Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

On 12/11/2023 at 9:07 AM, Cassylvania said:

(Stop making mobile games.)

The day that people stop making mobile games is the day when we all go back to normal dial-up phones. :lol:

Also glad to see that my recommendation might make top 10. The fact that I got the platinum for that game three times and maybe a fourth incoming shows that this game would be a disgrace to its series if it didn't get your approval. ;)

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I feel like you should either commit to have voice acting or not.

Well, good thing you don't play MMOs. (Yes, I am pointing at YOU, Final Fantasy XIV. Wizard101 had full voice acting for every bit of dialogue, and it was also an MMO... of course, it was an MMO that is preyed on you with lootboxes and cash shops and forced you to sub to do anything past Route 1, but hey, it was worth it. I'm just kidding to you, FFXIV. Don't ever change. 😜)

21 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

The 5th Annual Game of the Year Awards (2023)

#12-10

Firstly, I love how you've tackled your 2023 Game of the Year Awards (despite still being in progress)! I was worried that ranking each of the games would be a mammoth undertaking for you - and it's certainly a time investment, I don't want to downplay that - but I think it's really smart how you've broken it apart into ranking and posting 3 games at a time. Plus, it's like an unofficial little "advent calendar" for us readers, getting it broken down into shorter, almost daily posts!

#11 - Yoku's Island Express

Yes, this game was such a delight! I only bothered purchasing the game (for hella on sale, yup) because I was looking for something to fit the Pinball Genre for the Plat Every Genre/Theme Challenge, and since a lot of people had used this game for the category I figured "at least it wasn't shovelware or completely terrible". Then I discovered the genius idea of mixing metroidvania and pinball mechanics together! I definitely agree that they should have done a bit more with the pinball mechanics, but I also hope that this game crawled/walked so that eventually we can get a spiritual successor that flies. 

Lmao at the shade to the lower-ranking games on the list! Though it also goes to show that any premise can be executed well, even one where you play as a dung beetle and his ball of shit. 

#10 - A Short Hike

Basically, just take what I said about Yoku, turn him into a bird instead of a dung beetle, replace pinball with short bursts of flight, and you have yourself A Short Hike. Just a really fun and really relaxing game. It is been a long journey since we discussed Time at Frog Island, way back there in the D tier, but this game does that concept so, so, so much better. I don't know if it's because of the pixelated graphics or the chipper music, but you owe it to yourself to play this game. You could be the most hardcore gamer or an elderly grandmother who's never even touched a video game controller and I think you could walk away from this feeling good.

I'm trying not to re-review these games. I already did that. I mostly just want to discuss what stood out the most to me. And I've been thinking, every since we finished D tier, about WHY this game beats the living snot out of Frog Island. There are fetch quests here. It's not procedurally generated or anything. You're stuck on an island with a bunch of anthropomorphic creatures. The graphics aren't THAT different. I'm even listening to Frog Island soundtrack right now and I feel it could work in A Short Hike. Maybe somebody more articulate than me can explain it, but sometimes I think it just comes down to a game's premise. In Frog Island, you crashed your ship and now you're stranded. That's not cool. That's not supposed to make you feel happy. You're a prisoner! Compare that to the plot of A Short Hike. You need to reach the top of the mountain because...you need cell phone reception. Not to call for help. Just to make a simple phone call. THAT is the difference between a survival game and a cozy game. And while there's obviously a lot more to both games than just the opening premise, I think A Short Hike simply does a much better job of knowing what it's supposed to be and designing the rest of the game around that. It wasn't just because of the plot that I wanted to escape Frog Island and get lost in this one. Some games just do it better.

Wow. Hard to believe we're in the top 10. I almost convinced myself to put those last two games higher, but I think I can make an argument that the remaining games are just a little better. Until next time!

A Short Hike was such a fun and cozy experience. It's incredible that I completed this game in *July*, in just over 4 hours, and I still remember so much of it! Not only did the game know exactly what it was supposed to be, and how to turn that into a fun gameplay experience, but it also managed to not overstay its welcome. The (single!) developer could have easily added in more side quests to add a few extra hours to the game - in an era when many gamers hold the mindset of "longer game = better game" - but instead did exactly what he needed to reach his vision and then stopped there. 

I'm trying not to re-review these games. I already did that. I mostly just want to discuss what stood out the most to me. 

Your discussions of what stood out the most to you are part of why I've been enjoying these 2023 "Awards" posts! I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do, but I might take a page out of your book to focus on what stood out to me. 

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 3

On 12/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, Cassylvania said:

And... yeah. Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for this one, CJ.

No problem, Cass. I am glad that game got where it was. It can't compete with some of those top tiers but it's a really decent game. (And I have to plat it again for my newest account, so third time's the charm! ^_^)

Also, while this game was one lower than a scarab rolling a ball of manure - which doesn't disgust me because Pokemon Scarlet and Violet have a bug-type Pokemon called Rellor which is also a dung beetle rolling a ball around - at least it was only beat out by one spot instead of those poor saps which got dropped to D-tier. 🤣

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

#9 - Bugsnax

KINDA BUG, KINDA SNACK, TRY TO CATCH 'EM IN YOUR TRAP

FEED SOMEBODY AND YOU'LL SEE, WE ARE WHATEVER WE EAT

Going to need you to pick your jaw up off the floor. There are too many more surprises for this one to come as a shock.

Someone sent me a list of suggested games to prep for my Make it Rain challenge, and this game was amongst them. I told them I don't think I can handle FPS action with freaky walrus people, so I have to apologize in advance for offending walruses. 😢

18 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Somehow, some way... They were fine. I think I'm more stunned than anything. Not only do we have a baker's dozen of storylines to keep track of, not only are they presented in a non-linear way, not only are complicated sci-fi concepts like time travel and parallel universes a thing, but the game has a way of making you think you know what's going on, only for the story to get even more convoluted than before. Unlike a certain popular franchise that features Mickey Mouse, though, this game never feels it's just making stuff up. There's a central plot here, and all the various storylines are connected to it, but you're drip-fed this stuff very slowly. It's basically Last Stop, but done right.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing is how you'll never have a favorite character or storyline. They're all your favorite. And because you'll often be revisiting the same scenes through the eyes of another character, your perspective will change over time too. You'll understand why a character might act in a certain way or say a particular thing, and you'll almost always side with the character you're playing as, even if you were just playing as the other one. It's neat. It's refreshing too. And, most importantly, I think, it's interesting. I didn't want to pop on a YouTube video or have music playing in the background. That's why it took me so long to complete this game. I legitimately wanted to see this story through, and the payoff was surprisingly worth it.

I felt this as high as I could put this game, which is actually a lot higher than I originally planned. I just can't deny how this game has stuck with me throughout the year, while others have come and gone.

A top 10 position is well deserved. The non-linearity really makes it a different experience for most people you talk to about the game.  And the game could well be undertitled with "You've got to be kidding me". Well worth a play for anyone who enjoys story-telling.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

B+ Tier

30. Doom Eternal

29. Atelier Marie Remake

28. Dandara

27. Mighty Switch Force! Collection

26. The DioField Chronicle

25. Two Point Campus

24. Tropico 6

23. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town

22. Axiom Verge 2

21. Atelier Ryza 3

20. Tunche

19. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

A Tier

18. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

17. Risk of Rain 2

16. Unpacking

15. Risk of Rain

14. Inside

13. FAR: Lone Sails

12. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

A+ Tier

11. Yoku's Island Express

10. A Short Hike

9. Bugsnax

8. Carrion

7. 13 Sentinels

6. Deliver Us The Moon

I think Roki got lost somewhere in there. Was it supposed to be in A rank?

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:20 PM, Cassylvania said:

Maybe next year, I'll be reviewing some game and I'll say, "You know, Katamari was actually really fun."

And when that day comes, I ask you all to check me into therapy for real.

Oh, trust me, you will need to go do therapy if you decide to do the Katamari Reroll games. I played the original Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari and that damn King of Cosmos is such a mean dad, making you kill everyone in the world by rolling them into a ball and burning them for star fuel. Then again, he did get stinking drunk and destroyed the moon. :lol: Have a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and I'll see you in 2024. ;)

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 11:52 AM, Cassylvania said:

one of the reasons I wanted to ditch the wheel is because I want to re-focus my efforts in 2024.

Yeah, I am also refocusing my efforts. That is why I made three checklist threads - one for my list of platinums, a temporary one which will be locked involving getting a Platinum Rain Day Challenge in hopes of motivating me to do more games. (It's not working, Dragon Quest Monsters is consuming my life. :lol:) And a third one where I made a second account to platinum all the games that will never be 100% because their DLC is too difficult for me. :(

well, I'm getting older, guys.

So are we all. I just celebrated my 51st this year and I am starting to regret not getting into high school romance when I was in high school as my younger sisters have married twice and had kids with their second husband where as for me... I haven't even kissed a girl. :(

The number of games I want to play continues to grow, while my time on this spinning blue ball continues to get smaller.

Same here, only the number of games that I keep repeating keeps growing. This is why I am doing two accounts this time - one to fuel my completionist lust and the other to play the fun games that just will never get completed. My time on this ball is probably shorter than yours and I just hope that Square-Enix closes their doors before I die of old age so that I see the true Final Days for Final Fantasy XIV and the franchise in general before I leave this mortal coil. <_<

I too have to accept that I won't be able to finish all the games I want to(which is why I created the second account, to dump all the platinum trophies I will earn that I will not put on my main account so they get some respect. I'm sure younger gamers could take the time to finish the DLCs for these games, but I'm not in that group of patient, stubborn individuals. 😭 :lol:

And what happens when I do? I end up playing a bunch of games I only bought because I saw they were on sale and had a fleeting interest in them.

Yeah, I made mistakes like that myself. Two accounts ago I bought Color Slayer because they said it was an easy platinum. IT WASN'T. Same with Rogue Cube. Seriously, I know a top-stick shooter fan would love to platinum Rogue Cube, but I am not that fan. I get frustrated as hell when I die in a game, that's why I can not bring myself to play Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix anymore. The farthest I got in Critcial Mode was Roxas, and then he wiped the floor with my a$$ over and over with the first attack. (Of course, I didn't realize that you have to use Reflect the instant the battle starts or you die. I'm not willing to test that when there are more interesting games to play.)

We have wondrous monsters to slay. Let us go, let us march forward, and let us TAKE DOWN THE GREATEST BEASTS SONY HAS TO OFFER.

Hear hear, Cassy... and I'll be Orda who will grab your hand and drag you to those beasts if you ever get tempted to buy stuff on sale, as long as you drag me to do the games that I promised I would buy for my secondary account in the Platinum Difficulty Challenge. :lol: 😜

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 8:31 PM, Cassylvania said:

#6 - Deliver Us the Moon

Absolutely fantastic game. I have nothing else to say. You have zero excuse not to play this. It's a sub-10 hour platinum, I don't think there are any missable trophies, and it's super easy. Take the 2-3 minutes it'd usually take you to read one of my reviews and go download it. Consider that my Christmas gift to you.

A gift you have to pay for, but maybe you can still get it free on PS+ Extra.

So I started this game today on this recommendation, and I have to say that I definitely agree with this recommendation.   I can't think of the last time that I finished a game and was like yeah, I'm ready to play the sequel now (though I will probably hold off a bit). 

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

This sounds like an interesting game, Cassy. As for me... I'm trying to knock down both versions of LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. Yeah, 90 levels of pure torture and then another 90 to get all the LEGO bricks. But I decided to do it to show that it is possible despite how f'king long these LEGO games are. (I already platted LEGO Jurassic World and LEGO Harry Potter, both titles).

Also planning on deleting my old FFXIV account and reinstating a new one on my second account which has all the platinums I earn for games where I won't finish the DLC trophies, just because. I am growing old and I remembered you saying how you redid accounts and I want to stop this habit of starting over NOW. :angry: So that's why there are two accounts - one for the 100% account of games that I can 100% and one for having fun. (Not to say that I won't be having fun platinuming on my first account, I plan to pop a ton of platinums in the summer by doing a Platinum Rain Day challenge. ;))

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Super_Mep said:

@ProfSeajay7

You'll never want to see a Lego ever again if you do both versions back to back. 😅

:lol: Yeah, I sort of shot myself in the foot. Luckily, I was only alternating between versions for the story modes. Now that I've gotten all 45 levels in both versions done, I can focus on one version at a time. Also, I've already started LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 on the Vita for the Kaledioscope challenge.

• Like 1