Mass Effect Andromeda new gameplay footage 3/21/2017

ratchetdude231

I remember the combat being terrible in Mass Effect 1, but it didn't even matter. That game was an RPG first and foremost and it was fantastic. The combat isn't why I play these games. I love the original trilogy, but this game just isn't doing it for me. I can't really even put my finger on why.

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

My only worry was the multiplayer might end up different from 3, I'm glad it's not.

I never played the original trilogy, but from my understanding the multiplayer in 3 was basically a horde mode and I love horde modes so I am excited to check the multiplayer out.

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I remember the combat being terrible in Mass Effect 1, but it didn't even matter. That game was an RPG first and foremost and it was fantastic. The combat isn't why I play these games. I love the original trilogy, but this game just isn't doing it for me. I can't really even put my finger on why.

From what I know ever since the original game every new entry has become less of an RPG and more of a action game. I don't really know how to feel about that as I never played the original trilogy, but from what I have seen the leveling system and perk system in this game is very similar to Fallout 4/Skyrim and I loved Fallout 4 so I can't really complain about that aspect of the game.

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

My only worry was the multiplayer might end up different from 3, I'm glad it's not.

The tiny bit of multiplayer gameplay that was shown in the pre-order trailer confirmed that the multiplayer will be more or less the same.

Thanks to this trailer we now have a preliminary weapon rarity list for some of weapons in the game:

• Pistol/SMG

Charger (renamed Tempest?) - Bronze/Common
M-3 Predator - Bronze/Common
M-5 Phalanx - Silver/Uncommon
Carnifex - Silver/Uncommon
M-25 Hornet - Gold/Rare
Equalizer - Gold/Rare

• Assault Rifles

M-8 Avenger - Bronze/Common
Cyclone - Silver/Uncommon
M-96 Mattock - Silver/Uncommon
L-89 Halberd - Gold/Rare
M-37 Falcon - Gold/Rare
Revenant - Gold/Rare
Sandstorm - Gold/Rare
Sweeper - Gold/Rare
Thokin - Gold/Rare
N7 Valkyrie - Ultra-Rare
P.A.W. - Ultra-Rare

• Sniper Rifles

Incisor - Silver/Uncommon
Ishray - Gold/Rare
Lanat - Gold/Rare
M-90 Indra - Gold/Rare
Inferno - Ultra-Rare
N7 Valiant - Ultra-Rare
Black Widow - Ultra-Rare

• Shotguns

M-23 Katana - Bronze/Common
Disciple - Silver/Uncommon
Ruzad - Silver/Uncommon
Hesh - Gold/Rare
Reegar Carbine - Gold/Rare
Scattershot - Gold/Rare
Venom - Gold/Rare
Dhan - Ultra-Rare
N7 Piranha - Ultra-Rare
N7 Crusader - Ultra-Rare

• Melee

Omni-Blade - Bronze/Common
Angaran Firaan - Silver/Uncommon
Biotic Amplifier - Silver/Uncommon
Krogan Hammer - Gold/Rare
Asari Sword - Ultra-Rare

Just now, ratchetdude231 said:

From what I know ever since the original game every new entry has become less of an RPG and more of a action game. I don't really know how to feel about that as I never played the original trilogy, but from what I have seen the leveling system and perk system in this game is very similar to Fallout 4/Skyrim and I loved Fallout 4 so I can't really complain about that aspect of the game.

Yup, that's true. The combat in Andromeda just looks like a more advanced version of what was in Mass Effect 3 and that was definitely what I consider to be the weakest game in the trilogy for a number of reasons. I freakin' HATED what they did to Fallout 4 in regards to the whole level up system. It was so dumbed down and barebones compared to what was in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I felt like that game also focused way more on the combat than it should have and it bored me to death. You didn't even have to think. Both Fallout and Mass Effect seemed to go down the mass appeal route and I think they lost something along the way which made them great.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

Yup, that's true. The combat in Andromeda just looks like a more advanced version of what was in Mass Effect 3 and that was definitely what I consider to be the weakest game in the trilogy for a number of reasons. I freakin' HATED what they did to Fallout 4 in regards to the whole level up system. It was so dumbed down and barebones compared to what was in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I felt like that game also focused way more on the combat than it should have and it bored me to death. You didn't even have to think. Both Fallout and Mass Effect seemed to go down the mass appeal route and I think they lost something along the way which made them great.

With Fallout 4 I think they just took the leveling system from Skyrim, and they just decided to add that same system into Fallout 4. I doubt we have seen the last of that system either. 

Edited by ratchetdude231

Maybe i'm understanding this wrong but. Did they basically just eliminate the class system? Like if i understand him right, you can basically be a biotic tech that goes invisible...not sure i like that cause that would be to OP. i actually liked some of the class restrictions. It made you think about your weaknesses and you had to choose squadmates who covered those.

Also i'm just saying, that hovering jetpack thing will get you killed in Insanity, anyone who has played Insanity knows that you need your cover, to go without it is suicide

I trust BioWare. Sure, it's down to personal taste and opinion but they get a lot of stuff right. The ending to 3 was horrid and the writing took a huge dip in quality in the latter few hours of the game. I heard the ending portion was not even vetted and approved the same way the rest of the game was. But They learn from their errors. What I have seen of Dragon Age: Inquisition seems to have made up for the missteps I have already encountered in Dragon Age II. I've seen people saying the graphics for this don't look much different from the original trilogy but as somebody who literally just finished 3 I can say this is a huge leap up in visuals and 3 was quite a pretty game already. The ones I have seen lamenting the more fluid combat and think it should stay as cover-focused as the originals I would imagine are the same who bemoan the way Final Fantasy has moved on from being turn-based. You're allowed to have your preferences but staying stuck in the past and not being more open to updated mechanics and what they have to offer just unnecessarily impedes your enjoyment of the game. The original trilogy's shift in focus from RPG elements (which were never fully gone, there is a great degree of squad, armour, weapons and powers customisation even in 3) worked wonders for it in the end. Without overhyping myself over it, I believe this will be an excellent game and one of only four games I have ever pre-ordered.

Edited by MeteorHawk

1 minute ago, ratchetdude231 said:

With Fallout 4 I think they just took the leveling system from Skyrim, and they just decided to add that same system into Fallout 4. I doubt we have seen the last of that system either. 

That's probably why I find Skyrim so boring as well then. :P Yeah, probably not. Like I said, they threw out the deep systems and what not in favour of gaining mass appeal. Their games are successful, so good for them, but I'll be staying far away from them in the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MeteorHawk said:

I trust BioWare. Sure, it's down to personal taste and opinion but they get a lot of stuff right. The ending to 3 was horrid and the writing took a huge dip in quality in the latter few hours of the game. I heard the ending portion was not even vetted and approved the same way the rest of the game was. But They learn from their errors. What I have seen of Dragon Age: Inquisition seems to have made up for the missteps I have already encountered in Dragon Age II. I've seen people saying the graphics for this don't look much different from the original trilogy but as somebody who literally just finished 3 I can say this is a huge leap up in visuals and 3 was quite a pretty game already. The ones I have seen lamenting the more fluid combat and think it should stay as cover-focused as the originals I would imagine are the same who bemoan the way Final Fantasy has moved on from being turn-based. You're allowed to have your preferences but staying stuck in the past and not being more open to updated mechanics and what they have to offer just unnecessarily impedes your enjoyment of the game. The original trilogy's shift in focus from RPG elements (which were never fully gone, there is a great degree of squad, armour, weapons and powers customisation even in 3) worked wonders for it in the end. I believe this will be an excellent game and one of only three games I have ever pre-ordered.

Actually from what i understand, One whole ending was scrapped cause it got leaked. Something about how the research on Haestroms star and stolen Cerberus tech allowed the resistance to make a Dark Bomb that would destroy the reapers. Its one reason why some questions were left unanswered like Haestrom and why in the game you didnt get to fight Harbinger, cause all that was part of a different ending that got cut

blame the leak

1 minute ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Actually from what i understand, One whole ending was scrapped cause it got leaked. Something about how the research on Haestroms star and stolen Cerberus tech allowed the resistance to make a Dark Bomb that would destroy the reapers. Its one reason why some questions were left unanswered like Haestrom and why in the game you didnt get to fight Harbinger, cause all that was part of a different ending that got cut

blame the leak

They scrapped the ending also because the original writer who wrote mass effect 1 and 2 retired from bioware Drew Karpyshyn. He rejoined bioware in 2015 though

2 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

blame the leak

I'd heard of that and just gave it a read through from some sites. Sounds like a half-baked ending in its developing stages as well, doesn't sound a whole lot better than what we got but they could have worked around that. It did really bother me that the Haestrom thing was never resolved!

25 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Maybe i'm understanding this wrong but. Did they basically just eliminate the class system?

Both yes and no. The old class system is gone, in it's place is the profiles system.

Each profile is based on the old classes and give you bonuses based how many points you have put into each type of power. 

So if you put all you points into biotic powers you will unlock the adept profile that gives you bonuses that adept would need like biotics cooldown and damage.

Based on the video you will need 50 points into combat and tech powers to unlock the rank 4 infiltrator profile, so based on how the classes used to be we can guess how the rest of the profile will be unlocked. 

Edited by soultaker655

40 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

It's funny I always thought that combat, and the mechanics in general, was at it's best in ME 1. I don't play ME for the combat but good game mechanics go a long way in putting a game over the top for me. I'm hoping against hope that Andromeda returns the series to it's RPG roots at least a little, ME 2 felt waaay too stripped down for my tastes.

7 minutes ago, boringname123 said:

It's funny I always thought that combat, and the mechanics in general, was at it's best in ME 1. I don't play ME for the combat but good game mechanics go a long way in putting a game over the top for me. I'm hoping against hope that Andromeda returns the series to it's RPG roots at least a little, ME 2 felt waaay too stripped down for my tastes.

The mechanics weren't great for ME1 either even though I love that game. The inventory system is flawed and you'll end up spending a lot of time converting items into omni-gel.

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The mechanics weren't great for ME1 either even though I love that game. The inventory system is flawed and you'll end up spending a lot of time converting items into omni-gel.

Yep those were undoubtedly terrible, the Mako could be annoyingly fiddly as well, and a lot of the side missions relied on copy-pasted areas, but it felt like a proper RPG at least and that made the difference for me. 

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

That worry should have never crossed anybody's mind.

Mass Effect 3 (Singleplayer) was done by Bioware Edmonton. Mass Effect 3 (Multiplayer) was handled by Bioware Montreal. Two completely different studios.

Which studio is working on Mass Effect Andromeda? Montreal.

13 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Couldn't agree more. This has become a trend now, not just in RPGs. As games become more and more mainstream, they become more accessible to the masses and, by definition, less intricate, punishing and... well, compelling. This doesn't only concern difficulty, but overall game design and mechanics as well. In classic RPGs you were required to commit to certain things and you know... actually PLAY A ROLE. There would be tons of deep mechanics that would take time and commitment to master. And that's apparently something "only" fans of the masocore genre enjoy these days. Modern AAA games more often than not simply give you everything at once without putting you in danger of missing any content or being faced with anything that may result in frustration. The result is something like Fallout 4 or, possibly, Mass Effect Andromeda – an accessible, slightly predictable, "streamlined" (bare-bones) title for everyone. BioWare sure has come a long way since the days of Baldur's Gate...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parker said:

I still think the facial animations during dialogue look wonky as hell but the rest of the game looks fantastic, I'll definitely be picking it up after I run through the trilogy on my PS3. 

Parker

I don't really understand the facial animation complaints. They look pretty normal to me, but I'm the type of person who finds it difficult to find the really small details in games.

Edited by ratchetdude231