didn't play MI1, I started with 3 and the voice acting made the game for me. By the time the first two games were remastered with voice acting, I had lost interest in that insane puzzle logic gameplay. I was exposed at an early age also, I know I played Full Throttle when it came out (I was 15 then). But that game was shorter than the others, and it was less grueling to get through. One day I'll probably go back to play the remastered versions of 1 and 2, but I will be armed with a walkthrough. 

Oh, and as for the dairy farmer comment, 3 (and I think 4) had fully-fleshed out insult sword fighting. It basically did all the stuff 1 and 2 did, but with better graphics and voice acting. And it had insanely frustrating puzzle logic, which is a hallmark of those creators. :P

Played some more Thimbleweed today and there's not that much insane logic yet, objectively speaking since I still "get" insane logic. It helps that at all times, there's a logbook of sorts in your inventory which automatically keeps track of what you should be doing at any given point.

Personally I'd say, try to give Thimbleweed Park a chance. It's very funny, and for now (played just under two hours) I did not yet encounter any puzzles that couldn't be solved by logical thinking.

Last night I started Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS and SteamWorld Dig 2 on Switch. What? Starting 2 Metroidvanias at once? Yeah, that's just how this crazy man rolls. I played them both for about 90 minutes each, and they are both fantastic. If anyone has played and enjoyed a 2D Metroid, I wholeheartedly recommend Samus Returns. Trust me, it's a perfect excuse to pull your 3DS out and give it some love again if you've mostly abandoned it for the Switch. Nintendo MIGHT port it to the Switch in the future, but it's worth playing now. 

I never enjoyed the 2D Metroid games, though I might do now. I've sold my 3DS though because I didn't use it at all any more.

If you liked SteamWorld Dig even a little bit, I think you will enjoy the sequel. It improves on the original in all the right ways. The collect loot-upgrade loop is very satisfying, and I always want to play just a little more, and before I know it it's been 30 minutes after I meant to stop. I've only tried Handheld mode so far, but I think the Switch version is the definitive one since you can seamlessly transition to docked mode. I will give that a try tonight. I did consider holding out for the PS4/Vita crossbuy version (which comes out next week, so it's not a long exclusive period), but it just feels at home on the Switch and I don't care about losing out on the trophies. Also, I remember SWD1 was not cross-save on PS4/Vita, so I would effectively be playing only on the Vita. Here I can "switch" back and forth whenever I want. 

I'll definitely get SteamWorld Dig 2 at some point but not for €20, I didn't enjoy the first game THAT much. I'd rather wait on Runner3, L.A. Noire, The Fall 2, Shakedown Hawaii and several others to spendy money on day one.

Edited by BillyHorrible
typo

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Technically, I can.

I can and will do so because Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer were the great minds behind the first two Monkey Island games. Three and four were made with zero input from them and don't count as true Monkey Island games toe, Tales gets some pity points for having Dave Grossman involved and some minimal input from Gilbert but it doesn't really count either.

It's like watching the Community season that wasn't done by Dan Harmon - sure, it has a few memorable moments and Harmon is really not perfect, but it's just not Community without him, just like it's not really Monkey Island unless either Schafer or Gilbert was extensively involved with writing, preferably both.

To me, Monkey Island is a planned trilogy of which only the first two games have been released. Notice how I said to Miles that "the two Monkey Island games are available on PS3", not "the FIRST two". That wasn't unintentionally, it was a hint at my full opinion.

Suit yourself, you can certainly hold to that opinion. You're missing out on some very funny games though, and as I said the stupidly illogical puzzles are there in full force. :P

I kind of see it like Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry died before DS9 aired but that doesn't stop me from loving the show as a great Star Trek show. I love Gene's vision in TOS and TNG but I think DS9 kept his vision alive in new and exciting ways. Maybe it's inaccurate for me to claim Monkey Island 3 and 4 kept the spirit of the series alive since I have not played 1 and 2 yet, but they certainly display great humor, and what I consider similar to the non-MI games I've played that Schafer and Gilbert made. 

Anyway, it's kind of a moot point since realistically, very few people are going to hunt down used copies of MI 3 and 4, and get a retro PC working that can play them. I guess playthroughs of them are probably on Youtube though. 

My recommendations of Metroid Samus Returns and SWD2 weren't directed at you, @BillyHorrible, they were just general recommendations. I know you're not going to go buy a 3DS again just to play MSR (whereas I actually would do so, if I had sold my 3DS or didn't have one currently). 2D Metroids are where I got into the series. I skipped Metroid 1 and 2 because they are too dated now (I love unpopular opinions!) but Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission are all masterpieces in my opinion. My only real complaint about Samus Returns is that you can only move with the control pad, and not the D-pad. That is a silly design decision. The D-pad has another function but it's used rarely enough that it could have been kept on the touchscreen and freed up the D-pad for movement. Anyway, this game is especially exciting to me because Metroid 2 was the only 2D Metroid game I haven't finished (I count Zero Mission as finishing Metroid 1, since it's a remake of it). Now I can finally complete the entire 2D series. Then I can go back to Metroid Prime and finally dig into the 3D series. I like what I've played of MP1 but the gameplay doesn't keep me engaged as much as the 2D games. Part of it is probably the Trilogy version's Wiimote controls. They work pretty well but I'd rather play them with a regular controller. 

As for SWD2, it's definitely worth $20 if you loved the first game like I did. If you only found it okay, it might be better to wait for SWD2 to go on sale, or just skip it altogether. It improves on the first game but I don't think it's going to convert anyone who didn't really like the first one. 

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I bought Metroid: Samus Returns on release day but haven't started it yet because I'm in the middle of playing Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS. Samus is back but she had to go to my backlog... Too many games. Send help.

GRA GRA GRA THE HANDHELD SCREEN IS ONLY 720P PEASANT SHIT FSKLJSJEKKJLDJKLF

Yeah... well...

pqfUNL0.jpg

I noticed that with the Grey joycons, it looked strikingly similar to my phone, so I wanted to see how they looked "side by side". My phone has a 5 inch display and is obviously 1080p, and yet... the difference in quality on them isn't as big as you'd think. I think the Switch handheld mode's 720p actually looks really outstanding. So much so that it looks pretty good next to my $800 phone...

Random post is random, I know. But it's important for me to express how good the screen is because earlier this year I was very vocally against the Switch due to its specs, and now I got one despite that.

I just bought the Switch yesterday so go ahead and laugh at all the demo games I have on it. It'll look more impressive soon. :P Originally I was going to replace the grey joy cons and get the coloured ones, now I think I'll be keeping them and getting the coloured ones in a few months since I actually really enjoy how they look when paired with the Switch.

• Like 2

On 21.9.2017 at 1:31 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Sorry to be spamming again, but...

There's a Picross game coming to the Switch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-20-puzzle-favourite-picross-headed-to-nintendo-switch

3ZCslA4.jpg

I never played these games before but I've bought a fair few paper nonogram books over the years, this looks like fun and I'll buy it right away when it releases.

It releases next week, costs €8 and should have 300 puzzles, as well as a two player mode.

Hm, nice! I've played a few Picross games on 3DS, plus the Mario one on Wii U VC, and could be fun to try out more :D

Edited by Zanreo

On 9/22/2017 at 7:14 AM, BillyHorrible said:

This just in: the three games from Tomorrow Corporation are now on a "15% off" sale, at least on the EU store. I already got World Of Goo and Human Resource Machine and it's not enough of a sale to get me to buy Little Inferno, but it might be enough for others on the fence about any of these games.

I know I can recommend both World Of Goo and Human Resource Machine, if you think it might be for you going by the trailers, and I believe @Super-Fly Spider-Guy was satisfied after getting World Of Goo mainly because of the BillyHorrible Stamp Of Approval.

Wasn't live for us then, but can confirm it's now at least live in AU. Weirdly 14% off though, they come up as 11.05 which is just an ugly number. Not too much off the normal 13 they've been at for a while, so I doubt it would push anyone over the fence, but yeah, if you're after World of Goo, I can definitely recommend. Not really something I'd have ever otherwise checked out on my own, but I ended up dumping a good ten hours into it and loving (almost) every minute (there's the odd level I was stuck on for a bit that sucked though).

Alright boys and...well, actually I think it's just us boys in here. Anyway, I'm back and I know you all missed me, so much so that you'll send me nudes to blackmail you with later via PM. That aside, not much else to say really. I think I'm just gonna do a little shopping list at the end of this bit that y'all should quote and hit me back with what you'll be getting on the list. What's new with me for Switch? Um,

1. I bought Lichtspeer a week or two back whenever it dropped. The trailer's humour won me over and I dumped the remainder of my Switch Survey Supremacy into it. Was it worth what I paid? Probably not, do I enjoy it immensely anyway, fuck yeah I do. It's like a really well made flash game from yesteryear, in fact, my nostalgia for the flash game Bow Man, along with Lichtspeer's trailer, is what pushed me over the line into buying it anyway.

2. That corded Horipad for Switch is on sale for 46 new in EB and I'm tempted to think of a way to return the Pokken pad I bought to them to get the 27 back and dump it into the Hori sucker. It's not worth the 60 they wanted, but for under 50 I can go it, and I feel the 19 buck gap over the Pokken pad is worth it. See, I enjoy the Pokken pad and actually prefer it for most 2D games I've been playing on Switch, but those extra buttons will come in handy down the line, even if I got the Pokken pad mostly as a cheap way to play the Lego games in two player, which is probably all I'll REALLY be playing in two player that won't work with the split joy con. So someone help me out with this one. Do I stick with my 27 dollar serviceable Pokken pad, do I try to return it now even after months of ownership (I have the box and receipt and since EB are satan I don't mind lying and returning it under warranty), do I pay the 46 and buy the Horipad and throw it in the pile, do I do some combination of these options, or do I just not give a shit because realistically I ain't gonna be playing much two player anyway and the two player I will play (MarioKart and NBA) works already with joy con split.

3. I picked up a 128gb micro SD card online from some crazy ass shop in fuck knows where for the lump sum of 14 bucks and change. Better yet, it actually came and it actually holds 128gb. And no, it's not one of those times it says it does, but then mysteriously fills up at like 30gb, I put around 120gb of movies on there before formatting and dumping it into my Switch to test it out. The read and write speeds were fucking terrible and it took a couple hours, but it held the data fine, so I'm stoked at that price point. This should do me for a bit with my Switch hopefully. 

4. Shopping list time. Because I fucking love lists. I'll be grabbing these suckers on launch day for my baby Switch, should keep me busy until the end of the year hopefully.

Super Mario Odyssey - end of October

Lego Marvel 2 - mid November

LA Noire - mid November

Skyrim - mid November (though I may wait since the re-release dipped real quick in price on PS4/Xbone)

Shakedown Hawaii - please come out this year

Doom - holiday 2017 (may also wait since I played on Xbone, have on PS4, and the price is dirt cheap on PS4/Xbone, may also cave and day one, 50/50 really)

And they're just some of the ones I remember. On top of that, I'll probably be playing a shitload of Battlefront 2 when I get the chance anyway. I'll be fucked next year when my course goes back into full 5 days a week, this whole semester being 2 days a week most weeks has been a blessing and a half to me wasting my free time.

And Sonic Forces, which is like early November I think.

And Rocket League.

And Flipping Death.

And Brawlout, that has mysteriously disappeared from the coming soon tab.

You dick, not jumping into the previous post. Sheeeeet.

I knew there was something else I wanted to mention.

I got my first amiibo the other day. (No, I have not been turned, I still don't give a single shit about them and think there's nothing they could ever do to change me)

I was at work and was leaning over a fence and pulling some basketballs and shit off someone's garage next door (I was in the playground, by the way, I was working at a childcare centre, I should say) and then I saw a Sonic amiibo sitting on the garage. I'm like what the shit is Sonic doing up there? Anyway, so I grab it, and go take it to the lost and found. No one came for it, no one had said they lost it, it was pretty obviously a kid throwing it over the fence, but no one was missing it apparently. My guess is a kid took their sibling/parent's amiibo and threw it away for a laugh, either way, no one came for it and now I have a Sonic amiibo. Coolly enough, I almost bought that exact one when the Wii U was still a thing because I felt like playing as Sonic in Mario Maker would be as close as I could get to inbreeding in a game, glad I did not pay for it now. Also it gave me some shitty suit in Mario Kart, which is nice I guess, even if I never play as the Miis anyway.

First of: INSIDE will launch for the Switch at some point. Played and loved it on PS4 and if the priceis right, I will definitely buy it on the Switch for a future holiday play.

header.jpg?t=1494338023

On 24/09/2017 at 0:35 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

Suit yourself, you can certainly hold to that opinion. You're missing out on some very funny games though, and as I said the stupidly illogical puzzles are there in full force. :P

It's not that I refused to play them; I didn't play the originals until the remakes because like you, I had grown accustomed tospeech when I found out about these games.

I kind of see it like Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry died before DS9 aired but that doesn't stop me from loving the show as a great Star Trek show. I love Gene's vision in TOS and TNG but I think DS9 kept his vision alive in new and exciting ways. Maybe it's inaccurate for me to claim Monkey Island 3 and 4 kept the spirit of the series alive since I have not played 1 and 2 yet, but they certainly display great humor, and what I consider similar to the non-MI games I've played that Schafer and Gilbert made. 

Ooooh, remind me to put on Netflix tonight as Star Trek Discovery starts. I'm not a big Trekkie but I am interested in the new show.

I have varying degrees of accepting work. I still watched the Harmon-less Community season. I love Jurassic World even though Crichton had nothing to do with it. I am a diehard Star Wars fan and I embraced the purchase by Disney from the start, mainly because they had proven with Marvel that they could do a "hands-off and let better men decide" approach. It helps that Iread a lot of the EU before and I know that giving Star Wars to non-Lucas writers can work outvery well, like with Timothy Zahn.

With Monkey Island though, Schafer obviously had a plan to conclude the trilogy, and it's that conclusion that I want to know, not the replacement ideas by others. It's like if George R.R. Martin would die now and someone else decided to write the final Song Of Ice And Fire books.

My recommendations of Metroid Samus Returns and SWD2 weren't directed at you, @BillyHorrible, they were just general recommendations. I know you're not going to go buy a 3DS again just to play MSR (whereas I actually would do so, if I had sold my 3DS or didn't have one currently). 2D Metroids are where I got into the series. I skipped Metroid 1 and 2 because they are too dated now (I love unpopular opinions!) but Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission are all masterpieces in my opinion. My only real complaint about Samus Returns is that you can only move with the control pad, and not the D-pad. That is a silly design decision. The D-pad has another function but it's used rarely enough that it could have been kept on the touchscreen and freed up the D-pad for movement. Anyway, this game is especially exciting to me because Metroid 2 was the only 2D Metroid game I haven't finished (I count Zero Mission as finishing Metroid 1, since it's a remake of it). Now I can finally complete the entire 2D series. Then I can go back to Metroid Prime and finally dig into the 3D series. I like what I've played of MP1 but the gameplay doesn't keep me engaged as much as the 2D games. Part of it is probably the Trilogy version's Wiimote controls. They work pretty well but I'd rather play them with a regular controller. 

Yeah I know it wasn't directed at me, still felt like replying though.

As for SWD2, it's definitely worth $20 if you loved the first game like I did. If you only found it okay, it might be better to wait for SWD2 to go on sale, or just skip it altogether. It improves on the first game but I don't think it's going to convert anyone who didn't really like the first one. 

I loved the first game for a €5 game, not really for a €20 game. I'll play the stuff I really want to play and I'll see SteamWorld Dig 2 a year or two down the line.

7 hours ago, Valyrious said:

GRA GRA GRA THE HANDHELD SCREEN IS ONLY 720P PEASANT SHIT FSKLJSJEKKJLDJKLF

Yeah... well...

pqfUNL0.jpg

I noticed that with the Grey joycons, it looked strikingly similar to my phone, so I wanted to see how they looked "side by side". My phone has a 5 inch display and is obviously 1080p, and yet... the difference in quality on them isn't as big as you'd think. I think the Switch handheld mode's 720p actually looks really outstanding. So much so that it looks pretty good next to my $800 phone...

Random post is random, I know. But it's important for me to express how good the screen is because earlier this year I was very vocally against the Switch due to its specs, and now I got one despite that.

I just bought the Switch yesterday so go ahead and laugh at all the demo games I have on it. It'll look more impressive soon. :P Originally I was going to replace the grey joy cons and get the coloured ones, now I think I'll be keeping them and getting the coloured ones in a few months since I actually really enjoy how they look when paired with the Switch.

Welcome to the club, which games do you plan on getting?

42 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

Hm, nice! I've played a few Picross games on 3DS, plus the Mario one on Wii U VC, and could be fun to try out more :D

I'm hoping a few of the puzzles in this one are Nintendo themed, that seems like fun.

22 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Alright boys and...well, actually I think it's just us boys in here. 

Actually there's a few ladygirls in here as well.

22 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

3. I picked up a 128gb micro SD card online from some crazy ass shop in fuck knows where for the lump sum of 14 bucks and change. Better yet, it actually came and it actually holds 128gb. And no, it's not one of those times it says it does, but then mysteriously fills up at like 30gb, I put around 120gb of movies on there before formatting and dumping it into my Switch to test it out. The read and write speeds were fucking terrible and it took a couple hours, but it held the data fine, so I'm stoked at that price point. This should do me for a bit with my Switch hopefully. 

Personally I just forked over the cash for a Sandisk one.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

It's not that I refused to play them; I didn't play the originals until the remakes because like you, I had grown accustomed tospeech when I found out about these games.

Ooooh, remind me to put on Netflix tonight as Star Trek Discovery starts. I'm not a big Trekkie but I am interested in the new show.

I have varying degrees of accepting work. I still watched the Harmon-less Community season. I love Jurassic World even though Crichton had nothing to do with it. I am a diehard Star Wars fan and I embraced the purchase by Disney from the start, mainly because they had proven with Marvel that they could do a "hands-off and let better men decide" approach. It helps that Iread a lot of the EU before and I know that giving Star Wars to non-Lucas writers can work outvery well, like with Timothy Zahn.

With Monkey Island though, Schafer obviously had a plan to conclude the trilogy, and it's that conclusion that I want to know, not the replacement ideas by others. It's like if George R.R. Martin would die now and someone else decided to write the final Song Of Ice And Fire books.

I guess I need to move the PS3 remakes up on my to-do list. I'd love to have them on the go though... are you listening Nintendo? 

Fair enough about accepting work. I was actually thinking about Star Wars as an example of creators changing, but I went with Star Trek instead. Obviously LucasArts wasn't going to let the Monkey Island license dry up, and Schafer left LA of his own free will. I think he could have stayed and completed the trilogy if he wanted. Also, I don't think he had anything to do with the remasters so aren't they already "compromised"? Anyway, enough about that, I don't mean to sound like I'm just arguing for its own sake. 

Speaking of Zahn, have you watched SW Rebels? I'm catching up on Season 3, and as Google will quickly tell you, Thrawn appears several times. I was so giddy seeing him. I think they got the voice down perfectly, and I even heard his ship referred to as the Chimaera. I love how Dave Filoni uses the best bits of the EU and makes them "Disney canon". I hope he stays with Star Wars in some capacity after Rebels finishes this upcoming season (the final one). IMO that man is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since it started. 

This weekend I took advantage of the Tomorrow Children sale and picked up Human Resource Machine and Little Inferno. I played Little Inferno for about 30 minutes last night, and it's weird. It's not even really a game IMO, it's more of an interactive screen saver? But it's amusing. Personally I would recommend waiting until it's 50% off though. I'll try HRM soon. I also played some more World of Goo, and enjoyed the few levels I played. I need to stick with it and finish it. Other than that I played another 2 cups in MK8D and also played a lot more SWD2. I think SWD2 works really well in handheld mode. When I tried it in docked mode, the Pro Controller didn't feel as natural as the joy-cons. I haven't tried using the joy-cons separated yet, but my instincts tell me handheld mode is the best way to play. 

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

4. Shopping list time. Because I fucking love lists. I'll be grabbing these suckers on launch day for my baby Switch, should keep me busy until the end of the year hopefully.

Super Mario Odyssey - end of October

Lego Marvel 2 - mid November

LA Noire - mid November

Skyrim - mid November (though I may wait since the re-release dipped real quick in price on PS4/Xbone)

Shakedown Hawaii - please come out this year

Doom - holiday 2017 (may also wait since I played on Xbone, have on PS4, and the price is dirt cheap on PS4/Xbone, may also cave and day one, 50/50 really)\

3. What kind of dodgy SD cards have you bought in the past? I've never had one falsely report size before, but I have had a handful of cards go bad, and that was using SanDisk. 

4. I have Super Mario Odyssey preordered with AC Origins from Best Buy. They're both coming out the same day which is just crazy for my backlog! 

I'm torn about LA Noire, Skyrim, LEGO Marvel 2, and Doom. I have LA Noire on PS3 and Skyrim and Doom on PS4. I've played a few "cases" in LA Noire but the trophies aren't really motivating me to play more. It's a little clunky on PS3 too. I am tempted by the Switch port; hopefully it performs better, and I think the touch controls sound interesting (they don't seem to just be a gimmick in this particular situation). Skyrim and Doom are both in my PS4 backlog, and I think having them portable would be amazing, but I'm not convinced that I need to repurchase at full price. Maybe I should wait for a sale. LEGO Marvel 2 is a game I'm definitely getting, but I'm not sure where to play it yet. Having it portable would be sweet, but I have a nice track record going on PS3/PS4/Vita of Platinuming every LEGO game (except the last 3, I'm a bit behind - I don't count LEGO City Undercover since I 100% completed it on Wii U and don't want to go through that again). I don't care much about trophies anymore but LEGO is the one series where I have a neat/pointless Platinum pattern going. I'm pretty sure I'll get Shakedown on Switch, it seems like a great platform for it.