"What The Hell Is That Still Doing There" Backlog Event

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hey, have a little faith in me! :P Those 3 trophies shouldn't be too bad with smart use of the Phase Locket and Propeller Dagger, and with 100 mana I can use them pretty frequently. Anyway, I may give up once I get to some of the trickier platforming levels as I already said, but I want to at least make the attempt. I had to beat the Enchantress again to get the Music Sheets in that level, and I did much better the second time around (her first phase is definitely harder though). Thankfully Shovel Knight only saves in-level deaths when completing a level, so online savegame backup/restore isn't necessary for the Impossible trophy. 

Well personally I would not go for the platinum thanks to trophies like that so it's not something personal. Did not know that deaths only count upon completion though, that makes it all a bit easier. And that makes destroying checkpoints trivial as you can't use them during that run anyways, by the way.

I noticed the KYC3 event after it already started, and it looks like something I should do. I think I will join the next KYC event.

Do it... Join ussss....

Along the same lines, I'm actually working on a spreadsheet to compile my backlog for all consoles... be afraid, be very afraid. One thing I can say after looking through purchase/download lists to transfer over to the spreadsheet, is that PSN is easily the best of the lot. The Microsoft one is alright but it includes apps like Office, and it also doesn't include all purchases (at least not free Games with Gold). The PSN one is complete, if nothing else. It would be awesome to be able to filter DLC out, but I'll take it as it is. Nintendo doesn't seem to have a way to view purchases at all, besides looking in the eShop on each console. I'm still working on the digital stuff; I haven't even started looking at my disc games yet. :( Still, this is the best way for me to see the scope of the problem and set better completion goals. 

Through @Zanreo's tag, I joined backloggery, added a few games... and removed my profile again, I gave up. For now I'm just using my backlog thread here for the PS4/PS3 games and my Switch backlog is still nice and small since I only buy a new digital game after playing through the last one.

Jurassic Park is actually in my backlog but I never started it, so it doesn't qualify for this event. 

... It does then qualify for the KYC events though B)

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well personally I would not go for the platinum thanks to trophies like that so it's not something personal. Did not know that deaths only count upon completion though, that makes it all a bit easier. And that makes destroying checkpoints trivial as you can't use them during that run anyways, by the way.

Oh okay, I thought you were referring to my apparent lack of platformer skills (which I have admitted to myself). :P

I look at it this way, I really enjoyed the game once I got back into it, so I want to do a New Game+ run, and I might as well try to meet those requirements. If it gets too frustrating, I'll give up and still have gotten more than my money's worth for the game. I'm not saying "Platinum or bust", I'm saying "I'll give it a shot, and if it's too hard, oh well". As you said, checkpoints are useless if you are not allowing for any deaths, so those 3 trophies complement each other. In addition, not losing any money from dying (and the extra money from destroying checkpoints) should be enough for the trophy that requires building up 50,000 money on hand. So it doesn't seem impossible... challenging, but doable. Maybe not doable by me, but I'll give it a shot! 

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Do it... Join ussss....

... It does then qualify for the KYC events though B)

Since you've done a few of those events from what I can see, is it something I can join halfway through? I looked at the first post and the recent posts there and it seems to be structured with a start and finish date, so midway joins don't seem to make sense. 

8 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Through @Zanreo's tag, I joined backloggery, added a few games... and removed my profile again, I gave up. For now I'm just using my backlog thread here for the PS4/PS3 games and my Switch backlog is still nice and small since I only buy a new digital game after playing through the last one.

Hmm, I will check out that site. I want to compile ALL my backlog games to see exactly what I'm dealing with. I don't want to just wave off an entire platform like you did with X360, since I'm keeping all my systems for now. I'm not saying that wasn't the right decision for you, and it honestly could be the right decision for me. But I haven't reached that point yet, so I want to list out everything from every platform. From there I can decide which games to abandon (for now at least) and which ones to at least try. I'm certainly never going to Platinum all of my PS4 games, much less the PS3 and Vita ones. So I need to set reasonable goals. I just know that I don't want to miss the gems on each system I have. Last night I restarted Wonderful 101 on Wii U after last playing it (and abandoning it) years ago, and I had a lot of fun. 

13 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh okay, I thought you were referring to my apparent lack of platformer skills (which I have admitted to myself). :P

I look at it this way, I really enjoyed the game once I got back into it, so I want to do a New Game+ run, and I might as well try to meet those requirements. If it gets too frustrating, I'll give up and still have gotten more than my money's worth for the game. I'm not saying "Platinum or bust", I'm saying "I'll give it a shot, and if it's too hard, oh well". As you said, checkpoints are useless if you are not allowing for any deaths, so those 3 trophies complement each other. In addition, not losing any money from dying (and the extra money from destroying checkpoints) should be enough for the trophy that requires building up 50,000 money on hand. So it doesn't seem impossible... challenging, but doable. Maybe not doable by me, but I'll give it a shot! 

It actually only just now hits me that you completed Shovel Knight... Yay, discussion!

Spoiler

I loved Tinker Knight, the second phase of the boss fight was still easy but I thought the boss fight as a whole was hilarious!

What did you think about that final real level, where you end up fighting against all the Knights again? I really liked it, also noticed they gave me much less trouble than when I encountered them solo the first time around.

Since you've done a few of those events from what I can see, is it something I can join halfway through? I looked at the first post and the recent posts there and it seems to be structured with a start and finish date, so midway joins don't seem to make sense. 

Yeah you join before the start and it takes one month, there might be a 'lite' version next time around it seems. KYC3 was last March, so KYC4 should be within the next few months.

Hmm, I will check out that site. I want to compile ALL my backlog games to see exactly what I'm dealing with. I don't want to just wave off an entire platform like you did with X360, since I'm keeping all my systems for now. I'm not saying that wasn't the right decision for you, and it honestly could be the right decision for me. But I haven't reached that point yet, so I want to list out everything from every platform. From there I can decide which games to abandon (for now at least) and which ones to at least try. I'm certainly never going to Platinum all of my PS4 games, much less the PS3 and Vita ones. So I need to set reasonable goals. I just know that I don't want to miss the gems on each system I have. Last night I restarted Wonderful 101 on Wii U after last playing it (and abandoning it) years ago, and I had a lot of fun. 

Ooooh, low blow!

Yeah it was definitely the right decision for me. That backlog was filled with mediocre games I got through sales and it made me not want to play games any more, giving it to a friend and starting on PlayStation was one of the best gaming choices I made in recent years. So it was not about getting rid of part of my backlog as much as it was about trying to revitalise my interest in gaming.

By the by I also waved off a second entire platform (Vita) from which I have unfinished games on my card and unplayed games in my backlog. It's all PS+ or cross-buy, though. Waved off that one because I was barely using it and I knew that I'd never use it any more once the Switch would be released.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

, I'm actually working on a spreadsheet to compile my backlog for all consoles....  Still, this is the best way for me to see the scope of the problem and set better completion goals. 

Yeah, digging through 70 pages of a download list is a pain, but if you've got a sheet it's easy to see what you have, and then you can just use the search function to find the games. 

I noticed the KYC3 event after it already started, and it looks like something I should do. I think I will join the next KYC event. Along the same lines, I'm actually working on a spreadsheet to compile my backlog for all consoles... be afraid, be very afraid. One thing I can say after looking through purchase/download lists to transfer over to the spreadsheet, is that PSN is easily the best of the lot.

I already did something similar back in 2015. I also started tracking all the games I played through, new purchases, games I sold. Went with it for about half a year, then it somehow escalated and I only kept track of the games I finished. In 2016 (and 2017 so far) I only kept track of purchases, disposals and finished games. I even started to flag purchases where I double dipped which is one big flaw o' mine, mainly due to all those former download-only games which get a retail release, like Shovel Knight, or Hyper Light Drifter. It feels like half of my PS4-retail collection consists of these.:shakefist:

But keeping track of the general backlog would also be a good idea. Might try this again. When I did it back in 2015 I had a backlog of at least 300 games over all platforms, but quite a lot were from Steam. As I started to clean up my Steam-library it should be a bit lower by now (went from 200+ games to ~100 games). At least I can keep my new purchases under control.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Wish there was a better website than backloggery. I find the layout confusing and cluttered. The list I have here, though simple, is so much easier to keep track of.

18 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Wish there was a better website than backloggery. I find the layout confusing and cluttered. The list I have here, though simple, is so much easier to keep track of.

Yeah I love the layout of my own backlog thread here much more. It's only for PlayStation gaming though, but then again my Nintendo backlog is small enough that I do not need to make a list just yet.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Ooooh, low blow!

Yeah it was definitely the right decision for me. That backlog was filled with mediocre games I got through sales and it made me not want to play games any more, giving it to a friend and starting on PlayStation was one of the best gaming choices I made in recent years. So it was not about getting rid of part of my backlog as much as it was about trying to revitalise my interest in gaming.

By the by I also waved off a second entire platform (Vita) from which I have unfinished games on my card and unplayed games in my backlog. It's all PS+ or cross-buy, though. Waved off that one because I was barely using it and I knew that I'd never use it any more once the Switch would be released.

That's right, you waved off the Vita backlog as well. Well, full disclosure, I did the same with PC. I have hundreds, if not thousands, of games on Steam. It's crazy. Yes, a lot of them are from Humble Bundles (where I consider the games a bonus to donating to charity; I only do them occasionally though, I don't do the monthly stuff) and other things like that, but still. Anyway, when I first got my PS3 I abandoned the PC and I doubt I'll ever go back. With those games added to my backlog it would probably double. But I'm already up to 400 games just going through my Xbox1 (including 360 backwards compatibility) and PSN download lists, and I'm only 1/3 of the way through the PSN list. And my retail games still aren't counted yet, nor is my 3DS/Wii/WiiU backlogs. Now I do have a decent amount of games to remove from the list (I'm including all of them now, even ones I finished, to make sure I don't miss any on the download/purchase lists), but with my other games to add, I think I'll be above 500 when I'm done. So the next step after that is to remove ones I never intend to play. There are a fair amount of double-dips on there. For example, I loved Legend of Korra on PS4, so I bought it for $5 on Xbox1 when it was on sale. But I'll probably never play it again, so I should remove it. I think I'll end up making multiple tabs, things like "games to try out", "games to Platinum", "abandoned games", etc. I'm used to silly spreadsheets, I have made sheets for "story viewing order" for Star Trek and Doctor Who, for example. Yes, I'm a nerd. 

Also, wow, I kicked off a whole backlog discussion! Sorry if I got things too far off course. 

It actually only just now hits me that you completed Shovel Knight... Yay, discussion!

Reveal hidden contents

I loved Tinker Knight, the second phase of the boss fight was still easy but I thought the boss fight as a whole was hilarious!

What did you think about that final real level, where you end up fighting against all the Knights again? I really liked it, also noticed they gave me much less trouble than when I encountered them solo the first time around.

I found Tinker Knight amusing, and I enjoyed his epilogue ending of making toys for kids. All the other bosses had fun endings too. 

That boss rush level was fun. I think I had to retry once or twice but it was manageable. On New Game+ that will be the hardest part for me, since every other boss gives you a chicken, the rest give you a bomb. So there's less opportunity to heal. The order the bosses come in is random too, on Normal and New Game+. I preferred getting Polar and Plague Knight early because they were the easiest to actually die on (mostly Polar Knight because of the spikes). 

On a side note, Shovel Knight has inspired me to go back and finally give Mega Man a real try. So I bought the Mega Man Legacy Collection for my 3DS. It's also on PS4 but it just felt right on 3DS. Hopefully it will come to Switch too. It has the first 6 MM games and seems to allow you to save anytime, but I'm trying not to abuse that. I plan to only use it at the beginning of each stage for now. After reading that MM1 was harder than the rest, I noticed it for myself. I tried the suggested first stage in MM1 3 or 4 times this morning and died way before reaching the boss. Then I tried MM2 and beat Blade Man on my 2nd try. I do think Shovel Knight is a slicker game (which should be a given, since it was made recently), but these games have charm too. The games are also fairly short so hopefully it won't really add to my backlog. :)

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

Yeah, digging through 70 pages of a download list is a pain, but if you've got a sheet it's easy to see what you have, and then you can just use the search function to find the games. 

Or if you're me, 126 pages! Now a chunk of that is apps and costume DLC for JRPGs (for the record most of them are free, I try to only buy substantial DLC), but I still have a huge list any way you look at it. That's 3023 items by the way. Yes, I have a problem. 

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

I already did something similar back in 2015. I also started tracking all the games I played through, new purchases, games I sold. Went with it for about half a year, then it somehow escalated and I only kept track of the games I finished. In 2016 (and 2017 so far) I only kept track of purchases, disposals and finished games. I even started to flag purchases where I double dipped which is one big flaw o' mine, mainly due to all those former download-only games which get a retail release, like Shovel Knight, or Hyper Light Drifter. It feels like half of my PS4-retail collection consists of these.:shakefist:

But keeping track of the general backlog would also be a good idea. Might try this again. When I did it back in 2015 I had a backlog of at least 300 games over all platforms, but quite a lot were from Steam. As I started to clean up my Steam-library it should be a bit lower by now (went from 200+ games to ~100 games). At least I can keep my new purchases under control.

Thanks for the testimonial. That's basically what I intend to do.

I also double dip as mentioned above, but my problem is getting games on multiple platforms. I don't think I've ever bought a digital and then retail version of a game on the same platform, but I have done the reverse. Sometimes I'll trade in a retail game to Gamestop when the digital version goes on sale for about the same price as the trade-in. But I'm weird like that, I don't like changing discs/cartridges more than I have to. :P

Yeah you join before the start and it takes one month, there might be a 'lite' version next time around it seems. KYC3 was last March, so KYC4 should be within the next few months.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll keep an eye out for KYC4. Hopefully things will have settled by then with my new baby (coming one week from tomorrow!). 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

31 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, wow, I kicked off a whole backlog discussion! Sorry if I got things too far off course. 

The event is for games that have been in your backlog for too long. I consider this pretty much right on topic.

On a side note, Shovel Knight has inspired me to go back and finally give Mega Man a real try. So I bought the Mega Man Legacy Collection for my 3DS. It's also on PS4 but it just felt right on 3DS. Hopefully it will come to Switch too. It has the first 6 MM games

The only Mega Man I have ever played, and the only one I feel the need to ever play in the future, is Mega Man X. It's been released on all versions of the Virtual Console so I feel pretty confident that I can have it on the Switch at some point.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll keep an eye out for KYC4. Hopefully things will have settled by then with my new baby (coming one week from tomorrow!). 

Hopefully the baby doesn't arrive a week too late, because as Dutch comedian Herman Finkers said, the first week with a newborn baby is so much fun and it would be sad if you missed it.

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

Hopefully the baby doesn't arrive a week too late, because as Dutch comedian Herman Finkers said, the first week with a newborn baby is so much fun and it would be sad if you missed it.

Truer words were never spoken! This is a scheduled C-section so the day is chosen for us. Unfortunately, I only realized recently that next Thursday is Star Wars Day, which would be the coolest birthday ever. If only I had been involved in the process, but as the father, I'm pretty much unneeded after that initial step. :awesome:

Thankfully I have that first week off, because it can be quite interesting based on my experience with my first kid. She's only 3, but that's not too young for her to wake up and help the baby at 3am instead of me, right? Right? 

And for @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, this is TOTALLY not how we parent our daughter: 

Spoiler

337886.jpg?b64lines=U3R1cGlkIGJhYmllcyBu

11 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

The only Mega Man I have ever played, and the only one I feel the need to ever play in the future, is Mega Man X. It's been released on all versions of the Virtual Console so I feel pretty confident that I can have it on the Switch at some point.

At least some of the X series is available on Wii U and 3DS, so I'm sure it'll be on Switch too like you said. I think we'll probably get close to the whole line of games, because why not? I actually have PSP remake of X (the first one) but I've never gotten far in it. Hopefully I'll like the NES ones enough to move onto the rest of the series. 

15 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I wish I had spent more time with my nephew, M.J., in his first week, but I am naturally shy. (Yes, I'm an uncle at the age of 45! ^_^)

Also, the Purple Tentacle is taking over! Great trophy card, Billy. ?

43 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Truer words were never spoken!

40 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

I wish I had spent more time with my nephew, M.J., in his first week, but I am naturally shy. (Yes, I'm an uncle at the age of 45! ^_^)

I'm starting to get the feeling that nobody realised that what I said was a joke...

45 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

At least some of the X series is available on Wii U and 3DS, so I'm sure it'll be on Switch too like you said. I think we'll probably get close to the whole line of games, because why not? I actually have PSP remake of X (the first one) but I've never gotten far in it. Hopefully I'll like the NES ones enough to move onto the rest of the series. 

Don't know about whatever the X series is but Mega Man X has been available as a virtual console title for Wii, Wii U and 3DS so that's why I figured it would be available for the Switch eventually as well.

40 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

Also, the Purple Tentacle is taking over! Great trophy card, Billy. 1f638.png

Thanks! Best point and click ever, in my opinion. Closely followed by Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis.

34 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that nobody realised that what I said was a joke...

Having kids in general is a joke! :P It's actually great, but parents need to have a great sense of humor or they'll fail. At least that's my opinion. So I was just running with your joke. 

35 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Don't know about whatever the X series is but Mega Man X has been available as a virtual console title for Wii, Wii U and 3DS so that's why I figured it would be available for the Switch eventually as well.

I was talking about the Mega Man X series. The one you played was the first, but like the NES series there were a bunch of sequels. When I bought the MM Legacy Collection last night on the 3DS eShop, I saw a few of the X games on there as well. It looks like X, X2, and X3 were on SNES before the series moved to PlayStation with X4. 

I was talking about the Mega Man X series. The one you played was the first, but like the NES series there were a bunch of sequels. When I bought the MM Legacy Collection last night on the 3DS eShop, I saw a few of the X games on there as well. It looks like X, X2, and X3 were on SNES before the series moved to PlayStation with X4. 

Wait... So Mega Man X is not just the tenth title in the series?

30 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Wait... So Mega Man X is not just the tenth title in the series?

Of course not, that would be too easy! This is Japan we're talking about here. :awesome:

Mega Man originally had 6 NES titles, then MM7 and MM8 were SNES games. After that, several spin-off series started, including Mega Man X. 

Then, to make things more confusing, a few years back, Capcom made 2 new MM games in the style of the original series, and called them Mega Man 9 and 10. So there is both a a Mega Man X and a Mega Man 10. ?

Also, to highlight my backlog problems... I was working on my backlog spreadsheed and I just reached the half-way point in my PSN download list, and I stumbled across Mega Man Legacy Collection for PS4. That's right, the collection I just bought for 3DS is a game I already bought on PS4, never played, and forgot I had purchased. To be fair, I think it fits better on a portable platform (and smaller screen) like 3DS, but it's still a sad statement about my backlog. 

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I got it, you need a pat on the back? :P

6 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

KYC4 is going to have a bit more flexibility in games and time, so hopefully it works for you. 

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Of course not, that would be too easy! This is Japan we're talking about here. :awesome:

Mega Man originally had 6 NES titles, then MM7 and MM8 were SNES games. After that, several spin-off series started, including Mega Man X. 

Then, to make things more confusing, a few years back, Capcom made 2 new MM games in the style of the original series, and called them Mega Man 9 and 10. So there is both a a Mega Man X and a Mega Man 10. 1f615.png

Also, to highlight my backlog problems... I was working on my backlog spreadsheed and I just reached the half-way point in my PSN download list, and I stumbled across Mega Man Legacy Collection for PS4. That's right, the collection I just bought for 3DS is a game I already bought on PS4, never played, and forgot I had purchased. To be fair, I think it fits better on a portable platform (and smaller screen) like 3DS, but it's still a sad statement about my backlog. 

Fucking game developers and their boners for weird sequential titles... Like how Castlevania IV is followed by Dracula X somehow, or how Dead Island 2 is neither the second game in the series, nor set on an island. Well, I guess it's still not as bad as titles of new IPs that make zero sense (The Last Guardian - neither about a guardian nor about the last of anything).

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

I got it, you need a pat on the back? :P

Yes please, thank you...

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

KYC4 is going to have a bit more flexibility in games and time, so hopefully it works for you. 

Do you already know which month you're going to hold it in, by the way?

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

(The Last Guardian - neither about a guardian nor about the last of anything).

Yes please, thank you...

Do you already know which month you're going to hold it in, by the way?

Isn't Trico the Last of his kind? And wasn't he originally set to protect the castle (or whatever) you're navigating? 

There there. :spank:xD

July I believe. You (or whoever) could do an informal light version in the existing KYC3 thread next month if you want. 

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I also double dip as mentioned above, but my problem is getting games on multiple platforms. I don't think I've ever bought a digital and then retail version of a game on the same platform, but I have done the reverse. Sometimes I'll trade in a retail game to Gamestop when the digital version goes on sale for about the same price as the trade-in. But I'm weird like that, I don't like changing discs/cartridges more than I have to. :P

Double dipping on multiple platforms is also a thing of mine. I recently bought Rayman Legends for the PS4 although I already played it on PS3 and PS Vita. xD Other examples are Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (bought it for PS4 and Vita, prefered the Vita-version though or the upcoming Ys-game which I will get both on Vita and PS4. And to include other platforms: I own all Ys-games on Steam, although I own them already for PSP or PS2. xD

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I had a similar thing once. I bought Freedom Planet (a homage to the old Sonix-games) during a Steam-sale only to realize a few minutes later that I still had an unused key from Humble Bundle for it. Thank god Steam has the refund-option. Sadly I haven't played the game yet. :|

Talking about double dipping, I have done a fair few reruns of games I enjoyed on X360, after I sold it, to PS4 or PS3. Many of the PS3 doubles I obtained thanks to the friend who gave me his PS3 and game collection though.

I seldomly get two different versions of a game at the same time, though. I have bought the Uncharted Trilogy digital on PS4 now, I had played the PS3 retail versions about two years ago but I already sold/traded them back then so I currently own only the PS4 version.

The only games of which I have two different versions at this moment are the Ezio AC games, because I got them again on PS3 (were part of the friend's game collection) and I have obtained the PS4 version, but haven't found someone willing to give a decent price/trade for the PS3 versions yet. I might just keep them so that the next person who gets the PS3 has something fun to play. I will also probably eventually get the PS4 Arkham remastereds, I have them both digitally on PS3 - one from PS+, one on sale for €4-€5 or so.

Talking about double dipping, I'm thinking about what I should do with my SNES collection. Meaning, once the Virtual Console on the Switch takes off, I could get a lot of games on there for the expected price of €5-€8 that I also have lying around on a cartridge. Yet I have a fair few games of which the cartridges could easily be sold for much more than that - like all three Donky Kong Country games, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario All Stars + World... I already sold A Link To The Past for a nice price to create funds for the Switch, played through it earlier this year and figured it would be years before I'd play it again. So... here's where I'm going with this: perhaps when titles I already own get released for Virtual Console, I should see if I can sell the original cartridge for a better price and after I've sold it I could just get the digital Switch version. I mean, just selling one of the Donkey Kong Country cartridges can easily pay for all three of them on a Virtual Console.

12 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

(...) it's still a sad statement about my backlog. 

29 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

I had a similar thing once. I bought Freedom Planet (a homage to the old Sonix-games) during a Steam-sale only to realize a few minutes later that I still had an unused key from Humble Bundle for it. Thank god Steam has the refund-option. Sadly I haven't played the game yet. :|

Crimson quoting made me realise I had forgotten to write down what I meant to say on the statement from Moses: it's not a statement about your backlogs, it's a statement on your memories! I have a lot of stuff (games, movies, books, LEGO) but I know enough about what I have to not buy something twice.

6 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Isn't Trico the Last of his kind? And wasn't he originally set to protect the castle (or whatever) you're navigating? 

Trico is not the last of his kind, I guess you could say his race is guarding something but I'd say that is stretching it.

Spoiler

Perhaps the entity you defeat was the last of its kind, and a guardian of some sort? It's not a clear cut title though.

There there. :spank:xD

Thank you!

July I believe. You (or whoever) could do an informal light version in the existing KYC3 thread next month if you want. 

Nah, a KYC not hosted by Hemiak is not a real KYC. If you're doing it in a month I can't join, I'll just skip and wait for the next one. July makes sense as we've been doing three months in between since the start, it's just not a good fit for me this time around.

The only games of which I have two different versions at this moment are the Ezio AC games, because I got them again on PS3 (were part of the friend's game collection) and I have obtained the PS4 version, but haven't found someone willing to give a decent price/trade for the PS3 versions yet. I might just keep them so that the next person who gets the PS3 has something fun to play. I will also probably eventually get the PS4 Arkham remastereds, I have them both digitally on PS3 - one from PS+, one on sale for €4-€5 or so.

I never intentionally own multiple platform versions of games, unless I have absolutely no intention of playing the "older" one again. Although that's not true of Arkham City; I got the Remastered collection because I knew that I would soon be in the mood to replay both games. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are my most re-played games of all time, beating out my previous favorites of Baldur's Gate 2 and Half Life 2 (which I expand to include Episodes 1&2, and Portal 1&2... shut up, I know it doesn't make sense), both of which I lost access to when I stopped playing PC games (I should probably replay Half Life 2 on PS3 or X1 backwards compatibility at some point to see how it plays there). Anyway, after buying Return to Arkham I decided that my un-earned DLC trophies from PS3 Arkham City annoyed me enough to try to knock those out before a play of the PS4 versions. And my digital PS3 copy is not compatible with my 100% (non DLC that is) savegame from the Game of the Year version, so I had to hunt down a GOTY disc copy to use my savegame. Argh. It doesn't really seem worth it but I do like the combat challenges (the predator ones less so) so I guess it's only MOSTLY a waste of time. :)

Talking about double dipping, I'm thinking about what I should do with my SNES collection. Meaning, once the Virtual Console on the Switch takes off, I could get a lot of games on there for the expected price of €5-€8 that I also have lying around on a cartridge. Yet I have a fair few games of which the cartridges could easily be sold for much more than that - like all three Donky Kong Country games, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario All Stars + World... I already sold A Link To The Past for a nice price to create funds for the Switch, played through it earlier this year and figured it would be years before I'd play it again. So... here's where I'm going with this: perhaps when titles I already own get released for Virtual Console, I should see if I can sell the original cartridge for a better price and after I've sold it I could just get the digital Switch version. I mean, just selling one of the Donkey Kong Country cartridges can easily pay for all three of them on a Virtual Console.

I would say those 5 titles are 99% guaranteed to show up on the Switch VC. Although Mario All Stars and Mario World will probably be separate titles, I'm sure we'll still see them. For that matter, All Stars might show up as the original NES versions instead of the compilation. I think Wii U got both versions? Anyway, my advice is to sell the cartridges, maybe even before the games show up on Switch. Keep in mind that I'm not a collector and I'm not one of those paranoid people that worries about losing access to digital games (although I realize that there is some merit in that concern), so take my advice with a grain of salt. 

And hey, if I turn out wrong and they don't come out on Switch, that gives you an excuse to re-buy a 3DS (which will also let you play A Link Between Worlds and tons of other gems)! :awesome:

Crimson quoting made me realise I had forgotten to write down what I meant to say on the statement from Moses: it's not a statement about your backlogs, it's a statement on your memories! I have a lot of stuff (games, movies, books, LEGO) but I know enough about what I have to not buy something twice.

Well, I would probably say it's a combination of backlog problems and memory problems in this particular case. Now that I think about it, I'm fairly certain that I installed the PS4 version, but it scrolled off the limited games/folders list (I use the abbreviated view) over a couple of weeks of installing other games. So I forgot about it. But it's also a backlog problem because I should have actually played it and therefore not forgotten about it. :)

Still, it's $15 on each platform so it's not like I spent $120 for 2 copies of one game. I do think it will fit better on the 3DS so I don't regret buying it again. 

But yes, I have definite memory problems, I don't deny that. Just ask my wife. :P That being said, this is only the second time this specific problem has happened with a game (I once bought a digital copy of a 3DS game forgetting that I already had a physical copy, NEITHER of which I have played yet). Usually I know what I have, at least for the "AAA" and major indie stuff. I have been known to buy semi-trash games on PSN/X1 sales and I'll be damned if I remember most of those games. In some cases I just have a vague idea though, especially when I haven't actually played the games in question. For example, I know which Ratchet & Clank games I have (all of them on PS3 and PS4, plus Vita versions of the original trilogy), but I don't know exactly which Atelier games I have on Vita beside the Arland trilogy bundle. 

11 hours ago, Hemiak said:

July is good, my birthday is the 1st. :)

• Like 1

I would say those 5 titles are 99% guaranteed to show up on the Switch VC. Although Mario All Stars and Mario World will probably be separate titles, I'm sure we'll still see them. For that matter, All Stars might show up as the original NES versions instead of the compilation. I think Wii U got both versions? Anyway, my advice is to sell the cartridges, maybe even before the games show up on Switch. Keep in mind that I'm not a collector and I'm not one of those paranoid people that worries about losing access to digital games (although I realize that there is some merit in that concern), so take my advice with a grain of salt. 

I'm not a collector in this case - neither my SNES nor my cartridges are the originals I bought as a kid. Pretty easy to get a good price selling them, pretty easy to find them cheaper if you're patient. Rebought SNES games in bulk last year and sold what I didn't want, so in the end below the line I paid about €1-€3 per cartridge. That's a good price considering the titles that are in my collection now. I have zero problems with selling the cartridges if it's for a good price, I can always get them back at a later point in time.

I don't really feel the need to sell them until I know how the Virtual Console on the Switch will work out, though.

I never intentionally own multiple platform versions of games, unless I have absolutely no intention of playing the "older" one again.

Agreed though a current gen version being available can be enough for me to not feel the need to play the old version again.

47 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Agreed though a current gen version being available can be enough for me to not feel the need to play the old version again.

Usually I'm the same way, but Arkham City was an exception (especially since I'm only missing 6 DLC trophies to have 100% in the game). 

I was considering doing the Ezio AC games on PS3 (especially since the PC versions I played never got some of the story DLC), but I decided to get the PS4 versions once those were announced, and I won't be missing the multiplayer, that's for sure. :)

On a side note, Shovel Knight got the Specter of Torment DLC (and the standalone game was also released) yesterday. My Vita copy updated this morning. There are some other cool things in the patch, including the ability to map Relics to a single button (instead of :up: + :square:). I'm not sure if that was available in the Switch version from the beginning, since yesterday was the first time Shovel Knight was changed to the "Treasure Trove" edition on PlayStation platforms. 

This morning I got the final music sheets in Shovel Knight, so I just need to knock out a few random trophies before trying my New Game+ run, and eventually speed run, no-relic run, and DLC playthroughs. 

• Like 1

I want to update my list with more games I could play in this event.

Flame Over (First trophy: 01,03.2016)

Grand Theft Auto Vice City (First trophy: 09.03.20160)

Rogue Lagacy (First trophy: 23.03.2016)

PaRappa the Rapper 2 (First trophy: 26.03.2016)

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (First trophy: 01.04.2016)

Doki-Doki Universe (First trophy: 05.04.2016)

Ratchet & Clank (First trophy: 20.04.2016)

To make it a bit easier for you, here is the complete list to copy/past for you

Games on card for longer than 12 months

Hide contents

Batman Arkham Knight (First trophy 16.07.2015) Actually my first PS4 game and only 3 trophies left for the plat + a bunch of DLC trophies
Entwined (First trophy 18.07.2015)
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (First trophy 05.08.2015)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (First trophy 06.08.2015)
Assassin's Creed Chronicles China (First trophy 07.08.2015)
Fifa 15 (First trophy 08.08.2015) This is very unlikely that I will play this much more
The Last of Us Remastered (First trophy 24.08.2015)
Grow Home (First trophy 01.09.2015)
Teslagrad (First trophy 03.09.2015)
Super Time force Ultra (First trophy 16.09.2015)
Trials Fusion (First trophy 24.09.2015)
Broken Age (First trophy 08.10.2015)
Dragon Fin Soup (First trophy 03.11.2015) Want to get as many trophies as possible
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (First trophy 05.11.2015)
Bound by Flame (First trophy 21.11.2015)
Magicka 2 (First trophy 23.11.2015)
Beyond: Two Souls (First trophy 17.12.2015)
Fallout 4 (First trophy 08.01.2016)
Styx: Master of Shadows (First trophy 12.01.2016)
Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicles (First trophy 19.01.2016)
flOw (First trophy 01.02.2016)
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (First trophy 04.02.2016)
J-Stars Victory VS+ (First trophy 20.02.2016)

Flame Over (First trophy: 01,03.2016)

Grand Theft Auto Vice City (First trophy: 09.03.20160)

Rogue Lagacy (First trophy: 23.03.2016)

PaRappa the Rapper 2 (First trophy: 26.03.2016)

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (First trophy: 01.04.2016)

Doki-Doki Universe (First trophy: 05.04.2016)

Ratchet & Clank (First trophy: 20.04.2016)

In addition I want to move Yu-Gi-Oh back to the list. After finishing all the campaign duells I need a little break before tackling the challenge duells.

For Yu-Gi-Oh you can put Doki-Doki Universe to the working on list. I want to finish this one next. That shouldn't be to difficulte.

• Like 1