Final Fantasy IX Trophy Thoughts?

Kishnabe

Oh my, up until 200 it's a child's play since you can just count to 4 (like you were dancing), but 201+ always throws me off. 

I did get +2000 skips as a kid, and I don't recall 300+ being this difficult at least. I just need to nail the 200 rhythm. 

4 minutes ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

Gahhh!!! I am torn. I want the game so bad but I don't like about 5 of the trophies. Stupid speedrun and 1000 jumps in a row!!!!! Such stupidness.

The speedrun is, honestly, not that bad. I did that on the PS1 roughly 17 years ago to get the Escalibur II sword. It'll challenge you, but you can just keep saving when you think you made a pretty good run. You have to be so fast though that you can't actually enjoy the game with the sword afterwards, which cements the fact that from a design perspective it's an epic disaster. But at least it won't be horrible.

I'm fully with you on the jump rope bullshit, which has nothing to do with the game at all.

Personally, though I understand the contradiction on a trophy site, I would buy the PS1 classic on Vita or even PS3 instead. Asking $20 for FF9 (or $17 for the next few days, I think) is a little steep in my opinion. Especially since I personally can't really see the visual upgrade. You can make the game look a lot better with the original disc and a PC emulator.

Edited by Paige-ID

38 minutes ago, Orphioon said:

If you guys who thought the dodge 100 lightning trophy in FFX was bad, just wait till you experience jump rope.

The 200 lightning dodges weren't bad - just tedious, as the crater + flashes made things really easy to time. The jump rope on the other hand, is awful. The sprint is awful too. I don't know why they'd sprinkle such terrible trophies in an otherwise good list. Guess I'll stick to enjoying the game on my Vita.

Edited by darkamdusias

5 minutes ago, darkamdusias said:

The 200 lightning dodges weren't bad - just tedious, as the crater + flashes made things really easy to time. The jump rope on the other hand, is awful. The sprint is awful too. I don't know why they'd sprinkle such terrible trophies in an otherwise good list. Guess I'll stick to enjoying the game on my Vita.

That's exactly my point, if that trophy was removed, i could see this platinum being at a 7% to 10+% rarity, Excalibur 2 sucks, but speedrun trophies are pretty commonplace enough and semi experienced trophy hunters would have a pretty easy time with it.

That jump rope on the otherhand, i expect this plat to be hovering around 2-3% rarity unless someone finds a way to easily cheese it.

People may be overreacting a little to this list. 

Rope jumping is extremely nice to do if you attach your button presses to SOUND. Here's what I do: 

-Turn Sound OFF, keep Sound Effects ON

-Start jumping to get my rhythm on, keep mental count

-Look away from the screen and press X in sync with Vivi's footstep sound

This gets me to 200 on every single attempt and I'm not even looking at the game! The pace shift from 201 to 300 is a b*tch but once we get the hang of it this won't be so bad, as 300 onwards has a steady flow

As for Excalibur II, people again seem to forget there is a SPEED BOOST in this game that keeps the clock at REGULAR SPEED, making the speedrun 4835465386 times easier than it ever was on PS One. On top of that, CG cutscenes can be skipped, which will save us all 35 minutes total. Getting to Memoria in 12 hours should be pretty doable.

The rest of the list is simple 100% game completion, there's an ingame reward behind every grind on the list and the speed boost is going to make everything faster and more manageable. I am totally gunning for this one and I'm absolutely convinced I'll get it done. I've done much worse :lol: 

In short: GO FOR IT! YOU CAN DO IT!! :awesome: 

Edited by Omar
  • Like 3

Just to be clear: cheats DO disable trophies. (According to the game itself).

The game is very clear about this in a confirmation window if you attempt to turn on "Master Abilities," "Lv/Mag Stone Max" and/or "Gil Max."

So if trophies are being earned despite this, then the game's statement is either incorrect or it's a bug. 

38 minutes ago, Zetakitsune said:

Could you potentially use the stream to PC feature and an autoclick?

That's how pretty much everyone did it on the PC version.

Sorry if that doesn't work just an idea to make it less tedious

I've thought about this as well, but it very likely wouldnt work because it's remote play. Any tiny amount of stream lag or any tiny connection hiccup and it won't work. 

11 minutes ago, liquidsol said:

Just to be clear: cheats DO disable trophies. (According to the game itself).

The game is very clear about this in a confirmation window if you attempt to turn on "Master Abilities," "Lv/Mag Stone Max" and/or "Gil Max."

So if trophies are being earned despite this, then the game's statement is either incorrect or it's a bug. 

It's specifically those cheats that you can't activate/deactivate whenever that disable them. The rest are fine. 

Edited by Gage

Dodging the lightning bolts in FFX drove me crazy, so it goes without saying that I'm not looking forward to this jump rope thing. I honestly don't know the game really well, but the other trophies sound reasonable at first glance. I know people aren't fans of the Excalibur II trophy either, but it sounds like an interesting challenge to me. I'm just glad these trophies don't seem to be a cakewalk like FFVII's list was.

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

Dodging the lightning bolts in FFX drove me crazy, so it goes without saying that I'm not looking forward to this jump rope thing. I honestly don't know the game really well, but the other trophies sound reasonable at first glance. I know people aren't fans of the Excalibur II trophy either, but it sounds like an interesting challenge to me. I'm just glad these trophies don't seem to be a cakewalk like FFVII's list was.

Excalibur II would have been interesting if it wasn't for the speedhack not counting the clock faster, no encounter so you can skip all random encounters and always do 9999 damage... :| It's a joke at this point.

26 minutes ago, Omar said:

People may be overreacting a little to this list. 

Rope jumping is extremely nice to do if you attach your button presses to SOUND. Here's what I do: 

-Turn Sound OFF, keep Sound Effects ON

-Start jumping to get my rhythm on, keep mental count

-Look away from the screen and press X in sync with Vivi's footstep sound

This gets me to 200 on every single attempt and I'm not even looking at the game! The pace shift from 201 to 300 is a b*tch but once we get the hang of it this won't be so bad, as 300 onwards has a steady flow

As for Excalibur II, people again seem to forget there is a SPEED BOOST in this game that keeps the clock at REGULAR SPEED, making the speedrun 4835465386 times easier than it ever was on PS One. On top of that, CG cutscenes can be skipped, which will save us all 35 minutes total. Getting to Memoria in 12 hours should be pretty doable.

The rest of the list is simple 100% game completion, there's an ingame reward behind every grind on the list and the speed boost is going to make everything faster and more manageable. I am totally gunning for this one and I'm absolutely convinced I'll get it done. I've done much worse :lol: 

In short: GO FOR IT! YOU CAN DO IT!! :awesome: 

I'm actually playing a bunch of anime music from my mp3 on repeat. I believe in you guys as well lmao. Let's go.

• Like 1

Just now, MMDE said:

Excalibur II would have been interesting if it wasn't for the speedhack not counting the clock faster, no encounter so you can skip all random encounters and always do 9999 damage... :| It's a joke at this point.

So its confirmed that cheats don't disable trophies? I didn't look through all the posts, but I just saw someone mention on this page that the game itself tells you they do. But yeah, if you can use cheats, I guess the only challenging trophy would be the jump rope one.

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

So its confirmed that cheats don't disable trophies? I didn't look through all the posts, but I just saw someone mention on this page that the game itself tells you they do. But yeah, if you can use cheats, I guess the only challenging trophy would be the jump rope one.

As I've understood it, the cheats in the option menu (permanent cheats) disables the trophies, but the boosters doesn't. :(

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665785611

Jump rope and athlete queen. There are still many missable trophies etc too, but they are not hard to get and if you really explore the game well at all points, you probably won't miss much of it. :P 

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt_Ponyholder said:

My question is: Does a turbo controller work for the Jump Rope game? That is literally the only trophy I do not think I will be able to obtain normally. I have played this game twice a year since it released and I have never gotten more than 200. 

No. You can't click too early or too late, and it changes speed. You would need to program a controller to do it for you.