Is FFIX on ps4 really worth it?

damilew

2 hours ago, liquidsol said:

You get a lot of gameplay hours out of it. Some of which were tedious as it was the tradition back then (which SE basically acknowledged since they added a 3x speed boost option).

In a lot of good RPGs, you got the option between grind or difficulty. The fact is, you can beat the game without any cheats in 9-10 hours. Very little else takes a lot of time, so what in this game is so tedious that you need a 3x speed boost option? I'm saying this as someone who doesn't mind speedhack for this game. My issue with this game is the 9999 damage, full trance and ATB meter boosters without it disabling trophies. Those just breaks the game... :( The Excalibur II trophy would have been an interesting challenge where you get to play the game in a very different way, but as it is now it's simply an extra playthrough where you just quickly skip through the entire game and wasting 10 hours. :| 

FFIX is often known for it's slow battle system though, but this is not a typical FF thing. You can speed it up quite a bit though using various options. Nah, this has much more to do with SE just being embarrassed of what made them great and don't think people want what they made before, which is a real pity. Had the exact same game, perhaps with more polygons, been released today, I would easily have called it one of the best games on PS4. TBH, it is one of the best games on PS4 IMO...

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I'm not buying it at that price, I already bought the classic one on psp ages ago, so I can still play that. I might have bought it when it's a lot cheaper if the trophy requirements weren't this rediculous. I'm all for completing a game and getting special swords, but 1000 jump rope? No thanks.

Ok, and where is the link to just the game? I don't remember asking for $5-$6 of crap to be rammed down my throat. It's not a bundle, it's just a game with a couple of image files. This is just another scummy tactic to increase the price. Would you also buy a loaf of bread for $3 more because it comes with a jar of peanut butter (if you don't like peanut butter)?

The arrogance of this industry is baffling. And they'll always get away with it because the average gamer doesn't care that this crap happens, they happily fork over the extra cash. Because "Oh goody! Shiny png file!".

Personally, I will just wait until the price drops and it's on sale. I got the game on PS1 and can play it on plenty other consoles and on emulator with up-scaled graphics. All I want it on PS4 for is just an additional reason to replay it and because I want to earn those trophies. :) 

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm not buying it at that price, I already bought the classic one on psp ages ago, so I can still play that. I might have bought it when it's a lot cheaper if the trophy requirements weren't this rediculous. I'm all for completing a game and getting special swords, but 1000 jump rope? No thanks.

Ok, and where is the link to just the game? I don't remember asking for $5-$6 of crap to be rammed down my throat. It's not a bundle, it's just a game with a couple of image files. This is just another scummy tactic to increase the price. Would you also buy a loaf of bread for $3 more because it comes with a jar of peanut butter (if you don't like peanut butter)?

The arrogance of this industry is baffling. And they'll always get away with it because the average gamer doesn't care that this crap happens, they happily fork over the extra cash. Because "Oh goody! Shiny png file!".

I agree, and most people won't push back because they've essentially been brow-beaten by the gaming media to accept it to the point that they'll police themselves.

Anyway this could be slightly worth it aside from trophies if you want the ability to skip things and make the game run faster but I dunno. Got it a while back as a PS1 classic so definitely not for the price it is currently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

In short no, not worth it at the current price. $31.95 Australian is too rich for my blood, hell I probably wouldn't get that much for my physical copy if I sold it on Ebay.

31 AUD? What the fuck? I got mine with the bundle and all for 23 with PS+.

Is the PS+ discount that much? 

Edited by Griffon234

56 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

I don't care if it comes with theme + avatars, $21 is way too steep for a digital only re-re-release of such an easy to come across game. SE prices are way off the mark. I'm surprised to see people defending their pricing model.

I totally agree with you, 21 euros is far overpriced.

Also, i don'tunderstand people who says "its not 21 euros for the game, because you get a theme and some avatars". Yeah, right, like i'd pay for avatars :D.

Still, i bought the game :(

To answer the question, yes the game is definitely worth it... It's just more worth it with a lower price. So, if you're like me, wait for a sale or something.

With so many good games on the cheap these days, for whichever of the Sony platforms but not limited to them, why would you get it for full price? Patience is a virtue 

FFVII came with a theme, too, so the only "extra" you'd really be getting would be the avatars. I don't buy avatars, and this wasn't my favorite Final Fantasy, so I probably would still use Kat. I don't get the price increase over VII, myself, and may not ever get this one without a significant price drop. But I just played VIII and IX a couple years back on the PS3, so it wasn't like VII where it had been a really long time. I waited for a price drop on it, too, and it's my favorite one.

3 hours ago, MMDE said:

Very little else takes a lot of time, so what in this game is so tedious that you need a 3x speed boost option?  

Auto-haste was a life saver. xD Put that ability on everyone. Still took ~50 hours to do everything, though. If I can cut that time by 2/3rds, and knock a game off the backlog that much sooner, I'm going to. Backlog is too big to waste any time. Loved having the option in VII, as I had played through it a million times. Playing it with super speed was almost like a whole new experience. 

8 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

Auto-haste was a life saver. xD Put that ability on everyone. Still took ~50 hours to do everything, though. If I can cut that time by 2/3rds, and knock a game off the backlog that much sooner, I'm going to. Backlog is too big to waste any time. Loved having the option in VII, as I had played through it a million times. Playing it with super speed was almost like a whole new experience. 

I have no issues with the speedhack... :P It was all the other boosters that totally killed it for me. :( 

16 hours ago, Paige-ID said:

Especially not when the PS1 classic version is $10.

Further, the PS1 classic has been at deep discount multiple times. I think I remember seeing it as low as $2.99 once, and it's often been a $4.99.

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

I have no issues with the speedhack... :P It was all the other boosters that totally killed it for me. :( 

I like no encounters, too. But giving 9999 damage to each attack kind of kills it for me. One of the really fun things about FFIX was stealing the awesome stuff from bosses (who could hold as many as 4 items at a time). But if I can just do max damage with every attack, what's the point?

And I know someone will come along and say, "But you don't have to do 9999 damage - you can play how you want!" This is completely true. And for me, the way I want to play is...not at all.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:

In a lot of good RPGs, you got the option between grind or difficulty. The fact is, you can beat the game without any cheats in 9-10 hours. Very little else takes a lot of time, so what in this game is so tedious that you need a 3x speed boost option? I'm saying this as someone who doesn't mind speedhack for this game. My issue with this game is the 9999 damage, full trance and ATB meter boosters without it disabling trophies. Those just breaks the game... :( The Excalibur II trophy would have been an interesting challenge where you get to play the game in a very different way, but as it is now it's simply an extra playthrough where you just quickly skip through the entire game and wasting 10 hours. :| 

FFIX is often known for it's slow battle system though, but this is not a typical FF thing. You can speed it up quite a bit though using various options. Nah, this has much more to do with SE just being embarrassed of what made them great and don't think people want what they made before, which is a real pity. Had the exact same game, perhaps with more polygons, been released today, I would easily have called it one of the best games on PS4. TBH, it is one of the best games on PS4 IMO...

Personally, I will just wait until the price drops and it's on sale. I got the game on PS1 and can play it on plenty other consoles and on emulator with up-scaled graphics. All I want it on PS4 for is just an additional reason to replay it and because I want to earn those trophies. :) 

Because although it’s one of my favorite games of all time, My reason for believing some of it is tedious is because I believe there are activities that fit the textbook definition of the word. long, repetitive, boring, not challenging and unnecessary.

For example, in order for Eidolons to do the most damage, you need to watch the full summon animations. This really adds to your play time. What about the Chocobo Treasure hunt? This takes an extremely long time. That would be fine, if there was some variety in these activities. But, many of these are essentially repeating a short activity that takes minutes, multiplied, equaling many hours, which to me is not challenging, nor necessary nor add anything to the game both story wise and fun wise. They are time sinks. That’s just my opinion though, but it’s an optional feature and choice is a beautiful thing

That’s the only boost I plan on using since speed boost doesn’t break the game. “No Encounters” can also be a good thing because revisiting areas and getting into battles with enemies that you greatly outmatch can be a waste of time. 

8 minutes ago, liquidsol said:

Because although it’s one of my favorite games of all time, My reason for believing some of it is tedious is because I believe there are activities that fit the textbook definition of the word. long, repetitive, boring, not challenging and unnecessary.

For example, in order for Eidolons to do the most damage, you need to watch the full summon animations. This really adds to your play time. What about the Chocobo Treasure hunt? This takes an extremely long time. That would be fine, if there was some variety in these activities. But, many of these are essentially repeating a short activity that takes minutes, multiplied, equaling many hours, which to me is not challenging, nor necessary nor add anything to the game both story wise and fun wise. They are time sinks. That’s just my opinion though, but it’s an optional feature and choice is a beautiful thing

That’s the only boost I plan on using since speed boost doesn’t break the game. “No Encounters” can also be a good thing because revisiting areas and getting into battles with enemies that you greatly outmatch can be a waste of time. 

You can skip animations, but waiting them out can actually make you restore more health through regen for example. ;) They're also pretty pointless to use in most cases, so not sure why you even bring them up. :S

Chocobo treasure hunt is a side-quest you can decide to if you really want to. I think it's fun, and happily do it for that aspect alone, and there's nice rewards for it. I both like the mini game, and unlocking the pieces and go look for them on the world map and find the treasures there etc, nice addition with the little hint etc too. :) Not sure how speeding up time will help you with that though. :S That's just going to make that mini game way harder and more time consuming. You can score real big scores if you do well and continue for a long time, after a while you get extra time etc too.

I don't have too much against the "no encounter" boost either. It's the 9999 damage and full trance bar and full ATB bar stuff that completely breaks the game. So unnecessary to make them not disable trophies.

Edited by MMDE

I like how it went from is it worth buying the game, to people complaining about the cheats that the devs had allowed into the ported version of it. I mean it isn't like they are forcing you to buy the game or even forcing you to use the cheats. Most likely the price is what it is, is because there is still a big fan base of final fantasy players out there, and a lot of players like myself who loved the idea of an exclusive theme and avatars added to it. Yea the pricing could have been better, but if you are a big fan of the game and want to own the game on the ps4 with a platinum than there should be no problem for the price. Heck I have seen crappy games, or even games that can be beaten in merely a few little hours that cost more than 17$, an never see people complain about the pricing and blah blah. If the price bothers you than wait for it to be on sale sooner or later, and if it is the cheats that bother you than don't enable them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tsuki_-no-_usagi said:

I like how it went from is it worth buying the game, to people complaining about the cheats that the devs had allowed into the ported version of it. I mean it isn't like they are forcing you to buy the game or even forcing you to use the cheats. Most likely the price is what it is, is because there is still a big fan base of final fantasy players out there, and a lot of players like myself who loved the idea of an exclusive theme and avatars added to it. Yea the pricing could have been better, but if you are a big fan of the game and want to own the game on the ps4 with a platinum than there should be no problem for the price. Heck I have seen crappy games, or even games that can be beaten in merely a few little hours that cost more than 17$, an never see people complain about the pricing and blah blah. If the price bothers you than wait for it to be on sale sooner or later, and if it is the cheats that bother you than don't enable them.

Obviously you haven't really followed the conversation. The issue is more related to using the boosters, like do 9999 damage, full trance and ATB bar, is not disabling trophies. Then you could pick between getting trophies and whatever you call just skipping a good portion of the gameplay.

And yes, many people have already said they will wait for a sale... -_- 

Edited by MMDE

To be honest it really a stupid thing to even debate over. Whatever happened to just playing a game anyway you want? Who cares if certain players want to use a cheat system that was built into the ported version. Are we all that butt hurt over who is the quickest at beating games or something. xD 

3 hours ago, tsuki_-no-_usagi said:

Yea the pricing could have been better, but if you are a big fan of the game and want to own the game on the ps4 with a platinum than there should be no problem for the price. Heck I have seen crappy games, or even games that can be beaten in merely a few little hours that cost more than 17$, an never see people complain about the pricing and blah blah. If the price bothers you than wait for it to be on sale sooner or later, and if it is the cheats that bother you than don't enable them.

As I pointed out, FFVII came with a theme, and wasn't priced as high. Sell one without avatars, if those are inflating the price, because I don't need them. It's thoughts like this, that let Square Enix get away with price gouging, in my opinion. Star Ocean 3 is also $20.99. When these games came out, they didn't charge more for them than any other retail release. It's inexcusable for them to do so now. 

17 hours ago, tsuki_-no-_usagi said:

To be honest it really a stupid thing to even debate over. Whatever happened to just playing a game anyway you want? Who cares if certain players want to use a cheat system that was built into the ported version. Are we all that butt hurt over who is the quickest at beating games or something. xD 

Literally the only draw for me to purchase this version of FFIX is the trophy set. If the trophies are made trivial, why pay $20.99 for a game that I already own on PS1, and can buy much cheaper on PS3?

There's no "debate" as far as my dollar is concerned; I won't be purchasing FFIX for trophies that are mostly made trivial. I tried it before with FFVII, and that game is just rotting on my system. Like I said just a few posts earlier - play the game however you want. For me, that way is not at all.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tsuki_-no-_usagi said:

Because it took away a lot of the challenge the trophies could have been. Yes, I'm disappointed about the boosters not disabling trophies. It makes this game a lot less attractive to get for me. I already got the game on PS1, beat it many times and played it even more. What this release is for me is the trophies...

9 hours ago, MMDE said:

Because it took away a lot of the challenge the trophies could have been. Yes, I'm disappointed about the boosters not disabling trophies. It makes this game a lot less attractive to get for me. I already got the game on PS1, beat it many times and played it even more. What this release is for me is the trophies...

Luckily this game has tons of great content that is enjoyable even with the booster.. playing thru it right now and feeling a lot better about this than I did in 7.. it is a bit taken away from and can feel bland but this is not the same kind of burden it was with 7 and not nearly as boring. Jump rope in IX really negates the platinum run, though since the boosters don't help with that.. I may never achieve the platinum, but grabbing the rest of these trophies was a must !