Do you consider "Gaming" to be a Sport?

Beyondthegrave07

Do you consider playing video games (competitively) as a sport?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider playing video games (competitively) as a sport?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know (on the fence)
    • Depends (explain in comments below)

I always think it's funny when they call it e-sports but then again the way the world is headed it wouldn't surprise me to see counter strike or something similarly lame in an Olympic games.

Yes for DDR  and maybe some VR stuff (Beat Saber comes to mind).

No for almost anything else.

Same reason I don't consider car racing a sport. All the actual physical work is done by some machine.

Edited by shadaik
  • Like 3

On 3/28/2018 at 4:08 AM, Z1MZUM said:

No and I think eSports are a massive joke.

you resume it all ,like NfT's for me it is just a massive scam pushed forward by those who gets real money on this by taming perceptive minds (like watching real sport it is not for me) i prefer playing myself  instead

On 2/18/2024 at 5:27 AM, shadaik said:

Same reason I don't consider car racing a sport. All the actual physical work is done by some machine.

Totally on board with this argument

It's all about performance. When you're playing a game with zero margin of error you really can feel it in your heart and how it affects your biology. I like to run about 14-20 miles a week and the workload on the mind an body feels the same whether I'm just running on a road or dodging a screen full of bullets.

But, really, if you don't care then you simply don't care.

On 2/18/2024 at 6:27 AM, shadaik said:

Not true. Racing requires a ton of physical work by the person driving and a ton of hand-eye coordination for long periods of time and limited breaks. A racecar can get up to 140 degrees x 500 miles, it's why racecar drivers do a lot of cardio and conditioning for that reason. The mental and physical aspect of racing is highly underestimated by people on the outside that don't really follow it unfortunately. It's one of the most physical sports there is in reality though with certain disciplines being even more difficult than others. 

Be it competitive or not, the moment you sit and play video games there are no calories being wasted. This is why a majority of "competitive players" end up looking below average due to a lack of exercise, their strict routines makes them unable to physically take good care of their bodies. A balance is always needed when it comes to this sort of hobby, moderation is key. So no, I would say it's far from a sport.

Edited by imminent-file5

I am really on the fence about this one. When I think about sports what comes to mind are physical activities, but isnt Chess considered a sport? Being a board game instead of a digital one makes so much difference? 

When I am competing, or doing something that is really hard, or needs a lot of focus, I sweat, sometimes I feel my heartbeat increasing, sport is about this kind of feeling too. And it is mentaly draining too. 

I think the bad body image associated with gaming is that most people do it leisurely while eating unhealthy food. I remember reading that pro gamers have some diet regimen, but maybe it's more focused on increasing your concentration or something like this, and not change your figure that much. Besides I know a lot of people that play football (or soccer if you will) and have very big beer bellies and are nowhere near healthy.

To me it does not matter much, and esports seems like a better label. At this point seems like some of the negativity around gaming will never cease, so it might be better being it's own thing.   

On 1/1/2020 at 5:04 AM, jackmadrox said:

No, but if Nascar is considered an actual sport, then so should gaming. 

On 2/18/2024 at 8:27 AM, shadaik said:

It's a very known fact F1 drivers can lose between 1 to 4 kilos in a single race, reason they get weighted before and after every race. 

Racing is the most underrated in this aspect; it's literally one of the most draining sports you can find.

Edited by Jeanolt

Nah. Even for sports where the sportsman doesn't move too much like racing or golf (like someone else said on the first page), they still need to have the discipline to train their bodies, they still need to have a good diet and train in a gym to be able to pilot a fucking killing machine like a F1 car, or to hit the ball with enough strength in golf. Videogaming is just sitting on a couch, chair, or bed with a sack of doritos and a can of sprite. It's not a sport, even if you "train" all day in front of a computer. If you want to call it an electronic sport, then it's ok, I guess...

It depends on the game.

Konami did several other physical games for arcades around the time they started DDR. They did some "mocap" sports games. Another one was Perfect Pool where you use an actual cue to hit the mounted ball and make a shot. This one had both an "amusement only" version and an alternate one that paid cash prizes.

Also they made a Samurai theme sword game Tsurugi (aka Blade of Honor). You use a wand controllerto simulate guards and slashes. Sadly this one didn't get a console version... it could've been done for PS3 or Wii easily when motion controllers started appearing for home use. Namco did a somewhat similar game Mazan with ninjas.