PlayStation Now will only work on PS4 and PC starting from August 15th

crimsonidol38

Really what Sony needs to do is make PS4 "backwards" compatible. The first PS3 model allowed PS2 and PS1 games to be played, but Sony decided to drop compatability entirely with the Slim models. 

Playstation Now hasn't been working in their favor so it's just PC and PS4. Given Sony's past history this probably won't be the last service they end up trashing because "It didn't do good enough and we messed it up too much."

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Really what Sony needs to do is make PS4 "backwards" compatible. The first PS3 model allowed PS2 and PS1 games to be played, but Sony decided to drop compatability entirely with the Slim models. 

Playstation Now hasn't been working in their favor so it's just PC and PS4. Given Sony's past history this probably won't be the last service they end up trashing because "It didn't do good enough and we messed it up too much."

I have a feeling that won't ever happen, I doubt the ps4 is even remotely powerful enough to emulate the cell architecture. All the ps3 models can play PSone games, even the slim and super slim. The first generation ps3s had the actual ps2 hardware, and the 40gig/80gig emulated the ps2 poorly

The only reason I still have a PS3 is because of the games that either aren't on PS Now or haven't gotten some sort of remaster.

I don't know if Dead Space is on PS Now but that is definitely a game I'll be playing. Otherwise if PS3 games were allowed on the PS4 then I would sell my PS3 as it would no longer serve a purpose for me anymore.

Sony easily could of looked into this with the newer PS4 models but they completely fucked up the opportunity. So now we're looking at the old PS3 original which is over a decade old. A shame Sony has stopped trying since then, what with PS Now not being available in a lot of countries.

13 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Yup, so much so that even the PS4 itself got remastered. It's called the PS4 Pro. :awesome:

The Pro really being a platform to make PS4 exclusives and other titles in Ultra HD (4K resolution). Indies that don't have awesome graphics like Shantae and Hotline Miami look the same regardless, the selling point is running triple A games on higher resolution with a possible frame rate increase.

I want backwards compatability rather than already great looking games look even better.

4 hours ago, Yavieh said:

We don't even have playstation Now in my country but i was checking it 3 days ago with my US account and it looked nice what a pitty for ps3 and vita players.

I don't understand why Playstation Now hasn't been released in other countries. Granted not every country has great internet but still, it perplexes me why Sony would give a small handful of countries in Europe the service while everyone else is out left in the cold.

Hopefully this won't amount to the failure and eventual closure of the service. But Sony, being as big and giant as they are, may not care that much, as long as they continue to make loads of money from their Playstation 4 console.

I tried a month membership of PS Now back in October and played through around 5 games.  Overall I had a great experience with it, little to no issues with lag or connectivity (aside from the times our Internet went out....thanks Comcast!!)

I primarily played on the PS4, but I did also try playing through the Vita which was also a pretty good experience although sometimes I got the connection issues symbol but it never actually dropped. 

Once I've cleared some of my backlog, I'd like to get PS Now again to play a few more games; so given my prior experience, it is a little disappointing that they are removing Vita support.

On 2/15/2017 at 1:52 PM, A12 said:

CoughNowwasaBetaCough

This means their R&D is done.

This means they have made their decision about the next generation of console.

Coughps5wontbeaphysicaldeviceCough

Or maybe they have access to the number of people who are using the service on every single system or television, and decided to cut support from them all because it wasn't worth it to them to continue to support.

Nah, cough some more hyperbole.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don't understand why Playstation Now hasn't been released in other countries. Granted not every country has great internet but still, it perplexes me why Sony would give a small handful of countries in Europe the service while everyone else is out left in the cold.

Hopefully this won't amount to the failure and eventual closure of the service. But Sony, being as big and giant as they are, may not care that much, as long as they continue to make loads of money from their Playstation 4 console.

Well truth being said in Europe they kinda discriminate us that is why i own a United States account. Also I import games from the States or  Japan since not all the games arrive to Europe and if they do it is just in the Digital version (Exist archive and so on) the disccounts are normally better in The States rather than Europe too. At least they are releasing a physical copy of Stardew Valley at the same time.

Edited by Yavieh

11 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Or maybe they have access to the number of people who are using the service on every single system or television, and decided to cut support from them all because it wasn't worth it to them to continue to support.

Nah, cough some more hyperbole.

Your retort makes no sense.

Your saying sarcastically, that Sony cut service because ppl were using the service?

I don't think you actually read my post, or any of the replies...

21 hours ago, Spaz said:

As much as I would love for PS3 backwards compatibility I don't think it's ever going to happen. For starters trying to emulate PS3 games on PS4 is probably impossible, and second of all I think for Sony PS3 backwards compatibility would hurt PS Now as well as hurt sales for remasters. 

As for PS now only being available on PS4 and PC going forward it doesn't really affect me, but I would be interested to know why that decision was made. Removing PS Now on PS3 makes sense mainly because PS Now kind of defeats the purpose of owning a PS3, but what I am more interested in is why they are removing PS Now on Vita, as well as the other devices. 

Would be interested to know how many people are using PS Now on smart TVs/Vita compared to PS4/PC.

On 2/15/2017 at 5:55 PM, Spaz said:

Since you're British you have more internet options to choose from. 

For those of us in the United States, we are stuck with one choice. Cable internet really isn't all that great. Comcast owns a ENORMOUS chunk of the internet landscape in the country, so they can do whatever the fuck they want, and charge us an arm and a leg every month.

That's not even taking into account the constant billing errors customers have to put up with, and generally slow internet service that leads to a region outage, leaving people even more pissed off. 

Now with the Donald Trump administration, they want to rid Net Neutrality and drive the costs of service even higher. Yeah, I say we're doing real good today.

It's a shame PS Now isn't panning out to be as good as it could be, but given Sonys track record of past services I'm not too surprised. 

Seriously, Comcast is terrible and their service is average at best. I hadn't heard about the Trump Net Neutrality until now but it doesn't surprise me one bit.

21 hours ago, Spaz said:

Unfortunately I think it's too much of pain to emulate PS3 due to its architecture.

Edited by vegetollo7

It's clear that the PS4 is never going to be able to emulate PS3 games. They would have done it by now. However, I don't see why the PS5 wouldn't be able to. Surely the substantial power difference would allow them to "brute force" the emulation, much like how emulators on PC work. Whether Sony would want to do that is another matter entirely, though. I mean the PS4 is more than capable of PS1 emulation, but where is it? The PS2 classic support has been pretty lacklustre thus far too. I could see Sony keep pushing the whole PS Now thing instead of giving us actual hardware emulation and that sucks.

I think Sony could learn a thing or two from Microsoft when it comes to backwards compatibility, which is weird when you consider how Sony kinda pioneered that stuff back in the day. I mean you can play Xbox 360 games on Xbox One, and from what we've been told, you're going to be able to play Xbox One games on Scorpio. It would be foolish if Sony didn't allow PS4 games to be played on PS5. Considering these consoles use PC architecture now, it should be fairly straightforward. They don't have an excuse for that one like they did with PS3 backwards compatibility. PS Now is an interesting idea, but it can't beat actual emulation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

PS5 remaster of PS4 remaster of PS3 game :awesome:

You joke, but I fear that's actually a thing already. :P I mean we have games like Resident Evil 4 that came out on PS2, got remastered for PS3, then that remaster got remastered for PS4. It's already begun! Would Sony be dumb enough to pull that shit again? Probably... :P