Have you ever thought about retiring from video games ?

Kale

10 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

It wouldn't be much of a break if it only lasted for a matter of hours. :P

Sometimes that is enough, sure.

But everyone is different so naturally its up to each individual to work that out.

11 minutes ago, Wired-Warlock said:

I posted a little way up the thread a while back, but here is another take on this...

I'm 56 very soon, but not even near considering the thought of giving it up anytime soon.

Plus PS6 will release in 4 and a half years time and that console will be a game changer for gaming in numerous ways. Can not wait!!!

Edited by Wired-Warlock

there would be two reasons I would:

1. I get to a point in my life where it's literally impossible for me to find time for it
2. It gets to the point where video games are exclusively mobile game titles and stray further away from a more hardcore audience

even with that last point, i'd really only be giving up modern gaming as I would just spend the rest of my life working through hundreds of games in my backlog. I also suppose that it's possible that I wake up one day and decide that I just don't want to anymore LOL

Edited by Porch

On 11/14/2017 at 6:39 AM, Chirithy84 said:

Just a hobby for decades, nothing more, nothing less.

And so long Trophy hunting and gaming don`t take over time, thats ok

I agree.

I'm from 1985 - October, precisely - and I've been gaming since summer 1990 (the original NES... my God, what a memory).

Even though, in some periods of my life, I've been quite busy (university, early years of working life, my fiancée, etc.), I really hope I will always find the time to keep gaming.

Fingers crossed!

😉😉🔝🔝🎮🎮

• Like 1

Reading some of the replies has been wild. It's a hobby, a pass-time not a job or a career, hence there's no such thing as "retiring". It makes as much sense as saying "I will retire from watching movies and reading books".

With that said I don't think I'll be stopping anytime soon. I've been gaming sometimes more often sometimes less from a young age and it's a great activity when you have nothing else to do. Like with every thing in life, why stop when it's fun and not affecting your life in a negative way?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZOLANTON said:

It's a hobby, a pass-time not a job or a career

I feel like increasingly people are treating their hobbies like jobs. I've noticed it especially so in gaming (beyond just trophy hunters), many folk 'on the grind' as they say with no sign of going pro or anything like that so I'm not sure why they treat it with such seriousness.

Some people literally turn their hobbies into jobs via side-hustles and they ain't too bad. Creative folk who sell their creations or something and ocassionally do some things to order which may be a tad less enjoyable or repetitive. But I'll never understand those who taint their hobby by treating it like a job without the benefit of actually being paid for their work.

I can't see myself 'retiring' because I enjoy gaming, the only thing that'll likely take me out will be deterioration of my joints due to a degenerative joint condition but honestly I'd still try to do something from time to time and at least be in and around the gaming scene in some capacity even if I'm just watching and chatting with others. This is a hobby I genuinely enjoy my time with and I don't over indulge with a ludicrous number of game hours and I don't 'grind' in the hours I do play.

I think I can see myself being an old man gamer, but who knows what life will hold and maybe I'll find something else that lights my fire even moreso and dedicate more of my time to that.

I don't see a scenario where I am not playing games. As an entertainment medium, there is simply no comparison to the enjoyment I get from playing.

I think people who "retire" from any hobby tend to do it because something else pops up that they feel that time is better spent on. This can be a different hobby, starting a family, or pursuing a career. Or because they may have been priced out of the hobby (like trying to keep up with MTG sets).