Kill Your Completion - 6

On 4/1/2018 at 7:52 AM, MarkusT1992 said:

Bonus Game: Far Cry Primal

L7a3706.png

It took some time to decide what to play as my bonus game but after hearing everyone talking about the new Far Cry, I gave it a shot. That's not the new one? Well I know.

Far Cry Primal is, at least for me, a spin-off in the Far Cry series. I played FC 3 and FC 4 and normaly it all about shooting bad guys with your weapons.

This one is set 10000 B.C so now guns here. Instead of using pistols, machine guns and rocket launcher you use primitive weapons like spears, bows or clubs.

You are a member of the Wenja tribe fighting against the other tribes around. For that you atablish a little village inside a cave by rescuing Wenja to grow your village. With materials found all over the map you can upgrade your village to gain some bonuses like the aballity to learn more skills or just experience.

I don't know what the story wil be about just yet as I'm not far into it. Most af the time I tried to gather materials and explore the map.

Early in the game you meet a shaman who will show you how to tame the wild animals. From now on you can tame some specific animals and use them in fights afterwards. Each animal has other stats and special abillities like attacking unsuspicious enemies ore discovering the map around you and such things.

Like in every Far Cry Ubisoft game you have a lot of collectables to find. Fortunately they are show on the map so not really hard to find, just a tedious task if you want all.

You also have to collect flowers, wood and stone to upgrade your village, craft weapons.or heal yourselfe.

Hunting animals will give you meat and hides for crafting new bags to carry more meat ore hides.

All in all I enjoyed my time with this game. It's not like the other Far Cry games but still fun. The only downside is the combat. Most of it is melee with little ranged weapons so far. You can also throw your clubs or spear but you only have a very limited amount of them. You can craft new ones but need materials for them and they can be used up pretty fast in combat without the abillity to get more.

Time played: 3h 15min

Trophies: 5/51

Rating: :silver::silver::silver:

I'll write my final summary later today.

Markus,

The crafting and skills trees will make this game more fun. As you advance, you unlock a bird ( hawk? eagle? Can't remember), that gives you aerial vision. So you can do some reconnaissance from above. Eventually, you will unlock weapons for the bird and be able to drop ordinance on your enemies. There will come a point where you can take over outposts without even stepping foot in the camp.

Also, not sure if you've unlocked the animal taming yet but do so asap. You can't travel very far in the wild if you don't have a big animal by your side protecting you. Early in the game, I would try to explore, only to get mauled by a big-ass beast. The game really does it well. I'd be walking around and then stop and say "did I hear something?" Two seconds later, I'd be flattened by a beast flying in as fast as Jimmy Superfly Snuka. It was shit-my-pants scary!

What turned me off of this game as how much you needed to rely on beast-vision to get through the game. Ubisoft put all this time into the graphics, only to make you play hours of it in gray-and-white so you can keep track of your prey. That highligher yellow gets really annoying. 

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Markus,

The crafting and skills trees will make this game more fun. As you advance, you unlock a bird ( hawk? eagle? Can't remember), that gives you aerial vision. So you can do some reconnaissance from above. Eventually, you will unlock weapons for the bird and be able to drop ordinance on your enemies. There will come a point where you can take over outposts without even stepping foot in the camp.

Also, not sure if you've unlocked the animal taming yet but do so asap. You can't travel very far in the wild if you don't have a big animal by your side protecting you. Early in the game, I would try to explore, only to get mauled by a big-ass beast. The game really does it well. I'd be walking around and then stop and say "did I hear something?" Two seconds later, I'd be flattened by a beast flying in as fast as Jimmy Superfly Snuka. It was shit-my-pants scary!

What turned me off of this game as how much you needed to rely on beast-vision to get through the game. Ubisoft put all this time into the graphics, only to make you play hours of it in gray-and-white so you can keep track of your prey. That highligher yellow gets really annoying. 

I already have the bird (I think it was an owl) and the beast taming. I even tamed a few beast and think I have a good one for the start.

Regarding the skill trees, in my opinion there are too many. It's hard to decide what to learn next. A few less would be better if you ask me.

The first and only outpost I took over so far wasn't hard to do sneaky. You can lure the enemies pretty easy and kill them with the bow from out of sight.

I have to agree on the beast vision. Most of the time I played I had it activated. A toggle button would be a better option in this game, instead of having to activate it every time it runs out.

Despite my rating I enjoyed what I played, it just didn't feel like a real Far Cry but more than something else.

• Like 1

I tried to go back to Gravity Rush 2. Started the DLC to see, if I'd like it more and the conclusion is--- I don't. Actually it gaev me more reason to dislike the game.

You can save the game at any time, that apparently doesn't matter though. I progressed through the first section of the first episode, saved and quit the game. When I loaded it back up it started me at the very beginning of the mission. Again, bad game design in my book. If I can't load the save from where I left off, then why give me the option to do so? That's just dumb.

Furthermore I still think the controls are clunky and the aerial attacks are incredibly inaccurate. To top things off, I finished episodes 3 and 4 yesterday and felt ill after playing for less than 2 hours straight. I'm going to give it one more shot with the main game, and if that should happen again I'm just gonna drop it for good.

• Like 4

@voodoo_eyes Shame you're not enjoying Gravity Rush 2 as much as I did. :(

Star Ocean was finally vanquished yesterday! I still have a fairly high opinion of it, but some of the Platinum requirements are dumb. Like the 1.5 Kingdom Hearts games on the PS3, the difficulties do not stack, so you have to do 3 whole playthroughs. And when a lot of the story can't be skipped, and you have to keep save scumming to craft powerful equipment so you can survive the higher difficulties, it can get pretty tedious. 

Then there's the Battle Trophies.. While most aren't completely ridiculous, one requires one million hits. After 3 playthroughs and doing all the other BTs, I had a whopping 131k. ._. So, I basically had to set the game up in a way, where my party could fight and kill one of the postgame dungeon bosses while I was afk. This took them about 3 hours each time, and only accumulated around 80k per fight. I played Psycho Pass on my Vita, while this was going on. But you can see how dumb of a requirement this was? 25-30 hours of idling..

But I'm thrilled to have it as a milestone, as I thought it was a great game and I love the series. 

Also Platinumed Titan Souls. Just had to beat the last boss on Hard, from where I left off during the event. And it took a number of tries, as rust had set in and I was never that good at killing him to begin with. Lol. But I prevailed. Don't know what I'll go back to next from my KYC games. 

• Like 3

Earned the :platinum: for Knack this morning. It wasn't one of my KYC events because my son had already earned a trophy in it on my account last month. It's a mediocre game at best imo. It looks cool but the story is pretty bland and predictable, and the combat is atrocious. Going to plat was an exercise in frustration, and patience, and I'm glad I never have to touch this game again. Will definitely never spend money on the 2nd game. 

Now I'm going to focus on Rime with Mim, and Catalyst in my spare time. 

@voodoo_eyesKnack does the same thing in regards to saving. Doesn't matter how far you get, you always start at the beginning of whatever chapter you're in. At least it tracks if you opened any chests, though everything else resets. Does GR2 save your progress on collectibles, challenges, and upgrades at least. If not, then there's really no reason for the random saves. 

• Like 4

@Hemiak Collectibles in the first episode of the DLC don't get saved (it's one of the few missions, if not the only one that has collectibles). Not sure how it is in the main game as I haven't seen any collectibles yet. In the main game I'm actually not sure if you can save during a mission, as I always saved after completing the mission.

On 2018-02-26 at 11:44 AM, jasondm300 said:

I've been looking forward to this.  I know I am guilty of the multi game reviews, but I'll try harder.  I promise.  Now on to the main event

I'm doing the 10/3 deal

Mar 1-3: Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet (PS4, Third Person Shooter)

Mar 4-6: Dungeons II (PS4, Real-Time Strategy)

Mar 7-9: Handball 2016 (PS3, Handball simulator)

Mar 10-12: Not a Hero (PS4, 2D shooter)

Mar 13-15: The Last Guy (PS3, Strategy/Maze)

Mar 16-18: Fuse (PS3, Shooter)

Mar 19-21: Dead Island: Riptide - Definitive Edition (PS4, FPS)

Mar 22-24: Crypt of the Necrodancer (Vita, Rhythm game)

Mar 25-27: Zeno Clash II (PS3, First Person action)

Mar 28-30: Oddworld: New and Tasty (Vita, 2D Platformer)

Not a hero was a pretty fast and fun 100%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mking_63 said:

More clean-up.

Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut

Cleaned up the last trophy I needed for the PS4 version and stacked the PS3 version as well. I actually got the 6th fastest achiever on PSNP for the PS3 version with 3 hours and 55 minutes by doing the speed run levels first and then going through the story mode in one sitting. I had a unique technical issue with the PS3 version auto-saving not actually saving. It really sucked to get gold in one of the time trials only to go to the main menu again and realize the time didn't save. I don't know what caused the game to go into it's glitched state, whether it was restarting from the middle of the level or what but in order to ensure I was saving my times I had to constantly close the game completely and start it again fresh between each run. Fortunately the levels were still fresh in my head from the PS4 version and it didn't take too many runs to get the required amount of gold times to unlock the one time trial level with a trophy associated with it. That trophy is pretty much just for doing the level in the intended manner and that level was one of the more enjoyable time trial levels. The main reason why I then went through the story in one sitting was that I was uncertain whether the save function actually worked.

As it stands I would still be interested in QUBE 2. Hopefully it's a little more polished technically and the emphasis on timed levels has been somewhat reduced.

@The Spark Care to comment?

I'm always willing to talk about stuff :)

I never 100%ed the first game, I gave up on the challenge speedruns. I thought it was a very cool game though.

I haven't bought the sequel yet - in the end, I decided that the asking price was a bit much for how short it seemed to be according to howlongtobeat.com and seeing as I still have plenty of backlog games... Decided to finally get through Assassin's Creed Origins, which had been sitting on the shelf for way too long considering how much I enjoyed it.

I'll definitely want to play Q.U.B.E. 2 but I'll wait for the first or second sale, depending on what I'm doing at that point.

• Like 2

Plats for Mass Effect: Andromeda and Dreamfall Chapters obtained, and my completion is now higher than what I began this installment of KYC with! Just have World of Final Fantasy left from this event's list. Dreamfall is not the kind of game that should require two playthroughs, in my opinion. Kind of boring to do a second time. And Shitbot >>>>>>>>>>>> Kidbot. LOL. But it only took me a day to rush through.

Mass Effect stayed entertaining throughout, and I put about 40 more hours into the campaign. Planets are so large, and have so many sidequests! I did encounter some bugs, but nothing too bad. Besides a trophy I had to delete the patch for, that is.. 

Saves from an updated version can not be loaded with an unpatched game, so I had to start a new one. The trophy appears to be retroactive, though, as as soon as I was able to equip a profile the trophy popped. Didn't have to wait till I had 3 again. Took less than an hour. 

I really liked how your party members would have conversations, while you were out and about. Kept things interesting, and some of them were really funny. Like PeeBee faking an orgasm, to see if Jaal was really asleep. :lol: She was probably my favorite character. Made me laugh a lot. 

Edited by Fidel
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Fidel said:

Plats for Mass Effect: Andromeda and Dreamfall Chapters obtained, and my completion is now higher than what I began this installment of KYC with! Just have World of Final Fantasy left from this event's list. Dreamfall is not the kind of game that should require two playthroughs, in my opinion. Kind of boring to do a second time. And Shitbot >>>>>>>>>>>> Kidbot. LOL. But it only took me a day to rush through.

Mass Effect stayed entertaining throughout, and I put about 40 more hours into the campaign. Planets are so large, and have so many sidequests! I did encounter some bugs, but nothing too bad. Besides a trophy I had to delete the patch for, that is.. 

Saves from an updated version can not be loaded with an unpatched game, so I had to start a new one. The trophy appears to be retroactive, though, as as soon as I was able to equip a profile the trophy popped. Didn't have to wait till I had 3 again. Took less than an hour. 

I really liked how your party members would have conversations, while you were out and about. Kept things interesting, and some of them were really funny. Like PeeBee faking an orgasm, to see if Jaal was really asleep. :lol: She was probably my favorite character. Made me laugh a lot. 

Yeah the 2md playthrough of Dreamfall Chapters is a drag. I guess they wanted to make sure you don't miss out on any of the sexual references along the way :dunno:.

14 minutes ago, Fidel said:

"Let's head for the Cock and Pus-" "Rooster and Kitten."

Exactly, like that one. Some of them are a bit more subtle, like a reference to a bed being rather bouncy.or the more blatant ones about a certain "Rod of Joie". To be fair some of those lines are actually what make that game more interesting than your average adventure game. Although I think they went a bit overboard with it, as it becomes somewhat excessive.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 4:27 PM, PerryToxteth said:

So, 15 days after the event and a quick update. DizzyShadow further destroyed my completion percentage with his recommendation of Cars 3: Driven to Win. :D  This was definitely my quickest purchase based on a KYC review! I got it for my son's birthday and he loves it! Fun, MarioKart-style game with different racing modes. I'm surprised at how grindy some of the trophies are, though no task seems too difficult...yet. 

Glad to hear he is enjoying it and that i could be of some help, I've lost count of the number of games i've bought after hearing about them in these threads. You are right about it being grindy, i got the platinum earlier this week but i did question a couple of times whether i was going to slog it out or not, i think its the only reason that the platinum is below 20% rarity. There is definitely nothing to difficult as you can always play on easy which removes the challenge, the one thing to watch out for is the skill point which requires you to get 3 stars on a best lap challenge as lowering the difficultly doesn't help here, but its still easiest enough to get after a few attempts. i also had to manufacture a couple of the other skill points in multiplayer as they seemed entirely luck based on having the right weapon at exactly the right moment.

That was actually my 4th platinum from the event (along with Hidden Agenda, Walking Dead & Burnout Paradise), my completion is now back above where is started, i fully intend to go back and finish some of the other games (Madden & De Blob) at the very least, but God of War arrived today so that will be stealing my time for the immediate future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...