Have you ever thought about retiring from video games ?

Kale

Nah. Did that when I was younger and was juggling college/work. Too much going on and I wanted to focus on other things. Then, after I graduated, got back to it and started collecting physical games. Probably will keep on playing until I kick the bucket and leave it all to my kid. I don't plan to stop reading books and watching movies either, lol.

• Like 2

As @xZoneHunter stated, video games are just a hobby. I don't think 'retiring' is the best word to describe, cause even though one day you will eventually play something, doesn't matter what way you will. I feel It's better to describe it as 'take a time from it'. You could say 'retiring' if you're into Competitive Games such as Overwatch, League, CS:GO and etc, or MMORPG, it would be more understandable to use 'retiring'. 

Nope, I've never even considered it. There are some days where I don't feel like playing video games, but that doesn't last for long. They are a huge part of my life and have been for as long as I can remember. I can't even imagine what things would be like without them. I will most likely be paying video games either until I kick the bucket or am physically unable to.

Also, why is this in the forum games section? :hmm:

• Like 1

No way. This would be willingly giving  up one of the few things that still keep me in high spirits and moving along.

I have a very busy schedule now and don't play as much as I used to, but it's not because I don't want to play games anymore or have lost interest; it's just that there are priorities now: boring important things first, gaming second. ...though I still carry one of my portables with me to sneak in a  few mins when I get a chance.

Giving up games?  The thought occurred to me when I was going through that 2 year stint of anxiety and depression, with the shitty job and living situation.

The unfortunate thing about games, unlike other entertainment mediums, is that they're long and require a level of focus that reading a book or watching a movie just don't.  You can't "lose" at a movie or a television show, or listening to music.  So when your mind is elsewhere, which all of ours are/have been/will be when life goes to shit from time to time... games are usually the first thing to get set aside.  If you can't focus on them, they aren't fun, you might lose a lot and can make things feel worse.  Or they'll eat up a lot of time, time better spent fixing whatevers causing you stress or anxiety in the first place.

Like someone else said though, it's a hobby.  Taking a break from them to get other parts of your life figured out can be a very good thing, but "retiring" from them?  I don't think it's necessary to completely bail on things you enjoy doing (or else maybe you never really enjoyed them).  They'll always be there waiting for you when you come back down to Earth.

Edited by Dreakon13

Just now, Dedenne said:

I totally understand how you feel. :) Cause I thought about it very often.

The question is why. So for me it was because I didn't enjoying it the way I used to in the past and it wasn't fun anymore. 

For me, who has not many friends in real life, video games always were something were I could be who I want to be. 

But the older I get the real life get me more and more. And I wan't to see the world. Not just sitting in my room playing games. Alone. That's why I play not that often anymore. And take months whithout playing from time to time. 

So, this was very personal to wrote.

What is your reason?

my unstability is the reason.

I'm not a fan of the direction gaming is heading whatsoever, and I worry for the future. There will probably be no games left that interest me and thus cause me to quit gaming, but I hope that never happens because I still really enjoy gaming. But lootboxes and online will bring it all crashing down and I'll have no choice.

Gaming is a hobby for me, not a job. As such, if I have time and I feel like playing a game then I'll do so. If I don't feel like playing a game I'll listen to some music, or pick up my guitar, go for a drive or something else that tickles my fancy. There have been times where I haven't touched a video game for weeks and other times where I spend an unhealthy amount of time playing. 

So no, I've never thought about retiring from video games. As long as I enjoy playing, I'll keep playing. 

Parker

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Parker said:

Gaming is a hobby for me, not a job. As such, if I have time and I feel like playing a game then I'll do so. If I don't feel like playing a game I'll listen to some music, or pick up my guitar, go for a drive or something else that tickles my fancy. There have been times where I haven't touched a video game for weeks and other times where I spend an unhealthy amount of time playing. 

So no, I've never thought about retiring from video games. As long as I enjoy playing, I'll keep playing. 

Parker

Pretty much this. I've had periods of my life where I haven't played any video games for a year; it wasn't a conscious decision or anything, I just didn't feel the need or desire to. Like right now, I haven't played drums in a year seeing as I'm living abroad and don't have access to my drumkit, but I know that when I return to Ireland I'll probably play them straight away.

Video games are like any other love or passion of mine, I'll always dip my toe into the water as long as I continue to enjoy them.