Vita version works great with patch.

starcrunch061

After a decent early and mid game, the game is crashing constantly (literally every time I die). It stutters badly when I save at a shrine. Also, the touch screen is too sensitive, and I find myself hitting items for no reason other than the fact tat my thumb was too close. Control is an issue, too.

but the crashing is a real pain, because it takes so long to get back to the title screen.

EDIT (May 3rd, 2017): The word is that the many glitches I encountered have been fixed with the recent patch. I cannot confirm this yet, but when I do, I will edit this more fully.

EDIT (July 5th, 2017): So, I finally got around to playing this with the patch, and I encountered no difficulties whatsoever. Although hardly active now, I'm going to close this thread.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 4

My game crashed several times as well, but never when I died; it seemed to be connected to various points on the map. The problem areas for me were approaching the Dome of the Forgotten from the east and around the Coveted's boss arena (I think there was one other time it crashed as well but I can't remember where that was). I didn't have any issues with accidentally using items though. Have you tried redownloading the game to see if that fixes anything?

This is why I no longer bother with Vita ports, unless people say a port of a game is actually good.

Resogun didn't run well on the Vita. I constantly had problems dodging all the lasers and ships with a small screen to work with, and frames dipped often. I still have the original Ratchet and Clank trilogy, but after doing a test run they don't perform nearly as good as on the PS3. The Sly Cooper games were acceptable, but they still had issues in places, whereas on the PS3 the games ran flawlessly and I had no trouble with any of the trophies.

Jak and Daxter looks and plays like utter shit, so I won't bother wasting my time playing through the trilogy when they run so poorly on the Vita.

Games built from the ground up for the Vita are the best choices. Uncharted Golden Abyss runs fairly well, Japanese visual novels run good for what they are and I consider them to be one of the few genres that are better for a smaller screen. Severed is on my backlog and is still currently a PS Plus free game. Many people enjoy it so I'll have to see what it's like.

Salt and Sanctuary looks pretty interesting, I'll give that a try around the end of this year.

I'm gonna echo @Spaz here and agree with him that unless a game is built from the ground up for Vita, games like ports are usually a mess bar a few exceptions, like Batman Arkham: Blackgate.

I love my Vita, but I really wish most ports aren't such afterthoughts for the system...

The game wasnt even stabil on PS4 ..... on "short" playthrough it crashed 2 times.  It is sad if it is way worse on Vita .... i was looking forward to Plat it again soon.  But now i will wait a little bit until they maybe patch it. I dont know why it takes so long to port the game to Vita and then it is a mess like that..... is there no testing team?

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I still have the original Ratchet and Clank trilogy, but after doing a test run they don't perform nearly as good as on the PS3. The Sly Cooper games were acceptable, but they still had issues in places, whereas on the PS3 the games ran flawlessly and I had no trouble with any of the trophies.

Jak and Daxter looks and plays like utter shit, so I won't bother wasting my time playing through the trilogy when they run so poorly on the Vita.

Games built from the ground up for the Vita are the best choices. Uncharted Golden Abyss runs fairly well, Japanese visual novels run good for what they are and I consider them to be one of the few genres that are better for a smaller screen. Severed is on my backlog and is still currently a PS Plus free game. Many people enjoy it so I'll have to see what it's like.

Salt and Sanctuary looks pretty interesting, I'll give that a try around the end of this year.

Framerate is lower on Vita, but otherwise the R&C Collection is fine to me. Aside from the retail version [only in EU] with Going Commando, ie; all the crashing and the inability to get the map-o-matic.

Sly was perfect to me. :/ Sly 4 same thing, and you can say "but mah framerate"... except, that the PS3 version had the same framerate drops in the hub areas. So it's just an  issue with "the game", not "a Vita issue".

personally, I didn't have that many problems with J&D. Honestly think people over exaggerate the first game, other than framedrops in the area with Seagulls which dips to sub-20fps it seems, for no apparent reason... but since there's nothing at all happening over there, but since nothing is happening there it doesn't really matter at all. Jak 2 is just a slog of a game even on PS2, so I can rarely play it so if it's not a good port I wouldn't know as I think the game itself sucks. Found the J&D plat even easier on Vita actually, since the fishing minigame was so much easier with the Vita because the DS3's deadzone is ridiculously huge making that more difficult than necessary. But meh.

Plenty of good ports on Vita. Not as many now though, Japan's kind of just shoving things on there without much thought and the quality shows. And seems indies go into it not really understanding the platform, and promise games on it that are probably best left off of it. I don't doubt some of these games would perform well, but I think the investment to get the games there would be too time and money. And instead of cancelling or investing too much, they just kind of... release whatever and it turns to this.

But I can't really disagree with the overall point. To be wary of Vita ports. But I definitely feel that for some people exaggerate just so they can keep up the meme that they all suck. It really depends. Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero  for example performs beautifully on Vita, and it's a recent one.

4 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

I'm gonna echo @Spaz here and agree with him that unless a game is built from the ground up for Vita, games like ports are usually a mess bar a few exceptions, like Batman Arkham: Blackgate.

I love my Vita, but I really wish most ports aren't such afterthoughts for the system...

Batman Arkham: Blackgate is not a port. It was built for the Vita and later ported to PS3.

On 3/29/2017 at 8:28 PM, Xylobe said:

My game crashed several times as well, but never when I died; it seemed to be connected to various points on the map. The problem areas for me were approaching the Dome of the Forgotten from the east and around the Coveted's boss arena (I think there was one other time it crashed as well but I can't remember where that was). I didn't have any issues with accidentally using items though. Have you tried redownloading the game to see if that fixes anything?

I did reload. It didn't really help, but I do think you're right that the problems are connected to various points on the map (or, at least, various stati of your game). I crashed over and over in Hagen's Cave, but there was some weirdness there (I fell and died, which should have materialized a salt bat, but I never saw one, and I think the game just never produced one there, and crashed when it was supposed to replace it). I continued to have trouble in the Mire, but once I moved beyond there, it rectified itself.

The item thing is probably my fault, but I would have been happier if the touch for the item was in the upper right corner, rather than the lower right. Moving the RS towards the screen seems to trigger it.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:43 PM, Spaz said:

It's a great game, and you can easily compare your experiences on Vita vs. PS4, since you get both for the same price. I'm about to finish the Vita one, so I might be protesting too much, but I do like it on PS4 better.

Edited by starcrunch061

So, 5 more crashes later, and I got my plat. All of the crashes happened in the same place (Salt Alkymancery, on an early incline after passing through a steam tunnel), and all happened consecutively. I thought that maybe changing the "state" of the game might help, and so I ground out a little salt to level once. No more trouble at all with crashes through the Alkymancery, Crypt, and Palace.

Strange stuff.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, FeLiPe_MachiN3 said:

The game has been patched and it runs smooth on the vita now, there have not been any crashes so far. It's amazing.

That's good to know. I've been waiting to play Ng+ runs until the patch came in, so I'm excited to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...