Is FFIX on ps4 really worth it?

damilew

It's $21 (I think it's $17 on sale now), which seems pretty high rent for some surface makeup on a PS1 title that can be bought for a fraction of that price on PS3 if you don't care about the trophies. If you've never played it before, it's a great game, but elicits mixed reactions for a variety of reasons. 

As much as I like FFIX, I won't personally be buying it unless there is a MAJOR price reduction in a sale, and given Square's (nonsensical) reluctance to discount its games in sales, that probably means a no for me.

On the plus side, you won't need to worry about a physical strategy guide that requires you to go online to use it!

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

It's still the same game. A port of the PC version that came out not too long ago. Your mileage will vary if that suits your fancy or not. I'll always whole heatedly recommend FFIX, but it's only really worth it if you actually want to play it again. I'll be waiting for a sale since I bought and played it on PC back when it came out, but I'll definitely be buying it at some point.

Honestly? Yes, I know a lot of people are put off by the price which is fair but if you buy the game you get. 

• The full game
  • An exclusive theme
  • An Avatar of every party member.

So if you take that into consideration the price, to me it seemed okay. The game is also really good, you already know that since playing and if you can hold back the use of cheats you can easily sink hours into it. I guess it depends on how recently you played it. For me it's been 10+ years so it was worth it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

If you've never played it before, it's a great game

2 minutes ago, KittiBear said:

I'll always whole heatedly recommend FFIX, but it's only really worth it if you actually want to play it again

Actually it´s my favorite FF, but i dont think i want to play it again just yet.

Maybe I´ll wait to a sale

1 minute ago, Meacham said:

Honestly? Yes, I know a lot of people are put off by the price which is fair but if you buy the game you get. 

• The full game
  • An exclusive theme
  • An Avatar of every party member.

So if you take that into consideration the price, to me it seemed okay. The game is also really good, you already know that since playing and if you can hold back the use of cheats you can easily sink hours into it. I guess it depends on how recently you played it. For me it's been 10+ years so it was worth it.

Yeah, I played it 5 years ago.

I don´t personally care about the theme and avatars, but is nice that Square Enix add more content, maybe justifying the considerable price...

I still have my ps1 copy of this game. I won't buy this until I can get it for 5 bucks or less. 

I got this right when it came out, played straight through and beat it, and I remember nothing from the game. It was OK but was completely forgettable for me. 

• Like 2

I'll pick it up once it's on sale. I love the game and played it multiple times on for ps1, but I still have it sitting on the PS3 and an extra 10-15 dollars doesn't justify the price even with a theme and avatar.

Though, I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before we get FFVIII as well.

If you've already played it OP you already know exactly what you are getting into. It sounds like you aren't that bothered at the moment to play it so no, personally I would recommend skipping it for now. It's still going to be available to buy if you should ever want to go play it some other time. Not sure why you would need other people's recommendations when you've already played through the game, it's the same thing but the graphics have been cleaned up a little for HD TV.

• Like 1

In my honest opinion. If you haven't played the game before and are interested in it, than I recommend you try it for free on an emulator first. Reason being is because not everyone is going to like playing an older game on a PS4. As for those who have played the game before back on PS1, and want to re-live your childhood game with a shiny platinum to boot with it than I recommend buying it. Again don't buy it if you aren't gonna like it considering it will be the same exact version as the older one; with just slightly better graphics.

As for me, I'm happy that there is a PS4 port version. Loved playing it back on PS1, and didn't mind spending 17$ on the game. Plus if you are a big fan of the game you also get a nice theme for your PS4, and all the avatars. The fact that it has a platinum is just an added bonus for me.

Edited by tsuki_-no-_usagi

In one word, objectively: no.

It is simply not worth paying $20 for. Especially not when the PS1 classic version is $10. That version can be taken on-the-go with a Vita, and is the exact same game. The game isn't updated at all, and the graphics are essentially identical to the original, in my opinion. Just forcing textures to load like HD doesn't make something HD. The Steam version is often on sale. The Android version can literally be side-loaded on any Android device (shield, being the best). 

If you have no PS1, no Vita, no PS3, no PC, and no nVidia Shield, then the PS4 version is worth it due to the fact that it's a fantastic game in and of itself, and it would be the only way you could play it. However, you stated that you already played it on a PS1 emulator before, so this doesn't apply to you. The PS4 version should therefor be a last resort for people who do not value trophies. If you have the original disc, or an .ISO image file of it, playing it on an emulator via the PC will yield better graphics, performance, and sound than any port.

Subjectively? If you want a trophy or two, then get it. If you don't care about trophies? Waste of money. The game has no right to be anything other than $10-15 at best. FF7 is $15. What makes FF9 deserve to be $20?

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Paige-ID said:

It is simply not worth paying $20 for. Especially not when the PS1 classic version is $10. That version can be taken on-the-go with a Vita, and is the exact same game. The game isn't updated at all, and the graphics are essentially identical to the original, in my opinion. Just forcing textures to load like HD doesn't make something HD. The Steam version is often on sale. The Android version can literally be side-loaded on any Android device (shield, being the best). 

If you have no PS1, no Vita, no PS3, no PC, and no nVidia Shield, then the PS4 version is worth it due to the fact that it's a fantastic game in and of itself, and it would be the only way you could play it. However, you stated that you already played it on a PS1 emulator before, so this doesn't apply to you. The PS4 version should therefor be a last resort for people who do not value trophies. If you have the original disc, or an .ISO image file of it, playing it on an emulator via the PC will yield better graphics, performance, and sound than any port.

Subjectively? If you want a trophy or two, then get it. If you don't care about trophies? Waste of money. The game has no right to be anything other than $10-15 at best. FF7 is $15. What makes FF9 deserve to be $20?

Please don't use the word objectively in this fashion. It makes no sense. You're using your own value system to establish your opinion here, not raw numbers or things measured by empirical means, and even if you thought someone who owned FFIX on every other platform and had little money would be a little silly for buying another copy of this game, it would still not be objectively bad, because everyone's value system in this sense is different, and that is the gauge on which this decision is made.

You cannot say something is 'objective' and proceed to give your own opinion. If you are being objective you give facts - things which have no relation to your interpretations or feelings on the matter. The PC/PS4 port has cleaned up textures, the UI isn't great but it displays much more crisply on HDTVs as a result. Are either of using objectivity when we give these opinions? No. Your whole post is subjective!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Please don't use the word objectively in this fashion. It makes no sense. You're using your own value system to establish your opinion here, not raw numbers or things measured by empirical means, and even if you thought someone who owned FFIX on every other platform and had little money would be a little silly for buying another copy of this game, it would still not be objectively bad, because everyone's value system in this sense is different, and that is the gauge on which this decision is made.

You cannot say something is 'objective' and proceed to give your own opinion. If you are being objective you give facts - things which have no relation to your interpretations or feelings on the matter. The PC/PS4 port has cleaned up textures, the UI isn't great but it displays much more crisply on HDTVs as a result. Are either of using objectivity when we give these opinions? No. Your whole post is subjective!

Ok, so pedantic semantics aside, the game is not worth a purchase. The misuse of the term "objective" does not detract from the actual point that was made in my post.

The textures are better on PS1 using an emulator with proper configuration. The graphics are also just as clean as they are on PC/Android, which is a version that can be obtained cheaper. Unless you like trophies, there is hardly any point in buying it on PS4 apart from collector's reasons or to somehow inflate your "true fan" status of the game.

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Paige-ID said:

For your final point, while FF7 is $15, the reason why FF9 is $20, is because it's a bundle, not simply the game itself. It comes with a dynamic theme, and avatars of the entire playable cast. (minus Beatrix, though I would've killed for that) Personally, I think the price isn't that steep, since it's a nice theme and it's a decent amount of avatars for only a $5 difference from the PS4 port of FF7. However, your first point I agree with, that if you don't care for avatars, trophies, or themes, you might as well get the PS1 classic one for $10.

To OP, you already know what the game is like, since you did say you played it previously on an emulator. 

The question is if you want to shell out a little for some nostalgia, with trophy support. :P Make your decision on that basis.

Just now, Paige-ID said:

Ok, so pedantic semantics aside, the game is not worth a purchase. The misuse of the term "objective" does not detract from the actual point that was made in my post.

Hahaha. Sorry, I am 100% being pedantic, but I've seen that word misused a lot lately, and I just had to give my two cents. It's just a pet peeve of mine when I see that word used like that. I actually agree with your opinion for the most part.

3 minutes ago, Griffon234 said:

and avatars of the entire playable cast. (minus Beatrix, though I would've killed for that)

If you count characters like Beatrix, does that mean it includes Zidane's group of thieving friends?

Edited by MMDE

13 hours ago, damilew said:

Well as the title says, is this new realeased FFIX worth buying? I already played the original version on an emulator of PSX, but quite a couple years ago.

Sooo... Do you recommend it?

Buy it if you want to do the trophies...

I'm personally waiting for a much lower price, and then I'll pick it up for sure! Why would I not want to get the platinum trophy for one of my favorite games? :D 

Edited by MMDE

It’s a re-release of a really good RPG from a time when “Squaresoft” used to make really, really good RPGs. So, you know what you’re getting. For me, it’s a no brainer since I haven’t played it since 2002. You get a lot of gameplay hours out of it. Some of which were tedious as it was the tradition back then (which SE basically acknowledged since they added a 3x speed boost option).

I'm not buying it at that price, I already bought the classic one on psp ages ago, so I can still play that. I might have bought it when it's a lot cheaper if the trophy requirements weren't this rediculous. I'm all for completing a game and getting special swords, but 1000 jump rope? No thanks.

For your final point, while FF7 is $15, the reason why FF9 is $20, is because it's a bundle, not simply the game itself. It comes with a dynamic theme, and avatars of the entire playable cast.

Ok, and where is the link to just the game? I don't remember asking for $5-$6 of crap to be rammed down my throat. It's not a bundle, it's just a game with a couple of image files. This is just another scummy tactic to increase the price. Would you also buy a loaf of bread for $3 more because it comes with a jar of peanut butter (if you don't like peanut butter)?

The arrogance of this industry is baffling. And they'll always get away with it because the average gamer doesn't care that this crap happens, they happily fork over the extra cash. Because "Oh goody! Shiny png file!".

Edited by Ric