Horizon: Zero Dawn Review Roundup

Parker

Just now, Death_Ninja said:

I beat Yakuza 0 last night, starting Tales of Berseria tonight. Being coerced into getting Nioh by a ton of friends annnnd Nier Automata is preordered and set in two weeks.

giphy.gif

The rate I go through games, particularly big ones like those, I'd be lucky to even get to this in my lifetime with just those four games alone! DO get Nioh though, I've seen my buddy play through a bit and it gives me them Dark Souls vibes.

The worst thing about this spring is that there are so many games that are coming out back to back. Like a couple days after Horizon is out NieR drops and then a couple weeks Mass Effect comes out. Then a couple days after Mass Effect comes out Persona 5 drops lol. 

Too much stuff is coming out. I would have appreciated it if some of these games would have gotten delayed.

2 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I have so many games in my backlog that I should probably stop pre-ordering games and focus on playing what I have, but there are so many good games coming out that I couldn't help myself lol.

Eh why not lol Amazon has that sweet 20% off deal for Prime members, most I have to spend on games is $47.99+tax, so I'm cool with that lol

1 minute ago, MeteorHawk said:

The rate I go through games, particularly big ones like those, I'd be lucky to even get to this in my lifetime with just those four games alone! DO get Nioh though, I've seen my buddy play through a bit and it gives me them Dark Souls vibes.

Yeah I'll most likely get it once external HDD support gets released. It's funny because I was texting a few co-workers and they were telling me to get it and then literally the next minute my sister's boyfriend across the room was like "So did you get Nioh yet? It's awesome". I can't win lmao

I buy all my stuff digital too so I'm out of space on my PS4. Hopefully that firmware update drops soon because I have this 5 TB drive that I want to use, but I can't use it yet. 

@Death_Ninja By the way Tales of Berseria is awesome. I'm about 17 hours into it and it's great.

Edited by ratchetdude231

7 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I have so many games in my backlog that I should probably stop pre-ordering games and focus on playing what I have, but there are so many good games coming out that I couldn't help myself lol.

2 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

Eh why not lol Amazon has that sweet 20% off deal for Prime members, most I have to spend on games is $47.99+tax, so I'm cool with that lol

Yeah I'll most likely get it once external HDD support gets released. It's funny because I was texting a few co-workers and they were telling me to get it and then literally the next minute my sister's boyfriend across the room was like "So did you get Nioh yet? It's awesome". I can't win lmao

Hahaha only us gamers could really complain about being so spoiled!

I feel bad for my poor wallet lol. Hopefully the holiday season isn't as crazy as this spring. My wallet needs time to recover. So far the only fall/holiday games I want are AC, and that Ys game. I am sure there will be other stuff I want but hopefully it isn't too crazy.

Edited by ratchetdude231

1 minute ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I buy all my stuff digital too so I'm out of space on my PS4. Hopefully that firmware update drops soon because I have this 5 TB drive that I want to use, but I can't use it yet. 

@Death_Ninja By the way Tales of Berseria is awesome. I'm about 17 hours into it and it's great.

Oh I'm looking forward to starting it :)

Just now, MeteorHawk said:

Hahaha only us gamers could really complain about being so spoiled!

By the first week of April I'll have:

Gravity Rush 2

Yakuza 0

Kingdom Hearts 2.8

Tales of Berseria 

Nioh

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Nier Automata

Mass Effect Andromeda

Persona 5

I mean, how many years did we get a line-up like that in the first 4 freaking months of the year? lol

25 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I really don't know what the hell Microsoft is doing anymore. They cancelled one of the few interesting games they had which was Scalebound, and it just feels like they are releasing the same 3 or 4 games every year. 

As for Nintendo I don't really know what the hell they are thinking either lol. Third party support on the Switch looks rather weak, and I just don't think the Switch is going to sell because of Zelda alone. Nintendo's big system seller doesn't come out until the holiday season, and all the other exclusives that are coming out between Zelda and Mario just aren't system sellers. Switch is going to be really interesting to watch. In my opinion the situation with the Switch just reminds me of the Wii U all over again. I think it's going to sell better than the Wii U in the end, but that isn't really saying much. 

I just finished watching Kinda Funny's review of Horizon today, and I am surprised by how much Colin is praising this game. Seems like both him and Greg love it.

Haha, me neither. Scalebound was actually one of the few Xbone (console) exclusives that looked interesting to me and of course they go ahead and cancel it. I almost feel like they aren't even trying anymore. Where's the new IP? It's just Halo, Gears of War, and Forza over and over again. Just stop! All of their games come out on PC these days anyway, so why even bother getting an Xbox? I guess with Scorpio, they're trying to make it appealing by being the most powerful console to play third party games. Maybe it'll work out for them, but I don't see that happening. Exclusives are what sell me on a console, not the hardware. If you look at console history, it's often the less powerful consoles that end up winning that generation.

I firmly believe the only people who are picking up a Switch on day one are the Nintendo hardcore. I don't know how people can look at that launch lineup/window and think that's acceptable. Those people were always gonna buy a Switch no matter what, but Nintendo have to get their shit in order to actually make this thing appealing to others. There's no way I'd drop that much money on a Zelda machine, no matter how good it is. Let's not forget that this Zelda game is also available on Wii U. The next big game is what... Mario? That's like 10 months away! You know, assuming it doesn't get delayed. What are these people gonna play until then? 1-2 Switch? :P What's funny about the third party support on the Switch is that it looks even worse than the Wii U's. I mean at least that got Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham City, and Mass Effect 3. They were bad ports, but at least it was SOMETHING new (ish). The "third party support" on Switch (if you even want to call it that) mostly just consists of ports of games that are years old. Not exactly what I'd call exciting...

I saw that was uploaded. I'll watch that later. :D But yeah, I could tell Colin was really rooting for this game to be good, so I'm glad he was right. #ColinWasRight :giggle:

Edited by Undead Wolf

As of right now I have the following pre-ordered

Horizon Zero Dawn

NieR 

Mass Effect 

Persona 

Within the next month or 2 I will also probably have Crash and Prey pre-ordered. Then there is Yakuza 0, Yooke Layle, and Ys Origins I really want to get. By the way this is what my current backlog looks like, and this isn't counting PS Plus or PS Now. 

Bioshock collection
Assassins Creed Ezio Collection
Watch Dogs 1
Watch Dogs 2
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Just Cause 3
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Mega Man Legacy Collection
Shadows of Mordor
Darksiders 1
Darksiders 2
God Of War 3 remastered
Dishonored 1
Dishonored 2
Alien Isolation
Bloodborne
Sleeping Dogs Definitive edition
Killzone Shadow Fall
Tearaway Unfolded
Batman Arkham Knight
Skyim Special Edition
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Dragon Age Inquisition

Yep. Pray for me lol.

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Haha, me neither. Scalebound was actually one of the few Xbone (console) exclusives that looked interesting to me and of course they go ahead and cancel it. I almost feel like they aren't even trying anymore. Where's the new IP? It's just Halo, Gears of War, and Forza over and over again. Just stop! All of their games come out on PC these days anyway, so why even bother getting an Xbox? I guess with Scorpio, they're trying to make it appealing by being the most powerful console to play third party games. Maybe it'll work out for them, but I don't see that happening. Exclusives are what sell me on a console, not the hardware. If you look at console history, it's often the less powerful consoles that end up winning that generation.

I firmly believe the only people who are picking up a Switch on day one are the Nintendo hardcore. I don't know how people can look at that launch lineup/window and think that's acceptable. Those people were always gonna buy a Switch no matter what, but Nintendo have to get their shit in order to actually make this thing appealing to others. There's no way I'd drop that much money on a Zelda machine, no matter how good it is. Let's not forget that this Zelda game is also available on Wii U. The next big game is what... Mario? That's like 10 months away! You know, assuming it doesn't get delayed. What are these people gonna play until then? 1-2 Switch? :P What's funny about the third party support on the Switch is that it looks even worse than the Wii U's. I mean at least that got Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham City, and Mass Effect 3. They were bad ports, but at least it was SOMETHING new (ish). The "third party support" on Switch (if you even want to call it that) mostly just consists of ports of games that are years old. Not exactly what I'd call exciting...

I saw that was uploaded. I'll watch that later. :D But yeah, I could tell Colin was really rooting for this game to be good, so I'm glad he was right. #ColinWasRight :giggle:

I mean lets be fair here who doesn't want to play Rayman Legends on the Switch:giggle:

What's scary about Nintendo is that they kinda had a record of delaying the hell out of their Wii U exclusives so I wouldn't be shocked if Mario gets delayed. Mario getting delayed would hurt Switch sales significantly though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I hate to be rude, but you really need to rethink how you approach game reviews if you think 1 review that gives the game a negative score among several positive reviews means the game is going to be bad. 

Everyone has their own opinions, and I would suggest you read more than 1 review if you are trying to decide if you want to buy the game or not.

http://stevivor.com/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-review/

8 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Sony have been killing it with exclusives so far this year and that doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. You have to wonder what this means for Nintendo and Microsoft. Sure, they're bringing out new hardware soon, but that doesn't mean shit when they don't have the games to back it up. It makes me proud to be a part of the PlayStation Nation. ^_^

Well, Ninty has the same set of exclusives, no need to expand since Ninty fanbase buys it anyway =D

And for M$, the word 'exclusive' is a curse word :awesome: 

8 hours ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I buy all my stuff digital too so I'm out of space on my PS4.

On PS4, it doesn't matter. Physicals get installed on HDD anyway.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Seeing the consistency of the review scores makes me glad I preordered this one. I remember watching the reveal trailer 2 years ago and thinking, "this game is either going to be amazing, or suck so bad." It's just gotten better and more interesting over time. Here's hoping it passes muster. One week left! That trophy list looks pretty easy as well! ? Haha, I'm trying to keep my unearned total below 900.

On 21/02/2017 at 6:52 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, Ninty has the same set of exclusives, no need to expand since Ninty fanbase buys it anyway =D

Sure, the Nintendo hardcore eat up anything Nintendo shits out, but if they want the Switch to be successful, they need to appeal to more people than just those them unless they want another Wii U on their hands.

Edited by Undead Wolf

So according to the Digital Foundry video at some point after launch GG will be releasing a higher performance mode on the PS4 Pro. I hate to say this, but I am considering not playing this game until that update drops.

We don't know what frame rate they are targeting with the high performance mode, but if it's 60 fps or anywhere near 60 fps then I think I might wait a couple weeks to play it. Not like I don't have plenty of games to play as it is lol.

12 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

So according to the Digital Foundry video at some point after launch GG will be releasing a higher performance mode on the PS4 Pro. I hate to say this, but I am considering not playing this game until that update drops.

We don't know what frame rate they are targeting with the high performance mode, but if it's 60 fps or anywhere near 60 fps then I think I might wait a couple weeks to play it. Not like I don't have plenty of games to play as it is lol.

I just hope it's different to FFXV's "60 fps" patch. I was holding off playing that game until the update dropped, but it turns out it runs no where near the "target" of 60 fps and it's more like the low 40's. Pretty disappointing. I have much more faith in Guerrilla than I do in Square, though, so I imagine they will do a much better job at optimising it, especially since it's a PS4 exclusive. I hear the game as it is now runs at what is essentially a locked 30 fps for pretty much the whole game, so that's good enough for me. If they really can manage a locked 60 fps mode, though, that will be a nice option to have.

You said you have a 1080p TV, right? In that case I can see why you might want to hold off. Just do your best not to get it spoiled. :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I just hope it's different to FFXV's "60 fps" patch. I was holding off playing that game until the update dropped, but it turns out it runs no where near the "target" of 60 fps and it's more like the low 40's. Pretty disappointing. I have much more faith in Guerrilla than I do in Square, though, so I imagine they will do a much better job at optimising it, especially since it's a PS4 exclusive. I hear the game as it is now runs at what is essentially a locked 30 fps for pretty much the whole game, so that's good enough for me. If they really can manage a locked 60 fps mode, though, that will be a nice option to have.

You said you have a 1080p TV, right? In that case I can see why you might want to hold off. Just do your best not to get it spoiled. :P

I am impressed that GG was able to make the game run at a locked 30 FPS on both platforms. I was actually kinda worried that standard PS4 owners would have to deal with performance issues for Horizon. Glad that isn't the case. 

Guerrilla are masters at squeezing every ounce of juice out of the hardware they are working with so while I doubt they are going to target 60 FPS with that performance update, but if there is anyone that could do that it's Guerrilla.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I am impressed that GG was able to make the game run at a locked 30 FPS on both platforms. I was actually kinda worried that standard PS4 owners would have to deal with performance issues for Horizon. Glad that isn't the case. 

Guerrilla are masters at squeezing every ounce of juice out of the hardware they are working with so while I doubt they are going to target 60 FPS with that performance update, but if there is anyone that could do that it's Guerrilla.

Yeah, me too. I'm sure the backlash would have been pretty significant if the standard PS4 version ran poorly, even more so than with third party games. Sony have to show they aren't leaving the 50 million or so owners of the standard PS4 out in the cold.