"What The Hell Is That Still Doing There" Backlog Event

4 minutes ago, vin_rob said:

The judgement was about starting the game up in general 3 years ago and never got back to it.. xD

But yeah the rude awakening is a cool starting trophy :).. 

Hello World is also a cool name indeed!! I Also work in the IT tho :) 

You think that's bad... I did not even finish the first ever trophy game I played (so, Watch_Dogs). Really liked the idea of getting Hello World as a first trophy but I did not feel like I was getting €40 worth of fun at that time after a few hours of playing so I brought it back to the store for a full refund. Got it back later on for €7,50 or as part of a trade around that value or something but I still need to actually play through it... Might do that soon, I guess.

Edited by BillyHorrible
stupid site, keeps posting my post without letting me know the saving worked and taking me to the new page...

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

You think that's bad... I did not even finish the first ever trophy game I played (so, Watch_Dogs). Really liked the idea of getting Hello World as a first trophy but I did not feel like I was getting €40 worth of fun at that time after a few hours of playing so I brought it back to the store for a full refund. Got it back later on for €7,50 or as part of a trade around that value or something but I still need to actually play through it... Might do that soon, I guess.

Yeah I've also have that game.. Got in in my  console during a KYC event, not that I had it on my list but since a friend came over and I just bought it for a nice price.. 

So we played it untill I got like 1 - 2 trophy´s.. And then I returned to playing Final Fantasy 15.. xD

So I´ll have to wait a view months and then I can add some games in this event, I´ve played then.. I wanted to return to them but somehow.. Destiny etc got in the way .. Yeah I blame Destiny.. (JK)

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

P.S. @MosesRockefeller Do you have your PS3 Portal 2 linked to a Steam account with Portal 2, or did you use that code that came with the retail version? Can't connect online without it...

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/26313-read-important-professor-portal-and-hugs/

I know I don't have Portal 2 on Steam and I did not have the code, got the game used from a friend. I'll see if I can snatch a code from somewhere.

That's a great question. Since I don't know the answer, let me tell you what I DO know. 

I bought Portal 2 on Steam when it first came out, long before I had any consoles newer than a NES. That's the version of the game that I played MP with alongside my buddy on PS3. Fast forward to a couple of months ago, when I had an itch to play Portal 2 again, so I bought it digitally on PS3. Note that despite said itch, I have not started Portal 2 yet on PS3. From what I can read in the second post in that link you shared, my copy should work, as long as it's linked to my Steam account that has an existing PC copy of Portal 2? Hopefully? 

4 hours ago, vin_rob said:

The judgement was about starting the game up in general 3 years ago and never got back to it.. xD

Hmm, come to think of it I also started Ni No Kuni a while back and never got back to it. 

Man, with so many IT workers here (you, me, BillyHorrible), we could almost be an IT Crowd! 

Spoiler

the-it-crowd-s2e1-20081218145048-1_625x3

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's a great question. Since I don't know the answer, let me tell you what I DO know. 

I bought Portal 2 on Steam when it first came out, long before I had any consoles newer than a NES. That's the version of the game that I played MP with alongside my buddy on PS3. Fast forward to a couple of months ago, when I had an itch to play Portal 2 again, so I bought it digitally on PS3. Note that despite said itch, I have not started Portal 2 yet on PS3. From what I can read in the second post in that link you shared, my copy should work, as long as it's linked to my Steam account that has an existing PC copy of Portal 2? Hopefully? 

Yup. Now me...

Hmm, come to think of it I also started Ni No Kuni a while back and never got back to it. 

Man, with so many IT workers here (you, me, BillyHorrible), we could almost be an IT Crowd! 

Reveal hidden contents

That certainly is a nice tnetennba.

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I did something similar (although Watch_Dogs was certainly not my first trophy game), and only recently finished the game. I enjoyed it much more after getting back to it, but from what I hear, the second one is much better. The main thing I struggled with was the stupid trophy to get all music tracks unlocked (and I hardly ever listened to music in the game, so it was an especially pointless trophy). The co-op missions were actually fun though, I wouldn't mind helping people boost if I still had the game. 

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yup. Now me...

That certainly is a nice tnetennba.

Spoiler

c598e52eaf95ca7084ce72f4c99e0674.jpg

Nn7eTCD.jpg

tumblr_o3s57xNFPP1qzt48ao1_500.gif

Edited by MosesRockefeller

11 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

4 hours ago, vin_rob said:

Hide contents

we could start our own It Crowd ^~^ :P

8 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

tumblr_o3s57xNFPP1qzt48ao1_500.gif

lol, I thought this was really funny.. also nice screensaver ;)

10 minutes ago, vin_rob said:

They tried to make an American version of IT Crowd, thankfully it stopped with the unaired pilot. The original is too good to be duplicated. But I get what you meant though. :)

I loved the very first episode, but it was the second episode (with the fire) that made me realize it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the series. The show wore a little thin in the 4th season, but still much funnier than most of the crap out there. I still love rewatching the show regularly. Just seeing Moss' expressionless face already makes me laugh. The "Bluffball" episode perfectly explains my feelings towards sports (not understanding them or people who are fans). 

Also, I liked the show before it was cool, way before it was on Netflix. I forget how I first heard about the show but I imported DVDs from the UK just so I could watch the show. The first season has some great deleted scenes that all make you think "why was this cut?", but sadly the best one isn't on Youtube. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LeetWolf2 said:

Congrats :D Glad you enjoyed the game, I loved it. ....Yeah, its really hard because you're under a time limit and its not that generous plus the RNG with the nemesis system. I have the GoTY Edition so by the time I finished both DLCs I had all the entries for everything. I don't know if that helps, but I wasn't really paying too much attention to the entries.

I have the GoTY Edition as well. It probably is on special Ork like the beast tamer I only encountered once in the game.

17 hours ago, vin_rob said:

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

They tried to make an American version of IT Crowd, thankfully it stopped with the unaired pilot. The original is too good to be duplicated. But I get what you meant though. :)

I loved the very first episode, but it was the second episode (with the fire) that made me realize it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the series. The show wore a little thin in the 4th season, but still much funnier than most of the crap out there. I still love rewatching the show regularly. Just seeing Moss' expressionless face already makes me laugh. The "Bluffball" episode perfectly explains my feelings towards sports (not understanding them or people who are fans). 

Also, I liked the show before it was cool, way before it was on Netflix. I forget how I first heard about the show but I imported DVDs from the UK just so I could watch the show. The first season has some great deleted scenes that all make you think "why was this cut?", but sadly the best one isn't on Youtube. 

IT Crowd is on Netflix for you? Damn...

I have the collected seasons in one DVD box set, as well as a dvd with the final special.

Actually I had a few nights at the office a month or three ago when I bought the DVDs, where we sat in the meeting room (which has a large television) with pizza and potato chips and drinks and everything, watching IT Crowd episodes. We also did a GameCube gaming night once, and we're planning on doing a Switch one.

OT: I almost started on Enslaved, which I played back on the X360 and got the first trophy in some time ago when I did a day of playing all unstarted games. In the end though, I figured getting the backlog down was more important than getting the completion percentage up and I'd rather start on something I had not played through yet, so I started on Shadow Of The Colossus. Don't know what I'll play afterwards, we'll see.

13 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

IT Crowd is on Netflix for you? Damn...

I have the collected seasons in one DVD box set, as well as a dvd with the final special.

Actually I had a few nights at the office a month or three ago when I bought the DVDs, where we sat in the meeting room (which has a large television) with pizza and potato chips and drinks and everything, watching IT Crowd episodes. We also did a GameCube gaming night once, and we're planning on doing a Switch one.

Nice. Check out your S1 DVD and see if it has deleted scenes/outtakes on it. There are some real gems in there. Sadly they didn't do much in that regard with the later seasons. 

Shadow of the Colossus is in my backlog, but I haven't earned any trophies yet so it doesn't qualify for this event. I've heard great things though, I'll get to it one day. 

EDIT: I have a update/question for one of the games in this event. I am currently going through Stealth Inc. I am on the final world but here's the ten-thousand-dollar question. How flexible are we being with the definition of "Story Complete"? For those who haven't played it, Steath Inc is divided into 8 worlds of 10 levels each. But, the final 2 levels of each world (e.g. 1-9 and 1-10) only unlock if you get a S rank and grab the collectible for all 8 of the previous levels in that world. If you actually unlock all 80 levels, you're almost at 100% completion already (the only thing remaining would be to get S-rank and the collectible for those 16 unlockable levels). Personally, I'm considering those unlockable levels as bonus levels and not necessary to say the game is story complete. My rationale is that if you have to ace 64 levels to unlock those extra 16, you're going for 100% completion and not story completion. @BillyHorrible, what say you? I am planning to get the S-ranks and collectibles for the first world, but I'm not doing all 8. That would just be an exercise in frustration and the only way I'd pull it off is by watching Youtube walkthroughs and practicing until my thumbs are worn to the bone. And I'm not doing that. 

On 19.5.2017 at 2:14 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Nice. Check out your S1 DVD and see if it has deleted scenes/outtakes on it. There are some real gems in there. Sadly they didn't do much in that regard with the later seasons. 

Shadow of the Colossus is in my backlog, but I haven't earned any trophies yet so it doesn't qualify for this event. I've heard great things though, I'll get to it one day. 

EDIT: I have a update/question for one of the games in this event. I am currently going through Stealth Inc. I am on the final world but here's the ten-thousand-dollar question. How flexible are we being with the definition of "Story Complete"? For those who haven't played it, Steath Inc is divided into 8 worlds of 10 levels each. But, the final 2 levels of each world (e.g. 1-9 and 1-10) only unlock if you get a S rank and grab the collectible for all 8 of the previous levels in that world. If you actually unlock all 80 levels, you're almost at 100% completion already (the only thing remaining would be to get S-rank and the collectible for those 16 unlockable levels). Personally, I'm considering those unlockable levels as bonus levels and not necessary to say the game is story complete. My rationale is that if you have to ace 64 levels to unlock those extra 16, you're going for 100% completion and not story completion. @BillyHorrible, what say you? I am planning to get the S-ranks and collectibles for the first world, but I'm not doing all 8. That would just be an exercise in frustration and the only way I'd pull it off is by watching Youtube walkthroughs and practicing until my thumbs are worn to the bone. And I'm not doing that. 

For me the story is completed when the credits roll. I would suggest to count this way for this event.

The credits are always at the end and I can think of only one game in which I played during the credits, which was one of the Ezio Assassin's Creed games.

And because I don't know if @s work in edits: @BillyHorrible

On 2017-5-19 at 2:14 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

32 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

For me the story is completed when the credits roll. I would suggest to count this way for this event.

The credits are always at the end and I can think of only one game in which I played during the credits, which was one of the Ezio Assassin's Creed games.

And because I don't know if @s work in edits: @BillyHorrible

Nope, didn't get that notification... Thanks @MarkusT1992!

@MosesRockefeller I've played the first Stealth Inc, loved it. There is definitely an end to the story without those bonus levels, I have not done those either. Personally I have the same general opinion about it as Markus, though I think epilogues count for the story as well if there is one. Kind of depends how it has been set up, but it's usually pretty obvious when you play it. Stealth Inc, as said, definitely has a "finished story" vibe after the last regular level.

Example of a game where I say a little bit extra playtime is needed after the credits is Assassin's Creed III, simply because the devs thought the epilogue was important as well:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/1709-assassins-creed-iii/46-fin

Fin - Complete each of the epilogue missions unlocked after the credits roll.

Here I am, ready to do my updates from posts of the last week... And turns out I have nobody to update here ?

Personally I've finished Shadow Of The Colossus. Should have played it when it was released because now it's aged badly and it's not as amazing as it should have been. I also played through Retro/Grade but neither game was on my profile before this week so they don't count for this event.

I did continue for a bit in God Of War: Ascension and in Rain though. Both have been on my profile for a while. I'll get back to Ascension some day when I have a bit more time on my hands (I want to finish it in one go instead of doing a chapter every other evening), perhaps I'll use a weekend next month, but I might finish up Rain tonight. Might.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Here I am, ready to do my updates from posts of the last week... And turns out I have nobody to update here 1f602.png

Personally I've finished Shadow Of The Colossus. Should have played it when it was released because now it's aged badly and it's not as amazing as it should have been. I also played through Retro/Grade but neither game was on my profile before this week so they don't count for this event.

I did continue for a bit in God Of War: Ascension and in Rain though. Both have been on my profile for a while. I'll get back to Ascension some day when I have a bit more time on my hands (I want to finish it in one go instead of doing a chapter every other evening), perhaps I'll use a weekend next month, but I might finish up Rain tonight. Might.

No! I have an update! I finished the story in Stealth Inc, since you agreed to count that milestone as completing the main levels. :)

That said, I still intend to S-rank and get all the collectibles in the first world, so you can wait until next week to update it if you want. But as I said before, no way in heckfire am I going for 100% completion. 

On a more important note, as I get close to completing my backlog spreadsheet, I am rethinking my gaming goals. I am going to vastly decrease my Platinum hunting, and instead opt for story completion for the vast majority of my games. It's the only way I'll ever make any progress on my backlog. I do like getting Platinums, but now that I realize I am really facing a choice between getting lots more Platinums and skipping a lot of games in my backlog forever, and getting fewer Platinums but experiencing more games overall... I'm going for the second option. 

So with all that said, I want to make some adjustments to my list of games for this event. Please remove Zone of the Enders, Star Trek, and both Ratchet & Clank games. Also, move GTA San Andreas to the Story Completion list please. I'll keep Arkham City, The Swindle, and Sound Shapes on the 100% Completion list for now, but I may drop them later. 

No! I have an update! I finished the story in Stealth Inc, since you agreed to count that milestone as completing the main levels. :)

Nice, last thing you said about it was you were still going in the final world. Good game, no?

And that ending...

That said, I still intend to S-rank and get all the collectibles in the first world, so you can wait until next week to update it if you want. But as I said before, no way in heckfire am I going for 100% completion. 

You completed the story so I'll update that after this post is ready.

On a more important note, as I get close to completing my backlog spreadsheet, I am rethinking my gaming goals. I am going to vastly decrease my Platinum hunting, and instead opt for story completion for the vast majority of my games. It's the only way I'll ever make any progress on my backlog. I do like getting Platinums, but now that I realize I am really facing a choice between getting lots more Platinums and skipping a lot of games in my backlog forever, and getting fewer Platinums but experiencing more games overall... I'm going for the second option. 

So with all that said, I want to make some adjustments to my list of games for this event. Please remove Zone of the Enders, Star Trek, and both Ratchet & Clank games. Also, move GTA San Andreas to the Story Completion list please. I'll keep Arkham City, The Swindle, and Sound Shapes on the 100% Completion list for now, but I may drop them later. 

Good choice, personally I'm occasionally doing a platinum but mostly I just ignore them. One blind story run, then checking if there's some easy quick trophies left to do, then on to the next game.

I'll start doing your update now.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nice, last thing you said about it was you were still going in the final world. Good game, no?

Yes, and I have the 2nd one ready to go as well. I actually picked up the 2nd one on Wii U because it was one of those rare exclusives that looked great, and then when I found out they were porting to other platforms, I wanted to wait for the Vita version. I just never thought it would take this long to finally finish the first one! 

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Good choice, personally I'm occasionally doing a platinum but mostly I just ignore them. One blind story run, then checking if there's some easy quick trophies left to do, then on to the next game.

I am adopting a policy of getting Platinums on a game-by-game basis, and I'll still have a few Platinum franchises. For example, I've Platinumed all the LEGO games up through Force Awakens, so it would feel weird not to do the same in Worlds and future games. Personally however, I'm counting my (non-verifiable by anyone else) 100% completion in LEGO City Undercover Wii U, and I don't feel compelled to buy or get the Platinum in the PS4 version for now. If it drops in price a lot I may pick it up and go for that Platinum though... I did really like it. The same applies to LEGO Harry Potter PS4, I grabbed it but probably will never play it, since I need to focus on new games instead of replaying older ones. The other thing I plan to do is games that I don't intend to sell, I can do a playthrough to get the story done, and then revisit it a year or so later if I'm in the mood, and get the Platinum then. For example, I finished the story in Kingdom Hearts 1 but I'm finishing up all the random stuff in this first playthrough before moving on, and that way I can get the Platinum later with 1 Hard playthrough and a quick Easy-mode playthrough. 

Honestly I was already playing some games with no intention of a Platinum, but now it will be more. Expect to see a lot of Telltale games on my profile going forward. :)

One thing that won't change though, is that I still won't play games I didn't want to play, just for easy trophies. I've never done that and never will. Everybody has their own playing style, and I'm not telling anybody else how to play. But my main goal is to experience interesting games and get trophies in the process as a bonus. But I'm no longer going out of my way to get Platinums when it makes my backlog suffer. I guess I need to change my PSN profile comment now. :P

Yes, and I have the 2nd one ready to go as well. I actually picked up the 2nd one on Wii U because it was one of those rare exclusives that looked great, and then when I found out they were porting to other platforms, I wanted to wait for the Vita version. I just never thought it would take this long to finally finish the first one! 

I tried the second game but I did not like it...

I am adopting a policy of getting Platinums on a game-by-game basis, and I'll still have a few Platinum franchises. For example, I've Platinumed all the LEGO games up through Force Awakens, so it would feel weird not to do the same in Worlds and future games. Personally however, I'm counting my (non-verifiable by anyone else) 100% completion in LEGO City Undercover Wii U, and I don't feel compelled to buy or get the Platinum in the PS4 version for now. If it drops in price a lot I may pick it up and go for that Platinum though... I did really like it. The same applies to LEGO Harry Potter PS4, I grabbed it but probably will never play it, since I need to focus on new games instead of replaying older ones. The other thing I plan to do is games that I don't intend to sell, I can do a playthrough to get the story done, and then revisit it a year or so later if I'm in the mood, and get the Platinum then. For example, I finished the story in Kingdom Hearts 1 but I'm finishing up all the random stuff in this first playthrough before moving on, and that way I can get the Platinum later with 1 Hard playthrough and a quick Easy-mode playthrough. 

Honestly I was already playing some games with no intention of a Platinum, but now it will be more. Expect to see a lot of Telltale games on my profile going forward. :)

One thing that won't change though, is that I still won't play games I didn't want to play, just for easy trophies. I've never done that and never will. Everybody has their own playing style, and I'm not telling anybody else how to play. But my main goal is to experience interesting games and get trophies in the process as a bonus. But I'm no longer going out of my way to get Platinums when it makes my backlog suffer. I guess I need to change my PSN profile comment now. :P

Personally I eventually want to get platinums in all the Assassin's Creed games (non-Chronicles), other than that I'll just see whatever comes my way and keeps being fun until the platinum. I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn enough to get the platinum, and I did not feel like grinding for The Last Guardian.

I often just do a story run in games, and return to the games later to get a platinum. Will go back to Just Cause 3 some day, went back to Uncharted 4 recently (didn get the platinum though, but definitely got a whole bunch of new trophies).

I started achievement hunting, buying bad or boring games for the easy completion... Started to hate myself, almost gave up gaming altogether. Things are a lot better for me now.

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

I tried the second game but I did not like it...

Personally I eventually want to get platinums in all the Assassin's Creed games (non-Chronicles), other than that I'll just see whatever comes my way and keeps being fun until the platinum. I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn enough to get the platinum, and I did not feel like grinding for The Last Guardian.

I often just do a story run in games, and return to the games later to get a platinum. Will go back to Just Cause 3 some day, went back to Uncharted 4 recently (didn get the platinum though, but definitely got a whole bunch of new trophies).

I started achievement hunting, buying bad or boring games for the easy completion... Started to hate myself, almost gave up gaming altogether. Things are a lot better for me now.

From your statements about liking 3D platformers more than 2D ones, I am guessing you don't like Metroidvanias? Personally I love them, and Guacamelee is probably my favorite platformer of the past 5 years. I liked it so much I Platinumed it twice, and I'd probably play it again on a Switch. I own so many copies of that game; I know I have it on Steam and Wii U and maybe on Xbox 1? I read that Stealth Inc 2 is more of a Metroidvania game, which means that I should like it more than the 1st one, theoretically speaking. I only need a few levels left to S-rank and/or pick up the Helix collectible in for World 1 in Stealth Inc before I can move on and delete the game. I have the 2nd game installed on my PS4 but I want to play it on Vita, which means deleting stuff to make room. I wish there was a 128GB memory card for it... my 64GB is always full. 

Actually, after getting Platinums in AC Rogue, III, Liberation, Black Flag, and Unity, I will probably eventually try for Platinums in all the AC games. I still have Syndicate in my backlog, and I have the Ezio Trilogy although I'm not sure how far I'll get towards the Platinum. I never got to play the Brotherhood story DLC since I had the PC version that never got them, so I want to play them, and I'm interested in replaying all 3 games to get a fresh replay in, but I'm not sure if I'll tolerate the older gameplay long enough to Platinum any of them. 

I have a friend who bought bad games for easy completion, but I tried to draw the line there. I have a few "trash" games on my PSN download list, but I figure I'll play them for 15 minutes and then I can move on. I probably bought them with the intention of easy trophies, but priorities can change. At the very least, I can say that all of the games I have played were at least interesting. There were a handful of smartphone ports I played on Vita that I'm slightly ashamed of, but I'd still rather play them there than on my phone. :)

1 minute ago, MosesRockefeller said:

From your statements about liking 3D platformers more than 2D ones, I am guessing you don't like Metroidvanias? Personally I love them, and Guacamelee is probably my favorite platformer of the past 5 years. I liked it so much I Platinumed it twice, and I'd probably play it again on a Switch. I own so many copies of that game; I know I have it on Steam and Wii U and maybe on Xbox 1? I read that Stealth Inc 2 is more of a Metroidvania game, which means that I should like it more than the 1st one, theoretically speaking. I only need a few levels left to S-rank and/or pick up the Helix collectible in for World 1 in Stealth Inc before I can move on and delete the game. I have the 2nd game installed on my PS4 but I want to play it on Vita, which means deleting stuff to make room. I wish there was a 128GB memory card for it... my 64GB is always full. 

I said I didn't like fake retro 8-bit in general, I never said I didn't like 2D platformers... In the case of Stealth INc., I did not like it indeed that the second was in metroidvania style, I enjoyed the set level aspect of the first game. I do enjoy MetroidVanias from time to time though, but I prefer classic platforming.

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I said I didn't like fake retro 8-bit in general, I never said I didn't like 2D platformers... In the case of Stealth INc., I did not like it indeed that the second was in metroidvania style, I enjoyed the set level aspect of the first game. I do enjoy MetroidVanias from time to time though, but I prefer classic platforming.

You know what, I think I extrapolated that perception based your comment about wanting a 3D Metroid over a 2D one, combined with your statements about not being interested in the New Super Mario Bros series or Mario Maker, and assumed you didn't like 2D platformers at all. In all those cases, it's 16-bit+ style that's not really retro (although Mario Maker can do fake retryo 8-bit style too). So it's a stretch, but a reasonable one, right? 

I like both Metroidvania style and regular platforming, but I slightly prefer Metroidvania (when it's done well). So I guess I'll like Stealth Inc 2. 

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You know what, I think I extrapolated your comment about wanting a 3D Metroid over a 2D one, combined with your statements about not being interested in the New Super Mario Bros series or Mario Maker, and assumed you didn't like 2D platformers at all. In all those cases, it's 16-bit+ style that's not really retro (although Mario Maker can do fake retryo 8-bit style too). So it's a stretch, but a reasonable one, right? 

I like both Metroidvania style and regular platforming, but I slightly prefer Metroidvania (when it's done well). So I guess I'll like Stealth Inc 2. 

Yeah, most of that just has to do with me not liking fake nostalgia though. I think I played more 2D than 3D games in the last month, and most of those 2D games were platformers.

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Here I am, ready to do my updates from posts of the last week... And turns out I have nobody to update here 1f602.png

Yeah, haven't really started the game I was supposed to play. Hoping really to get in the right mindset after I finish my current game, Atelier Meruru. 

17 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah, most of that just has to do with me not liking fake nostalgia though. I think I played more 2D than 3D games in the last month, and most of those 2D games were platformers.

I don't want to get too sidetracked, but what defines "fake" nostalgia for you? I'm not sure how New Super Mario Bros is more "fake" than Shovel Knight. Visually speaking, the New SMB games weren't actually retro, they were just 2D games that had gameplay very similar to Super Mario World. But they looked modern, unlike Shovel Knight. And I'm not sure that they were intended to be retro in the first place. Nintendo wanted to make more 2D Mario games and that's what they did. 

Super Mario Maker is arguably intended to be retro, but its primary goal was to create a toolset for gamers to build their own levels, and it was smart of Nintendo to make it a 2D game instead of a 3D one. 3D level creation tools are far more complex and such a game wouldn't be nearly as accessible as Super Mario Maker was. I would argue it was a very logical approach that had retro graphics as one of the options (e.g. making levels that look like SMB 3), but wasn't overtly retro just to appeal to nostalgic fans. 

Just now, MosesRockefeller said:

I don't want to get too sidetracked, but what defines "fake" nostalgia for you? I'm not sure how New Super Mario Bros is more "fake" than Shovel Knight. Visually speaking, the New SMB games weren't actually retro, they were just 2D games that had gameplay very similar to Super Mario World. But they looked modern, unlike Shovel Knight. And I'm not sure that they were intended to be retro in the first place. Nintendo wanted to make more 2D Mario games and that's what they did. 

Super Mario Maker is arguably intended to be retro, but its primary goal was to create a toolset for gamers to build their own levels, and it was smart of Nintendo to make it a 2D game instead of a 3D one. 3D level creation tools are far more complex and such a game wouldn't be nearly as accessible as Super Mario Maker was. I would argue it was a very logical approach that had retro graphics as one of the options (e.g. making levels that look like SMB 3), but wasn't overtly retro just to appeal to nostalgic fans. 

Both are fake, Shovel Knight is a very rare exception for me. I liked Titan Souls as well - it's not that I hate it always and ever.

There's a few different reasons why I could dislike something:

I dislike 8-bit fake nostalgia games mostly because they often look and sound ugly. The few examples that I enjoyed a lot managed to still look, sound and feel fun to me (Shovel Knight, Fez...).

I dislike the New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 3D World for moving backwards; Super Mario 64 started a whole new era of Mario games yet we haven't seen anything that continued that trend since Super Mario Galaxy 2. I would not have minded them as much if they'd been side games, with main games that are open worlds still coming out.

I prefer the new courses in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe; I feel the better graphics and gameplay get more out of the new tracks. They should have also done more with A-B tracks, now we only have one real one (the Wario slope) and one fake one (N64 Rainbow Road being cut up into one instead of doing three full laps). Now we have this cool new way of racing and they barely do anything with it, in favour of revisiting old tracks.

And Super Mario Maker was just not the full deal, so much was missing from that game... And it was even more dev resources that were not going into an actual Mario game.