Sony files patent for what looks like a new handheld

ratchetdude231

21 hours ago, diskdocx said:

While I won't entirely disagree, I think that it is a convenient excuse to blame piracy.

Sony didn't market it, didn't support it, and has all but abandoned it, and they can't hide behind piracy as the cause this time around.

Oh hell yeah, I agree with you. Nintendo marketed the Vita more when it accidentally tweeted a link for Vita once xD

21 hours ago, HellcoreFire said:

It seems to have L2 and R2 buttons, the only thing that was missing on the Vita. If it actually is a handheld and not smartphone attachements, I hope it will be backwards compatible with the Vita cartridges.

There aren't any slots for Vita cartridges on any of the images so if it is a new handheld console, it probably won't be backwards compatible. In fact, it doesn't seem to have a slot for games in general unless they're going to be printed on microSD cards.

But I expect it to be a new gaming-focused phone and clippable controller attachment for their upcoming mobile games push. They say they have half a dozen titles coming out in the next year, so maybe we'll hear something by then. But they'd be pissing money down the drain if they attempted another dedicated handheld console, so whatever it is, I think that's the one thing we can rule out already.

7 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

There aren't any slots for Vita cartridges on any of the images so if it is a new handheld console, it probably won't be backwards compatible. In fact, it doesn't seem to have a slot for games in general unless they're going to be printed on microSD cards.

But I expect it to be a new gaming-focused phone and clippable controller attachment for their upcoming mobile games push. They say they have half a dozen titles coming out in the next year, so maybe we'll hear something by then. But they'd be pissing money down the drain if they attempted another dedicated handheld console, so whatever it is, I think that's the one thing we can rule out already.

http://blog-img.esuteru.com/image/article/201702/3036c4433ad1775360bce82d6fb8008b.gif

Looks like it has 2 cart slots at SL1 and SL2

What many of you probably don't understand about patents is many of them are pro-active. They (just about any company looking to develop products) patent any and everything ahead of time so that if they want to pursue it, they won't get stopped. They are also looking to hold a patent so that if someone tries to use anything involved on their patent, they can kindly license that patent to them.

More importantly: Patents intentionally do not resemble end products unless the patent is for an aesthetic. Sony, even if they're interested in pursuing this patent, would not want to reveal the actual appearance of their end design and would likely come up with designs intentionally showing the inclusion of parts from the patent, but not the actual design.

What I'm saying is look at their description for the patent, but ignore the pictures. This seems more like a dedicated remote play device that includes the R2/L2 so people wouldn't need to use the clumsy back touchscreen of the Vita. While this could be a dedicated RemotePlay controller although, if they're going that route, they might as well release a new handheld, since the only difference would likely be an OS/Firmware. Likely they'd try to get an x86 mobile chip in there so that programming between the PS4 and new platform could share many coding attributes.

Sony dropped the ball when it came to piracy on the PSP and it burned them. Developers decided they largely would not develop directly for the Vita, scared of the same thing happening. Vita has shown them that they can lock down a platform so well, Western developers won't even touch them so if they *do* release a new handheld, developers can feel assured that piracy won't run rampant like PSP. However, the more popular a platform, the more attention it gets and the more likely it is to be hacked.

I don't doubt that Sony is always open to another handheld. To completely shut themselves off to it would be ignorant of potential business. To throw their hands up because *insert really whiny child crying voice here* "Nintendo is too big and there are too many mobile games!" is ignorant of how big the gaming market really is.

• 2 months later...
On 19/02/2017 at 10:54 PM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

If it plays all ps3 digitals...im sold day 1. 

I totally agree technology should allow it now. 

1 hour ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

If it plays PS3 game downloads... im sold. But then... the storage is going to be a even bigger issue.

Hopefully Sony have learnt and will adopt MicroSD that way we could expand it up to 256GB 

I would love a new handheld in 2-3 years that's basically a portable standard PS4 or at least something similar to the PS3. Would be nice if it played all digital titles from previews handhelds and systems and allowed multiple users on the same device without the need for swapping out cards and wiping the system every time I want to use a different account.