Worth getting a PS4 PRO?

AJ_Radio

44 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I don't have a PS4 Pro, but i juggled the idea of getting one for a bit.  Personally, I'll probably just let my OG PS4 burn out and pick up a Slim PS4... save the 4K and/or 60fps experience for the inevitable PS5 when that sort of thing is standardized and not just fluff added to only a handful of PS4 games.  All I really want at the moment is something that plays PS4 games and whose cooling fans don't get SO damn loud. xD

EDIT:

PS3 = 720P

PS4 = 1080P

PS5 = 4K

These mid-generation hardware upgrades are messing with the natural order of things!

Yep, exactly as I said. ONLY A HANDFUL OF GAMES. There's an awful lot of indie games (indie games in general really) and even a number of AAA titles that will probably never get a Pro patch.

2018 - 2019 I may be tempted to buy a Pro. But with costs of an Ultra 4K television screen being expensive along with the cost of a new console, makes it NOT worth the effort if only a few games like Horizon Zero Dawn truly benefit from the hardware.

Both Horizon and DOOM (the 2016 game) look pretty damn good on my *vanilla* PS4 already.

I traded my Launch Day 500gb PS4 for a Pro when it launched, they were doing a deal here in the Netherlands to get 150 Euros for your old PS4 if you traded in for a Pro so I did that, because my launch day PS4 had that annoying random disk eject problem, and I had some OS crashes as well. Basically I had the feeling that it was not performing as it should and might at some point die.

I had my Pro before my 4K TV and I have to say the Super Sampling is not worth it, I had Titanfall 2 and while I noticed a difference it's not big enough to justify the Pro imo. Few months later I got my 4K TV and I am very happy with the Pro now. Unlike most people here I think - I have two TVs in my living room because my Wife also games. So I have my old 42 inch 1080p setup with a normal PS4 setup right next to my 55 inch 4k TV. Sometimes I swap my PS4 Pro back to the old TV so my wife can watch TV and my god it is hard to go back, I was playing Skyrim on the Pro in 4k for quite a while and I couldn't go back to the old TV. People say that the difference is not big, but if you try and go back to 1080p you see the difference instantly. 

The long and short of it, is if you have a 4k TV / HDR TV I think it is 100% worth getting a Pro, but it's not worth it if your still on 1080p. If you don't have a PS4 and are thinking about getting one I'd pick the Pro instead of base PS4 if you have a 4k TV or are planning on getting one in the next year or so. 

Edited by tpepper1985

Good question Spaz,

The PS4 Pro is great from a Sony business point of view, however as someone who still plays the older generation of games and has no problem with their presentation, I would say its not worth the upgrade at this time.

I will also controversially add, and this is only from my view point, that it's not worth upgrading to the PlayStation 4 too. This is only my personal view as everything will be cheaper, so then I can cherry pick the games I want without wasting too much money. I did however upgrade to the PlayStation 3 in 2008 as I felt it was worth the time and money. LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2? Followed by GTA IV? Yes, please. ?

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to contribute to the excellent discussion and wish you all the best,

MattedSpam

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

Extra 100?

Did you sell to a store?

What I meant is the slim model is 299.00 and the pro is 399.00. So I just spent the extra 100 to get the pro. I sold my all most broke PS4 for 175 to gamestop for store credit.

9 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

I traded my Launch Day 500gb PS4 for a Pro when it launched, they were doing a deal here in the Netherlands to get 150 Euros for your old PS4 if you traded in for a Pro so I did that, because my launch day PS4 had that annoying random disk eject problem, and I had some OS crashes as well. Basically I had the feeling that it was not performing as it should and might at some point die.

I had my Pro before my 4K TV and I have to say the Super Sampling is not worth it, I had Titanfall 2 and while I noticed a difference it's not big enough to justify the Pro imo. Few months later I got my 4K TV and I am very happy with the Pro now. Unlike most people here I think - I have two TVs in my living room because my Wife also games. So I have my old 42 inch 1080p setup with a normal PS4 setup right next to my 55 inch 4k TV. Sometimes I swap my PS4 Pro back to the old TV so my wife can watch TV and my god it is hard to go back, I was playing Skyrim on the Pro in 4k for quite a while and I couldn't go back to the old TV. People say that the difference is not big, but if you try and go back to 1080p you see the difference instantly. 

The long and short of it, is if you have a 4k TV / HDR TV I think it is 100% worth getting a Pro, but it's not worth it if your still on 1080p. If you don't have a PS4 and are thinking about getting one I'd pick the Pro instead of base PS4 if you have a 4k TV or are planning on getting one in the next year or so. 

Mine has the loud fan issue but a lot of vanilla PS4s are the same way.

If you're mostly going to be playing indie titles, or remasters like Heavy Rain (which you're playing), then it's NOT worth upgrading to a PRO. The costs are just too much if you want the full capabilities. Most 2017 Ultra 4K TV models are going for close to $1000, which I'm not paying that much for a television anyway.

There is a vast majority of people still on the initial PS4, and I don't think the Pro is going to become standardized until late next year or early into 2019.

It's just my opinion though. There may be a slight chance Sony and Microsoft are both going to try to come out with another device or two before we delve into the next console generation. At that point the Pro and the Scorpio will already be out of sync with what the corporate media and the video game industry want as far as their standards go.

8 hours ago, DjBertrand said:

Only if you can afford it.

Too bad I can't afford it.

8 hours ago, MattedSpam said:

Good question Spaz,

The PS4 Pro is great from a Sony business point of view, however as someone who still plays the older generation of games and has no problem with their presentation, I would say its not worth the upgrade at this time.

I will also controversially add, and this is only from my view point, that it's not worth upgrading to the PlayStation 4 too. This is only my personal view as everything will be cheaper, so then I can cherry pick the games I want without wasting too much money. I did however upgrade to the PlayStation 3 in 2008 as I felt it was worth the time and money. LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2? Followed by GTA IV? Yes, please. ?

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to contribute to the excellent discussion and wish you all the best,

MattedSpam

I have a PS3 hooked up right alongside my PS4. In comparison the PS3 is quite old, dated and has rather disappointing graphics. But since there is no way I can pop a PS3 game into the PS4 (which I would absolutely love if it was an option) I have no choice but to play on the Playstation 3.

You can get around this by having a Playstation Now subscription and stream your favorite PS3 titles to your PS4, but I already bought a library of games from years ago. So even that is out of the question since I'd rather not waste money on retail games I bought prior to knowing you could actually stream these same titles on the cloud.

I waited until August 2015 to buy my Playstation 4. I got a good deal out of it as it came with Batman Arkham Knight for well under $400. I suppose in the near future I can trade it in at a Gamestop or a company willing to take in used consoles, in return for credit or cash that I can use to upgrade.

We haven't seen 4K video really take off yet on Youtube which tells me that a lot of people out there are still okay with 1080p. It's no longer the gold standard it was a number of years ago, but it's adequate enough to not look too outdated, as 720p video and games that only render that resolution are looking today.

I will probably never play LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2 or GTA IV because those older games with a lot of online trophies are a royal pain in the ass to try to boost and platinum. As a matter of fact Resistance 2 is no longer an option since the servers closed three years ago. LittleBigPlanet has a reputation for having hacked trophies and GTA IV probably has a lot of glitches and hackers running around. Online games are really only great when they're relatively new or if they're well maintained. Otherwise they become a wasteland.

1 hour ago, snakebit10 said:

What I meant is the slim model is 299.00 and the pro is 399.00. So I just spent the extra 100 to get the pro. I sold my all most broke PS4 for 175 to gamestop for store credit.

Can you still sell the original PS4 to Gamestop for the same credit or is it less now?

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

2018 - 2019 I may be tempted to buy a Pro. But with costs of an Ultra 4K television screen being expensive along with the cost of a new console, makes it NOT worth the effort if only a few games like Horizon Zero Dawn truly benefit from the hardware.

Both Horizon and DOOM (the 2016 game) look pretty damn good on my *vanilla* PS4 already.

Personally I don't see the point in waiting another year or two and then going for the Pro.  At that point the PS5 is probably only another year or two away, and all of your PS4 games are still just as playable on whatever non-Pro PS4 you already have.  Save your money for whatever comes after the Pro, especially if you're already kinda strapped for cash.

Edited by Dreakon13

32 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Personally I don't see the point in waiting another year or two and then going for the Pro.  At that point the PS5 is probably only another year or two away, and all of your PS4 games are still just as playable on whatever non-Pro PS4 you already have.  Save your money for whatever comes after the Pro, especially if you're already kinda strapped for cash.

The Playstation 5 won't likely see a big splash until early-mid 2019 or so. I'm going to assume by then it will be announced, and we will see a 2020 - early 2021 release date.

We have Days Gone, God of War, Spiderman and possibly Detroit Become Human coming out next year. All four of these games that were showcased at E3 2017 in Los Angeles, California last month will utilize the Pro features. All exclusives, and we all know how damn good the Playstation exclusives look.

That's not to mention Middle Earth Shadow of War, Wolfenstein II The New Colossus, Assassins Creed Origins and Far Cry 5 also getting Pro enhanced features. I will most certainly agree that 2017 - 2018 will be a great time to have a Pro, provided you have to money to buy it along with an Ultra 4K TV.

I made this thread to see how people will react to it and what their thoughts are in getting a Pro today, or just waiting until the next console generation. But the way things are going, what will come out in the year 2020 will make the stuff of today look old and outdated.

Just look at inFamous Second Son and Knack. They still look good to an extent but they're nothing compared to Horizon Zero Dawn and upcoming 2017 - 2018 AAA title releases as far as looks go. Launch titles won't look as good no matter how hard people try because the system they were designed for are brand new, and nobody has tapped their full potential into them yet. Assassins Creed Black Flag still looks good especially when I'm sailing around the Caribbean. But I will admit that Black Flag and Far Cry 4 will pale graphics wise to Origins and Far Cry 5.

But by 2018 the Playstation 4 is already five years old. Despite what I've said, people really shouldn't be buying games for the looks alone. You can have the most powerful PC today playing the most graphically impressive Steam title. But if the game doesn't run, or it runs like a piece of shit like how Assassins Creed Unity and Batman Arkham Knight were for Steam computer game players, then it's futile. I always laugh at the PC fanboys who always upgrade to get the absolute best they can out of their system, and when a company like WB releases a shitty, buggy PC port ala Batman Arkham Knight they bitch and complain because it's unplayable.

I don't want companies like Sony, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Microsoft to design games from the ground up specifically for the Pro or Xbox Scorpio, because we have a major problem if they do. Right now my Playstation 4 runs alright, despite a couple rare crashes here and there and the occasional fan whirling when I play certain games. As I said multiple times, I think it's too costly to upgrade when you already have the system in place.

Maybe this is one of those situations where it is best to wait. I more or less agree with that. But with a number of great titles already coming out back in 2014 - 2015 for the system, I couldn't resist waiting longer.

Ultimately whether I buy a Pro or not is up to me. People have said the PSVR also benefits from the Pro. I otherwise see it as a gimmicky device, because you want to immerse yourself into the experience, because it's virtual reality. I decided not to buy one.

Even if the Playstation 5 were to come out earlier than expected, I won't go out and buy it right away because in today's fast paced environment it will have a shitload of updates, and likely won't have too many good titles until a year or two later.

In conclusion I think it's up to personal preference.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Mine has the loud fan issue but a lot of vanilla PS4s are the same way.

If you're mostly going to be playing indie titles, or remasters like Heavy Rain (which you're playing), then it's NOT worth upgrading to a PRO. The costs are just too much if you want the full capabilities. Most 2017 Ultra 4K TV models are going for close to $1000, which I'm not paying that much for a television anyway.

There is a vast majority of people still on the initial PS4, and I don't think the Pro is going to become standardized until late next year or early into 2019.

It's just my opinion though. There may be a slight chance Sony and Microsoft are both going to try to come out with another device or two before we delve into the next console generation. At that point the Pro and the Scorpio will already be out of sync with what the corporate media and the video game industry want as far as their standards go.

Too bad I can't afford it.

I have a PS3 hooked up right alongside my PS4. In comparison the PS3 is quite old, dated and has rather disappointing graphics. But since there is no way I can pop a PS3 game into the PS4 (which I would absolutely love if it was an option) I have no choice but to play on the Playstation 3.

You can get around this by having a Playstation Now subscription and stream your favorite PS3 titles to your PS4, but I already bought a library of games from years ago. So even that is out of the question since I'd rather not waste money on retail games I bought prior to knowing you could actually stream these same titles on the cloud.

I waited until August 2015 to buy my Playstation 4. I got a good deal out of it as it came with Batman Arkham Knight for well under $400. I suppose in the near future I can trade it in at a Gamestop or a company willing to take in used consoles, in return for credit or cash that I can use to upgrade.

We haven't seen 4K video really take off yet on Youtube which tells me that a lot of people out there are still okay with 1080p. It's no longer the gold standard it was a number of years ago, but it's adequate enough to not look too outdated, as 720p video and games that only render that resolution are looking today.

I will probably never play LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2 or GTA IV because those older games with a lot of online trophies are a royal pain in the ass to try to boost and platinum. As a matter of fact Resistance 2 is no longer an option since the servers closed three years ago. LittleBigPlanet has a reputation for having hacked trophies and GTA IV probably has a lot of glitches and hackers running around. Online games are really only great when they're relatively new or if they're well maintained. Otherwise they become a wasteland.

Can you still sell the original PS4 to Gamestop for the same credit or is it less now?

Not sure. This was back in late January. When I called them and asked if they would take it they told me 125.00 on the phone and when I got there it was 175.00. I am guessing 125.oo was going to be the new price they would offer but it hadn't took effect yet.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

We have Days Gone, God of War, Spiderman and possibly Detroit Become Human coming out next year. All four of these games that were showcased at E3 2017 in Los Angeles, California last month will utilize the Pro features. All exclusives, and we all know how damn good the Playstation exclusives look.

That's not to mention Middle Earth Shadow of War, Wolfenstein II The New Colossus, Assassins Creed Origins and Far Cry 5 also getting Pro enhanced features. I will most certainly agree that 2017 - 2018 will be a great time to have a Pro, provided you have to money to buy it along with an Ultra 4K TV.

I made this thread to see how people will react to it and what their thoughts are in getting a Pro today, or just waiting until the next console generation. But the way things are going, what will come out in the year 2020 will make the stuff of today look old and outdated.

There will never be a "great time to have a Pro" IMO.  All of those games you listed will be 100% functional and look great doing it, with or without the Pro.  Sony/Microsoft said these mid-generation upgrades are not intended to become standardized, they don't intend for them to ever outsell their OG or Slim/S models.  They're targeting a niche group of gamers with more disposable income than the norm.  They'll never get Pro-exclusive titles, and Pro-enabled games will never be so drastically improved that it makes the non-Pro versions look outdated... because those games will always be designed primarily for the original PS4, with the Pro getting the exact same game with a bit more surface sheen through bumped up resolutions and some more post-processing.

If you have to scrounge and save and sell stuff to afford a new console, and you aren't 100% gung-ho on the idea in the first place... don't blow your wad on some expensive inconsequential mid-generation upgrade IMO.  The Pro will never be built off of, it'll always just be a complimentary piece to the original PS4.

Edited by Dreakon13

59 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

There will never be a "great time to have a Pro" IMO.  All of those games you listed will be 100% functional and look great doing it, with or without the Pro.  Sony/Microsoft said these mid-generation upgrades are not intended to become standardized, they don't intend for them to ever outsell their OG or Slim/S models.  They're targeting a niche group of gamers with more disposable income than the norm.  They'll never get Pro-exclusive titles, and Pro-enabled games will never be so drastically improved that it makes the non-Pro versions look outdated... because those games will always be designed primarily for the original PS4, with the Pro getting the exact same game with a bit more surface sheen through bumped up resolutions and some more post-processing.

If you have to scrounge and save and sell stuff to afford a new console, and you aren't 100% gung-ho on the idea in the first place... don't blow your wad on some expensive inconsequential mid-generation upgrade IMO.  The Pro will never be built off of, it'll always just be a complimentary piece to the original PS4.

The way you see fit the Pro is pretty much a "gimmick". Which is fine, but I'm not going against those who wish to "upgrade" to get higher frames per second and smoother gameplay in their games.

Realistically the Slim will more than easily outsell the Pro. It's everything the vanilla PS4 is, only smaller and with a better WiFi chip.  I had no problems waiting several years to get my PS3 which was the Slim model and not the 2006 original.

I should of reworded my dialogue of words in the previous response.

They're targeting a niche group of gamers just like how certain computer manufacturers target a small audience who seek to build their custom desktop PC using the best components. They want the best of the best, and usually these are the types of people who are better off than most because buying those custom parts for their PCs is not cheap.

We don't see eye to eye on this, and I suppose that's alright.

Edited by Spaz

43 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The way you see fit the Pro is pretty much a "gimmick". Which is fine, but I'm not going against those who wish to "upgrade" to get higher frames per second and smoother gameplay in their games.

Realistically the Slim will more than easily outsell the Pro. It's everything the vanilla PS4 is, only smaller and with a better WiFi chip.  I had no problems waiting several years to get my PS3 which was the Slim model and not the 2006 original.

I should of reworded my dialogue of words in the previous response.

They're targeting a niche group of gamers just like how certain computer manufacturers target a small audience who seek to build their custom desktop PC using the best components. They want the best of the best, and usually these are the types of people who are better off than most because buying those custom parts for their PCs is not cheap.

We don't see eye to eye on this, and I suppose that's alright.

Going from the PS2 to the PS3 opened the door to a lot of games you never had access to, and a significantly higher grade of game because "next gen" exclusives had a better hardware to work off of.  Getting significantly better PC hardware opens the door to a lot of games that worse PC hardware may never have been able to run.

Upgrading to the Pro from a PS4 isn't the same level of impact.  The Pro will never have an exclusive game you couldn't play on a normal PS4, and its Pro-enabled features will only marginally improve games that by-and-large already look good and run well.

I don't really mean to knock it, people value the graphical and framerate improvements.  More power to them.  But I feel like you're misrepresenting its significance a bit.  It's not a new generation of console.  It's not the difference between a low-spec and high-spec PC.

Edited by Dreakon13

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Going from the PS2 to the PS3 opened the door to a lot of games you never had access to, and a significantly higher grade of game because "next gen" exclusives had a better base to work off of.  Getting significantly better PC hardware opens the door to a lot of games that worse PC hardware may never have been able to run.

Upgrading to the Pro from a PS4 isn't the same level of impact.  The Pro will never have an exclusive game you couldn't play on a normal PS4, and its Pro-enabled features will only marginally improve games that by-and-large already look good and run well.

I don't really mean to knock it, people value the graphical and framerate improvements.  More power to them.  But I feel like you're misrepresenting its significance a bit.  It's not a new generation of console.  It's not the difference between a low-spec and high-spec PC.

Yes it is.  It is, for all intents and purposes, an upgraded console.  It has the ability to run games at a higher resolution and better FPS.  Whether the developer of any said games takes advantage of that is of another story.  The fact is, however, that the Pro is a "high-spec PC vs. a Vanilla PS4, low-spec PC".  The PS4 Pro is a better console capable of doing things the vanilla PS4 simply cannot.  

47 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Yes it is.  It is, for all intents and purposes, an upgraded console.  It has the ability to run games at a higher resolution and better FPS.  Whether the developer of any said games takes advantage of that is of another story.  The fact is, however, that the Pro is a "high-spec PC vs. a Vanilla PS4, low-spec PC".  The PS4 Pro is a better console capable of doing things the vanilla PS4 simply cannot.  

You're playing the exact same games though, high spec PC's come with the benefit of playing games that low spec PC's can't even boot up.  Much like the PS2 vs PS3.  These games are literally built for the PS4, always will be, and just fluffed up a bit for the Pro.

As such the improvements between the PS4 and PS4 Pro are pretty inconsequential.  More like mid-spec PC vs. budget high-spec PC.

Edited by Dreakon13

9 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

You're playing the exact same games though, high spec PC's come with the benefit of playing games that low spec PC's can't even boot up.

And the improvement is pretty inconsequential.  More like mid-spec PC vs. budget high-spec PC.

You are right, you are playing the same game.  The difference, however, is whether or not you want to play that game with a higher resolution and better FPS.  I'm not arguing that the Pro is necessary for any sort of enjoyment out of any game.  What I am saying, is, if you want to play a game on PS4 at the best quality there is, you have to play it on a Pro.  

The PS4 Pro is not for everyone.  It is for the people that want the best quality games/image as they can get.  

Gaming, as of now, is my number one hobby.  If eating steak was my number one hobby I would buy the best steak I could get and have it prepared by the best chef I could afford.  Sure, I could have the same steak prepared by my brother Jason, and it might taste just fine, but I would rather, being a steak aficionado, have it prepared by the best chef there is.  

That's just me though.  I have a Pro, I have PSVR, and I have a 4k TV.  I want to enjoy my hobby as best as I can.  The Pro, as it stands, is the best way to do that.  

As far as the improvements being inconsequential, well, that's a personal feeling and ultimately up to the consumer to judge.  

Same game, sure.

Same experience, not so much.  

If you have/plan on getting a 4k TV or plan on getting the VR, you should consider getting it. I bought mine for the VR reason since I'd rather have a bit more of a powerful system for it. Plus I need to eventually get a new tv.

Playing games in 4K though look phenomenal. (ex. FF15)

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

As someone who upgraded from PS4 and maybe a 6-year-old TV to Pro and a 4K TV, I find this all 100% accurate.

Certain AAA games that take full advantage of all the power are gorgeous. But loads of smaller, indie games are almost unchanged. Don't get a Pro if it means not getting games you would otherwise have played. I had an unexpected windfall and decided to splurge on something fun, and that is the best mindset to go in with. I don't feel cheated, but the importance of having a Pro, even with a good 4K TV, is far below the importance of having money to buy good games.

27 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

As far as the improvements being inconsequential, well, that's a personal feeling and ultimately up to the consumer to judge.  

Same game, sure.

Same experience, not so much.  

Fair enough, to each their own.  It's the better way to play, it's the best way to play (as far as PS4 is concerned)... how much better that really is though, is certainly debatable.  I don't think the comparisons to console generations or drastic differences in PC hardware are apt.  Or like some cheap grizzled steak vs filet mignon.  It's more like 6oz filet mignon vs 8oz filet mignon. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

You make it sound like the PS3 is miles behind in terms of presentation. This is simply not the case. Going from PS2 to PS3 was a major jump in terms of presentation and so I made the decision to upgrade. I can't say the same thing about the PS4. The price of the PS4 is ridiculous for what you're paying for.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

I agree with this. Although, downloading the games on a PS3 console is always better than streaming. You might as well wait for a remaster as that's all the PS4 has to offer at this time.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Me personally, that's a bad deal. However, money is always different from one individual to another and therefore its neither good or bad.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

As someone who still plays the early PlayStation era of consoles, I have no problem with this. If the game is good, then 720p will do just fine.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

That's a shame, you're missing out by not playing these games due to trophies. The first LittleBigPlanet is the only one I have played in the series and can safely say that it does not have hacked trophies. As for GTA IV, I feel everyone who has played GTA V should play GTA IV. It's one of the best and still beats GTA V today in terms of realism ad fun to this day.

This is all about a matter of opinions and I thank you for getting back to me.

MattedSpam

Edited by MattedSpam

On 7/6/2017 at 9:11 PM, speedydmp said:

Look, Sell your current PS4 and buy the Pro.

I sold my old PS4 on ebay with the controller and the accessories and a game i didn't want anymore for 250$ after buying the Pro for $400. Total upgrade price of $150. that 150 bucks was definitely worth it for me since it included:

• a terabyte hard drive upgrade,
  • a newer controller (mine was wearing down),
  • faster OS stuff (start up and menu navigation),
  • a quieter box,
  • the 1080p visual upgrades,
  • better VR capabilities for when i do get a PSVR
  • and future proofing for when i do get a 4KTV. 

It was absolutely worth it

Let's not all forget the Pro also sports all this and faster Download/Upload speeds due to its added 5Ghz wifi capability vs a standard PS4 with 2Ghz. There IS a visual significant increase in speeds if that is something you value such as myself. I've bought and upgraded my HDD to 2TB (I own alot of digital games) and the faster DL speeds are a godsend... unless you're wired, then don't worry about what I said ^_^ 

Also, I do own a 4K TV with this... and I admit 1080p looks gross compared to it IMO. Really don't want to go back down. If not now, getting the Pro will be worth it later this year or the next one.

I personally don't even care much about the visual improvements on PS4 Pro (I don't own a 4K TV either). I'm content with the resolution of Nintendo 3DS which is my most used console. I just wanted the performance benefits that come with the souped-up model.

Not a PS4 Pro owner, but for me... not worth it. However, I don't think I'm really the target audience anyway?

Even if I could afford it I wouldn't think it was worth it - I rarely play graphics/spec-heavy AAA games and am not sure I'd notice much of a change anyway (I'm the kind of person who won't notice right away if a PS4 game has "PS3-level graphics" unless someone points it out, though I mostly play more stylized/cartoony games which tend to age better in terms of visuals anyway), I don't own a 4K TV and have no plans to get one any time soon and also have little interest in PSVR. And when I can just play all the games on my regular PS4 anyway, well... Only thing I'd appreciate would be faster load times and quieter console (my PS4 hasn't been that noisy from what I remember though) and just that wouldn't be worth the price difference... so even if getting a PS4 today I'd just go with the cheaper regular PS4. (Plus as a primarily console gamer who's never been a fan of the "spec rush" I can't say I appreciate this "half-upgrade for better specs" console trend)

Edited by Zanreo

The best way I can describe the PS4 Pro, is "if the Pro-enabled game looks amazing... the basic PS4 version does too."

If the PS4 game looks like crap, the PS4 Pro won't save it.  A PS4 game with "PS3-level graphics" isn't suddenly going to look like it was made in 2017 because it's Pro-enabled.  It's the same darn game, same crappy animations, same blocky models, etc... with fewer jaggies. xD  Slap a higher grade of ambient occlusion on there, beef up the particle effects, run at a steady 30fps instead of dipping to 25fps and call it a day.

EDIT: The only real benefit IMO are the games that offer a stable 60fps option.  I don't mean the "uncapped framerate so now it can spike up to 40fps sometimes" option, but a legit 60fps mode.  That's a night and day difference worthy of the price tag.  I think that's few and far between though in games capable of it.

My dream setup would be the PS5 powerful enough to force/allow developers to achieve 4K and 60fps in all of their games.  Sounds like a pipedream now, but who knows where technology will be in 2020 when we're talking about what's coming next.

Edited by Dreakon13

Long response here, but looking forward to hearing what you have to say towards my post.

19 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Going from the PS2 to the PS3 opened the door to a lot of games you never had access to, and a significantly higher grade of game because "next gen" exclusives had a better hardware to work off of.  Getting significantly better PC hardware opens the door to a lot of games that worse PC hardware may never have been able to run.

True.

I quit going the PC route because it was just getting to be too expensive. Admittedly The Witcher 3 definitely looks better on the PC, provided you have the hardware to get the best looking graphics the game allows. But since I'm on a budget, the PS4 is just fine for that.

Plus I prefer trophies anyday over Steam achievements, which are lame and boring in my opinion.

It most certainly isn't a new generation of consoles. But you can compare it to first class seats and coach seats on the airplane. Same airplane, same flight attendants, just more comfortable seats if you have more disposable income.

18 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

If you have/plan on getting a 4k TV or plan on getting the VR, you should consider getting it. I bought mine for the VR reason since I'd rather have a bit more of a powerful system for it. Plus I need to eventually get a new tv.

Playing games in 4K though look phenomenal. (ex. FF15)

Maybe and eventually.

I will say that you need a pretty solid internet connection if you play to stream or play games online in 4K quality. 4K sucks up a ton of bandwidth compared to just 720P or 1080P.

18 hours ago, rdhight said:

As someone who upgraded from PS4 and maybe a 6-year-old TV to Pro and a 4K TV, I find this all 100% accurate.

Certain AAA games that take full advantage of all the power are gorgeous. But loads of smaller, indie games are almost unchanged. Don't get a Pro if it means not getting games you would otherwise have played. I had an unexpected windfall and decided to splurge on something fun, and that is the best mindset to go in with. I don't feel cheated, but the importance of having a Pro, even with a good 4K TV, is far below the importance of having money to buy good games.

I play a mixture of old/newer PS3 titles, PS4 titles and the occasional Vita game. In short I pretty much play a giant variety of games on multiple systes.

Obviously Horizon Zero Dawn and the upcoming Frozen Wilds expansion will both take full advantage of the Pro. But a title like Hotline Miami or Super Meat Boy most certainly won't.

I'm basically on the fence about getting a Pro or just sticking with my current setup. But just remember that gameplay always comes first. If you have Pro enhanced games but don't particularly enjoy them for what they offer, then you're just wasting your money.

Also you're not far from where I live.

16 hours ago, MattedSpam said:

You make it sound like the PS3 is miles behind in terms of presentation. This is simply not the case. Going from PS2 to PS3 was a major jump in terms of presentation and so I made the decision to upgrade. I can't say the same thing about the PS4. The price of the PS4 is ridiculous for what you're paying for.

This is debatable.

I will agree that the Playstation 3 was a significant leap from the Playstation 2. GTA IV was big and vast for what it offered when it was released, compared to the earlier GTA titles on the PS2 which were much more limited in scope and variety.

Personally I think video games in the past 10 years haven't been all too innovative in their approach compared to past generations. The 1980s, 1990s and the early - mid 2000s all saw monumental jumps forward in how video games were being presented, new engines paved the way for classics like Half Life, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Baldurs Gate. We were getting entirely different, innovative games every couple years or so, it was a great time to be a gamer.

In my opinion the Playstation 4 is enhancing the ideas and thoughts that were already put in place in the past console generation. The Pro only enhances these things further. It's not a giant leap as some people may otherwise state. There's already a bit more flavor to the already delicious meal.

I agree with this. Although, downloading the games on a PS3 console is always better than streaming. You might as well wait for a remaster as that's all the PS4 has to offer at this time.

I will take remasters. Unfortunately many games haven't gotten a remaster so I'm basically having to play them on the PS3 console.

Playstation Now is nice, but a lot of titles haven't made their way onto the service yet.

Me personally, that's a bad deal. However, money is always different from one individual to another and therefore its neither good or bad.

I'm pretty sure someone out there will give credit or money of some sort if you trade in your console. It may not be much but it's better than nothing.

As someone who still plays the early PlayStation era of consoles, I have no problem with this. If the game is good, then 720p will do just fine.

I'm the same way. Graphics aren't everything.

That's a shame, you're missing out by not playing these games due to trophies. The first LittleBigPlanet is the only one I have played in the series and can safely say that it does not have hacked trophies. As for GTA IV, I feel everyone who has played GTA V should play GTA IV. It's one of the best and still beats GTA V today in terms of realism ad fun to this day.

I have more than plenty of games that will probably take me an entire year or so to get through. So I'm not too concerned if I miss out on a few titles.

I actually meant LittleBigPlanet 2, as I heard that causes problems for people who look to platinum that game.

I don't enjoy online trophies, and GTA IV happens to be a game that requires a lot of boosting. I'm working towards 90 percent completion, and GTA IV will sort of set me back a little. I'm a bit OCD and it annoys me to see trophy lists full of uncompleted games.

14 hours ago, Benca27 said:

Let's not all forget the Pro also sports all this and faster Download/Upload speeds due to its added 5Ghz wifi capability vs a standard PS4 with 2Ghz. There IS a visual significant increase in speeds if that is something you value such as myself. I've bought and upgraded my HDD to 2TB (I own alot of digital games) and the faster DL speeds are a godsend... unless you're wired, then don't worry about what I said ^_^ 

Also, I do own a 4K TV with this... and I admit 1080p looks gross compared to it IMO. Really don't want to go back down. If not now, getting the Pro will be worth it later this year or the next one.

The Slim also has faster speeds. I think both the Slim and Pro have a more quiet engine. That's one of the issues I have with the vanilla PS4, it runs like a jet plane at times when certain games are being played.

I generally just go with wired speeds if I'm doing any online gaming or if I need to download games/updates onto my console. The difference is night and day with the vanilla PS4, Sony did a shitty job getting decent WiFI into their product.

All depends how well my job goes for me. I'm a temporary and I could be laid off at any time. I can have a lot of work at once, or I may barely have any work at all. That will all determine how much income I have, and if I'm willing to spend $500 - 1000 on a 4K TV, plus another $300 - 350 for the Pro.

13 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I personally don't even care much about the visual improvements on PS4 Pro (I don't own a 4K TV either). I'm content with the resolution of Nintendo 3DS which is my most used console. I just wanted the performance benefits that come with the souped-up model.

Graphics aren't everything. But it's great for the people who want better graphics for the games they play.

Personally I'm more concerned whether or not the games are already good, and if I want to see higher framerates and/or 4K quality in the games I play.

9 hours ago, Zanreo said:

Not a PS4 Pro owner, but for me... not worth it. However, I don't think I'm really the target audience anyway?

Even if I could afford it I wouldn't think it was worth it - I rarely play graphics/spec-heavy AAA games and am not sure I'd notice much of a change anyway (I'm the kind of person who won't notice right away if a PS4 game has "PS3-level graphics" unless someone points it out, though I mostly play more stylized/cartoony games which tend to age better in terms of visuals anyway), I don't own a 4K TV and have no plans to get one any time soon and also have little interest in PSVR. And when I can just play all the games on my regular PS4 anyway, well... Only thing I'd appreciate would be faster load times and quieter console (my PS4 hasn't been that noisy from what I remember though) and just that wouldn't be worth the price difference... so even if getting a PS4 today I'd just go with the cheaper regular PS4. (Plus as a primarily console gamer who's never been a fan of the "spec rush" I can't say I appreciate this "half-upgrade for better specs" console trend)

I'm not the target audience either.

I will admit that many PS1 titles haven't aged well in terms of graphics. The color palette and the overall blocky models especially in the original Crash Bandicoot games look just awful. However some of the Megaman titles and the Street Fighter games look pretty good on the PS1, because they were more stylized/cartoony. I wish more games had that style of graphics instead of trying to copy Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot.

I'm not too excited about a Pro and a 4K TV. You're paying hundreds of dollars for Pro enhanced games that can already be played on the regular PS4. And there is the Slim which is exactly the same as the original apart from the smaller frame and 5 GHZ WiFI. I also plan to play a lot of indie titles which aren't going to benefit from the Pro.

8 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

The best way I can describe the PS4 Pro, is "if the Pro-enabled game looks amazing... the basic PS4 version does too."

If the PS4 game looks like crap, the PS4 Pro won't save it.  A PS4 game with "PS3-level graphics" isn't suddenly going to look like it was made in 2017 because it's Pro-enabled.  It's the same darn game, same crappy animations, same blocky models, etc... with fewer jaggies. xD  Slap a higher grade of ambient occlusion on there, beef up the particle effects, run at a steady 30fps instead of dipping to 25fps and call it a day.

EDIT: The only real benefit IMO are the games that offer a stable 60fps option.  I don't mean the "uncapped framerate so now it can spike up to 40fps sometimes" option, but a legit 60fps mode.  That's a night and day difference worthy of the price tag.  I think that's few and far between though in games capable of it.

My dream setup would be the PS5 powerful enough to force/allow developers to achieve 4K and 60fps in all of their games.  Sounds like a pipedream now, but who knows where technology will be in 2020 when we're talking about what's coming next.

Horizon Zero Dawn is the perfect example of this. It looks amazing on the vanilla PS4, I did a test run and it looks phenomenal.

The Youtube playthroughs I've seen only go up to 1080p, and it already looked breathtaking enough.

The Pro may already have Batman Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 at 60 FPS. Both games only play on 30 FPS on my system, whereas their PC counterparts have graphical options and solid 60 FPS. That may be worth the price tag of the Pro, but I haven't done any research of this so I don't know really.

It will happen eventually. Just a matter of time.