Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

14 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #401 - Unpacking

Did you ever feel like you were in a simulation yourself, playing a videogame about unpacking while you are unpacking in a new house? 😂

I hadn't realized that the game has you pick a name without indicating your character's gender, I can only imagine the initial confusion when you were unpacking what I seem to recall was like twenty pairs of underwear. 😂 You did a great job discussing the game's overall storytelling!

A lot of people have been playing the game recently for the Fight Cancer! event, and coupled with your review it's making me want to revisit the game soon. As someone who has already replayed many levels of PowerWash Simulator after earning its platinum, I'm definitely part of this game's target demographic, haha.

14 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

My second caveat is that you really need to take your time with this one. I had to keep telling myself this wasn't a speedrun. Not only does that defeat the purpose of the game, but it makes it hard to appreciate the story it's trying to tell through visuals and sounds. This is the kind of game you should probably save for some cold, rainy, or snowy weekend in the coming months. If you live where I do, that's like half the year. You have the time. You just have to make it.

I absolutely agree with this game being best played on a relaxing day when one is in a chill mood!

• Like 1

I know I shouldn't bring this up, Cass, but if you like old games, there is a site that plants achievements on them. It's called RetorAchievements and, while you do have to emulate the games, it supports all retro game emulators up to PS2, Nintendo GameCube and XBOX. I think it's a cool way to make my favorite old games like Dragon Quest Monsters and Pokemon have some goals to them. ^_^

You have to create an account on their site and download their launcher onto your computer, but it's great fun. I plan on doing the Dragon Warrior Monsters games for the GameBoy Color to celebrate the coming of the new Dragon Quest Monsters game coming to Nintendo Switch just before my birthday on December 6. :)

On 10/28/2023 at 8:24 PM, Cassylvania said:

This game is a spin-off (holiday special?) of the ultra-popular Gal*Gun series, which I know absolutely nothing about. A quick Google search tells me I should probably keep it that way.

Yeah, I played it on my Vita a long time ago fishing for an easy platinum and... well.... if you're one of THOSE men, I say you'll enjoy it.  I wasn't so I ditched it ASAP. And I had once platinumed Criminal Girls 1. Don't judge me, I'm a dude turned OFF by naked girls in sexual poses.😛

On 11/1/2023 at 12:21 PM, Cassylvania said:

That's not a 404 error you see! Despite saying I was going to hold off, I actually did finish this game...but a couple hours after October was over. Not sure if that counts.

Don't sweat the small stuff, you can waive those few hours on real life issues and the Trophy Police will let you off the hook. 😆

Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be cake for you, and then you can save the wheel until 2024. :)

On 11/5/2023 at 6:17 PM, ProfSeajay7 said:

I know I shouldn't bring this up, Cass, but if you like old games, there is a site that plants achievements on them. It's called RetorAchievements and, while you do have to emulate the games, it supports all retro game emulators up to PS2, Nintendo GameCube and XBOX. I think it's a cool way to make my favorite old games like Dragon Quest Monsters and Pokemon have some goals to them. ^_^

Interesting. I do think it'd be nice to play through some of those games with some actual recognition attached to them instead of self-imposed challenges. (Better yet, I'd just like to see a Pokemon-esque game on PS4/PS5 that isn't Nexomon. That sequel really annoyed me.) Fire Emblem too... In fact, I'd argue I'd rather see an FE or FE-like franchise succeed on PS more than anything. Given how successful RPGs are on the console, I'm confused why more of these don't exist.

Anyway, I know we're still a few weeks from my GOTY awards, but I've been thinking: how would you guys like me to conduct those this year? It'll be year five (technically) of doing it. I just put together a spreadsheet to look over the past winners/losers. We had some categories in 2019 that I never brought back, but Dragon Quest XI and King's Quest took home most of the gold. I didn't even bother hosting the awards in 2020 because Persona 5 would've won everything of importance. That's why I had to ban Genshin Impact from participating in 2022. I feel like 2021 was the best representation of a wide variety of games. The problem is, looking over my list this year, I feel we're in for another 2020/2022... So, instead of me doing categories, how would you guys feel if I ranked every game I played this year from best to worst? I could take into consideration every aspect of each game. If that's too much, I could create a tier list instead. This is just a bit of an odd year, where I feel there's not going to be a lot of surprises if I just start talking about graphics and soundtracks I liked. I'm honestly not even sure how I can compare some of those.

I'm open for other suggestions, if anybody has any. Any game I platinum by the end of the month is eligible for the ceremony.

(EDIT: By the way, the reason I bring this up now is I just finished playing through the DLC of last year's GOTY winner -- Cult of the Lamb -- and it made me think of it. Props to the devs of that game for making the DLC actually fun. Oh, and free.)

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Better yet, I'd just like to see a Pokemon-esque game on PS4/PS5 that isn't Nexomon.

Whatcha? I liked the Nexomon titles and plan to work them in later, maybe early 2024. Their battle music was cool and it broke from the Pokemonesque gym challenge formula by introducing some interesting concepts and character. (I really think Meridia was hilarious, planning to kill you after you beat her in a volleyball match. LOLZ.)

Still, that's my experience, so I won't judge yours. I am one of the few people who don't diss on Game Freak for not delaying Pokemon Violet and Scarlet to 2024 to fix the terrible framerate issues and random graphic glitches. When you create a game as advanced as that, you have to expect some weaknesses. ;)

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

So, instead of me doing categories, how would you guys feel if I ranked every game I played this year from best to worst?

Fine by me. Make a tier list of your games, everyone seems to be doing that. ;)

• Like 1

I found the constant 4th-wall-breaking nature of Nexomon: Extinction to be a bit overdone - doesn't mesh well with my sense of humor. Didn't play the original Nexomon though, so I can't speak to that.

I'm down to read your GOTY "Awards" however you write them. If you make a tier list of each game's "rank/score", you could also do some special tier lists - for example, of the (x) number of games that you played this year, a tier list of the 5 or 10 games with the best graphics, a tier list of the 5 or 10 games with best soundtracks, etc. That would allow you to highlight certain award categories without having the same game "win" most of the award categories. 

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

I'm down to read your GOTY "Awards" however you write them. If you make a tier list of each game's "rank/score", you could also do some special tier lists - for example, of the (x) number of games that you played this year, a tier list of the 5 or 10 games with the best graphics, a tier list of the 5 or 10 games with best soundtracks, etc. That would allow you to highlight certain award categories without having the same game "win" most of the award categories. 

Could do something like that. Otherwise, you guys are just going to hear me talk about a total of three games the entire time (assuming nothing I play this month registers on my list). I did kinda like how I spent the time last year going through every single game I played for some of the awards, when I was debating which ones had the best graphics, best story, etc. We're already up to 53 eligible games for this year, though...

Also, I like how one day after I get Cult of the Lamb back to 100% (after not touching it for over a year), Tales of Arise comes out of nowhere and takes a massive DLC dump all over me. These games just don't want to stay dead.

(I also finished one of Cities: Skylines' new DLCs, but, naturally, there's another one. Another VERY OVERPRICED one.)

(Oh, and Genshin just dropped some more DLC on me. Thanks for that. Still haven't finished the last two. Nearing 1300 hours in that game, by the way.)

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2023 at 11:04 PM, Cassylvania said:

Also, I like how one day after I get Cult of the Lamb back to 100% (after not touching it for over a year), Tales of Arise comes out of nowhere and takes a massive DLC dump all over me. These games just don't want to stay dead.

Been seeing this a bunch lately and the DLC is just as expensive as the current base game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Second update! If everybody is cool with it, I'm thinking of discontinuing the wheel at the end of the year... meaning only one more month of a random game. I have a couple reasons for this. The first is the obvious one, that I just don't have the time. The second is something I'll talk about more during my awards ceremony. The fact that Sony upped the price of PS+ as significantly as they did, though... I'm not sure even I could justify that purchase. Realistically, my backlog is so big at this point that I could not pay for any tier of PS+ or even buy a single game for the next FIVE YEARS and still have enough things to do to keep me occupied. That said, I still plan to keep playing games on PS+, for as long as I have the subscription active. I may even play several of the games that were recommended. But... I've been thinking it over and I really want to make a different commitment to 2024. I want to start making a dent in my backlog. The thing I tried to do in 2022 and tried unsuccessfully to do in 2023 too. More on that when we get to the awards...

This is your cabinet thread and your free time. While it certainly would have been amusing to read how The Wheel™ continued to fare for you, I totally get that it just isn't working out right now. Plus, we'll get to read more reviews about games (good and bad) that interested you enough to acquire them, which is still an absolute win in my book. 😉

Yo, the backlog pain is real. I've been thinking recently about how I've been focusing a lot on <30h games this year, to the detriment of the longer games in my backlog. Honestly, I was thinking of taking a spin on your wheel idea as a way for me to perhaps tackle one longer game each month next year. (Or at least most months?)

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Which leads me to my third update. As I said, there's no point in doing the traditional ceremony. It would just me in an echo chamber talking about one or two games the entire time. It's Persona 5 and Genshin Impact all over again. So, instead, I've decided to do a full ranking. That's right -- I'll rank every game I completed this year. I'll probably start by putting them into tiers, but I'll keep the games in those tiers a secret, and then every few days in December I'll reveal three or four games. We'll make it a countdown, though, so I'll start from the worst game I played this year and we'll work our way to the best. I think that'll be kinda fun because I'll still have to consider all the usual aspects of what makes a game good or bad, but it'll give every game on my list a chance to shine. I'm still working on that project I promised you guys from 2021, and I feel bad that some games never got any recognition during my awards ceremony. The one that always comes to my mind is Night in the Woods. I don't even think I gave that game a flattering review. But... I have to admit. That game has stuck with me more than a lot of other games I played in 2021. You guys ever have that? A game you've come to appreciate more over time? (Not something you've always liked. Something you thought was decent, but you later realize it was much better than you gave it credit for.)

Oooooh, like an advent calendar - a surprise every few days! 🤩

I'm sure I've had games I've come to appreciate more than I initially gave them credit for, though I'm currently sleep-deprived and can't think of any examples. The other 'category' of game I find interesting is one where you finish a game, and then to your surprise, you're still thinking about it several weeks later - even if just occasionally. 

• Like 3

On 11/19/2023 at 12:24 AM, Cassylvania said:

Second update! If everybody is cool with it, I'm thinking of discontinuing the wheel at the end of the year... meaning only one more month of a random game.

But we'll never see the Trial of the Lizard!!! :o

Okay, please don't murder me. I was joking. :lol:

I'm cool with it. I think having five random PS+ titles platted is fine because you got some of the backlog slaughtered. At least I was glad to see some fanfiction about one of my favorite games, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Speaking of the devil, I will probably try to get that as one of my 150 games to platinum on Dawntrail's release in Summer 2024. I have a list. ;) (Yeah, sorry but not sorry. I am just gonna cut it down to 1/3 because 150 in seven months will be impossible since I intend to target GOOD titles which take 40 or so hours to get through, not shovelware.)

Also, if you want to see characters drawn by the guy who made your Dragonball game, play any of the Dragon QUEST games, Akira Toriyama, father of Goku, made all of the concept art for the characters in that series. And yes, I think the Dragonlord would fit in with the likes of Freiza. ^_^

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I only played two of the games on the list - 13 Sentinels and Detroit (I really enjoyed both games for their story). Our game tastets differ so much we could be two different persons.

Crazy, huh?

To be fair, I feel the games I've played this year aren't really representative of my gaming interests as a whole. I have so many games that just sit in my backlog, unplayed, while I impulsively buy some random game I've never heard of that just so happened to go on sale and then wonder why I'm not having fun. Like, why haven't I touched Elden Ring all year? I felt going into 2023 that it was easily going to compete for my GOTY, and yet I chose to play all of these games over it. That's ultimately why I feel the need to step back and reevaluate my life choices.

I'd also like to point out that I've probably put another 500 hours into Genshin this year, so, once again, that list is a little misleading. It might be interesting to see the total breakdown when Sony releases their end-of-the-year recap. I suspect only about three or four games make up about 75% of my playtime.

• Like 4