Nintendo Switch hits out strong with 80,000 sold in UK launch

FlareXV

Speaking to retailers this morning, Nintendo Switch has sold around 80,000 units in the UK during its opening weekend. That's double the number of Wii U consoles that were sold during its opening weekend (40,000 back in late 2013). It's not as high as 3DS' debut, which was 113,000 according to Nintendo. Nor does it come close to the PS4 launch (250,000) or the Xbox One launch (150,000). However, it is a solid performance for the machine. There wasn't a huge number of units pushed into the channel (most major retailers are sold out) and the marketing and PR campaign was truncated and arrived late in the day. Retailers tell us that they were very happy with the launch and one store even declared: "Nintendo is back."

That's pretty positive news compared to the Wii U UK launch. I do wish Nintendo a similar success in other countries and hope that they can learn from their faults of the Wii U.

Read the full article at Gamesindustry: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-06-strong-start-for-nintendo-switch-in-the-uk

• Like 1

Yeah, the console launch is pretty barren compared to the JP one, but it was expected considering UK isn't a strong place for Nintendo (According to some NeoGAFFINS).

2 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Is that strong... I mean, I'm reading the article and it says a quarter of a million PS4's on its launch... 150,000 XBOnes... 

Its lukewarm at best but I'm trying to be positive here, lol. The real shocker is the XB1. Even with all that DRM nonsense, the console sold better on its launch day than its predecessor.

• Like 1

If ps4 sold that much we'd be DYING and Sony would have a massive overhaul of its business!

Anyway, I feel the main reason it did so "well" is because of Zelda. They pulled the same stunt when Wii released; put Zelda on the new and old system, but market the shit out of the new version. I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't know Zelda was on Wii-U as well. 

Right now is a Zelda machine. The only game that catches my eye is already available on Android and iPhone.

I'm pretty sure that people are thinking things like "now what?" after finishing Zelda.

I hope time shuts my mouth because if you sell a console based on hype, things could end way bad.

But I can't deny it, the concept inself is awesome. If Sony doesn't learn from this, it would be pretty stupid.

And remember:

Proprietary hardware is bad, friends. SD cards are the future. Nice one Nintendo :yay:

Edited by RemiXounD

I personally think holiday sales are what Nintendo needs to focus on, not necessarily the launch. Like others have said, right now the Switch is a Zelda machine and only big Nintendo fans are going to pick the console up on launch. Closer to the holidays when there are more games (and most importantly, a new Mario) I think we'll see Nintendo really market the machine, have the online and other things finalized (have Netflix, Youtube, Twitch and things of that nature) and then I think the system will really be ready for the market. 

Parker

• Like 1

People have to remember that they are likely sold out, or least has had a high sell through. But that's not saying much, due to the fact that Nintendo is clearly banking on stock manipulation in order to artificially increase demand. ala; early Wii, and early Amiibo.

Pretty gross to me, but whatever, scalpers probably love Nintendo. If I weren't lazy, I'd have snapped a preorder of Switch up and resold it, but that's a hassle.

Edited by Elvick_

Good for Nintendo. They've got about nine months to make news with some games and system features and get the marketing machine up and running. As Parker already pointed out, holiday sales are a true indicator of a systems success and I have no doubt Nintendo learned a ton from Wii U and they'll do great.

A Pokémon release and a 3DS tie in will give a couple hardware sales bumps and people will realize Nintendo is a contender and isn't going anywhere. 

18 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

People have to remember that they are likely sold out, or least has had a high sell through. But that's not saying much, due to the fact that Nintendo is clearly banking on stock manipulation in order to artificially increase demand. ala; early Wii, and early Amiibo.

Pretty gross to me, but whatever, scalpers probably love Nintendo. If I weren't lazy, I'd have snapped a preorder of Switch up and resold it, but that's a hassle.

I don't know how it is elsewhere but my GameStop, Target, Walmart and Best Buy all have Switch systems available. Even on launch day they had units available to people who didn't pre-order so it seems like they aren't doing what they did with the NES Classic and amiibo. 

Parker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlareXV said:

That's pretty positive news compared to the Wii U UK launch. I do wish Nintendo a similar success in other countries and hope that they can learn from their faults of the Wii U.

Read the full article at Gamesindustry: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-06-strong-start-for-nintendo-switch-in-the-uk

A great launch would be the best thing that could happen to everyone. I'd love to see Sony sweat a little bit.

34 minutes ago, Parker said:

I don't know how it is elsewhere but my GameStop, Target, Walmart and Best Buy all have Switch systems available. Even on launch day they had units available to people who didn't pre-order so it seems like they aren't doing what they did with the NES Classic and amiibo. 

Parker

Same here. Further, "stock manipulation" is generally a bad idea. Consumers are very good at finding alternatives. I didn't manage to get an NES classic at the rush, and now? I don't even care. Did Nintendo really gain with that?

Considering how people didn't even know the Wii U was even a new console when it came out, I should hope the Switch had a better launch than that. :P

I wouldn't go so far as to say that those numbers are strong, but it's a solid launch at least. The thing is, though, Zelda is the only game of consequence releasing until late this year for that thing. Splatoon 2 isn't going to shift many systems and neither is a Mario Kart remaster. I see the sales dropping off a cliff until the new Mario comes out out at the end of the year. I mean the 3DS had a bad start as well, forcing Nintendo to reduce the price of the system, but you're saying it had a better launch than the Switch? That doesn't sound great... Of course, this is just the UK sales, so I guess things could look more positive when you take other regions into account.

I mean I guess it's better than the Wii U (which isn't really saying much). 

What I'm more interested to see is how well the system sells a month after launch. 

Unfortunately while the Switch as a console is a lot better than the Wii U I still think this is an uphill climb for Nintendo. The majority of the Nintendo faithful now own a Switch (Or will likely own a Switch within the next several weeks) Now it's time for Nintendo to convince all the other gamers why they need to buy a Switch, and I am sorry, but a Zelda machine with the majority of it's future titles being third party/ indie ports aren't going to sell this system. 

18 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I mean I guess it's better than the Wii U (which isn't really saying much). 

What I'm more interested to see is how well the system sells a month after launch. 

Unfortunately while the Switch as a console is a lot better than the Wii U I still think this is an uphill climb for Nintendo. The majority of the Nintendo faithful now own a Switch (Or will likely own a Switch within the next several weeks) Now it's time for Nintendo to convince all the other gamers why they need to buy a Switch, and I am sorry, but a Zelda machine with the majority of it's future titles being third party/ indie ports aren't going to sell this system. 

Zelda will absolutely sell this system.  It already is.  It will sell more when more is readily available.

Edited by angelgrievous

9 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Zelda will absolutely sell this system.  It already is.  It will sell more when more is readily available.

For now sure, but the big system seller is going to be that 3D mario game which is at least 9 months out. Zelda alone isn't going to sell units for the next 9 months. I expect sales of the system to drop significantly within the next month or 2. 

6 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

For now sure, but the big system seller is going to be that 3D mario game which is at least 9 months out. Zelda alone isn't going to sell units for the next 9 months. I expect sales of the system to drop significantly within the next month or 2. 

I doubt it with mario kart 8 deluxe coming soon and then splatoon 2 in the early summer

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I doubt it with mario kart 8 deluxe coming soon and then splatoon 2 in the early summer

Mario Kart 8 is a port of a Wii U game and the original Splatoon sure as hell didn't sell Wii Us and I don't see how it could sell Switchs.

Edited by ratchetdude231

1 minute ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Mario Kart 8 is a port of a Wii U game and the original Splatoon sure as hell didn't sell Wii Us and I don't see how it could sell Switchs.

The original splatoon sold over 4 million copies, if that didn't sell some of the 13 million wii u's, then I don't know what did. People buy ports, it's a fact

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

The original splatoon sold over 4 million copies, if that didn't sell some of the 13 million wii u's, then I don't know what did. People buy ports, it's a fact

I would argue Mario Kart 8 and Smash were massive Wii U sellers, but with Mario Kart 8 just being ported over to Switch I wouldn't really consider it much of a system seller.  Nintendo is making a big mistake by not making making a brand new Mario Kart and Smash imo.

Just now, ratchetdude231 said:

I would argue Mario Kart 8 and Smash were massive Wii U sellers, but with Mario Kart 8 just being ported over to Switch I wouldn't really consider it much of a system seller.  Nintendo is making a big mistake by not making making a brand new Mario Kart and Smash imo.

I know a lot of people had mixed reactions about smash 4 since they didn't include any type of adventure mode or anything. I found the replay value to be a lot lower without all of those modes

11 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

It's sold out or something? Everywhere I look, the Switch and Zelda are both still available.

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

according to this site, yes, it is mostly still out of stock.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles?nav=16k-3-switchlaunch,28zu0,13ffff2412

aside from a crazy bundle, all standard sku are out of stock at Gamestop.  Amazon US is also out of stock: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_23?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nintendo+switch+console&sprefix=nintendo+switch+console%2Caps%2C166&crid=25FHMW1X32TZD&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anintendo+switch+console

Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/pcmcat1484077694025.c?id=pcmcat1484077694025

I know that there are places to find it here and there but I think for the majority of places it is out of stock or simply hit or miss.

https://www.nowinstock.net/uk/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

I should note that when I was looking for a PSVR the nowinstock website showed nothing in stock at Gamestop, yet when I walked into one they had a single one available.  

Edited by angelgrievous