Horizon: Zero Dawn Review Roundup

Parker

1 minute ago, Torracat83 said:

Sounds good, but I do take reviews with some salt since many are paid for them. Still getting it day 1.

This is something that has been repeated over and over yet there is no evidence (aside from one specific instance) for it. Can you give 5 proven examples of a reviewer getting paid by a publisher or developer for a good review? 

Don't get me wrong, it is fine to be skeptical of reviews since not everyone has the same taste but I don't think people are getting paid off for good reviews. If they did, Sony spent a lot of money because a whole lot of reviewers are giving this game great reviews. :lol:

Parker

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Parker said:

This is something that has been repeated over and over yet there is no evidence (aside from one specific instance) for it. Can you give 5 proven examples of a reviewer getting paid by a publisher or developer for a good review? 

Don't get me wrong, it is fine to be skeptical of reviews since not everyone has the same taste but I don't think people are getting paid off for good reviews. If they did, Sony spent a lot of money because a whole lot of reviewers are giving this game great reviews. :lol:

Parker

I guess I'm just cynical. Fair enough. Still, I preordered the collector's edition and can't wait to get it. I think it'll be awesome, but a small part of me worries it might disappoint.

And hey, Sony's leading in console sales, so they could afford it. xD Only kidding, of course.

I wont be able to get the game Day 1 myself, maybe a few days afterwards though... because of payday and release of the game is different (it's out on the 1st of March for us, which is a Wednesday, and I get paid Thursday).  But I do want to try and get the game for the weekend anyway.  I mean, it's good to hear that it is getting good reviews anyway :D

Reviews are very encouraging. Looks like its going to be a great game.

However, I'm still in two minds as to whether I should cancel my pre-order. I'm concerned that this game might be much better on PS4 Pro, and I am wondering whether I should wait for Digital Foundry to weigh in with one of their comparison videos. 

However, given the embargo appears to have lifted, that video might still appear shortly and ahead of release. I guess I'll keep the pre-order for now...

37 minutes ago, Parker said:

Parker

DRIV3Rgate

Microsoft with XBLIG to Videogamedunkey

GameSpot with Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Larry Bundy Jr. is good with these.

Well I just found my favorite reviewer on meta critic "digital downloaded"

Giving games like my name is mayo a score of 100 for its artistic "anti-art" and giving mafia 3 a score of 90 pure for the artistic meaning of racism at that time.

while giving horizon zero dawn a score of 70, because the gameplay and story isn't so good. Litterally saying they need to find new writers and gameplay designers, while also saying that it is a technical high. Damn.

Maybe its a big Off topic but this is terrible, maybe its because of attention to there site?

http://www.metacritic.com/publication/digitally-downloaded?filter=games

I'm getting more excited every day it comes closer.

But a review says nothing though, it all depends on someones own expectations and how close it will get to it.

Although i must say, with these high scores, it is safe to say that the game will be good. I hope i will like it.

If i do this will become my 100th platinum. 

But like i said, a review doesn't say everything, for example a game like Dead Island: Riptide got a 62 on metacritic, which isn't that high. To this day though, it is still one of my favorite games to play because it is so simple to pick up.

A review can be a lead to what you can expect from a game, but in the end, it is all about own opinion

Well I'm not shocked at these scores, but from what I've seen it's a glitchy, poorly programmed and poorly acted mess, so I wouldn't listen to them at all. Waiting for the same backflip No Man's Sky and Watch Dogs suffered with the reviewers proclaiming OH BUT WE WERE ALWAYS ON YOUR SIDE, CONSUMERS. Absolute snakes, the lot of them. 

Edited by LunchCannon54

1 hour ago, Parker said:

Forbes -  No, Horizon probably isn’t as monumental of an experience as playing Uncharted or God of War for the first time, but it’s well-made, engaging and probably worth your time. 9.10

"probably". It's humorous how the reviewer chose to insult the game while still giving it a good rating. 

• Like 1

Well, that is amazing! Waiting for my Limited Edition :D 

1 hour ago, Torracat83 said:

Sounds good, but I do take reviews with some salt since many are paid for them. Still getting it day 1.

I remember Rockstar Games paid to 1 guy to talk only bad things about GTA V and give a very negative review :D

1 hour ago, totallycrushed said:

DRIV3Rgate

Microsoft with XBLIG to Videogamedunkey

GameSpot with Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Larry Bundy Jr. is good with these.

To be fair, the dunkey one doesn't count because he was transparent that MS sponsored that video, and he still poked fun at the game's flaws which led to a bitter fallout between him and the company.

14 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

To be fair, the dunkey one doesn't count because he was transparent that MS sponsored that video, and he still poked fun at the game's flaws which led to a bitter fallout between him and the company.

Actually he doesn't mention a sponsorship deal on the video. Too bad it's deleted and there's no archive on the description but a mirror of the video itself still exists.

But at the same time the way he says MS came to him offering a sponsorship and just saying "make a video about the game". If this is true and there were no fine print about what kind of video it should've been, Dunkey did nothing wrong making fun of the game. It really comes down to details that the public don't have about their agreement.

EDIT: oh no I replied to a "to be fair" with "actually". I have become internet, I must revalue my life.

Edited by totallycrushed

16 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

How does it not count? The argument was that publishers pay for good reviews and publicity and they did (or at least tried to). 

40 minutes ago, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

"probably". It's humorous how the reviewer chose to insult the game while still giving it a good rating. 

I don't see it as an insult to the game. Rather, they're saying, whether something is worth your time or not is your own subjective opinion, and you will probably think that it is. 

2 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

Must be good if Jim Sterling and Eurogamer gives it a damn good review. I might actually save up money and buy this ASAP.

Eurogamer Italy maybe. 

Eurogamer UK didn't like it enough to even give it a recommended. (They don't do numbers.) They're often quite harsh though. Their complaint seems to be "it doesn't do anything new, but does what it does well".

Didn't notice this thread. I'll share it here as well then but I saw this picture today, which was enough to give me chills:

Horizon+Zero+Dawn%3F_20170215210708.jpg

I don't know if I'm going to keep up on my pre-order and I'm kind of sad about that. I really want this game but it's a huge one and two days later I'm getting Zelda... I have a problem with finishing big open world games so there's that to think about. I might just get HZD come early April or late March, but I don't know if getting it day one is the right thing for me to do at this point.

• Like 1