Horizon: Zero Dawn Review Roundup

Parker

16 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Eurogamer Italy maybe. 

Eurogamer UK didn't like it enough to even give it a recommended. (They don't do numbers.) They're often quite harsh though. Their complaint seems to be "it doesn't do anything new, but does what it does well".

So it seems.. Skimming through the reviewers other reviews I'm not too sure he was the right guy for this review though.

7 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

I'm not too sure he was the right guy for this review though

Whether he was or not, it made it past their editorial team and it stands for the site so... that's that I guess. It's one result among many, I look forward to reading more reviews over lunch. Now that I've seen one site's criticisms, I will look out for whether the other sites pick up on a similar flaw.

Ultimately, we'll be the judges when we get to play it.

I've seen some mixed comments in reviews about the story/characters. Some love it, some find it serviceable, some dislike it. Story was always the main interest for me with this game so it's a shame that reception is mixed on that front.

Still not sure the combat is really my thing. All the enemies seem extremely tanky and I'm getting bad flashbacks to Soul Sacrifice/Freedom Wars where you would spend forever just killing a single enemy (and of course if you die they get all their health back because you have to restart).

The game is getting excellent scores across the board- the No Man's Sky comparisons are already out the window because most reviews I saw for that were mediocre at best. Your enjoyment of ANY game is down to your own personal opinion, not just this game. To me, this has looked good since the first footage was revealed. The only thing stopping me from getting this is my massive backlog.

Also, the most recent example of "paid review" I can think of was for 'Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor' and that game was excellent anyway. The last thing the gaming community needs is a tantrum against critics like DC fanboys do when a mediocre movie gets the scores it deserves.

• Like 2

Kind of weird that as a PlayStation owner I wasn't really excited. I know that I never take reviews seriously as they reviewed my favourite games down to like 6.5/10 or something but looking at the 10/10, 9.8/10, etc makes me kind of want to get it which I assume now that reviewers can still sway the customer's opinion. However I'll wait as usual for a price drop as I can't afford to shell out $80 or $90 for a physical copy.

13 minutes ago, MeteorHawk said:

The game is getting excellent scores across the board- the No Man's Sky comparisons are already out the window because most reviews I saw for that were mediocre at best. Your enjoyment of ANY game is down to your own personal opinion, not just this game. To me, this has looked good since the first footage was revealed. The only thing stopping me from getting this is my massive backlog.

Also, the most recent example of "paid review" I can think of was for 'Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor' and that game was excellent anyway. The last thing the gaming community needs is a tantrum against critics like DC fanboys do when a mediocre movie gets the scores it deserves.

Lol shadow of Mirror's screwed me soo hard on ps3. It was the worst port I've ever played in my life. Extremely glitchy, laggy, with loading times everytime you exit the pause menu or the map menu. It was awful. The gameplay saved it a little for me but also the disappointing boss fight at the end killed it for me. I'd love to experience it again on ps4 the way it was supposed to be played but I'm not giving them my money again for what should've been playable on the ps3 and I dont even remember reviewers caring too much for last gen anyways. Lol coming as salty but the truth shall be revealed!

2 minutes ago, poopooblast said:

Lol shadow of Mirror's screwed me soo hard on ps3. It was the worst port I've ever played in my life. Extremely glitchy, laggy, with loading times everytime you exit the pause menu or the map menu. It was awful. The gameplay saved it a little for me but also the disappointing boss fight at the end killed it for me. I'd love to experience it again on ps4 the way it was supposed to be played but I'm not giving them my money again for what should've been playable on the ps3 and I dont even remember reviewers caring too much for last gen anyways. Lol coming as salty but the truth shall be revealed!

Well you've pretty much explained your own big mistake- playing the shitty PS3 version. It shouldn't have been released. The PS4 version is superior in every way- it has the full Nemesis system which is the best and most unique part of the game. Yeah, the final boss fight is still disappointing but not enough so to ruin the game. Wait for a deal to get it or the GOTY version cheaper, you won't regret it, it'll be almost like an entirely different game.

16 minutes ago, poopooblast said:

In PS4 is a completely different game. Right now is on sale in the EU Store (I think that the GOTY edition cost me about 20€ or so).

11 minutes ago, MeteorHawk said:

Well you've pretty much explained your own big mistake- playing the shitty PS3 version. It shouldn't have been released. The PS4 version is superior in every way- it has the full Nemesis system which is the best and most unique part of the game. Yeah, the final boss fight is still disappointing but not enough so to ruin the game. Wait for a deal to get it or the GOTY version cheaper, you won't regret it, it'll be almost like an entirely different game.

It was on sale for $12 the GOTY during the flash sale but I refused to get it. Also tbh, I only heard nothing but praise about the game and I got many games before where it was multiplatform and it performed well on last gen so I didn't think it'll be bad. I did learn my lesson though.

1 minute ago, Shurax_Urden said:

In PS4 is a completely different game. Right now is on sale in the EU Store (I think that the GOTY edition cost me about 20€ or so).

Lol yea it's $12 here but I don't think I'll be getting it twice but thanks nonetheless! :) 

1 hour ago, MeteorHawk said:

Well, Shadow of Mordor - which I'm currently playing- it's a special case, it was a showcase of current generation, the hype and impressions were understandable. Luckily is a great game, very fun.

I'm loving the Nemesis system. 

• Like 1

Was already getting Day 1. All this tells me is more incentive to get the (average) collector's edition. One final reviewer I am waiting for is ACG (one of Youtube's finest and top reviewers) before settling on the CE's.

5 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Funny reviews talk about gameplay elements when the game seems to be more cutscenes than gameplay from what I've seen on the stream =D

That's very ignorant, and wrong. And this isn't Uncharted 4. Horizon actually excels at gameplay and has gameplay depth.

4 hours ago, AnimeDreama said:

Could Horizon end up another The Last of Us?

Dear, it'll be better than TLOU :). No other filler details (by me) necessary.

I'm so glad this game got good reviews. I knew it would be good but I still had this feeling it would be another No Man's Sky situation. I know we're only in February, but 2017 is looking much better for gaming than 2016. I can't wait to get Horizon in a few days :D.

2 hours ago, madbuk said:

I've seen some mixed comments in reviews about the story/characters. Some love it, some find it serviceable, some dislike it. Story was always the main interest for me with this game so it's a shame that reception is mixed on that front.

Yeah, some find it rather bland and generic, which is exactly the impression I got from the trailers. I'm sure it'll be alright though, I'm not exactly expecting this to revolutionize videogame storytelling.

2 hours ago, MeteorHawk said:

That's rich, considering game critics throw tantrums against the community all the time. Remember DmC? Nice job trying to quash those who disagree with you, though. I don't see what motivation you would have to be against your fellow community but oh well. 

1 hour ago, LunchCannon54 said:

That's rich, considering game critics throw tantrums against the community all the time. Remember DmC? Nice job trying to quash those who disagree with you, though. I don't see what motivation you would have to be against your fellow community but oh well. 

Ooh, did I touch a nerve? Never said anything about being "against my fellow community" at all, did you pull a muscle making that reach? I clearly said that it's all down to personal opinion. What I also said was the last thing we need are a select group of diehards crying because they don't like what "biased" critics have to say, clearly demonstrating themselves that they don't understand the concept of "bias" themselves. Don't remember any tantrums about DmC against gamers from critics, in fact I remember quite clearly the massive amount of backlash against the game by fanboys simply because it was a reboot but the game itself was quite good. I hope that clears things up for you and you think things through before responding to anything in future.

Edited by MeteorHawk
  • Like 1

Christ - do all of these threads need to turn to feces slinging?

I knew nothing about this game until I saw a trailer for it while listening to "Generation Clash II" by Accept. The early reviews seem positive, but of course people take early reviews with a grain of salt. Otherwise, they would just have handed the Oscar for Best Picture to Doctor Strange after the reviews from its Hong Kong preview. :lol:

I look forward to this game. I fully expect that such an ambitious title will have numerous glitches that must be patched, but given my policy to wait on games, what do I care?