PlayStation Now will only work on PS4 and PC starting from August 15th

crimsonidol38

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

It's clear that the PS4 is never going to be able to emulate PS3 games. They would have done it by now. However, I don't see why the PS5 wouldn't be able to. Surely the substantial power difference would allow them to "brute force" the emulation, much like how emulators on PC work. Whether Sony would want to do that is another matter entirely, though. I mean the PS4 is more than capable of PS1 emulation, but where is it? The PS2 classic support has been pretty lacklustre thus far too. I could see Sony keep pushing the whole PS Now thing instead of giving us actual hardware emulation and that sucks.

I think Sony could learn a thing or two from Microsoft when it comes to backwards compatibility, which is weird when you consider how Sony kinda pioneered that stuff back in the day. I mean you can play Xbox 360 games on Xbox One, and from what we've been told, you're going to be able to play Xbox One games on Scorpio. It would be foolish if Sony didn't allow PS4 games to be played on PS5. Considering these consoles use PC architecture now, it should be fairly straightforward. They don't have an excuse for that one like they did with PS3 backwards compatibility. PS Now is an interesting idea, but it can't beat actual emulation.

Frankly I am not even sure if the next console we get from Sony is the PS5. For all we know they might be going in the same direction Microsoft is, but that is a topic for another day. 

Whatever the next console we get from Sony is I don't think it will be backwards compatible with PS3 not because the system isn't capable of emulating PS3 games, but because I don't really think Sony cares. There is more money to be made with PS Now than there is to have PS3 backwards compatibility. 

In regards to PS4 backwards compatibility I think it would be foolish on Sony's part not to do that especially since these it's probably fair to assume all consoles going forward will have the x86 architecture. 

2 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Frankly I am not even sure if the next console we get from Sony is the PS5. For all we know they might be going in the same direction Microsoft is, but that is a topic for another day. 

Whatever the next console we get from Sony is I don't think it will be backwards compatible with PS3 not because the system isn't capable of emulating PS3 games, but because I don't really think Sony cares. There is more money to be made with PS Now than there is to have PS3 backwards compatibility. 

In regards to PS4 backwards compatibility I think it would be foolish on Sony's part not to do that especially since these it's probably fair to assume all consoles going forward will have the x86 architecture. 

Well, I can't say for sure that it's going to be a PS5, but Mark Cerny made it pretty clear the the PS4 Pro wasn't intended to "blur the lines" between console generations. They still seem to very much believe in the console generation structure while Microsoft are taking a different approach.

As sad as that is, I think you're probably right. Backwards compatibility is a very consumer-friendly move, which is why it was a smart thing for Microsoft's to add that to the Xbox One after the disaster that was the console's launch. They gained a lot of respect back from that move. Microsoft have a lot of money to burn, though, so they can afford to do things like that. Sony on the other hand do not. They invested a lot of money into that streaming service, so I doubt they're just going to abandon it.

Yeah, I agree. It worked out for them at the start of this generation because Microsoft also chose not to have backwards compatibility from the start either. They can't get away with that again. I suspect the PS5 (or whatever it'll be called) will even be able to run those games better like the PS4 Pro does to PS4 games. We'll have to see, though. I'm very interested to see what the Scorpio actually is. It might end up forcing Sony's hand on a few things so they don't appear like the weaker choice. This is why competition is good.

Project Scorpio is going to be really interesting to watch, but if the leaked specs are anything to go by I definitely don't think it's Microsoft's next gen console. If Scorpio isn't a next gen console then I don't really think it will end up forcing Sony's hand. 

If I were Sony though I would drop the price of the Pro this holiday season. I find it hard to believe that Scorpio is going to cost less than 499, and if it does end up costing 499 I think it would be a very smart decision on Sony's part to drop the price of the Pro by 50 bucks and bundle in a game as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Project Scorpio is going to be really interesting to watch, but if the leaked specs are anything to go by I definitely don't think it's Microsoft's next gen console. If Scorpio isn't a next gen console then I don't really think it will end up forcing Sony's hand. 

If I were Sony though I would drop the price of the Pro this holiday season. I find it hard to believe that Scorpio is going to cost less than 499, and if it does end up costing 499 I think it would be a very smart decision on Sony's part to drop the price of the Pro by 50 bucks and bundle in a game as well.

While I know where you're coming from, people feel confident with a product when it's cheaper than the direct competition (something I never understood or cared for because I don't count pennies, but alas, that's ME) I don't think Sony needs to price cut themselves to stay afloat with the Scorpio. The PS4 Pro is dominating the console market right now, while the Scorpio is at present a baby in a womb. And even when it rears it's ugly head and people scoop it up, Sony still has the games to convince people to continue to buy Pros. A new console refresh doesn't refresh the brand, especially when the games are just as shit as they always have been. 

Unless of course Microsoft is stealth brewing a The Last of Us esque game that will change the way we think of gaming. But we all know that'll never happen because they don't create innovative games. All they do is pay other people to make mediocre games for them. :)

2 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

While I know where you're coming from, people feel confident with a product when it's cheaper than the direct competition (something I never understood or cared for because I don't count pennies, but alas, that's ME) I don't think Sony needs to price cut themselves to stay afloat with the Scorpio. The PS4 Pro is dominating the console market right now, while the Scorpio is at present a baby in a womb. And even when it rears it's ugly head and people scoop it up, Sony still has the games to convince people to continue to buy Pros. A new console refresh doesn't refresh the brand, especially when the games are just as shit as they always have been. 

Unless of course Microsoft is stealth brewing a The Last of Us esque game that will change the way we think of gaming. But we all know that'll never happen because they don't create innovative games. All they do is pay other people to make mediocre games for them. :)

I don't believe the PS4 Pro is dominating the market. If anything I feel like the system is selling poorly judging by how I hear very few people talk about the system. The PS4 slim is what is dominating the market which isn't surprising since the PS4 Pro does appeal to a very niche group of people. 

Ultimately I expect Scorpio to appeal to a very small group of people as well. Neither of these systems are mean't to appeal to your average consumer, and I think both Sony and Microsoft know that. I would actually love to know what Sony's sale expectations for the Pro were because while we might look at how the Pro is doing, and think it's a failure Sony might look at that and say it's a big success. 

Ultimately the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S will remain relevant for many years to come, but since the Pro and Scorpio are appealing to such a small group of people both companies need to figure out how to dominate in that small area of the market. If Microsoft releases Scorpio for 499 I don't think Sony would have to drop the price of the Pro, but I do think they would probably sell a lot more Pros than Scorpios during the holiday season if they did drop the price to 350. 

If Scorpio costs 399 then I think the Pro is in trouble. 

1 minute ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I don't believe the PS4 Pro is dominating the market. If anything I feel like the system is selling poorly judging by how I hear very few people talk about the system. The PS4 slim is what is dominating the market which isn't surprising since the PS4 Pro does appeal to a very niche group of people. 

Ultimately I expect Scorpio to appeal to a very small group of people as well. Neither of these systems are mean't to appeal to your average consumer, and I think both Sony and Microsoft know that. I would actually love to know what Sony's sale expectations for the Pro were because while we might look at how the Pro is doing, and think it's a failure Sony might look at that and say it's a big success. 

Ultimately the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S will remain relevant for many years to come, but since the Pro and Scorpio are appealing to such a small group of people both companies need to figure out how to dominate in that small area of the market. If Microsoft releases Scorpio for 499 I don't think Sony would have to drop the price of the Pro, but I do think they would probably sell a lot more Pros than Scorpios during the holiday season if they did drop the price to 350. 

I'm sorry, but you're going to need a lot more fact checking than "judging how I hear few people talking about x system." If you ever tried to use that as any kind of refutable reason to debunk anything, you'd be laughed at. I'm not going to laugh at you, but I think that reasoning is pretty absurd.

I don't think either system appeal to a small group of people. The PS4 Pro just got its Beast Mode (and yes, I know that's not what it's proper name is but guess how little I care about technicalities), which provides significant boosts to gameplay in many old games. How is that new feature something that appeals to "a small group of people"? I know what you're going with this though. You are ASSUMING that only a small handful of console gamers have 4K TVs, which means that they won't be bothered to get a Pro or a Scorpio. Even if that is the case, there are loads of graphic whores out there that want more performance out of their games. Paying the extra $100 to get a Pro is worth it to more than just a "small group of people".

There is no reason to believe the Scorpio will cost less than $500. For goodness sake, look at how much Nintendo is charging for their Switch bullshit. You think the Scorpio will cost $100 more than the Switch? Maybe in a nice alternate reality where Microsoft isn't all about money.

16 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

There is no way in any reality the scorpio will cost 399. It will more than likely cost anywhere from 600-900 dollars with the rumored specs of it. The Pro has advantages of better framerates and overall performance in games that don't make having a 4k tv a necessity

44 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I'm sorry, but you're going to need a lot more fact checking than "judging how I hear few people talking about x system." If you ever tried to use that as any kind of refutable reason to debunk anything, you'd be laughed at. I'm not going to laugh at you, but I think that reasoning is pretty absurd.

I don't think either system appeal to a small group of people. The PS4 Pro just got its Beast Mode (and yes, I know that's not what it's proper name is but guess how little I care about technicalities), which provides significant boosts to gameplay in many old games. How is that new feature something that appeals to "a small group of people"? I know what you're going with this though. You are ASSUMING that only a small handful of console gamers have 4K TVs, which means that they won't be bothered to get a Pro or a Scorpio. Even if that is the case, there are loads of graphic whores out there that want more performance out of their games. Paying the extra $100 to get a Pro is worth it to more than just a "small group of people".

There is no reason to believe the Scorpio will cost less than $500. For goodness sake, look at how much Nintendo is charging for their Switch bullshit. You think the Scorpio will cost $100 more than the Switch? Maybe in a nice alternate reality where Microsoft isn't all about money.

Part of the reason why I believe the Pro isn't selling very well in the U.S. is simply because Sony isn't bragging about it's numbers like they usually do.I believe if the Pro was truly selling well we would know it was selling well from Sony themselves. Their marketing campaign for the Pro has also been rather poor in my opinion. I do think beast mode (even I call it that because it's looking like an awesome feature lol) is going to appeal to a lot of people, and I imagine there are some who will now buy a Pro just for that. That being said though the PS4 Pro is ultimately a system for 4K TV owners, and that is who it is mostly supposed to appeal to. In regards to the "graphics whores" I am of the mindset that most of the graphics whores who truly care about visuals and performance game on PC. 

If you have any articles about PS4 Pro sales I would love to read them, but from what I know the PS4 Pro has been very successful in the UK and that is about it.

As a PS4 Pro owner I am rather underwhelmed with the visual improvements I see in my games, and maybe it's still too early to judge but I find the Pro rather underwhelming at the moment. 

If the Xbox Division was still under the leadership of Don Mattrick, I would be betting money that it's going to cost 499, but I just don't think under Phil Spencer's leadership they are going to repeat the same mistake they made with the Xbox One launch. I think the Xbox team knows they have to price the Scorpio fairly if they want any chance of competing with the Pro, and to Sony's credit I think the Pro is priced very fairly. 

Edited by ratchetdude231