Jak and Daxter: The Trilogy and Jak X PS2 classic games to PS4.

36 minutes ago, Mar said:

I want to see some more discussion here, in regards to wants, expectations, concerns, etc 1f914.png (Just some subjects below...)

A lot of people are disappointed with Jak X's online mode not returning.

60FPS should be a given, but it's a serious concern for others.

Trophy wise, it better a have a platinum, since the odds of this game ever being fully remastered are pretty much 0%, so it's now or never. I specifically hope there's a Hero Mode trophy in Jak X, to raise that plat difficulty, and to really show some acknowledgement towards the existence of the harder mode.

Some will disagree here but I hope for Hero Mode trophies in the platformers/trilogy to. I'd prefer a harder list than the PS3 Remaster.

A lot of people are also concerned about certain unlockables: Jak 1/2/3 Character, Ratchet Character, Daxter Character and Daxtermobile, and the Daxter game cast. These were all unlocked on original-X through having a save data on mem-card for the 4 games, while Daxter content required a USB connection to PSP.

l

Logically, it'd make sense for the PS4 versions of the Jak Trilogy to unlock the 3 different forms of Jak on JX, but what about Daxter and Ratchet? Im not familar with emulation, so can they (Sony) or not change the coding or whatever to make Ratchet and Daxter generic unlockables (or via Daxter's char, tied to Jak II)?

Jak X online isn't impossible in the future. Just gotta set up a fake network and emulating servers, but for PS4... might as well not waste the money on that shit. It's enough with the mediocre experience if you didn't have to experience it with others, and you know there'd be trophies for it. The price of the game would also have been higher.

60FPS... well, depends on how well the emulator plays them. I know PS2 couldn't handle like one more character on screen in certain videos in Jak 2 or 3 or whatever. Did the originals have 60FPS?

Hopefully they don't waste the time with plat for anything other than Jak 1, because that is what they spend so much time on porting these games, and very few are gonna buy 2, 3 and X.

I hope there's a Hero mode trophy too, because then less people will end up experiencing the game.

My guess is, they won't check for the memory card stuff, but if you're lucky they make it so the game thinks there is saves for those games on the memory card. Got my doubts about this.

I don't think they will change any coding, just make sure the emulation works fine. As I said earlier, I don't think it would be too big of an issue to add a Jak 1,2,3 save on the memory card for the emulator.

I'm a fan of Jak and Daxter, promise!

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Hopefully they don't waste the time with plat for anything other than Jak 1, because that is what they spend so much time on porting these games, and very few are gonna buy 2, 3 and X.

Well, Mar asked for more discussion... ?

I just remembered that "be careful what you wish for" is stated a bunch of times in Jak3 :)

Anyway yeah, I don't think they'll give the trophy requirements a whole lot of thought. That they're doing basic PS2 emulation ports instead of a remaster like on PS3 shows to me that this is just for some quick dough.

And yes, you're right, at least for me - I will just buy Jak1 on a sale and I won't bother with the rest unless there's a huge sale, and even then I probably won't bother with that racing game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, Mar asked for more discussion... 1f602.png

I just remembered that "be careful what you wish for" is stated a bunch of times in Jak3 :)

Anyway yeah, I don't think they'll give the trophy requirements a whole lot of thought. That they're doing basic PS2 emulation ports instead of a remaster like on PS3 shows to me that this is just for some quick dough.

And yes, you're right, at least for me - I will just buy Jak1 on a sale and I won't bother with the rest unless there's a huge sale, and even then I probably won't bother with that racing game.

If you look at non-Jak-fan-forums and see what people say about their experience going after the Jak 2 and 3 trophies, you'll see people crying over how difficult it was and how little they liked the game and stuff. Imagine if they couldn't use the exploit for infinite precursor orbs? Yeah, that is what this will be like. You'll have people complain about the luck based driving missions in Jak 2, missions where even if you play perfect there is some vehicle blocking the checking, like inside of it, and you gotta rush through it in no time. I did most of the missions legit. I saved an easy exploitable at the end though. That and the shooting range. Oh, there will be salt over the shooting range.

18 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, Mar asked for more discussion... 1f602.png

It wasn't stated "a bunch of times", not even close tbh. :P

Literally all I asked for was one trophy - beat game on Hero Mode. That's not a lot of thought lol. However, if the JX trophy list has over 10-14 trophies then that means the list was given a decent amount of thought, especially if it has a platinum. Pretty sure other PS2 HD games on PS4 have decent trophy list.

Moreover, I just don't want it to be as piss easy as the PS3 Remaster, aside from the Precursor Orb Trophies since those are tied to varying difficulty side missions. I like to feel like I earned something with effort (admittedly several side missions for those orbs are legitimately difficult-extent), so maybe some trophies like (1) be in last place then finish the same race in first place, (2) destroy all enemies on track in the same race, (3) attain gold medal for all events, etc. None of that mostly Telltale non-missable story crap. 

• 4 months later...

Dammit, I was hoping to ignore this trilogy! It was the death of several of my accounts! ?

Still, if I had to Plat Jak, this game would be the one - despite the stupidity of the mini-games and zoomer controls and those races in Precursor Basin, the game isn't half hard to get 100% in.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:24 AM, MMDE said:

very few are gonna buy 2, 3 and X.

I am definitely going to be one of those who buy and plat Jak and Dax, but not the other games. I have rested Jak 2 and 3 in peace. Can't clear those games because of the BS race missions.

4 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

Dammit, I was hoping to ignore this trilogy! It was the death of several of my accounts! 1f63e.png

Still, if I had to Plat Jak, this game would be the one - despite the stupidity of the mini-games and zoomer controls and those races in Precursor Basin, the game isn't half hard to get 100% in.

I am definitely going to be one of those who buy and plat Jak and Dax, but not the other games. I have rested Jak 2 and 3 in peace. Can't clear those games because of the BS race missions.

There's an orb glitch, in case you didn't know.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:37 PM, yellowwindow7 said:

don't expect a graphical improvements on this release, it's a ps2 on ps4.

meaning unlike the ps3 / Vita's HD remasters, this re-release is basically an emulator of the original ps2 games.

would have been better if they took the ps3's HD remasters instead and re-release them on ps4 and rework them from 720p to run at 1080p or 4K, then emulate Jak X and added trophies support to it, the HD collection especially on the ps3 have ran a lot better than the ps2's original counterpart, on ps3 all 3 games run at solid 60FPS with no screen tearing at all.

They are not emulating, according to the article from the link below, this trilogy is a new remaster;

not an emulation like Bully or GTA trilogy.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/03/jak-and-daxter-ps2-classics-coming-to-ps4-later-this-year/

Edited by charlijaen

6 hours ago, charlijaen said:

They are not emulating, according to the article from the link below, this trilogy is a new remaster;

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/03/jak-and-daxter-ps2-classics-coming-to-ps4-later-this-year/

I don't know man, it said all four will be up rendering 1080p, this is exactly the same as the GTA trilogy, bully dark cloud 1, 2 and rogue galaxy and everything that is ps2 on ps4. 

even the screen shots shows that the games have that letter box screen, from the ps2 games I bought on ps4 only Primal are the only game that have full screen support due to the original game on ps2 used to have progressive scan or something which support flat TV screens and I believe 1080i.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EternalChaos72 said:

Milking the cow that is all. 

Yeah, I'm not fully convinced. While we are in the golden age of the remastered game, I'm applying some optimism here...

Naughty Dog has had two studios since they expanded to develop both Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us at the same time. Obviously one is working on TLOU2, the other has just finished Uncharted 4 DLC-turn-12hr-campaign-Lost-Legacy. What is that team going to do now? Uncharted 6 (I hope not)? A new IP? or return to the Jak universe? I don't think that there is a likelihood for them to assist with TLOU2, and Activision owns the rights to Crash so they can't return to that.

They were testing ideas for a return to Jak (that sucked) when they instead decided to develop their TLOU ideas.

My theory is that ND are testing the waters with Jak PS4 sales to see if a return to Jak and Daxter will be financially successful. :eyebrow:

• Like 1

Jak X coming to PS4 is a good thing,  i don't mind replaying the game again cause i actually enjoyed the combat racing pretty well . As for the trilogy i already playec them on PS2 and PS3 to do the trophies and replay all over for fun , not eager to replay the anymore tbh .

• Like 1

If I get jak 1 with the uncharted LL then il do that again no problem, love the first game. If not il wait for a sale. Done 2 n 3 already aswell and have jak 3 on vita waiting for a rainy day, didn't mind that one. Wouldn't do 2 again if you paid me. Never played jak X, but not a fan of racing games anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

I don't know man, it said all four will be up rendering 1080p, this is exactly the same as the GTA trilogy, bully dark cloud 1, 2 and rogue galaxy and everything that is ps2 on ps4. 

even the screen shots shows that the games have that letter box screen, from the ps2 games I bought on ps4 only Primal are the only game that have full screen support due to the original game on ps2 used to have progressive scan or something which support flat TV screens and I believe 1080i.

I've read it again and the word remaster is not there at all, so I was wrong. My bad .

Then, the PS3 version of Jak games will be better than the PS4 version.

And the worst thing is that Jak X is not getting remastered :( only upscaled and blurry on a big TV

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 8:31 AM, charlijaen said:

They're emulated, not remastered. Although I see you already corrected that lol

On 8/19/2017 at 2:52 AM, GonzoWARgasm said:

Yeah, I'm not fully convinced. While we are in the golden age of the remastered game, I'm applying some optimism here...

Naughty Dog has had two studios since they expanded to develop both Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us at the same time. Obviously one is working on TLOU2, the other has just finished Uncharted 4 DLC-turn-12hr-campaign-Lost-Legacy. What is that team going to do now? Uncharted 6 (I hope not)? A new IP? or return to the Jak universe? I don't think that there is a likelihood for them to assist with TLOU2, and Activision owns the rights to Crash so they can't return to that.

They were testing ideas for a return to Jak (that sucked) when they instead decided to develop their TLOU ideas.

My theory is that ND are testing the waters with Jak PS4 sales to see if a return to Jak and Daxter will be financially successful. :eyebrow:

Lol no they've abandoned Jak at this point. They have far better things to do. Plus this isn't a remaster nor did Naughty Dog have much to do with bringing these to PS4, Sony is doing this not Naughty Dog.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol no they've abandoned Jak at this point. (SOURCE?) They have far better things to do.  (SUCH AS?) Plus this isn't a remaster nor did Naughty Dog have much to do with bringing these to PS4, Sony is doing this not Naughty Dog. (SOURCE?)

Not a flame war, genuinely curious about all three claims :)

6 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Not a flame war, genuinely curious about all three claims :)

I don't need "sources" for something that is so plainly obvious. Seeing as Naughty Dog as a studio is not the same as it was 16 years ago, they've moved past making platformers. Also it's Sony doing the emulating, I know this from the past PS2 on PS4 Games. Naughty Dog doesn't have much to do with bringing these to PS4.

11 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

I don't need "sources" for something that is so plainly obvious. Seeing as Naughty Dog as a studio is not the same as it was 16 years ago, they've moved past making platformers. Also it's Sony doing the emulating, I know this from the past PS2 on PS4 Games. Naughty Dog doesn't have much to do with bringing these to PS4.

Mate if you're going to be snooty next time to someone who admitted their point of view was only a theory and is still interested in the topic, but then claim that your subjective opinions are "plainly obvious" facts, then yes, please bring "sources." 

14 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

But... um... Uncharted is a platformer? It's awfully dumbed down and incredibly boring compared to their previous efforts, Crash and Jak, but it's still a platformer. And a new Uncharted released a week or two ago lol.

Not entirely sure why they would remaster their absolutely worst selling series? The sales dropped by a million for each sequel. UC4 alone sold more than 1-3+X combined, and it's not a matter of the time when they were released either. Both CB2 and CB3 alone sold more than 2-3+X combined. -_- 

In fact, a lot of people over at ND wanted to continue working on Jak, they even tried to make a PSP game that was never released. People just didn't buy the games...

I'm annoyed they are adding trophies, which takes them a lot of time they could have spent on other PS2 games, to these 4 games. They were just released on PS3 and Vita etc too. -_-

Edited by MMDE

On 8/29/2017 at 7:50 PM, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol no they've abandoned Jak at this point. They have far better things to do. 

Like make boring, generic shooters with MATURE storytelling for MATURE gamers? 

Anyway it's very likely Jak X will have a Plat; the bigger issue is whether or not it will have that memory card destroying glitch the original had (which corrupted a few of my PS2 save files and forced me to play Jak X with the memory card unplugged). I think it's part of the reason why it never got a PS3 remaster when even Ratchet Gladiator did (albeit a very poor one). 

It's interesting that the very first game that Naughty Dog developed after Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin left had such a massive game destroying bug. In my opinion it signifies the steep decline in quality their games have suffered since. I mean what do you expect when Neil Druckmann programs it? 

I'm hoping given the spate of PSP remasters that we've been getting this year a Daxter remaster is on the cards, I quite liked that game. I reckon if they're really desperate The Lost Frontier might get a PS2 on PS4 release considering it also got a PS2 version. 

Edited by LunchCannon54

3 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Anyway it's very likely Jak X will have a Plat; the bigger issue is whether or not it will have that memory card destroying glitch the original had (which corrupted a few of my PS2 save files and forced me to play Jak X with the memory card unplugged). I think it's part of the reason why it never got a PS3 remaster when even Ratchet Gladiator did (albeit a very poor one). 

It's interesting that the very first game that Naughty Dog developed after Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin left had such a massive game destroying bug. In my opinion it signifies the steep decline in quality their games have suffered since. I mean what do you expect when Neil Druckmann programs it? 

I'm hoping given the spate of PSP remasters that we've been getting this year a Daxter remaster is on the cards, I quite liked that game. I reckon if they're really desperate The Lost Frontier might get a PS2 on PS4 release considering it also got a PS2 version. 

Lol "Generic Shooters" clearly you haven't played Uncharted or Last of Us. You wouldn't be saying such stupid shit if you had buddy.

19 hours ago, madbuk said:

But... um... Uncharted is a platformer? It's awfully dumbed down and incredibly boring compared to their previous efforts, Crash and Jak, but it's still a platformer. And a new Uncharted released a week or two ago lol.

Not a  platformer in the traditional sense. Also nothing boring or dumbed down about Uncharted, Cant believe you just said something that dumb. Jak and Crash have nothing on Uncharted, sorry if you think otherwise. 

3 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Lol Steep decline? Are you fucking high man? Naughty Dog games have done nothing but gotten better. You Jak and Crash fans need to let go of the past. Neil Druckmann is an amazing writer not a programmer. Also yes, the stories are for adults not kids like fucking Jak and Crash. 

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

1 minute ago, wickenex said:

Did anyone here experienced any freezes, crashes after the latest patch today?

I don't know if it was because they forced the EU version to be 60hz, but I can notice that the game is a lot more unstable.

Why would they force that? There's an option in the options menu to choose if you want 30 or 60. Have you tried changing to 30 to see if it makes it more stable?

I had no issues on 60 but I did it before the patch that was released today.