PSN Store Purchase Error Surge???

B1rvine

Recently, within the last 6 months or so, any PSN Store purchases have been giving me errors every time we have a sale. The official message in my error history is, "The credit card on record is currently unavailable."  or  "The credit card is not valid..."  (These aren't exact quotes.)  I've been using the same credit card for the last 2 years, nothing has changed, etc.  Sony's official answer was basically their network was so busy, the request timed out, which in turn puts an alarm for my bank based on blah blah blah, and I have to wait 24 hours before trying again.

Is anyone else seeing this or it is just me?

Edited by B1rvine

I've never seen that before, although I've never used a credit card on there before (I'll use PSN cards bought at GameStop, or PayPal).

Are you trying to buy something via a system store, or are you just going to the site on a PC/tablet/etc?

The "Credit card is not valid" error is actually very common and has been around for years. I don't think they'll ever fix it. I ran into it for the first time about 3 years ago and have had it so many times I've now switched to using psn cards. I would get the error with paypal as well. Sometimes it would take up to a week for my credit card to work again. I've missed out on a few sales because of it.

Honestly I don't think Sony know how to fix the issue or they just can't be bothered. They are well aware of it. There are plenty of forums out there with people having the same problem so don't worry there is nothing wrong with your card.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Masamune said:

Are you trying to buy something via a system store, or are you just going to the site on a PC/tablet/etc?

Trying to goto the PSN Store on my Vita.  I purchased one item, then tried to get another a few moments later, and got the error.  Also used the same card on the PS4 yesterday to renew my PS+.

Honestly I don't think Sony know how to fix the issue or they just can't be bothered.

I did call them up the first time I ran into this, their official response was "High purchase activity causes timeouts which result in false flags, that in turn cause 24 hour wait periods."  Yeaaah... no.

Edited by B1rvine

Well, I've been paying by credit card many times over the last 3 years and never had this problem, but I'm not sure if I ever made 2 or more purchases back to back. I also have a two-step authentification, where I still need to enter a code from a text message on my phone, maybe that makes a difference?

• Like 1

It sounds like you are making too many purchases in a short time frame. Have you tried a different card and work right after? Amount per transaction isn't the issues its how close the same charge from a service/retailer is. Itll also vary by credit card. Have you call them and see if they are denying it? It could be a timeout error that caused your card to flag that service. Just too many variables.

39 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

maybe that makes a difference?

17 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Just too many variables.

The Vita only lets you buy one item at a time, there's not an add to cart option like the other systems.  I have two step authentication.  This is also a new issue, I've done the same back to back purchases before with the exact same card, and haven't had this issue. I guess anything is possible with my bank etc, just seems odd its happening so frequently now vs before.

Ive had a similar problem. Been using the same credit card for several years but all of a sudden i started getting error msgs about the card. 

Contacted support and they blamed it on me chaning password or writing in the password wrong when buying stuff. 

Because of that i got a 2 week timeout on that card. Maybe it something similar you are experiencing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

It sounds like you are making too many purchases in a short time frame. Have you tried a different card and work right after? Amount per transaction isn't the issues its how close the same charge from a service/retailer is. Itll also vary by credit card. Have you call them and see if they are denying it? It could be a timeout error that caused your card to flag that service. Just too many variables.

3 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

I would switch to a PC for solid connection.  Use the web store.  https://store.playstation.com

It's not from making too many purchases too quickly or how you make the purchase (paypal or credit card transaction, web store or ps system). It's also not an issue with your bank or credit card provider. I got the error after making no purchases for several months. I've tried different credit cards from different banks as well as through paypal. I've also tried through the web store. My banks have told me there is no problem at their end and my cards work perfectly everywhere else. The error locks your entire account from making any purchases other than by using a psn card. Eventually you'll be able to use your cards again but it can take a lot longer than the 24 hours they tell you. After calling Sony numerous times and getting different answers it's clear to me they have no idea why this happens.

7 minutes ago, Mystvayne said:

It's not from making too many purchases too quickly or how you make the purchase (paypal or credit card transaction, web store or ps system). It's also not an issue with your bank or credit card provider. I got the error after making no purchases for several months. I've tried different credit cards from different banks as well as through paypal. I've also tried through the web store. My banks have told me there is no problem at their end and my cards work perfectly everywhere else. The error locks your entire account from making any purchases other than by using a psn card. Eventually you'll be able to use your cards again but it can take a lot longer than the 24 hours they tell you. After calling Sony numerous times and getting different answers it's clear to me they have no idea why this happens.

Like I said there are too many variables, too many ways it could be an issue to his problem. Its clear nobody has a clear idea whats the problem.

could be related to the limits on your card set out by your bank...which could be a good thing indicating security standards...

I've been using credit cards since I can remember...both Japanese (when I lived there) and Canadian ones (where I live now)...multiple purchases back-to-back between ps3 and ps4 and also hundreds dropped in one shot at times...never any issues...i have quite a high limit though...not sure if it makes any difference...

edit : post above suggests it's a glitch on Sony's end...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

Fraud protection is too sensitive. Your transaction probably got denied midway somehow and Sony immediately put your account on alert which makes you not able to purchase in a set time or your card automated system thinks its a fraud and blocks. These errors could be from anything. Fixing is impossible and truthfully its not worth their time to invest in if only a handful is getting these issues. 

I havent trusted Sony with my credit card in awhile. Buying psn cards elsewhere is best imho.

Thanks for all the responses guys, its clear others are having this issue besides me.  I'll also point out it appears my Vita is the only system affected. Sometimes after I get this on the Vita, the PS4 still works... :huh:

28 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Because of that i got a 2 week timeout on that card. Maybe it something similar you are experiencing.

And then after you try 3 weeks later, it gives the exact same error message. :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

I havent trusted Sony with my credit card in awhile. Buying psn cards elsewhere is best imho.

Yeah, I tried the PSN card option for awhile, but I typically buy games at least every two weeks, so going out to the store every time is a bit of an annoyance.

Anyway, I guess this is solved.

• Like 1

My recommendation is use the PS Store through a web browser and buy gift cards through Amazon or somewhere you trust.  There's no reason to keep your credit card on file (and as Sony has shown before, it can be a huge liability).  The webstore is much easier to navigate and shop, and adding gift cards to your account in the amount you plan to spend makes you a non-target for hackers (or at least they can't buy stuff on your account).  It only takes an extra minute to shop for a card and enter the code online, and the amounts have a lot of variance depending on what you're buying.  There's no reason to go to a physical store either, and at least through Amazon the code is sent instantaneously after checkout.  Since you won't be running into errors anymore doing it this way, it'll actually be a lot faster.

• Like 1

I've ran into this issue once and what worked for me was inputing my details exactly as they are on my credit card, this includes the address as it is on your online banking account. Once I had formatted my address to look exactly the way it was on my online banking account, I was able to make purchases again without issue.

I got it a few months ago. pretty sure is due to a sony security feature. after some back and forth with customer support i just ended up using the same card on amazon to buy a psn card and have been doing that ever since

I got it a few months ago. pretty sure is due to a sony security feature. after some back and forth with customer support i just ended up using the same card on amazon to buy a psn card and have been doing that ever since

Can't remember exactly who, but someone in the PSN chat had the exact same issue.

I've personally had the exact same issue for a year and a half. It works when you buy stuff through consoles, but not using the web store (unless it's free). The card is rejected, and doesn't matter if I re-add it or use some other. The same added card will work on consoles, so it's all pretty annoying. Even talked with my bank about it, they say it's PSN.