PlayStation Now will only work on PS4 and PC starting from August 15th

crimsonidol38

3 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

The online of ps3 won't never be closed. Game servers of different parts it depends, but most won't disclose as much 

They will keep the PS3 online as long as it continues to make them money. I wouldn't bet on it staying open forever. That's a long time. :P Maybe they will figure out a way to play PS3 games on the PS5 or something, eliminating the need to keep it running.

So PS Now will be limited to the current generation of consoles... the PS of now, if you would.

34 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Cutting the support for a bunch of devices puts you in a better position to grow the service... How does that work? :blink:

My thought is that performance could be optimized if they focus building the service for PC's and PS4's. With the PS3 having a different architecture and the other devices being weaker than a PS4/PC, they may be able to get more stable stream quality on the stronger hardware. I don't know crap about this stuff though, so I could be completely wrong.

5 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

They will keep the PS3 online as long as it continues to make them money. I wouldn't bet on it staying open forever. That's a long time. :P Maybe they will figure out a way to play PS3 games on the PS5 or something, eliminating the need to keep it running.

Well Sony includes the online aspect of everything from the store to all parts from ps3, vita, and ps4. So I don't think it would happen where they have to shut everything down where it won't happen even after those long years. It's all in together that needs to be up and running.  Maybe the money part i understand,but they would pay just to up the network where Sony has issues itself. 

Most likely they'll do that, but at the same time should still play ps3 games as well. 

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

10 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Hello? PSN includes all online-enabled Sony platforms except for PS2.

16 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

My thought is that performance could be optimized if they focus building the service for PC's and PS4's. With the PS3 having a different architecture and the other devices being weaker than a PS4/PC, they may be able to get more stable stream quality on the stronger hardware. I don't know crap about this stuff though, so I could be completely wrong.

I guess it makes sense if they made it a more appealing service to PS4/PC gamers since they haven't done a whole lot to win those over yet. It just seems weird to me because reducing the amount of compatible devices only limits your potential audience.

13 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

Well Sony includes the online aspect of everything from the store to all parts from ps3, vita, and ps4. So I don't think it would happen where they have to shut everything down where it won't happen even after those long years. Maybe the money part i understand,but they would pay just to up the network where Sony has issues itself. 

Most likely they'll do that, but at the same time should still play ps3 games as well. 

Well, they shut down the PSP store without it affecting anything else, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same here. People would probably be pissed if they didn't allow you to download your PS3 library anymore, so it makes sense that they would offer an alternative like being able to play your games on PS5 before they did.

8 minutes ago, T87 said:

Hello? PSN includes all online-enabled Sony platforms except for PS2.

Yes? Hello? Uhhh... wut? :P

Edited by Undead Wolf

2 minutes ago, FFHannibal said:

If this would mean that PS Now would run perfect (99.9%) of the time on PS4 and PC I wouldn't mind this too much, but I highly doubt that to be the case. And while they're at it can they lower the price too? :P

A week or two ago, they had a 1 Year for $99 special that I thought is the ideal price for a service like that. Apparently it's over now though. :(

14 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

So PS Now will be limited to the current generation of consoles... the PS of now, if you would.

Sony engineers can probably get more efficiency out of the controlled network chipsets of the PS4, but the network cards in Windows PCs can run the gamut so optimizing for both would be incredibly difficult. 

2 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

My theory is that this is the first steps to them putting PS4 games into Now. If they allowed PS4 games to be played on Vita and PS3, that wouldn't be good for them lol.

So you can play PS4 games on... PS4s??? Ummm... I don't know that too many people would look at that as a good idea. If Sony was dumb enough to try that, expect a price increase to match. Yes a price increase on a service that is already called way too expensive by many people.

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

Well, they shut down the PSP store without it affecting anything else, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same here. People would probably be pissed if they didn't allow you to download your PS3 library anymore, so it makes sense that they would offer an alternative like being able to play your games on PS5 before they did.

The PSP store never really tied into the PSN Store like the rest of the consoles did. And PSP games are still available in the PSN store, so it's not really shut down.

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

You can still download your purchases off the psp store, you just can't buy on there anymore

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

So you can play PS4 games on... PS4s??? Ummm... I don't know that too many people would look at that as a good idea

On PS3 you can only play PS3 games... And why would it come with a price increase? Whether they license a PS3 games or license a PS4 game the licensing fees will be roughly the same. Not to mention first party games that aren't selling much anymore and would cost them nothing to add would be a big draw to lure people on the fence in.

Edited by KingGuy420

@Undead Wolf like most people said, the  psp ain't exactly shut down despite of how old it is, they still can play it on ps2 classics on PSP when using psn or even ps3 store despite of Sony barely helping on improving that.  I don't think Sony won't ever disclose of re-download their own games on ps3 where it isn't going to happen since it still ties in as the servers for manly latest consoles(including ps3) and vita

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The PSP store never really tied into the PSN Store like the rest of the consoles did. And PSP games are still available in the PSN store, so it's not really shut down.

9 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

You can still download your purchases off the psp store, you just can't buy on there anymore

Just now, Superstarmaste1r said:

@Undead Wolf like most people said, the  psp ain't exactly shut down despite of how old it is, they still can play it on ps2 classics. I don't think Sony won't ever disclose of re-download their own games on ps3 where it isn't going to happen since it still ties in as the servers for manly latest consoles(including ps3) and vita

Maybe they will just shut down the store so you can only download your games through the web browser then. I'm not really sure how that all works. I just don't see them spending money on something if they aren't making any money in return.

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Maybe they will just shut down the store so you can only download your games through the web browser then. I'm not really sure how that all works. I just don't see them spending money on something if they aren't making any money in return.

Sony would still get money back since psn ties in all of its stuff where it truly won't help gamers out there who uses psn and uses psn in order to buy games from there of any part of gaming device they use. Then that would make less money for their demand of it. Either keep all of the parts up the way it is, or shut down the server in general that every part that Sony has made so they would ran out of money. It's not one console removes it's own server by their main part, it's their own that made the store running efficiency. 

This is a precursor to a price increase for PS+. Starting next fall it will be $175 a year and include PS Now. There will be no discounted option of a PS+ without PSNow and PS+ will still be required for PS4 online play.

? Just kidding.

? I hope.

59 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

No, there's no way to access the download list from the PSP itself. Hell you can't even log in anymore for whatever reason.

Thankfully you can still use the PS3, among other methods.

Edited by T87

"You know what? Buy a PS4 and fuck everything else"
It would not surprise me if Sony stops adding PS3 and PS Vita games to the PS Plus lineups anytime soon.
I do not expect anything and even so I'm disappointed.

Edited by RemiXounD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Cutting the support for a bunch of devices puts you in a better position to grow the service... How does that work? :blink:

Honestly, i don't know anyone who uses PS Now. It was a premature move on their part, much like OnLive was back in the day. Good internet infrastructure just isn't widespread enough to make this sort of thing viable. Maybe something like this will replace the need for consoles one day, but that day is a long way off. I mean many console gamers still drive to the store and pick up physical copies of their games. We don't like change. :P I have no doubt that we'll see a PS5 in around three years and it will be fully backwards compatible with PS4. It would be dumb of them to force this on us even further when people clearly aren't taking to it.

Since you're British you have more internet options to choose from. 

For those of us in the United States, we are stuck with one choice. Cable internet really isn't all that great. Comcast owns a ENORMOUS chunk of the internet landscape in the country, so they can do whatever the fuck they want, and charge us an arm and a leg every month.

That's not even taking into account the constant billing errors customers have to put up with, and generally slow internet service that leads to a region outage, leaving people even more pissed off. 

Now with the Donald Trump administration, they want to rid Net Neutrality and drive the costs of service even higher. Yeah, I say we're doing real good today.

It's a shame PS Now isn't panning out to be as good as it could be, but given Sonys track record of past services I'm not too surprised. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

On PS3 you can only play PS3 games... And why would it come with a price increase? Whether they license a PS3 games or license a PS4 game the licensing fees will be roughly the same. Not to mention first party games that aren't selling much anymore and would cost them nothing to add would be a big draw to lure people on the fence in.

The inital pitch of PS Now was "Play all these PS3 titles... Now! Anywhere! On many things that aren't even game consoles!"

Having PS Now on the PS3 only made sense because the install base was already massive and they knew the hardware.

Never underestimate the ability of a business to charge more because "newer stuff", let alone we have no idea what kind of license deals changed between PS3 titles and PS4 titles when it comes to streaming. To think that Sony wouldn't want to charge more for expanding the PS Now library and add newer games but not charge more is pretty naive. 

I'll have to put my feelers out for people I actually know who have or do use Now and see how they feel about this announcement. Seems like no one here really uses or used it so it wasn't really a service that appealed to this crowd enough anyway. 

I love their idea here, instead of working out the bugs and expanding the service by bringing it to more countries and bringing in more games or lowering the prices and stuff like that which would bring in more subs, let's get rid of everything except 2 options to play on.

... I thought the idea of having a smart TV that can stream PS games to it was fucking brilliant and seeing it die actually saddens me. Sony yo, you gotta stop doing shit before it's mainstream, and then giving up when it doesn't work. The PSX was a great idea but you dropped it. The PSP Go was a great idea but you handled it all wrong and dropped it. The Vita was great but you fucked up in a few areas and dropped it. And now, this can be added to the pile.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I'll have to put my feelers out for people I actually know who have or do use Now and see how they feel about this announcement. Seems like no one here really uses or used it so it wasn't really a service that appealed to this crowd enough anyway. 

Personally I can only say that I was skeptical about PS Now at first but once I had the opportunity to try it out (during one beta last year) I had to say that I was quite impressed on how good it worked for me. Sadly the beta line-up wasn't really my cup of tea so I only tested out the God of War-games and Sly 4 which I already played prior. For me the differences between the "real" video output from my PS3 and the streamed games from PS Now was so minimal that it's not a thing to argue about. The same goes for the input lag

Would they start to roll out the service to more countries I'm sure there would be some more people here that would give the service at leasta try. I mean, three small countries (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg) from mainland Europe? What about Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, or Norway? I know that the knock-out argument is the slow internet connection but I'm sure there's also some regions in the US or UK where the internet speed is at the bottom of the possible range.

To be fair, this may have something do with some of these devices getting close to end of life such as the PS3. Like the PS3 is over 11 years old now, it's time to retire it soon. The fact that they have serviced the PS3 for a solid 3 years after the PS4 I think is more than enough to bridge the gap. Also PS Now on the Vita is abysmal anyways. Lack of a full controller makes games finicky.

As far as TVs go, I imagine the feature just isn't popular enough to warrant supporting it on those devices. I mean where I live my internet is not fast enough to handle PS Now, and even when I lived where I had fibre, I still found stuttery moments and graphics that were less than ideal at times. This also is obviously a marketing attempt to get more PS4 sales, but I am intrigued that you can use it on your PC still. That's kind of interesting that you will continue to be able to play some Playstation titles via your PC.

10 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

You mean PS3/PSV games that are actually PS4 games? xD

I... I don't even....

holy crap

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I just realized it. That's even worse.

So they are basically saying to the pubblic this Service was mostly a failure? 

Because the idea was even interesting but First we never see it here on Vita, i would have gladly plaied some Ps3 game there and second the price was Waaay to high anyway!