Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

On 1/4/2024 at 4:31 PM, ProfSeajay7 said:

This sounds like an interesting game, Cassy. As for me... I'm trying to knock down both versions of LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. Yeah, 90 levels of pure torture and then another 90 to get all the LEGO bricks. But I decided to do it to show that it is possible despite how f'king long these LEGO games are. (I already platted LEGO Jurassic World and LEGO Harry Potter, both titles).

Seriously, I am not kidding. Had to put the PS4 version on the back burner to get one of these games prepped sometime before February. It's eating up my game time. Now I have to explore all the planets and get all the bricks. I got 100% in Tuantal Village. Argh. :(

Also, Gylt is prounced 'guilt', as the 'y' is... you know, I am not going to bore you with English terminology. Just pronounce it 'guilt.' 😛

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I assume it has something to do with their previous game being called Rime, which is a four letter spelling of a five letter word.

Gilt (with an "I" instead of a "y") and rime are both actual words! Gilt is related to "gilded" and rime is related to ice/frost.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 3:08 PM, BrickwallBill said:

Gilt (with an "I" instead of a "y") and rime are both actual words! Gilt is related to "gilded" and rime is related to ice/frost.

I guess that works for Rime, but I think "Guilt" is what they were going for with the other game because Sally feels guilty for what happened to Emily. Like, it's her main driving force, but it still feels like an odd choice for a title. I think they should've gone with Buli.

Anyway, here's a game I finished in a single day.

Not A Platinum #ButTheFirstGameHadOne - Figment 2: Creed Valley

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/539d53/Lc63721.png

On the opposite end of the spectrum of FAR: Changing Tides, we have the ultra rare example of a game that had a platinum being followed up with one that doesn't. Not sure why, since this game was roughly the same length as the OG, but I loved the first game enough that I was going to play this even if it didn't have any trophies at all. But is this game worthy of its predecessor, or should its existence have remained a FIGMENT of our imagination?

Dusty and Piper are back at it again, guys! For those of you who didn't play the first game (i.e. all of you) or remember anything I said about it (i.e. all of you), Dusty is the embodiment of Courage and Piper is the embodiment of Optimism. (Yeah, we're kinda doing an Inside Out thing. That's OK. That movie is a 10/10.) This whole game is essentially taking place in some guy's head. We didn't get to learn much about the guy in the first game, but he plays a slightly bigger role here. He's torn between working to provide for his family and, you know, actually being there for his family. Dusty and Piper are tasked once again with defeating the Nightmares in this guy's head.

Much like the first game, this is a narrative-driven adventure game with some minor puzzle-solving and combat. That's not what makes this game special. What makes this game special is its whimsical charm, its humor, its voice acting, and its musical numbers. I absolutely loved in the first game how the bosses would shit on you in song format. It was actually pretty messed up for what would otherwise feel like a kid's game. Like, one of the bosses would tell you that you're going to lose everybody you love and another said she was going to suck your corpse dry. You still get that here, but there's primarily only one "boss" in this game, and it's that two-faced jester you see above. He/she is a little more chill than the enemies in the first game. Doesn't mean the music is any less good. In fact, I want to share one of the songs with you guys. (Don't worry. It's not a spoiler.) This is probably the hardest I've laughed in a video game since Lair of the Clockwork God.

Nothing I say will convince you to play this game more than that.

There is so much to like about these characters and this world. Yes, Piper is a little too peppy for my tastes, but she's balanced out by Dusty, who is a jaded asshole like me. You'll also come across a ton of Opinions in this game (such as the "discarded" ones in the video above). They're kinda like the NPCs of this world. Their personalities change, though, depending on whether the Mind is "Open" or "Closed". That's this game's main gimmick. By hitting Perspective Switches, you can alternate between Open-Minded and Closed-Minded. This affects the environment -- for example, it can change which doorways are accessible -- as well as the NPCs. An Open-Minded NPC may be more willing to help you, while a Closed-Minded NPC may not. But what I like is this game's emphasis on moderation and understanding that there are advantages to being both open and closed-minded. You don't really hear that much. Obviously, it's good to be open-minded about new ideas and perspectives, but it also makes you less focused. That really plays into this game's overall narrative too. It's not as simple this time as "bad guy bad", as the Jester is a more sympathetic villain. Both Dusty and Piper have character arcs too. That's actually kinda neat to see in a sequel (even if it probably is just a rehashing of the first game).

I don't want to say too much. This is a game best experienced than read about. I do want to say enough to give people the willingness to give this game a try. I think the first game was one of my favorite indie games. It was certainly one of the most memorable. It's also the only game I've played this year that isn't overly depressing or lonely, which is actually a bit surprising since it does deal with some pretty dark emotions. I think it would hard to play through this game without a smile, and you can tell the developers had a lot of fun making it. For that alone, I think it's worth playing.

I could talk about the trophies, but there's not much to say. Use a guide for the Remembrance Shards if you want. I tried to find them all on my own and failed in every level. Didn't take long to play through those levels again. It probably took me...6 hours to 100% the game? I kinda did it while doing chores and trying to weather-proof the house. Supposed to get really cold here soon.

I suppose this was cheating, but we're four for four in 2024.

• Like 4

On 1/13/2024 at 6:45 PM, Cassylvania said:

I kinda did it while doing chores and trying to weather-proof the house. Supposed to get really cold here soon.

Suppose is a gross underestimation, Cassy. It is really cold, and I live in Texas, which is the closest of the United States to the equator, and it's icy! My exercise routine was shifted to the last two days of the week because of the cold and frost. :(

The video was cute and the lyrics were all about opinions. Bad opinions that end up failing in the face of facts, but still cute. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #412 - A Plague Tale: Requiem

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/6991d8/trophies/1L74b61e.png

Damn that was one great review for a (rat) tornado of a game! Makes me double down on my self promise that this year I'll give these games a go, I swear!

Also, as a proud older brother, I want to see how realistic are Amicia's protective tendencies, whether she balances the love for her brother Hugo with the desire to strangle the little runt sometimes :lol:

5 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I realize this is 90% rant and 10% review. What do you want me to say about a sequel? It's more of the same? If you liked the first, you'll like this too? No, I want improvements. I want a AA studio to come out and say, "You know what? We can stand on the shoulders of giants."

All I can say is...totally agree! Damn, nailing the point there!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 12:11 AM, Cassylvania said:
I practically doubled that. And, sure, I was doing other things while I played. I left it idle for a while. I think it's safe to say most people will probably finish a game in 60-70% of the time it takes me, given how I'm rarely ever giving a game my full attention once it becomes a grind fest, but I think you're realistically looking at 150 hours at least. And since most of that is NOT what I'd consider "quality" content, I will NOT be recommending this game. At least, not if you want the platinum. If you're a normie who just wants a single playthrough, go for it. It's a pretty unique game.

An enjoyable review as always. I want to personally say I enjoy the Ajna/RNGETA bits. While the game may have taken 200+ hours, I'm glad we got this little microcosm of the story anecdote out of it :D

As an aside, based on your review of the Tales games... I feel comfortable enough now finally voicing this opinion in public. Anime-style JRPGs are kind of like drugs. Persona is the marijuana of the games industry. Most people can chill with it, lots of people love it, and dabbling in Persona every few years now and then won't cause any long-term damage to your brain development. But some people aren't satisfied with Persona. They go chasing that high they once felt before they poured hundreds of hours into Persona 5, 5 Royal, Persona 4, 4 Golden, Persona 3, 3 Reloaded, and all the anime adaptations. It doesn't make them tick anymore. So they start scrounging the bottom of the barrel.

I think the Tales franchise and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Insert Roman Numeral fundamentally find themselves in that offshoot. I've briefly looked at those games and they all come across as far more... plastic and less stylish. Not to mention the 100+ hours run time for the platinum. When all is lost, the addicts turn to the crystal meth of the anime JRPG genre. Xenoblade Chronicles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/15/2024 at 11:00 AM, realm722 said:

An enjoyable review as always. I want to personally say I enjoy the Ajna/RNGETA bits. While the game may have taken 200+ hours, I'm glad we got this little microcosm of the story anecdote out of it :D

That's good! I'm never quite sure if people enjoy when my roommates get in on the action. (I also think I did a pretty good at summarizing the basic plot of the game for once.)

On 2/15/2024 at 11:00 AM, realm722 said:

As an aside, based on your review of the Tales games... I feel comfortable enough now finally voicing this opinion in public. Anime-style JRPGs are kind of like drugs. Persona is the marijuana of the games industry. Most people can chill with it, lots of people love it, and dabbling in Persona every few years now and then won't cause any long-term damage to your brain development. But some people aren't satisfied with Persona. They go chasing that high they once felt before they poured hundreds of hours into Persona 5, 5 Royal, Persona 4, 4 Golden, Persona 3, 3 Reloaded, and all the anime adaptations. It doesn't make them tick anymore. So they start scrounging the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah... I'll be honest too. You've heard the phrase, "I'm in my 30s, but I feel like I'm 20...until I hang out with 20-year-olds"? That's me, but with JRPGs. I think I like them...until I actually play them. Whether it's Tales or Ys or KH, I can see why people like them, but it just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I've played Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Quest XI, Valkyria Chronicles (if that counts), etc. that I'm just not as impressed, because I've already played the best the genre has to offer. In fact, I might extend that to RPGs in general. I don't know any other genre that I'm so routinely wrong about. At one point, I think it was my favorite genre, but it's getting harder and harder to reach that high again. I feel like I'm always chasing that dragon.

So, naturally, I just started Scarlet Nexus.

Now that we're a few games into the year, I'd like to revisit what I was saying at the end of 2023, about my game selection this year. As you've seen, I've been trying to tackle what I think are going to be good games. That's not the only thing, though. I made a list of about 20 games that I really want to get to. (I don't want to show or reveal any games on this list because it's intended to be a bit flexible.) Consider this my bucket list for the year. These are generally games that have been sitting on my backlog for too long. I own them and I keep putting them off for a variety of excuses...usually because they're too long or too hard (or part of a series that is too long or too hard). I'm sick of making excuses. My goal isn't to do as many of these games as I can. It's to do them all. (There may be an asterisk after that, but we'll talk about that later.)

For now, I'll say Tales of Berseria was the first game on that list. Scarlet Nexus was second. I had been threatening you guys with that game for a while now. It's kinda nice because it's a standalone JRPG, so I'm not going to feel obligated to play every game in the series. With Tales, Ys, and KH, that's a harder pill to swallow. If I had only played one game in each of these series, I could've maybe considered that a one-off, but part of me wants to see these JRPGs through to conclusion. I don't know why. Would probably be better off just playing another Persona game.

But that's the basic plan for 2024, guys. We'll work on active games, bucket list games, and whatever cool-looking indie titles I come across. A couple bucket games each month should be enough to finish the list by the end of the year. Or at least start the list, if you know what I mean. I don't think I really care anymore how many unfinished games I have on my account.

However, putting off Elden Ring needs to end. The hell is wrong with me?

• Like 3

On 2/15/2024 at 10:00 AM, realm722 said:

I think the Tales franchise and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Insert Roman Numeral fundamentally find themselves in that offshoot. I've briefly looked at those games and they all come across as far more... plastic and less stylish. Not to mention the 100+ hours run time for the platinum. When all is lost, the addicts turn to the crystal meth of the anime JRPG genre. Xenoblade Chronicles.

Don't give me that sh**! I'm not into that hard meth, I'm more a casual druggie with the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Disgaea series. The only time I sniffed glue was Tales of Symphonia back on the GameCube... and after Sheena died off, I regret giving her character a character entry in my Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic. <_< Not touching any more Tales games after that.

Yes, I did write a Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic with Sheena's character as a character. Go to Fanfiction.net and Search for "Sister of Anansi." :( 🕷️

Edited by ProfSeajay7

Platinum #415 - Deliver Us Mars

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/6ee1a0/trophies/1L064189.png

Deliver Us Mars is the sequel to the smash hit* Deliver Us The Moon. But is KeokeN Interactive delivering us another success, or should this package...be returned to sender? Let's find out.

*Trust me, guys.

We need to actually begin with a disclaimer/warning here. Since this is a sequel, the obvious question is: should you play the first game first? Yes, you should absolutely play Deliver Us The Moon -- the fact that it'll help this story make more sense is just a bonus feature. (But really, they're standalone games if you must play this first, but I recommend just doing them in order). Either way, I'll avoid any spoilers, outside of the usual Liam-Neeson's-daughter-gets-kidnapped kind of stuff.

So, in DUM (wow, unfortunate acronym), you play as Kathy -- better known as Kat. Really, this is just an excuse for the developers to put cat puns in their trophy names. The basic plot is that you and your older sister Claire are going to get your ass to Mars to find out what happened to your father. Which means, yes, we have yet ANOTHER game centering around siblings. Are you sensing a theme this year?

Anyway, Kathy is...I'm not sure how old (presumably a teenager), but probably too young to be in the position she's in. She's only doing this because Earth is fucked otherwise. But she's smart and seems to know a thing or two about space, so why not have her fly a spaceship? It's not rocket science. There's definitely some tension between her and Claire, but the real tension seems to be in their relationship with their father. Dude was really tight with Kat when she was little, but he seems rather indifferent to Claire. Not sure they ever really explained that.

The story is good, and probably the reason you'd want to play this series, but they had to make budget cuts somewhere. They chose the graphics for that -- namely, the character models. Yeesh. I don't really like what they did with the characters' faces. There are really only like four or five characters you're regularly going to see on screen, and the developers dropped the ball on all of them. Kathy is probably the best, but she's got this permanent Erica face going on. (You remember Erica, right? That weird live-action game I played a couple years ago and absolutely ripped apart because the female lead's only emotion was uncertainty. Yeah, Erica is now an astronaut.) It's not...terrible...but it's a bit jarring how she always look like she's one sneeze away from breaking every bone in her body.

Maybe "jarring" isn't the right word. Distracting? Maybe that's better. There are actually quite a few little things I find distracting about this game. Take the cell phone logs, for example. They're a collectible in the game that have stored text conversations on them. Despite the majority of the game having a rather serious/dire tone, these are goofy interactions between two people, like a guy who is trying to get laid or someone literally texting while on the toilet. And every one of these collectibles ends with Kathy saying something like, "I should write this down for later," as if it's the most important thing in the world. I'm not going to fault the devs for not adding unique voice lines to every item in the game, but when you're making an immersive sim, the quickest way to break my immersion is by having what appears on screen not match what is being said.

I'm also not sure how realistic the launch sequences are. It's kinda neat that they want you to feel like you're really manning a spaceship, but it's hard to take it serious when you're mostly just flipping colored switches and solving the easiest puzzles known to mankind. Fortunately, the actual puzzles in the game (the ones that involve redirecting beams of light) will scratch that itch for you.

They introduced climbing for some reason, which never felt good to me. There are a few reasons for this, which will probably become clear if you play it. The first is that Kathy climbs by dual wielding pickaxes -- except she's really slow. You have to hold one shoulder button down while using the other to move Kathy's arm. If you're trying to move horizontally, that means you have to constantly reposition the back pickaxe to give yourself enough room to reach out with the front pickaxe. You also need a solid surface on which to attach. This sometimes means inching your way towards a surface that you can then reach across, or (more likely) not realizing that your pickaxe bounced off the surface and falling to your death because you already let go on the other shoulder button. Good job. Turns out Kats don't always land on their feet.

You can also jump while climbing...which the game never tells you...and feels awkward to do, even once you get the hang of it.

I realize that's a lot of complaining and I probably sound like I didn't like the game, but I did. It's just another sequel that didn't quite live up to the original for me. But it has its moments, and one of those is the ending, which saved the game for me.

At the very least, this game and the original are good examples of how to do trophy lists. Not in love with all the collectibles, but at least there's a tracker, and the speedrun trophies aren't bad. (Don't worry. You don't have to speedrun the whole game. Just a few timed sections here and there.) I'm going to cautiously hold back on a recommendation, but I'm still counting this as a success in my "good games only this year" campaign.

• Like 4

Platinum #416 - Scars Above

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/2399a5/trophies/1Lf222b8.png

Scars Above is a third-person shooter developed by Mad Head Games, creators of...OK, I had to look it up, and I've seriously never heard of any of these games. But I feel we were playing it a little too safe with our game selections so far this year, so I decided to take one giant blind leap for mankind. But is this relatively short space odyssey punching ABOVE its weight, or is it a SCAR on the industry? Let's dive in.

As I've said before, I sometimes like to follow up one game with another that fits it thematically. I actually have several space games in my backlog that I'd like to get to eventually, but this one stuck out to me because it's always going on sale for under $10 and -- well, I'll be honest here -- the main character is a chick wearing a sleeveless top. That's a good way to get my attention. And unlike the last game, where we were playing as a little girl named Kat who was barely old enough to drive a car (let alone a spaceship), we're now a mature woman named Dr. Kate Ward. A totally different name from Kat, for sure.

And...just like Deliver Us Mars, the game begins with a four-man mission into space to check out a strange anomaly, where everything goes horribly wrong. I gotta say: as a marine biologist, I've always wished we invested more money into studying our own oceans than wasting our time in space. Ain't nothing good out there. Just death and crazy aliens that want us dead. Haven't these people ever seen a movie before?

Naturally, you find yourself alone, stranded on a strange planet with enormous creatures who are even hungrier than me for Dr. Tanktop's meaty arms. When you first encounter them, you're going to realize you're playing a Souls-like with guns. I'm not sure I've played one of those before, but it somehow feels natural here. Color me surprised. You do have a melee attack, but you're more likely to be spamming the dodge roll when an enemy closes the gap because (a) it doesn't feel very strong, and (b) a lot of the enemies look, sound, and hit like a truck. Most of them have also weak spots, which are susceptible to gunfire.

In fact, we got a bit of Genshin going on here because you have elemental attacks and elemental reactions with the environment. For example, an enemy that is treading through water will have the "Wet" status. It doesn't feel very good for them when you hit them with an electric attack. Similarly, you can freeze enemies and then shoot them with fire, or try to get behind them to hit their weak spot while they're unable to move. That's about as complicated as the elemental system gets, but I like its inclusion. It's one of the things that keeps combat engaging in Genshin because you're incentivized to pay attention to your environment and the attacks you are using.

Dr. Resting Bitch Face comes equipped with more than a gun, though. Well, not as first, but eventually you gain access to a plethora of gadgets. These gadgets include things like healing injections, grenades, traps, and shields. They're also probably for people who play on a higher difficulty than me. I pretty much used the healing injections exclusively, since you can only have one equipped at a time and many of them share the same battery life. (Like most Souls-likes, you can reset everything, including enemy spawns, by resting at a checkpoint, but you can also refill your gadgets simply by harvesting resources. This essentially means you don't HAVE to rest to get more healing items, so long as you can find enough of the shared resource to keep yourself topped off. I kinda like that.)

While this is a Souls-inspired game, I didn't find it particularly difficult, but there are definitely some areas and bosses where I died numerous times. Part of the reason for this is you're often fighting in cramped environments, and you need to watch out for hazards. One of the worst is when you get to the snowy region and have to keep an eye on your temperature gauge, as maxing that out will instantly kill you. Maybe Dr. Lara Spacecroft should come equipped with more padded clothing. (Actually, she finds a jacket for that section, and then appears to randomly change her outfit throughout the rest of the game. Very odd.)

The graphics are pretty good here, I think. Face models are a little stiff, like the last game I reviewed. It's kinda creepy when Kate's lips start moving. Hair physics are good, though, and I guess that's more important because you'll be spending most of the game looking at her from behind. Enemy variety seems to be where the budget was cut the most. Several of the later enemies are just re-skinned versions of ones you encountered earlier in the game. It also doesn't help that the game stops introducing new elemental reactions pretty early on. You'll have most of your weapons and gadgets by the end of the second chapter, and there are six in the game. It kinda means this is one of those games that starts out strong and then dips. That'd be bad for a longer game, but I think it's fine here. Just know what you're getting.

You're looking at a single playthrough plat, unless you miss a couple trophies or one of the trophies glitches out on you. (Didn't happen to me, but I read it's a common issue.) Could be a good weekend game, if you're looking for a short adventure. I actually liked this one. The middling reviews that I glanced at had me worried, but most of my complaints boil down to: "I wish there was more of this." The story is kinda meh and the combat can get a bit stale towards the second half of the game, but coming from Deliver Us Mars, it was nice to have a little action. I'm going to recommend this one. I don't think it's going to win any awards at the end of the year, but it DOES keep my streak alive. (And for those of you wondering, yes, I consider Tales of Berseria to be decent enough that we're still flawless after nine games.)

I may be a bit all over the place with this review, but I haven't been to bed yet and it's almost dawn. It's like I'm a teenager all over again. Maybe I'll learn to pilot a spaceship this time around.

See you, space cowboy.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4

On 2/20/2024 at 12:46 AM, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #415 - Deliver Us Mars

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/6ee1a0/trophies/1L064189.png

14 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #416 - Scars Above

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/2399a5/trophies/1Lf222b8.png

After seeing you bash a Tales game, which is understandable as I have Tales of Arise rotting on my PS5 library and not willing to try it despite my only personal friend boasting on how cool it is, it's nice to see you return to form. Haven't bothered playing games like this but your reviews are nice. Your reviews helped me avoid games that would have been a disaster for me.

Didn't help that I blew $20.99 on a Deluxe Edition of LEGO Star Wars for the PS4, not realizing I didn't need to buy that game for my PS4 as I already had that version's platinum. :facepalm:

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I gotta say: as a marine biologist, I've always wished we invested more money into studying our own oceans than wasting our time in space. Ain't nothing good out there. Just death and crazy aliens that want us dead.

I just saw a Splatoon documentary and I gotta say, you're missing out, Cass. If you love marine biology, these games are up your alley with lots of squids and octopi and you don't even have to play the multiplayer, they have great single player campaigns. (Coming from a guy who only played a little bit of Splatoon 2 and quit because he kept falling off the arenas. :lol:) No trophies, but trust me, I do play games which don't have a trophy system, like Dragon Quest Monsters and Pokemon. ;)

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 6:11 AM, Cassylvania said:

I have so many complaints from here on out. First, the combat... I don't get it. I mean, I did it. I played well enough to beat the game. But there's simply too much to keep track of. Maybe I'm just old. You got all these different artes you can map to different buttons, you can perform combos by chaining certain artes together, some artes are better against certain types of enemies, you can use BGs and Break Souls and Mystic Artes, but they have different gauges and different levels, and you can have four characters actively running around on the screen at a time and two in reserves, you have various gear that you can upgrade that skills but they require mastery, and then titles that increase various skills but there are different levels of that too... I'll be honest, guys. I played on a lower difficulty and spammed buttons. I didn't know what I was doing. I still don't know what I was doing.

This kind of stuff seems so prevalent in JRPGs. Or at least that's been my impression the few times I've dared to start one.

There seems to be some sort of culture over there that quantity equals depth and good design. What you just described here reminds me of Trails of Cold Steel. There is no reason for a game to have:

• 30-ish different status effects (!!!)
  • Stagger mechanics
  • Link abilities for different characters
  • Two types of special ability/arts categories with different resource pools
  • Gems that give different buffs and abilities
  • Four different elements with corresponding resistances
  • Four to five different weapon types with...yes...more corresponding resistances...

I might even be forgetting something there... It's so bad. Cut the amount of stuff in half and you have a better, more engaging combat system. I wish Japanese developers would at least entertain the idea that less is sometimes more. Maybe then my track record with JRPGs wouldn't be so horrible.

Anyways, would you say Arise was better than Berseria in this regard? And by the sound of your review, you don't actually need to bother learning the combat all that much to beat and plat Berseria?

Edited by Sinastran
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here I was looking forward to 2-3 new Cassy reviews after 2 weeks of essentially abandoning the website while on vacation and I’m shocked to discover that there’s nothing.

7 NEW GAMES AT ONCE CASSY???? Is that a record? You have some BANGERS in there (Paradise Killer I genuinely can’t wait) and some games I’m wildly curious about and have seen on sale in Potion Permit and The Touryist. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 1:07 PM, realm722 said:

Here I was looking forward to 2-3 new Cassy reviews after 2 weeks of essentially abandoning the website while on vacation and I’m shocked to discover that there’s nothing.

7 NEW GAMES AT ONCE CASSY???? Is that a record? You have some BANGERS in there (Paradise Killer I genuinely can’t wait) and some games I’m wildly curious about and have seen on sale in Potion Permit and The Touryist. 

Utter insanity, isn't it? March Madness ain't just for basketball. But yeah, it's been a new week every night for the past week. I was doing a little housesitting for someone else and it helped to break up the tedium of not being near my PC. I feel lost playing games without PSNP/YouTube by my side.

Either way, I do think this is a record, both for number of games started in a week...and number of unfinished games on my account. I think there's 19 now, if we don't include the impossible one. 16, I guess, if we include the DLC surprises. Not impossible for me to manage, but I'm certainly putting myself into some awkward positions going into spring. Consider this my way of finally getting to those games that I swore I'd play "someday."

The real question now is: which of these games will I finish first? I mean, it's probably pretty obvious, but I got some shorter indie games that I plan to knock out over the next few weeks. I'm sure I'll have a lot of reviews coming soon!

In the meantime... hm, I forget if I mentioned it, but the reason my gaming room has had even less progress than my completion percentage is that I had to tear everything down to the subfloor and I have a contractor coming out this week to even out the floor because walking across that room is about as uphill as...well, my completion percentage. There's a literal hump in the middle of the floor that runs wall to wall and I just can't have that in the one room of this damn house that I plan to spend any time in.

Once that's done, I'll put back in the vinyl flooring, toss in some farmhouse trim to match the rest of the house (so much easier than traditional baseboard molding), and then I think we're good to move furniture in there. That's good because I'm not sure sitting in bed all the time to play games is good for my back. I'm not sure working on this house is either.

• Like 4