How is the reception for FFXV by fans and first timers last year and today?

Alantor32

I have been wondering and conflicted by this for awhile since FFXV was released last year. We finally got the game after it went through development hell in 2016 and it sold very well and got lots of positive reviews (Although, I wish the Metacritic score for it would be higher), but there are haters who bash this game and some who loved the game and look forward to more updates.

The haters claimed that SE cheated them out of their money for FFXV's rushed product but hear me out, they were pressed for time and had to release the game last November. Maybe that's why some haters are bashing the game because they may either hate SE or just trolling or venting out their frustation.

So I want to know from the people in these forums, how is the reception for FFXV by fans and first timers who played the game?

• Like 2

I quite enjoyed FF XV when I first played it. I liked the open world and the bromance between the main protagonists. Unfortunately, both the story and gameplay took a considerable turn for the worse towards the end. Once the battle with the Leviathan was over (an epic boss battle I might add), it didn't take long to finish the game. It took me the same amount of time to finish the last several chapters as it took me to finish the first chapter of the game. For a Final Fantasy game, the final boss was a joke and took little effort to beat. In fact, some of the enemies you encounter in free roam were much harder than the final boss.

For a typical RPG, FF XV is a fine game that you can easily put 70+ hours into playing and still enjoy it (despite it's flaws). However, as a Final Fantasy game, I rank this as average - not as good as FF X or the earlier games but certainly much better than the later entries in the series.

Not gonna lie, this is probably in my bottom 5 FF games. I've played every main entry but FF3 because it's only available in US on handheld. 

FF used to be all. About the story and the journey, with optional stuff opening up once you reached a certain point in the story. Someone else mentioned that this game is trying way too hard to be like Skyrim and other currently popular RPGs, and I wholeheartedly agree. There's nothing wrong with those games, but that's not why I buy Final Fantasy.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the side quests actually added anything. Other than the hunts, which aren't really all that unique anyway, all the other quests are just kill or fetch quests of some sort. 

My other gripe is that the world, huge as it is, just feels empty. What good is a huge open world if there just isn't that much stuff in it? 

Don't get me wrong, the game is decent, and looks amazing, but it's not what I want in a FF game. 

• Like 4

I liked FFXV. I had a great time with it. However the overall story was really lacking. You could clearly see they cut so much content to able to release it asap. Just watching the trailer below you can clearly see how much content didn't make the game. After all those years of waiting, it's just a disappointment to be honest.

• Like 1

When a Japanese forum leaked what was going to happen in Versus XIII, I felt a little cheated. I can only hope that DLC and the free updates will touch on some of the characters we hardly seen. Verstael in Versus XIII was meant to make a pact with Ardyn and seemly kills Prompto off? It's story just sounded darker in-general. I still love FFXV and hopefully Ardyn's Past gets a lot of votes on the polls, anytime I see people voting for characters to be playable or like the Hard Mode, I'm just like what because there's more things in the story we need to understand; the gameplay is fine, leave it. Vote for the important options.

Going to be a livestream tonight and I hope it's worth staying up for.

• Like 1

still working on it and I'm still at chapter 3, liked what i saw so far, FFXll will remain the best FF game I ever played from start to finish in my opinion but this one is still fun, definitely way much better than that FFXIII and it's unnecessary sequels that's for sure.

my brother have finished the game already on his account and now he's going for the clean up to Plat the game, I really laughed my ass out at how bad that 10 years later part was, it was bad and hilarious at the same time, when I watch it I felt like the screen blinked the word DLC's Conformed! at a super top speed and vanished before I even realize it.

I've played probably 10-15 FF games, and I'd put this one somewhere in the middle of the pack (6-10). It's a well-polished game, the world was cool, the car was awesome, music was amazing but the story felt shallow and what disappointed me the most was the utter lack of strategy to beat the game. After I got the ultimate blade, I could literally beat the game holding circle with the occasional elixir. The game just got boring after a while.

It didn't feel like a final fantasy game to me. You wander around a beautiful but mostly empty world not doing a whole lot to advance the story for the first 40 hours then bam you finish the rest in less than 10. All you really do is mash attack and warp strike over and over again, there wasn't any strategy to combat at all. 

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the game, but as a Final Fantasy fan, I felt betrayed. Not because it doesn't look like a FF (actually I don't really care about it), but because the story isn't really what I expected. Back to when the game was first announced, I was only nine and it literally made me dream. I expected it to be great, it had everything to be great: the angst was there, the magic was there, the romance was there (I'm a huge fan of FF's romances), and the plot itself looked really great. But then, Versus XIII was canceled and replaced with XV and okay, the story looked good as well but I already felt betrayed because all my hopes were crushed. Even though FF XV has one of the saddest scenarios of the licence, it wasn't well-explained, many questions were not answered, many secondary characters were left behind... So, I don't know? 
The truth is, I think I enjoyed the game because I was already really attached to the characters before the game was released. I still have hope that Versus will come back from the dead since that apparently there is a "project Versus" in Square Enix...

I've been a FF fan since VII, XV was okay "as a game" (I give it a 7/10 maximum), but as a FF it was probably my least favorite of the series... -_- The main reason being that combat system (it's like a damn hack n' slash), it would've made a better Kingdom Hearts game than FF. As much as I always wished for a VII remake, if it's combat system is like that, I don't even know if I could enjoy it or not... <_<

& don't even get me started on Bahamut's design, & that "air-ship" you get to fly around late-game. :facepalm: This is one FF game I'll probably never play again (seriously regret getting the Deluxe Edition, should've put my money into Persona 5's special edition). Actually I enjoyed that Kingsglaive movie more than the game, so at least it wasn't a complete waste of money. :P

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Masamune said:

I've been a FF fan since VII, XV was okay "as a game" (I give it a 7/10 maximum), but as a FF it was probably my least favorite of the series... -_- The main reason being that combat system (it's like a damn hack n' slash), it would've made a better Kingdom Hearts game than FF. As much as I always wished for a VII remake, if it's combat system is like that, I don't even know if I could enjoy it or not... <_<

& don't even get me started on Bahamut's design, & that "air-ship" you get to fly around late-game. :facepalm: This is one FF game I'll probably never play again (seriously regret getting the Deluxe Edition, should've put my money into Persona 5's special edition). Actually I enjoyed that Kingsglaive movie more than the game, so at least it wasn't a complete waste of money. :P

The combat despite going against a lot of tradition was actually the most enjoyable part for me. 

But I agree it's def one of the worst. 

Though for me FFXII takes the cake as worst. 

FFXV desperately needs more in game story. 

And anyone who hasn't seen the movie. Do so. It's a good movie. Best they ever did, and it made FFXV story slightly better! 

9 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Though for me FFXII takes the cake as worst.

And anyone who hasn't seen the movie. Do so. It's a good movie. Best they ever did, and it made FFXV story slightly better! 

Really? I admit XII definitely isn't one of my favorites, but I'd still take that way before XV.

Second best, don't forget about Advent Children. :P I liked Last Order too (subbed anime), but that's just a 25 minute episode.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Masamune said:

Really? I admit XII definitely isn't one of my favorites, but I'd still take that way before XV.

Second best, don't forget about Advent Children. :P I liked Last Order too (subbed anime), but that's just a 25 minute episode.

Yup, much like XV it changed directors(among other staff) mid development. Imo there literally was no story in XII. That was my biggest gripe. 

Nah even advent children doesn't compare :P

I haven't seen the last order! I should look into that!

Anyone who's reading though should know just because it's not the best FF, it is imo a really great game! The only thing I would change is to wait until all the dlcs and updates are out! It's worthy of your time! I poured 70 hours I think into it. 

I'm currently at end game quests, but I'm waiting till all dlcs and updates are out, this way it's a bit more streamlined when I do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

FF3 was released on PC years ago.

That's true, I just don't really like gaming on pc I guess. It still pisses me off that FF Chronicles came with FF4... and Chrono Trigger. :facepalm:

Don't get me wrong, CT and Cc were good fun, but who the hell thought it was a good idea to substitute that and leave one or the core games out? 

I enjoyed it and like everyone said, it's a decent JRPG but a lesser Final Fantasy. I also found it limited and fundamentally flawed at launch. Side quests artificially lengthened the game severely to where I was 30+ levels over the recommended level for almost every story mission. And for a game that talks about freely exploring the world, having no full control over the car for an on-rails experience was a big bummer. It was a good game, but it's weaknesses are all out there to see in plain sight. Sadly this game was a victim of extremely limited and then rushed development between being Final Fantasy Versus XIII and its transformation into Final Fantasy XV.

With the exception of Final Fantasy XIV, there hasn't been a mainline Final Fantasy with a good story since Final Fantasy X if you ask me. FF15 felt like I just watched a 10 episode anime as far as story goes actually. Especially with a particular character that was merely used as a plot device...

Personally, I blame Square's former president, Yoichi Wada. Square had its darkest days under his leadership and I'm glad he's out of the picture.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. I will keep this thread open until the day I ask a mod to close it. I'm glad that there are some who enjoyed FFXV but you guys do have a point about the flaws in the game. It just pissed me off that the comment sections in Gematsu and PlayStation Lifestyle have stuff saying that FFXV was a mistake, but I should't let that bother me.

4 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. I will keep this thread open until the day I ask a mod to close it. I'm glad that there are some who enjoyed FFXV but you guys do have a point about the flaws in the game. It just pissed me off that the comment sections in Gematsu and PlayStation Lifestyle have stuff saying that FFXV was a mistake, but I should't let that bother me.

Nah it's a good thread topic. Article comments are mostly internet hyperbole anyway lol Every game has to be perfect for most people these days.

I really enjoyed it for what it was, and I'm glad it made it out after it spent all those years in development hell. I simply don't care if it follows the same style as some more traditional entries in the series or not. I'm in peace with the fact that most series evolve, change their mechanics and gameplay, even drastically more often than not, to the point one would think that it should be a new IP, but this doesn't matter to me, as long as the game is good at what it does as a game on its own. I just wish there was more story related cutscenes, a more lively world, and some more variety regarding the side quests and hunts because most of them are kinda the same. Finally, I also hope that the original project comes back to life someday, it seemed really interesting and darker than the final result. 

It's not a bad game, but I'm more upset that Square Enix was not 100% straight with us on the state of the game they were delivering. Disappointed.

The craziest thing is that I like XIII more than this one. ?

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1