PlayStation Now will only work on PS4 and PC starting from August 15th

crimsonidol38

We’d like to share an important update on compatible devices for PlayStation Now. From 15th August 2017, you will no longer be able to use PS Now on the following devices:

• PlayStation 3
  • PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV
  • All Sony Bravia TV models*
  • All Sony Blu-ray player models
  • All Samsung TV models

You will still be able to enjoy PS Now on PlayStation 4 and PC.

From 15th March 2017, you will no longer be able to sign up to PS Now through the affected devices. If your subscription lapses, you will be able to sign up again for the service on PS4 or PC.

After thoughtful consideration, we decided to shift our focus and resources to PS4 and Windows PC to further develop and improve the user experience on these two devices. This move puts us in the best position to grow the service even further.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/02/15/playstation-now-service-update/

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/15/playstation-now-service-update/

And in most of Europe it's not even possible to use that service up till now. :facepalm:

Edited by Crimson Idol
Fixed typo in title

I'm on the fence about this, I mean it seems like a great service and all that, I'm not here to reiterate what ps now is but let me get back to my point. PS3 had a free 7-day trial; I have 250MBS internet speeds so no errors on my front, but I would get disconnected every hour and it took like 5 restarts to even get into a game. So from my personal exper, maybe it wasn't well handled on the ps3.

This actually kinda sucks. I was using it with my pstv in a different room and it worked really really damn well. I don't use psnow anymore but it was nice it was there, and it really was worth the price. 

I have a feeling Microsoft has a hand in this... :ninja:

22 minutes ago, A12 said:

CoughNowwasaBetaCough

This means their R&D is done.

This means they have made their decision about the next generation of console.

Coughps5wontbeaphysicaldeviceCough

@PS5  So because PS Now has been such a roaring success or perhaps because Vita's mostly-digital sales has been a roaring success, they're going in full-digital on PS5? Well... I'll be sure to print this out and reference it when PS5 releases.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 3

I would totally use the service on my PC if I could, but it's only god damn possible in Belgium, Netherlands and UK in Europe & US and Canada in Northern America. If you want your service to do well why not make it available to at least most of the big European countries? Germany? France? Italy? Spain? The countries in Scandinavia?

It's like they're not even thinking...

16 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

@PS5  So because PS Now has been such a roaring success or perhaps because Vita's mostly-digital sales has been a roaring success, they're going in full-digital on PS5? Well... I'll be sure to print this out and reference it when PS5 releases.

No, this had nothing to due with sales.

It was to test infrastructure. E.g. how well they are able to stream and control across the planet via isp services.

And also to test the needed hardware to run everything. Which can now just be built into tv's. So all we need now is a PSN app.

Because no one ever remembers - 

I said, "Well, what does the PlayStation 5 look like?" And he said, "You mean if", And I was like, Whoa.

That's a quote from an interview with Shuhei Yoshida from a long time ago...

12 minutes ago, A12 said:

I remember it but my first thought was "I love it when decision makers fuck with nosy bastards who are just trying to pry where they shouldn't" and my second thought was "Oh! Maybe he was referring to what he did with PS4 Pro and how they could prolong the life of the "PS4" indefinitely.

Yeah, they're able to stream PS3 titles, largely not in 1080 and make them playable. I'm highly skeptical that they're looking to go to a streaming-only next gen. The infrastructure in much of the world choked on Now and short of new build-outs or places where Google Fiber forces competition to shit their pants and upgrade their network as well as their costs to recoup those upgrades, they'd be limiting their audience to a much, much smaller audience than have PS4s now. 

7 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I remember it but my first thought was "I love it when decision makers fuck with nosy bastards who are just trying to pry where they shouldn't" and my second thought was "Oh! Maybe he was referring to what he did with PS4 Pro and how they could prolong the life of the "PS4" indefinitely.

Yeah, they're able to stream PS3 titles, largely not in 1080 and make them playable. I'm highly skeptical that they're looking to go to a streaming-only next gen. The infrastructure in much of the world choked on Now and short of new build-outs or places where Google Fiber forces competition to shit their pants and upgrade their network as well as their costs to recoup those upgrades, they'd be limiting their audience to a much, much smaller audience than have PS4s now. 

I agree

We can only presume what shu meant back then. But I highly doubt they'll go back in the red after just getting in the black for an infrastructure that won't work for a large group of the population of the world. That's not business. 

26 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Not to mention W8+ limit.

Ugh it doesn't have win7 support? Ew

This move puts us in the best position to grow the service even further.

Cutting the support for a bunch of devices puts you in a better position to grow the service... How does that work? :blink:

Honestly, i don't know anyone who uses PS Now. It was a premature move on their part, much like OnLive was back in the day. Good internet infrastructure just isn't widespread enough to make this sort of thing viable. Maybe something like this will replace the need for consoles one day, but that day is a long way off. I mean many console gamers still drive to the store and pick up physical copies of their games. We don't like change. :P I have no doubt that we'll see a PS5 in around three years and it will be fully backwards compatible with PS4. It would be dumb of them to force this on us even further when people clearly aren't taking to it.

48 minutes ago, A12 said:

No, this had nothing to due with sales.

It was to test infrastructure. E.g. how well they are able to stream and control across the planet via isp services.

And also to test the needed hardware to run everything. Which can now just be built into tv's. So all we need now is a PSN app.

I doubt it, there's way too many countries that have too poor of internet to stream games. Even in the US there's a lot of places where internet is not fast enough for ps now